Teleportation Power Pool Rework

Zepp

2 hours ago, Some Random User said:

Players that like [Recall Friend] but don't take [Teleport]: Tell me what would have to change for you to take [Teleport] as your Travel option.

(note that this is a guess from someone who does - heck, I used to play a Taxibot)

probably something like making the functionality and convenience of the Standard Teleport BindTM baked into the power, right out of the box - so they don't have to know it exists, look up how to do it, etc etc.

Based on the OP, I'm also going to go with:  a faster/less laggy internet connection.

Edited by Megajoule
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Some Random User said:

I don't understand why we can't improve [Long Range Teleport]. Lower the prerequisites or buff [Long Range Teleport].

What could be done for LRTP? Could we add mission door, SG base, Ouroboros, etc?

It's pretty solid as is, what else would you want? Group LRTP?

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

2 hours ago, Zepp said:

What could be done for LRTP? Could we add mission door, SG base, Ouroboros, etc?

It's pretty solid as is, what else would you want? Group LRTP?

All zones.  Hazard, PvP, all of them.  Not just the "safe" Zones.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

3 hours ago, Zepp said:

Being able to teleport into an SG Base without needing to go to a Base Portal first would be a desirable upgrade.

Ouroboros makes no sense whatsoever, since Ouroboros is a WHEN as opposed to being a WHERE that would be accessible to Teleport.

53 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

All zones.  Hazard, PvP, all of them.  Not just the "safe" Zones.

Declined.

At that point you might as well just make it a Teleport me to my Mission Door kind of thing and just skip the shared world ENTIRELY.  At that point you've basically turned the entire game into being inside the AE building, as far as travel goes.

I know this will annoy some people ... but if you don't have to travel through the world, you simply WON'T (because you don't have to).  At that point, the game turns into this giant lobby where people basically "park" their PCs and just appear and disappear out of to enter instances ... just like with AE ... and we all know what we think of AE Babies, don't we?

Instantaneous travel to anywhere in the game ... ANYWHERE ... without needing to do any zone travel at all is NOT A GOOD THING for the overall health of the game and its community.  It's a convenience that takes convenience for the sake of convenience "too far" in a way that trivializes too much of the game space.

Not recommended.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

@Redlynne I would agree with your assessment if it were also packaged with a level-lowering.

But the people who would actually be skipping through the world would be the people who sunk 3 powers into doing so.

And it's still on a several-minute cooldown, right?

I think it would be cool if LRTP only let you select zones for which you had at least one exploration badge for. This would not only ensure people explore the world (teleporters paying more attention to the lay of the land than others makes a poetic kind of sense), but it would also protect the uninitiated from accidentally sending themselves to places they really REALLY don't want to be.

35 minutes ago, Replacement said:

I think it would be cool if LRTP only let you select zones for which you had at least one exploration badge for.

I'd counter with ALL of the exploration badges for a "not safe" zone, simply because merely one is far too easy (path of least resistance and all that).  Still, the idea of EARNING the right/power to long range teleport to non-safe zones does have merit to it ... I just wouldn't make that aspect a "freebie" upon acquisition of the power.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I'd support Long Range Teleport having access to all zones (based on alignment) including the PVP and Hazard Zones. It's not like LRT actually puts players at the door of missions; it works very much like a SG portal to the zone chosen. The lack of LRT to PVP and Hazard Zones was the deciding factor for me to drop it... once I dropped LRT the choice was pretty easy to stay completely out of the Teleport Pool.

The P2W mission teleports take players directly to Hazard Zones with no pre-requisistes. I haven't tried grabbing a mission in a PVP zone (e.g. Bloody Bay) and then leave the zone to see if I could direct TP to it... or if I could do so when invited to such a door mission (while in another zone).

Setting aside the in-zone methods of changing zones, while on a TF there are five (or six, or seven) mechanisms to get to an instanced missions:

1) (direct) Mission Teleporter

2) (direct) Team Teleporter

3) (one intermediary) Base Teleporter (P2W power) to a base with Beacons

4) (one intermediary) Base Teleporter (Day job temp) to a base with Beacons

5) (multiple steps) Orouboros (to a zone near a tram or a SG base portal)

6) (multiple steps) Wentworths Teleporter (to a zone near a tram or a SG base portal)

7) (multiple steps) Pocket D (to a SG base portal, or a directly to a zone)

I haven't even listed the LFG solo Queue mechanism to get quickly to zones like RWZ or the Hive. (Which won't work while you are on another TF or with a team that is scattered).

Why should anyone take Long Range Teleport (and two other powers to be able to choose it) when all these other mechanisms exist? It doesn't even offer a slot to be used as a mule for an IO!

Edit: I forgot the Universal Travel sets, so I guess it can mule for a couple of items!

