Fighting Power pool

I can't find any other topics about this, so I decided to make one. Is there anyway to adjust the Fighting Power Pool so that Box and Kick don't have to be taken? I would love to be able to take Tough and then have to have at least one power to get Weave. These are useful abilities, but I hate having to waste a power slot to take an ability I'll never use. 

Yeah, they can be used for set bonuses, especially for ATs that don't normally get melee attacks and can't normally get bonuses from those sets... but actually using the powers generally isn't worth it. 

Changing the pool so you can skip the first two powers does have some precedence. They changed the travel power pools to let you do that. That was a matter of making things more convenient, and it could be argued that something like this would be the same. But then the problem with these two powers being useless (other than for sets and frankenslotting) still remains,

Instead of changing it so that you can just skip the powers, I'd rather see them (and power pool attacks in general) buffed to the point that they're actually worth using. 

... I -think- Boxing, Kick, and Cross Punch -might- be useful for Controllers...

Getting boxing increases the damage of Kick and Crosspunch by 15%. Getting Kick increases the damage of Boxing and Crosspunch by 15%. Getting Crosspunch increases the damage of Boxing and Kick by 15%. So that's a 30% across the board increase to all three powers if you -have- all three powers.

Combine that with Set Bonuses Controllers can't typically get and Containment and while it might not be Scrapper/Blaster level damage it's certainly better than nothing!

• Retired Game Master

In a more serious answer to the issue with boxing and kick (and pool attacks in general) is that their recharge times are far too fast making their DPA far too low. Their recharges could easily be tripled, end costs increased to balance and damage put into a place where the DPA was not ridiculously smol. Same could be said for Flurry which suffers from this a lot more than the other pool attacks. Then again at that point they may outclass some T1/2 powers except for the end penalty. Balance is hard.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

Getting boxing increases the damage of Kick and Crosspunch by 15%. Getting Kick increases the damage of Boxing and Crosspunch by 15%. Getting Crosspunch increases the damage of Boxing and Kick by 15%. So that's a 30% across the board increase to all three powers if you -have- all three powers.

Synergy also increases Boxing's Stun and Kick's Knockdown %, and gives them Endurance and Recovery Debuffs. Synergy gives Crosspunch a To-hit and a Global Recharge Buff.

Maybe Tough and Weave need to be tweaked so that they are buffed by Synergy as well?

I would prefer an alternate methods of getting some defense and damage resist on characters that perhaps don't want or need melee attacks;  Maybe add a mutually exclusive pool that has 2 basic single pistol attacks or something, plus tough, weave, and some variation of cross punch, only ranged.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Haijinx said:

We have 3 more powers than we used to, and no extra slots. 

Slots seem to be the real limiters.  

My thoughts on slots I mentioned in another thread; I just wish there was an Incarnate reward that allowed you to earn additional Enhancement slots for your powers (one at a time) until all your powers reached the maximum number of slots; every single power six slotted.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Is the having a "useless" power an ocd thing or something?  

We have 3 more powers than we used to, and no extra slots. 

Slots seem to be the real limiters.  

There should be some weight to the decisions you make regarding power picks and enhancement slot placement;  We shouldn't just be able to max out all powers simply because we have them.  Between the multiple builds and freespecs we're given every 10 levels, character build decisions are already lessened.  Let's please not diminish them further...

Actually im fine with things how they are. 

I was instead suggesting its already a lot easier than it used to be power wise. 

Using one of the 3 free power picks I get now that inherent fitness is a thing on Boxing seems like a NBD to me. 

For some Controllers these attacks are more powerful than powerset options. And slotting for an extra 2.5 AoE and Melee seems reasonable. I'd have to see the full build to know if it was a waste.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

On 9/7/2019 at 1:12 PM, GM Sijin said:

In a more serious answer to the issue with boxing and kick (and pool attacks in general) is that their recharge times are far too fast making their DPA far too low. Their recharges could easily be tripled, end costs increased to balance and damage put into a place where the DPA was not ridiculously smol. Same could be said for Flurry which suffers from this a lot more than the other pool attacks. Then again at that point they may outclass some T1/2 powers except for the end penalty. Balance is hard.

Well you're locked into that power pool and you can only get powers from 4 such pools I see no reason why they can't be better than the weakest t1s & t2s