Ranged Stalker aka "The Better Sentinel" - am I crazy?

Omega-202

Alright, yes it sounds crazy, but hear me out.  Has anyone tried running Mu PPP or Blaze APP to make a ranged Stalker?  I haven't given it a full go yet, but my Electric/Invuln/Mu just hit 50 and I am running Zapp, Ball lightning and Shackles.  With 5 purples each in Zapp and BL with slot 6 in each having another damage proc and Shackles slotted with quad damage procs, I can throw out some nasty ranged damage in a quick burst. 

I am wondering what it could be like to add Mu Bolts as a filler to help make a full ranged chain.  Obviously not as much DPS as a melee chain taking advantage of AS, but to me, it seems like even with those 4 attacks + Lightning Rod for a psuedo nuke, you've basically got something thats's objectively better than a Sentinel.  Higher damage scale than Sentinels, higher target cap on BL and LR than Sentinels, better inherent than Sentinels, same defenses, built in stealth and the option of switching to melee mode for more damage on single targets.  

Anyone tried this?  For me, my halfway foray into ranged Stalkering just highlights how undertuned Sentinels are.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drbuzzard said:

I have the ghost widow PPP (soul mastery iirc) and between the sniper and single target blast, I can hand out a fair bit of hurt. It's a ice melee/ energy aura build and does very nice damage (even AOE to be honest).

I kind of wish that Soul PPP got Dark Obliteration like Brutes/Tanks.  If it did, it would be a straight upgrade to Mu.  Similar with Blaze APP.  If it had Blazing Bolt over Melt Armor or Ring of Fire (seriousl, who wants RoF?) it would make a great set.  Seems there are three options for ranged Stalkering:

Mu - has snipe and aoe, bad secondary effect

Soul - has snipe, good secondary effect and Meld, no aoe

Blaze - has many ranged attacks, great aoe attack, no snipe

1 hour ago, Omega-202 said:

Blaze - has many ranged attacks, great aoe attack, no snipe

I've gone blaze on mine, and the fire ball as my sneak attack crit makes it worthwhile. Ring of Fire is an acceptable single-target ranged attack, but the real glory's in the surprise you're all on fire now impact of fire ball. 

Sometimes you just need everything to be on fire, is all I'm saying. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

10 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

I've gone blaze on mine, and the fire ball as my sneak attack crit makes it worthwhile. Ring of Fire is an acceptable single-target ranged attack, but the real glory's in the surprise you're all on fire now impact of fire ball. 

Sometimes you just need everything to be on fire, is all I'm saying. 

I've had similar great results with Ball Lightning.  Target beefiest enemy>Build Up>Lightning Rod>50% crit Ball Lightning>Chain and/or Thunderstrike leads to all dead minions and most Lts at +2.  

32 minutes ago, Hopestar said:

Why is Mace being left out by chance? It has a solid fast ST, snipe, and AoE with kb too if you need the +recharge.

Personally, discounted for 2 reasons:

- Aesthetics and redraw.

- More importantly, Web Cocoon, Mace Blast, Fast Mace Beam and Disruptor Blast all have 2s animations.  Compared to Mu and Blaze which are at 1 s or 1.17 s for Char, Ring, Bolts, Fireball, and BL and 1.67 for Fast Zapp and Fire Blast.  Shackles in Mu is the only attack with a 2 s animation.  You can fire Mu Bolts and Ball Lightning in the same time it takes to fire one Mace attack.  You can fire three attacks in either set faster than you can fire two in Mace.  

If you plan on weaving in and out of melee to drop a quick AS or melee aoe, that extra animation really can add up.  

EDIT: also, at that point, just play a Bane Spider if you wanted to go with the Mace.  They have better recharge and more options on their Mace attacks.  

Edited by Omega-202

Mace is overly balanced since it covers all the bases so it makes sense to add longer animations, but you're right, the redraw definitely hurts it. I think that build proves you could totally do a Mace only ranged Stalker though and it would be fine, obviously ranged stalker isn't optimal.