Edited by tidge
I forgot Universal Travel Sets

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

I'd counter with ALL of the exploration badges for a "not safe" zone, simply because merely one is far too easy (path of least resistance and all that).  Still, the idea of EARNING the right/power to long range teleport to non-safe zones does have merit to it ... I just wouldn't make that aspect a "freebie" upon acquisition of the power.

It's still a power choice, that should function. No one else has to earn their powers AFTER they've already purchased it.

Plus, it just gets you to your target zone. You still have to hike through it yourself. So I don't see the draconian appeal of requiring all badges.

7 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Declined.

At that point you might as well just make it a Teleport me to my Mission Door kind of thing and just skip the shared world ENTIRELY.  At that point you've basically turned the entire game into being inside the AE building, as far as travel goes.

Um, no.

I did not suggest "teleport directly to mission door".  I suggested teleport to any zone.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by forcing someone who wants to go to a Hazard zone (for whatever reason) to first go to a neighboring non-hazard zone, run/SJ/fly/whatever across it, and then go through another loading screen.

Just cut to the chase - one loading screen, and poof, you arrive at the same entry point the guy who went the long way around does.  Just, a minute-ish sooner with half as many loading screens.

OTOH, I'd be fine with LRTP only letting you go to zones - safe, PVP, hazard, whatever - that you have all the Exploration Badges for.  Create a new badge for each such zone, "<zone name> Beacon".  If you have it for X zone, you can LRTeleport there.  If you don't, you can't.

But I still say, all zones.

7 hours ago, Redlynne said:

we all know what we think of AE Babies, don't we?

.... I, for one, think "eh, whatever floats their boat".  I am unmoved by the fact that they elect to enjoy the game in a different way than I do.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

3 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

OTOH, I'd be fine with LRTP only letting you go to zones - safe, PVP, hazard, whatever - that you have all the Exploration Badges for.  Create a new badge for each such zone, "<zone name> Beacon".  If you have it for X zone, you can LRTeleport there.  If you don't, you can't.

Oh HELL no.  This would be a huge nerf to matter how many zones you expanded it to.

Why should my Warshade have to download an addon and follow it all over hell's half-acre just to get one of her native powers to work properly?

Edited by Black Zot

• 6 months later
On 9/21/2019 at 11:45 PM, Zepp said:

Alright, I went through the thread and am trying to get some of the best ideas for the rework:

T1; Recall: Can target enemy (range 200) or friend (range 20,000), brings target to caster, never causes aggro. Cast time around 3s (no interrupt) and recharge around 4s. [Cast time and Recharge needs more discourse]

On 9/21/2019 at 1:08 AM, Replacement said:

I agree with whoever said to combine recall friend and teleport foe into one power with a fast cast time (same as regular teleport) and a low cooldown. 

If no one said that, then I did.

T2: Tactical Teleport: Short range 30' Teleport with a 30s unstackable defense buff (similar level to combat jumping) and Teleport resistance.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, Zepp said:

There have been several types of ideas that have come up over the years. One is a simple short-range TP with minimal animation time, short range, and low endurance cost. There is also the possibility of adding a 15-30s non-stacking defensive buff to the power to give it similar stats to combat jumping. A different way to approach this would be to not have a TP power per se, but a displacement toggle. This would mean that you are constantly teleporting and thus making yourself more difficult to hit. This would include a minor universal movement bonus, but it would not give you the Nightcrawler feel.

T3: Teleport: 3-5 endurance per TP, 6s hover after TP cancelled by movement.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, GM Sijin said:

Counter suggestion (though probably much more difficult to implement):

Teleport grants you ~6 seconds of hover after the teleport. However, if you activate any movement it's cancelled immediately.

T4: Long-Range Teleport: Expand the number of choices to include most zones and current mission.

1 hour ago, General Idiot said:

Add all zones plus options for base and current mission to Long Range Teleport. Because a power that you're dedicating three slots in your build to get should not be outclassed by P2W powers everyone can have.

T5: Teleport Assault: Chain attack.

On 9/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, Cooltastic said:

NEW POWER: Teleport Assault: This is a PBAoE attack. No target needed. This ability both phases you out(while immobilizing you) for the duration while damaging up to 10 Foes in a Large Area around you. It has a long cooldown(Maybe 2mins) and a duration of about 3.5 seconds. The FX would be a normal teleport FX around your character while your character vanishes completely until reappearing in the same spot. Effected Enemies will be hit with large puffs of teleport smoke FX repeatedly for the duration, they just need to be sporadic in nature to make it look as if your teleporting around to each one.

I think this sounds reasonable, and it allows people to continue to have access to all current powers with the same current requirements. It also addresses both the need for a defensive and more clearly offensive power. It is not overpowered, but each power could be reasonably desirable.

As always, I'm open for discussion about these ideas, but I would definitely be happy if something like this was the end result of the rework.

Based on an idea in another thread I thought I'd update the outline for a TP rework to include modifications to LRT.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation