Ranged powerset suggestion: Vorpal/Teleportation Blast

Anubys

I know what you're thinking. "What the heck is Vorpal?", "isn't Vorpal that Judgement Incarnate power where you teleport-kick?", and "isn't Vorpal judgement technically melee?"

My answer to these questions is: Yes. Wouldn't it be great to have a powerset that takes all these aspects, and blends them into a powerset for ranged characters?

Vorpal/Teleportation Blast

Vorpal Punch: you quickly teleport to the enemy, punching him for moderate damage, before returning to your original location. Damage: light, Recharge: quick

Vorpal Two-Punch: you quickly teleport to the enemy, giving him both barrels for moderate damage, before returning to your original location. Damage: moderate, Recharge: quick

Vorpal Crippling Kick: you quickly teleport in a cone in front of you, kicking the legs out from underneath all enemies, slowing them down and offering a high chance of knockdown. Damage: light, Recharge: moderate

Vorpal Power-aid: you drink a powerful concoction that gives you what you crave: more power. for a short duration, your attacks will do bonus damage and you will have a tohit buff. Additionally, your single target attacks will have a moderate chance to chain damage and spread to other enemies near the original target. This chance will decrease for each successive enemy hit in this way. AoEs will have their arc or radius increased slightly.

Vorpal Crane Kick: Like the move in Karate Kid, this move is more accurate than most, and is extremely difficult to defend against. Teleporting to a single enemy, you balance on one leg, jumping into the air as you kick your enemy. Your kick connects with the enemy's neck or jaw so forcefully that you have a chance to knock him into the air (slow motion like MA:Ki Push, and more KU than KB). Even if the enemy is not knocked into the air, he will be stunned and unable to take action for a short period of time. Damage: High, Recharge: Moderate

Vorpal Charge: You move so quickly that you appear to teleport to a position far in front of your current location. This power is not targeted, but rather, you attack in the direction the camera is facing. You charge in this direction moving so quickly that you disintegrate anything in your path, including any enemies. This attack is very similar to a very narrow cone attack (like DP's snipe), and any enemies that survive will have moderate DoT applied. Damage: extreme, Recharge: very long.

Vorpal Kung-Fu: You know Kung-Fu. You think that's air you're breathing? Selecting this power will give you the ability to choose one of three toggles to enhance your attacks or gain defense. Vorpal Rage will increase your damage by 10% while toggled, and will slightly increase your recharge rate. Vorpal Caution(?) will give you a 12% bonus to your defense while attacks are animating and for a very short time thereafter, due to your quick teleportation mastery, and will apply a movement bonus. Vorpal Precision will add a chance to every attack to cause slow-motion KU to the enemy, but at the cost of some of your recovery rate and -15% damage, and greatly increases the chance of attacks chaining while under the effect of Vorpal Power-Aid

Vorpal Isolation: You teleport to your targeted enemy, performing  multiple spin-kicks around him simultaneously. The enemy will be unharmed, but all the enemies around him will take moderate damage over time. The undamaged target will be terrified of being attacked and will lose some resistance and defense to your next attack. Damage: moderate, Recharge: long.

Vorpal Meteor: You teleport to the targeted location, except the targeted location is about 15 feet (5 meters) above the ground, and you have accelerated yourself to faster than a speeding bullet, hotter than a small sun. You slam into the ground, creating a shockwave that pummels enemies, the dust and grime blinding them and lowering their tohit chance. All enemies have a high chance of being knocked off their feet. This attack will permanently teleport you to the desired location. Damage: extreme, Recharge: long

• Like 4

Wow, that would be awesome... It would also be a set that is easy to get three of four damage purple sets, which is always nice! However it would be nice to have a single-target ranged, maybe as a T1 or T2...

Now I'm looking forward to finishing off the melee powerset compilation and talking about ranged!

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Oh, man, this would be a really cool set, and I agree with @Steampunkette, it'd be perfect for a Speedster-type character, especially paired with Time Manipulation or Kinetics on a Defender or Corruptor.

I could also see this getting ported as an assault set without too much difficulty.

Animation-wise, they could also re-use the "vanish" VFX from Burst of Speed for a lot of the attack animations, coupled with the Vorpal Judgement pseudopets for the actual hit animation.

