POWER POOL MAN!

tripthicket

Saw this idea in another thread, of playing a character that (of course at level 4 and after) ONLY chose powers from power pools (and epic/patron pools), all the way to 50. A challenge to the self. Got me thinking about how that might actually be implemented. So, as a thought exercise, and to get ideas and advice since I'm likely going to try this myself, I'm starting this hopefully fruitful discussion.

First limitations that spring to mind: whatever archetype is chosen, whatever primary and secondary powersets are chosen, one is locked into the 1st secondary powerset power. One must also choose the 1st or 2nd primary powerset power. At level 2, one can opt for the 1st or 2nd primary powerset power (whichever one may not have been chosen initially) OR the 3rd primary powerset power, OR the 2nd secondary powerset power. After that, of course, starting at level 4, power choices can only come from Power Pools. Choosing the archetype, primary and secondary powersets for that archetype, and the powers one will take from those powersets, that's the first stage in making a viable character this way.

Next limitation is that only 4 Power Pools in total may be selected from. Well, and also one Epic/Patron Pool, so 5 Pools. There will be 21 powers to be selected from these Pools, so obviously multiple selections will have to be made from any given Pool. Just to add the data point, all Power Pools and Epic/Patron Pools have 5 powers each to choose from.

Slotting is to be assigned anywhere one likes, with only the usual restrictions imposed by the game, such as a maximum of 6 slots per power.

Let's further assume that one can choose as many of the powers available from the P2W Vendor as one is allowed to take (to include travel powers).

So. I throw these questions out there. Assuming you are sufficiently bereft of sanity so as to actually undertake this journey, how would you answer the following?

1. What archetype would you choose?

2. What primary and secondary powersets would you choose?

3. What initial 3 powers would you choose (given, again, that 1 of those 3 is not actually a choice)?

4. What Power Pools would you choose from, and which powers from each Pool?

5. What Epic or Patron Pool would you choose, and which powers from that Pool?

I myself don't know the answers I'll come up with, but my early thinking has me leaning towards Tank or Brute as the archetype. For Power Pools, some (seemingly) obvious choices are Fighting and Leadership. Sorcery looks good for its mix of attacks, protection and travel.

Has anyone actually tried something like this? If so, how did it go for you? Interesting experiment? Dull grind? Unplayably awful?

I look forward to your input!

OK, so I'm gonna go with kind of a weird build here, but I think it'll work:

Primary: Bio Armor - 1st power pick Inexhausitible

Secondary: Either dark melee for a bit of a tohit debuff on enemies, or savage melee for blood frenzy

Pools taken:

Fighting: punch, kick, tough, weave, crosspunch

Leaping: jump kick, combat jumping, super jump, acrobatics, spring attack

Leadership: assault, maneuvers, tactics, victory rush

*Force of Will: weaken resolve, project will, mighty leap, wall of force, unleash potential

Alternatively, Speed: flurry, hasten, superspeed, whirlwind, burnout

*Not currently available, but is in development.

I'm currently running a Pool only alt

Battleaxe/ Bio Brute

Brute for Fury.  Primary was irrelevant as never used the attacks.  Secondary had to have a toggle first power not a passive

(I used the free attack powers from P2W until I had an attack chain from Fighting)

Power Pool:

Sorcery: Because - Flying, ranged attack, RoP

Fighting: Because - It's Fighting

Leaping: Because - CJ, Acrobatics, Spring Attack

Leadership: Because - Buffs

(Tempted to switch Leadership for FoW when available just for the hell of it.)

APP: Undecided - Energy Mastery if I'm having End troubles.  Something flashy if I'm not.

So far I'm at Level 18 and it hasn't been too painful.  As I start hitting more enemies with mezzers I'm expecting things to get rougher.

It's actually kind of fun knowing you are never going to be a steamroller of justice but fighting the good fight anyway.

i mean this looks pretty decent and maybe get some solid crits out of hide might actually be ok

Rad melee /WP stalker

Edited by Chrome

Oh good lord my talk in another topic has inspired someone to this...for that...I am sorry and merely wish you god speed. When I did this originally I went with a Brute since they get better damage from their melee pool attacks, back then Boxing and Kick did not have the buffs they did to each other or Crosspunch, they're still not going to be good...and I don't think they're not going to generate fury (this may not be true I'd need clarification on that) so I hindsight I think I should have chosen a scrapper. They may not crit but they'll have initial higher damage scaling and you don't have to worry about Fury generation (if the pool attacks do generate Fury the DEFINITELY go brute instead).