40 minutes ago, Hopestar said:

Mace is overly balanced since it covers all the bases so it makes sense to add longer animations, but you're right, the redraw definitely hurts it. 

I wouldn't say that actually.  It hits the same bases as Mu, but whereas Mu has a secondary effect that is essentially "nothing" because end drain sucks, Mace has 20% chance of KD (0.7 mag KB) on Blast, 100% chance of Mag 2 KB on Beam and 10% chance of Mag 2 KB on Disruptor.  The chance on Blast is unreliably low, the KB on Beam is likely to piss off teammates and the low chance coupled with high mag on Disruptor will definitely piss off teammates when it does happen.

If you desperately want somewhere to drop another FF proc, sure, but add in the redraw, the long animations and the fact that the you may want to put a KB>KD in Beam or Disuptor, which wastes a slot, and I'd say Mace is an objective downgrade from the others.  

Also, no Devastation Hold proc in Web Cocoon for the 90% Mag 6 hold.  You need to use the lower PPM Lockdown if you want one shot boss holding, which means you cant slot recharge in it.  I don't think the math works for Mace in any way.  

I had a Stalker that hung out at range a lot back during Live.

Claws. Focus and Shockwave make it work a whole lot better. Especially since Shockwave has a chance to crit on every enemy it hits while Hidden.

Of course, this was all before the Assassin's Focus mechanic was added. No idea how it would do now.

I actually went with Weapon Mastery. I enjoy spamming shuriken on a 1.7sec cooldown and exploding shuriken on about a 16 second cooldown.  It's really a pity that the set doesn't have the dominator Martial Assault snipe Masterful Throw.  

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I bet you could pretty easily do a Staff/Nin/Weapon Stalker that could stay ranged and punctuate it’s normal Shuriken throws with Exploding Shuriken and Serpent’s Reach. Going /Nin would give you a heal, as well as caltrops you could proc out with KD effects and damage to make it easier to kite and kill.

9 hours ago, graeberguinn said:

Omega, care to share a build? I have an Elec/Elec/Elec sent at 40. But you have me curious as to what a stalker could do. 

I'll post my current and my brainstormed (full ranged chain) Stalker builds later today.  I don't have a decent comparison Sentinel build (or a functioning in game Elec Sentinel to compare) but I'll play around on Mids and see how they may compare.

EDIT: Here are my current build and my ranged build that swaps out Thunderstrike for Mu Bolts (slotted with Thunderstrike lol)

Both hit elemental defense cap with Barrier core running (except to psi) and have about 70% up time on Rune of Protection which gives me resists of 70+% s/l, 66% f/c and 55% to e/n/p/t.  The "ranged build" (second one) should have a pretty uninterrupted ranged chain of "Bolts>Zapp>Bolts>Shackles>Bolts>Ball Lightning (slight gap)>repeat" due to the high recharge (1.32 s recharge on Bolts).

Hero Plan by Hero Hero Designer 2.23
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Stalker
Primary Power Set: Electrical Melee
Secondary Power Set: Invulnerability
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Havoc Punch -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(3), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(7), Rct-ResDam%(7), Ksm-ToHit+(9)
Level 2: Resist Physical Damage -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 4: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 6: Assassin's Shock -- SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(15), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 10: Dull Pain -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(19), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(19), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 16: Unyielding -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-Psi/Status(27), Ags-ResDam(27), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(29), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 18: Chain Induction -- SprAssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(A), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg(31), SprAssMar-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprAssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 20: Environmental Resistance -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 24: Mystic Flight -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(34)
Level 26: Thunder Strike -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Dmg(34), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), ScrDrv-Dam%(37)
Level 28: Spirit Ward -- Heal-I(A)
Level 30: Reinforced -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), HO:Cyto(37), HO:Cyto(37)
Level 32: Lightning Rod -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(39), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(40), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(40)
Level 35: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 38: Rune of Protection -- UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), UnbGrd-ResDam(42), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 41: Zapp -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Apc-Acc/Rchg(43), Apc-Dam%(43), StnoftheM-Dam%(45)
Level 44: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(46), Rgn-Knock%(46), PstBls-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Electric Shackles -- GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(A), NrnSht-Dam%(48), UnbCns-Dam%(48), Dvs-Hold%(48), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 1: Assassination 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(9), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(11), EndMod-I(13)
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Radial Superior Ally 
------------

