Official 'enterbasefrompasscode' Resolution thread

I know the enterbasefrompasscode is being removed. I know that it is a dev tool and not supposed to be given to players. 

Base building has been given a life of its own and has organically become a game mode within the game.  I know many people have used the command to explore basses and share ideas, using the command to create a community of base builders.

In light of this I propose reducing the cooldown time of the Base Transporter temp power to 5 minutes or less. 

Being a temp power it can easily be disabled in certain game modes. The current 30 min cooldown makes the power much too long to be useful to the base building creators.

Edited

Here is the summation of this thread:

On 9/1/2019 at 6:37 PM, justicebeliever said:

My take for most people is that there are 4 things they are asking for...where do you land?

• CORE ASK - Reduce the interrupt time for the current Base Teleporter...clearly, it needs some interrupt to avoid being an exploit
  • CORE ASK - Reduce the recharge time for the current Base Teleporter...something significantly less than the current 30 minutes
  • Secondary Ask - Allow someway to Bookmark Bases, in the way that using the GM command allowed us to do when using it with a macro
  • Nice to Have - Improve the animation, or perhaps allow customization
Edited by Cinderwalker
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I second and third this, please. Having the ability to pop into my base from PvE is outstanding, and even better, having macro "bookmarks" to visit friends without having to be teamed or coalitioned is icing on the cake. Please, if you are going to remove/change this feature, please don't axe it completely. It is invaluable within PvE settings.

• Like 2

For the base transporter power to be viable, it will also need a reduced (or removed) interrupt time.

It takes about 15 seconds to activate, and will be interrupted by a gnat sneezing two zones over.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

I'd say:  Yes.  

The present command is instant.  Players are saying they want the Powers to be reasonable; like the Ouroboros Portal.

Hell, there's an idea:  A "droppable" pet portal for bases.  That would be very satisfying.  Bring the whole family to your base for tea and crumpets after a long mission.  Limited power activation in the same was Ouroboros portal is limited.

• Like 4

How about a Base to Base portal Item?

You place it in your base like any other portal, then enter the code to head to another base. That would solve the Base-to-Base travel issue pretty quickly.

As for the Base Teleport power itself? Reduce the cooldown to 3 minutes, reduce the interrupt time to 3 seconds, reduce the volume of the power by 50%....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

But..why? Instant base travel is simply awesome. It means MORE time playing, less traveling. The game is City of Heroes..not city of running across ****ing IP for 5 mins.

There are many methods to navigate quickly from zone to zone. If it takes you 5 minutes to navigate a zone you may want to invest in an actual travel power. You are right... this is City of Heroes - not City of I Win Buttons. Heroes superspeed, super jump, fly etc... just saying. 

Just now, Burnt Toast said:

There are many methods to navigate quickly from zone to zone. If it takes you 5 minutes to navigate a zone you may want to invest in an actual travel power. You are right... this is City of Heroes - not City of I Win Buttons. Heroes superspeed, super jump, fly etc... just saying. 

Why do you always come off as a Richard? 5 mins was CLEARLY an exaggeration. Just saying.

How is a base tp power an 'i win'? Exactly what is being won? Go on..I will wait as you come up with a super smart reply.

Oh that's right..its just saving time. Not winning at all.

No doubt you, having found out about the base tp macro, never used it. Not once. Cause you are clearly to awesome to save some time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Razor Cure said:

Why do you always come off as a Richard? 5 mins was CLEARLY an exaggeration. Just saying.

How is a base tp power an 'i win'? Exactly what is being won? Go on..I will wait as you come up with a super smart reply.

Oh that's right..its just saving time. Not winning at all.

No doubt you, having found out about the base tp macro, never used it. Not once. Cause you are clearly to awesome to save some time.