The pools I picked from where Fighting, Leadership, Leaping and Medicine for the self heal though there are probably better picks out there and replace it with speed for Hasten etc. along with the classic leaping+Superspeed combo.

I think I managed to get them to like 35 before I lost my god damn mind and was like "I'm too old for this these days..." so good luck to you good sir.

Edited by DR_Mechano

Hmm. I wish I was at my computer to look at the MM secondary starting powers.  

Lol you could get Storm Secondary and slot Gale for range, accuracy, Knockback to Knock down and be a lawnmower.  LOL. Almost perma knockdown.  For entire groups 

But I was thinking a MM you start with the t1 3 pets.   Plus you can resummon as the cannon fodder die.  

Get fighting tough, weave.   

Get leadership maneuvers, tactics, assault

Get Sorcery for travel and proc out enflame and absorb 

hmm for the rest. Do what ever.  

It it would actually work.   

Edited by SmalltalkJava

6 hours ago, RialVestro said:

I did the opposite with my Kheldians.... Haven't taken a single power pool!

Though I'm going to respec at 50. Most of the powers I have taken aren't really useful at all... like I never use Group Fly... the few times I have attempted to use it people just want me to turn it off. I'm likely going to get rid of that. It's kinda hard to find powers that fit the build you're going for when you never touch the power pools. I've almost taken my ENTIRE primary and Secondary minus maybe 2 powers and I don't even use a lot of them because 99% of the time I'm not even in human form.

I also need to fix the slotting for my human form. I screwed up completely, put slots into the wrong powers cause I got distracted by real life... and a great many of my slots need to be moved around to even make it worth wile to switch between forms.

I've also got three different build ideas so I was going to respec at 50 anyway. Leveling up I was basically testing the concept cause I haven't done Kheldians in YEARS and couldn't remember exactly how they worked.

Khelds are one of the only ATs where no powerpools is viable only one you really need is Hasten due to some of the powers CDs..  that specifically is on Warshades but even PBs benefit

any of the other pools are basically icing on the cake thanks to PBs and WSs having inherent travel pools

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

This particular task seems to favor melee characters. If I wanted to do this on a Ranged character I'd probably pick Defender.

Specifically, I need 2 powersets that are highly front loaded. So I'd likely go with Dark Miasma/Sonic Attack. That would give this character the AoE heal, Tar Patch, and Shriek. Because Sonic Attack's blast powers are a victim of cast times at higher levels, you lose out less on the T3 blast.

Pool picks would probably be Leadership, Fighting, Sorcery, Leaping. 

The epic pool would probably be Psi, so that Dominate could be slotted as a damage power (using procs) to fill in some of the ranged damage hole. Enflame would also be slotted for damage.

Note this character is still very, very, very impractical, with slots thrown away on powers like Mystic Flight just to eat a power choice.

Possible build below (I didn't do any slotting).

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Pool Boy: Level 49 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Dark Miasma
Secondary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Psychic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Shriek -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Tar Patch -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Maneuvers -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Assault -- Empty(A)
Level 8: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Arcane Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Tactics -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Tough -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Weave -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Vengeance -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Mystic Flight -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Enflame -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Victory Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 28: Super Jump -- Empty(A)
Level 30: Rune of Protection -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Acrobatics -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Spring Attack -- Empty(A)
Level 38: Dominate -- Empty(A)
Level 41: Mass Hypnosis -- Empty(A)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- Empty(A)
Level 47: Telekinesis -- Empty(A)
Level 49: [Empty] 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;848;386;772;HEX;|
|78DA65D25D4BC2501807F0AD29666A66BEA3620882248CA2EE23B3BA7121D9FD38C|
|C3987B6C9B6202FFB025D14F531FA32BD5CF41D7AF906EBD9B34709CF611B9CDFF3|
|E7393BDB516EBBC997F3BB2341DC3C9932D755BBFA48B786BA135598616A028CF5B|
|E6D4F773AF63C0693F2A2AE766E4623B9CB9C89AA98CCBD66D565E59259863E9407|
|B6656AEAB1E7316D22A48326724F671070C7E62C85F333D3187BA665247136B01D4|
|D77E6C945740695DCE9CCD4E4BE3BD7C6D04C61AE078912BC4813EEC19A40C3870B|
|86F0C9C915884822A264601F128984B20D122589A28820319218CA032C182789A31|
|42090104349A064415224291409244D924689806448322839902C75CEA23CC25A79|
|923CCA134891A488720F522629A314A14F85A482F20C991A490DA504993AAD5E0F7|
|75A108406651A28AF52F8750369A2BC81B4485A28EF206D9236CA07884C22A3040F|
|BF1A59FD21BB9CEC71B2CFC90127879CF438B90824DCAEDF8FAC1E84F8D6F220F85|
|F1B5015FF577F38F9E6E497933F41A40836|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