Probably have it be a very fast-animating and fast-recharge set at the cost of lower Damage per Animation.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:39 PM, Anubys said:

Vorpal Charge: You move so quickly that you appear to teleport to a position far in front of your current location. This power is not targeted, but rather, you attack in the direction the camera is facing. You charge in this direction moving so quickly that you disintegrate anything in your path, including any enemies. This attack is very similar to a very narrow cone attack (like DP's snipe), and any enemies that survive will have moderate DoT applied. Damage: extreme, Recharge: very long.

I do think this might be a really tough to do, simply because there's not a way in-engine that I know of to do teleporting without targeting a spot. I could be wrong, though.

• Like 1

My only concern is that a) you'd basically have to either use some sort of generic silhouette or body shape for the attacks, (picture something like phantom army), and/or you'd need at least 3 versions of the power, (male, female, huge).  I suppose you could do something like what shield charge or lightning rod do, but would you be vulnerable/targetable while you're moving around?  Also, and sorry for being pedantic, but I always thought that "vorpal" was used to denote something that was unusually sharp, (like the vorpal blade from the jabberwock), or the "vorpal bunny" from Monty Python, not some kind of hyperspeed "flash step"...

Edited by biostem

15 hours ago, biostem said:

Also, and sorry for being pedantic, but I always thought that "vorpal" was used to denote something that was unusually sharp, (like the vorpal blade from the jabberwock), or the "vorpal bunny" from Monty Python, not some kind of hyperspeed "flash step"...

That’s exactly what vorpal is generally understood to mean. Whoever named Vorpal judgment back in the day was going way against the grain.

Technically, going back to Lewis Carroll, meant deadly or well-crafted. The vorpal judgement basically means deadly judgement. It just sounds so close to warp or portal, as in warping spacetime, or a spacetime portal, that it feels right.

That being said, I think that adding an attack where you throw a knife through a portal as the T2 would be a good idea.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zepp said:

Technically, going back to Lewis Carroll, meant deadly or well-crafted. The vorpal judgement basically means deadly judgement. It just sounds so close to warp or portal, as in warping spacetime, or a spacetime portal, that it feels right.

That being said, I think that adding an attack where you throw a knife through a portal as the T2 would be a good idea.

It would be interesting if they implemented something like a "Flash Step Melee" set, which had a slightly longer range than typical melee attacks, (maybe 20' or so), with an ultimate that was an AoE that teleported you to the target location to deliver a series of blows to all enemies in the area.

• Like 1

• 2 months later

Vorpal is a word that was coined by Lewis Carroll, and its closest proximal definition is likely akin to deadly. As such I am fine with its usage in this game...

• Like 1

Vorpal means "Takes off Heads"

In the Jabberwocky, the Vorpal Blade goes snicker-snack, snicker-snack he left it dead and with it's head he went galumphing back.

D&D took that quite literally and carried it forward into Vorpal Swords, which on a critical hit, behead your opponent, instantly killing them. Unless it's an Ettin or a Hydra, in which case it specifically, -explicitly- loses only one head per critical hit.

It has nothing to do with teleportation or being "Deadly".

If you replace vorpal with deadly in the Jabberwocky, the sentence maintains cohesiveness and the meaning is unaltered. The D&D interpretation is one way to look at it, but it is only one way. CoH took a different interpretation which is in conflict with Gygax & Arneson but not with Carroll.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 12:33 AM, Steampunkette said:

Vorpal means "Takes off Heads"

In the Jabberwocky, the Vorpal Blade goes snicker-snack, snicker-snack he left it dead and with it's head he went galumphing back.

D&D took that quite literally and carried it forward into Vorpal Swords, which on a critical hit, behead your opponent, instantly killing them. Unless it's an Ettin or a Hydra, in which case it specifically, -explicitly- loses only one head per critical hit.

It has nothing to do with teleportation or being "Deadly".

Well actually I believe that is the D&D definition, Lewis Carroll actually said he didn't know what it meant.

and oops reading more of the thread I've been beaten to the punch and am flogging an inanimate equine,  sorry!!!

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!