1. Name calling.. really? that's your initial response. grow up.

2. If you are going to use hyperbole as the basis for your statements - expect a dose of reality in reply. 

3. The power IS a dev power - it was never intended for players.  There are already multiple powers that do not allow people to cheat in pvp that transport you from zone to zone or to your base. 

4. I used it once... 

14 hours ago, Megajoule said:

What I'm seeing in this thread is "Make the click power work just like the slash command."

Why not?  The reasons being given for removing it (other than it is a GM command) is people using it to "cheat" and escape deaths in PvP and Master of TF runs.   IMO a viable alternative is to disable it from working in PvP zones and/or giving it a short animation that is interruptible.   That seems reasonable to me given that it is just as easy - if not easier - to escape death by popping PFF if you're a bubbler  or purple insps and we don't see inspirations being removed for these same reasons.  Neither are the P2W team transports - I've been on TFs where we all had one and could tag team using them, so there was little to no travel needed.

One of the very nice things about this for those of us in the base building community is the ability to save them as a macro to have buttons that will port us to friendly bases.  No need to tab out and copy/paste base entry codes all the time and we could travel from base to base very easily. 

8 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

Just my experience in speaking of other MMOs I currently play, the whole design concept of using travel time as a means to slow progression is a relic.  Game design has been trending away from that for years as gamers are no longer a small group of people living in their parents basements.  STO as an example allows you to queue for teamed content from any location or transwarp directly to your mission.  No need to spend hours on travel - you spend it actually playing the game instead of waiting to travel to your destination.  Even more recent TF/event additions in CoH like DFB, DiB, Summer BB, Yin, revamped Posi etc. are all shorter in length and contained to a few missions within 1 or two city zones.  Also wanted to add, porting to your base in no way negates travel.  You still need to travel to the mission door which in my experience is more often than not far away from where the entry point is when you zone in from a base.

If you still enjoy spending a good portion of your time traveling from zone to zone you are still more than capable of doing so as using anything like the slash command or whatever will replace it is entirely optional.

I highly doubt we will get anything even remotely close to what we have now.  I imagine it will cost a lot of inf, have an absurdly long cooldown and generally not be worth it.  Was nice to have this while it lasted.

Edited by ShardWarrior
  • Like 9

48 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

I highly doubt we will get anything even remotely close to what we have now.  I imagine it will cost a lot of inf, have an absurdly long cooldown and generally not be worth it.  Was nice to have this while it lasted.

I wouldn't assume that...The fact that they are waiting for improvements to the Base Teleporter before locking out the slash command seems to indicate that they want to give us a better experience without the "exploityness" of the current slash command...

I'm not bothered by it being an Influence sink (we need those in the game), but I do imagine we will see a shorter interrupt, shorter cooldown, and hopefully (not sure on this), an ability to still tie it to a macro so you can enter the base code automagically...Essentially the slash command, but no longer free or instant...

Edited by justicebeliever
  • Like 4

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Just want to throw out my 2 inf as well that the command is a HUGE QoL feature and I love it to death. I know that it's a dev command not supposed to be available to players and that's a shame but I am glad to see there is discussion instead of it just being removed.

I will absolutely admit frustration that the primary arguments in favor of removing it are PvP and Master Of runs because... well, lolpvp and I can't see Master Of runs being a large portion of the content being actively run so this is a tiny portion of the gameplay that is having the "This is why we can't have nice things" effect.

I am 110% ok with it being a temp power as an inf sink, hell it would have to be priced at 50 mil+ for me to even pause and wonder if I shouldn't invest until I'm sure I like the character. It absolutely needs to have less than a 15 second cast time though and a reasonable cooldown, ideally only a couple of minutes.

• Like 4

Numpad binds for Masterminds - A collection of Farming focused builds - MM /Time guide for all primaries

@Zen Warlawk on Indomitable, @Warlawk#1697 in discord.

Currently struggling with mostly recovered from health problems. Gaming time nonexistent inconsistent.