20 minutes ago, catsi563 said:

Khelds are one of the only ATs where no powerpools is viable only one you really need is Hasten due to some of the powers CDs..  that specifically is on Warshades but even PBs benefit

any of the other pools are basically icing on the cake thanks to PBs and WSs having inherent travel pools

With appropriate IO set (Frank'n)'slotting, you don't need Hasten on a Warshade.

6 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

With appropriate IO set (Frank'n)'slotting, you don't need Hasten on a Warshade.

This.

None of my Khelds have Hasten, and my favourite of all time to play character is my WS Grey Wanderer

Edited by boggo2300

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Thanks for all the input so far. I just jumped in today without a lot of research. Brute, Super Strength/Bio Armor. Picked the 2nd and 3rd SS Powers. Up to lvl 10, and have picked up Combat Jumping, Boxing, Arcane Bolt and Mystic Flight. With Brawl and 3 P2W powers, I have 8 attacks, so no dearth there. Wishing now I'd chosen the 2nd Bio Armor Power. Ah well.

Running missions solo in The Hollows. Have had to use Rest a few times, even going slowly. Without more protection (atm), I find my green bar shrinking faster than I'm used to. Same for the blue bar. Will likely need to learn to lean on Inspirations more than I normally do. I'm using DXP boost, but have avoided PLing to get IOs.

The experiment continues!

Allow me to introduce . . . POOL MAN!

Of course, Pool Man had to be water blast and since I planned on taking a lot from medicine and leadership I thought a defender would be good.  I decided on Poison as that is somewhat "watery' and I don't like a lot of its powers anyway.  :P

So I came up with this build, which I think is actually viable!

Pool Man: Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Poison
Secondary Power Set: Water Blast
Power Pool: Medicine

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Envenom -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), ShlBrk-%Dam(21), TchofLadG-%Dam(21), ShlBrk-Acc/DefDeb(23)
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(7)
Level 2: Hydro Blast -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(11)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(13), LucoftheG-Rchg+(13), Krm-ResKB(15)
Level 6: Injection -- HO:Lyso(A)
Level 8: Aid Other -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 10: Whirlpool -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(31), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(33)
Level 12: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(15)
Level 14: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Aid Self -- DctWnd-Heal(A)
Level 18: Field Medic -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(40), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(43), GssSynFr--Build%(46)
Level 22: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(34), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(36), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(27), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 30: Cross Punch -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(39)
Level 32: Dehydrate -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34)
Level 35: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 38: Spring Attack -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Arm-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(42), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 44: Geyser -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), JvlVll-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Water Jet -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Venomous Gas -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(50), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(50), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17), Mrc-Rcvry+(19)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17), EndMod-I(19)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Cryonic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Diamagnetic Core Flawless Interface
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
------------

8 hours ago, RialVestro said:

😉. Fitness! Yeah anyone remember when Fitness use to be a skipable power pool? It was always kind of required though and most builds wouldn't work if they skipped it. I can't remember exactly when that was changed to inherent powers but I'm so glad they did because it freed up space for other powers and made this necessary set impossible to skip over since you now get it automatically.

Before Fitness became inherent, I had taken it for all of 3 of my 50+ characters. I found it about as needed as Hasten or Boxing. I had viable builds that kept up with the teams I was on. All without Stamina.

I will say that it was more useful than kick in most situations. I won't say that it was needed. But then, I was also the kind of person that liked to set up 14 trip mines to surprise a boss or 2.

Sentinel

T2 Blast - any set without redraw (leaning towards Fire Blast or TK Blast or Scream)

Ninjitsu - Ninja Reflexes, Danger Sense (M + R/AoE)

Ranged attacks - Sorcery (ST), Force of Will (ST, AoE)

Defenses - Fighting, Leadership

APP - Ninja Tool Mastery (caltrops, hold, aoe placate as oh crap button)

edit:  Just learned you can't have both Sorcery and Fow.   Awww.

Edited by Caulderone

Don't like Pool Man?  Well then, how about Cabana Boy!?! 

Cabana Boy: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Atomic Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 1: Electron Shackles -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(37), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(37)
Level 2: Water Burst -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(13)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(5)
Level 6: Super Speed -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 8: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(33), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(34), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 10: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(33), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(33), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), Rct-ResDam%(13), LucoftheG-Rchg+(15), Krm-ResKB(15)
Level 14: Flurry -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(40)
Level 16: Cross Punch -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(29), ScrDrv-Dam%(31), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(31), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31)
Level 18: Jump Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(48), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(48), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 20: Spring Attack -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), ScrDrv-Dam%(45), Erd-Dmg(45), Erd-%Dam(45), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 22: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23), UnbGrd-Max HP%(23), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(27)
Level 24: Whirlwind -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 35: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 38: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 41: Mace Beam Volley -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(43), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(43)
Level 44: Summon Spiderlings -- BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(A), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(46), BldMnd-Dmg(48)
Level 47: Web Cocoon -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(50)
Level 49: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(19), Prv-Absorb%(19), Mrc-Rcvry+(21)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17), EndMod-I(17)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
------------

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RialVestro said:

No one ever uses Boxing.

I use boxing on my SS/Will brute. I have it 4-slotted with kinetic combat for the smash/lethal defense bonus, and to boost cross punch's damage, since I don't like the hurl animation, so I went with cross punch instead. Two aoes is better than one.

31 minutes ago, RialVestro said:

There are some powers that were given alternate animations with power customization. I might be mistake but wasn't hurl one of those powers? If you don't like the default animation I think you might be able to change it.

That said a slight amendment to my previous post. Personally I do use them but only in the lower levels when I don't have a lot of good attacks yet. It's kinda similar to Brawl though a bit better. But it's similar in that there are typically much better powers you can get later on that makes the initial fighting power not as useful when you get into the higher levels. Once I have a bare minimum of five attacks from my Primary/Secondary sets that's when I'll quit using pool power attacks.

I'll also add I think Fighting blends in pretty seamlessly with Super Strength to the point where I probably wouldn't even notice the difference if they were attacking with the Pools or not. I think some of the powers literally use the same animations. Though I'm not sure about Cross Punch, that power was added later on. I don't remember seeing it in the set before Homecoming. It use to be just four powers. I do recall some pools were starting to get a 5th power added to them when I left the live severs but that wasn't as common at the time as it seems to be now.

I don't think there's an alternate for hurl. I mean, I'd love to grab a car and chuck it at someone, but eh! Plus it's a fairly long animation for a moderate-damage power.

The reason I use boxing is to have a cheap attack that's always ready to go, and can finish off low-health mobs without burning a bigger attack. Boxing is basically a higher-damage version of jab, and has a better chance to stun. Especially since taking kick and cross punch increase the damage by 30%. So it's a decent filler attack, at least imo. Without hurl, there's only 4 single-target attacks in SS, and since I skipped jab, that only leaves 3. I'm debating moving the slots over to kick, but I like the faster animation that boxing has. So I'm not sure.

And yeah, I really like how cross punch feels with the rest of the SS moves. You just haul back and punch a bunch of guys in an arc, which feels very super strength-y to me. Especially since it can knock them down, or occasionally send them flying. Definitely adds some much-needed aoe to my kit.

1 hour ago, RialVestro said:

That's a weird sentence. Everyone has their own opinions sure but the word "need" kinda implies that you have to have something regardless of what anyone personally believes. And yeah almost everyone agreed that Stamina was a legitimate necessity in the game which is why it got changed from a skipable power pool to Inherent powers. So regardless of personal opinions you literally need Stamina and can't opt out anymore. 😉

Let me rephrase it. Everyone has their own opinions about what they feel is needed... etc. yada spam. There is a difference between needing to breathe, and "needing" to drink cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper with a hint of lime and a twist of orange. One you can't live with out, the other could substituted out for anything. Endurance, quite frankly, was not, literally, mandatory for a character to proceed from level 1 to level 50 in the game. Yes, it made things easier, and more efficient. But, it wasn't mandatory. At least, not before they made fitness inherent. Now, it's mandatory because it is forced on you, not because you couldn't take a character from level 1 to level 50 without it.

The only reason they made the fitness pool inherent was because 95% of the players always chose to get Stamina on every one of their characters. Not because the devs thought it was actually needed in order to level from 1 to 50.

Just because something is forced upon me, doesn't mean that I need it. It just means that I'm forced to have it. Much like the first power for every single secondary power-set in the game.