I'm deeply concerned about the Inf cost, personally.  A lot of the Powers which I had unlocked from being a Veteran player on Live are locked behind Inf amounts I simply do not have.  I get it; with farmers out there, people have ludicrous amounts of Inf in a very short time.  I'm not one of them.  It robs me of my enjoyment of the game to play that way.  I won't stop other people from doing it, but I'd really rather not have content gated behind prices which are based on their habits.

Since the game keeps track of total Inf /earned/ rather than just total current Inf, is there perhaps some kind of way that a percentage-based cost could be applied?  I mean, that wouldn't disallow "twink'd" characters from purchasing things, but was that ever the case?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The prices of items on the P2W are not based off of farmers and marketeers. If they were, we'd see at least another 0 on everything.

The prices are more based off having a 50 and continuing to play it actively.

Things that cost a million or less are hardly noticed. Things that cost 10 million (of which there are 2 afaik, one you had to spend well more than that to earn on live) are expensive enough to make you question if they're worth it for every single character.

As a farmer, I can spend an hour and get enough money to an alt for them to buy all the prestige powers, and then some.

• Like 2

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Yeah, I'm absolutely not a farmer, and I can tell you that having at least one 50 makes Inf (shortage) problems Go Away.   To the point that I'd be willing to drop a couple of million on any character(s) you have that want this power, MVT.

(To be honest, I'm a little surprised you haven't found this out yourself.  Do you, perhaps, keep making alts and then leveling them only to, say, SO / IO range?)

17 minutes ago, Tipsy said:

I absolutely love this command.  It's a gamechanger for me.  I was even planning some SG content around it.  I hope a solution can be found so it doesn't have to be removed entirely.

In the interest of helping the Dev’s have the best information, what were your plans around the current slash command?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

11 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Why not?  The reasons being given for removing it (other than it is a GM command) is people using it to "cheat" and escape deaths in PvP and Master of TF runs.   IMO a viable alternative is to disable it from working in PvP zones and/or giving it a short animation that is interruptible.   That seems reasonable to me given that it is just as easy - if not easier - to escape death by popping PFF if you're a bubbler  or purple insps and we don't see inspirations being removed for these same reasons.  Neither are the P2W team transports - I've been on TFs where we all had one and could tag team using them, so there was little to no travel needed.

One of the very nice things about this for those of us in the base building community is the ability to save them as a macro to have buttons that will port us to friendly bases.  No need to tab out and copy/paste base entry codes all the time and we could travel from base to base very easily. 

Just my experience in speaking of other MMOs I currently play, the whole design concept of using travel time as a means to slow progression is a relic.  Game design has been trending away from that for years as gamers are no longer a small group of people living in their parents basements.  STO as an example allows you to queue for teamed content from any location or transwarp directly to your mission.  No need to spend hours on travel - you spend it actually playing the game instead of waiting to travel to your destination.  Even more recent TF/event additions in CoH like DFB, DiB, Summer BB, Yin, revamped Posi etc. are all shorter in length and contained to a few missions within 1 or two city zones.  Also wanted to add, porting to your base in no way negates travel.  You still need to travel to the mission door which in my experience is more often than not far away from where the entry point is when you zone in from a base.

If you still enjoy spending a good portion of your time traveling from zone to zone you are still more than capable of doing so as using anything like the slash command or whatever will replace it is entirely optional.

Oh the hyperbole. I don't spend HOURS on travel...or even a "good portion" of my time. You make it sound like it takes 10 mins to get to a mission when on average it takes 30-60 seconds.

The following already exist in game to help with travel:

Tram

Tunnel

Oro Portal

Mission TP

Team Transporter

Base Transport

LFG Tab

Base TPs - which can take a whopping 15-30 seconds to get to your base.. GASP

and of course... travel powers. 

The DEV power is an exploit that is not meant for players as stated by the devs on these forums. 

Edited by Burnt Toast
Forgot Base TP LOL
  • Like 1