Hero Plan by Hero Hero Designer 2.23

Level 50 Science Stalker
Primary Power Set: Electrical Melee
Secondary Power Set: Invulnerability
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leaping

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Havoc Punch -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(3), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(7), Rct-ResDam%(7), Ksm-ToHit+(9)
Level 2: Resist Physical Damage -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 4: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 6: Assassin's Shock -- SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(15), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 10: Dull Pain -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(19), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(19), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 16: Unyielding -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-Psi/Status(27), Ags-ResDam(27), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(29), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 18: Chain Induction -- SprAssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(A), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg(31), SprAssMar-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprAssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 20: Environmental Resistance -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 24: Mystic Flight -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(34)
Level 26: Spirit Ward -- Heal-I(A)
Level 28: Rune of Protection -- UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 30: Reinforced -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), HO:Cyto(36), HO:Cyto(37)
Level 32: Lightning Rod -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(37), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(37), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(39)
Level 35: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 38: Mu Bolts -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(40), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Zapp -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Rchg(42), Apc-Dam%(43), StnoftheM-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Knock%(46), PstBls-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Electric Shackles -- GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(A), NrnSht-Dam%(48), UnbCns-Dam%(48), Dvs-Hold%(48), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(9), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(11), EndMod-I(13)
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Radial Superior Ally 
------------

Edited by Omega-202
Added builds

If you want a ranged Stalker this is more like it with 5 ranged attacks, with 30% damage buff from IO set bonuses, 10.5% damage buff from Assault, and a 25% damage buff from Offensive Adaptation for a total of 65.5%.

3 single-target attacks: Focus, Mu Bolts, Zapp

1 Cone: Shockwave

1 Targeted AoE: Ball Lightning

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.5

Level 50 Magic Stalker
Primary Power Set: Claws
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Concealment

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Strike -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(5), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Ksm-ToHit+(31)
Level 2: Hardened Carapace -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam(5), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), GldArm-3defTpProc(7)
Level 4: Boundless Energy -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(9), DctWnd-Heal(9), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(11), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(11), EndMod-I(13)
Level 6: Assassin's Claw -- SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(15), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(19)
Level 8: Build Up -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 10: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 12: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Adaptation 
Level 18: Focus -- SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAssMar-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprAssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprAssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(34)
Level 20: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 22: Kick -- Dmg-I(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(43), HO:Ribo(45)
Level 26: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), HO:Cyto(40)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- ThfofEss-Heal(A), ThfofEss-Heal/Rchg(31), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(36), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37), ThfofEss-+End%(37)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Shockwave -- ExpStr-Dmg/KB(A), ExpStr-Acc/KB(33), ExpStr-Dam%(33), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(33), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(34), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(34)
Level 35: Genetic Corruption -- FrtHyp-Sleep/EndRdx(A), FrtHyp-Acc/Rchg(36), CaloftheS-Heal%(36)
Level 38: Parasitic Aura -- ThfofEss-Heal(A), ThfofEss-Heal/Rchg(39), ThfofEss-Acc/Heal(39), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(39), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(40), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 41: Mu Bolts -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Rchg(42), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Apc-Dam%(43), GldJvl-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Zapp -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(45), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(45), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(46), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), StnoftheM-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Ball Lightning -- JvlVll-Acc/Dmg(A), JvlVll-Dam/End/Rech(48), JvlVll-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(48), JvlVll-Dam%(48), Rgn-Dmg(50), Rgn-Knock%(50)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Pnc-Heal/+End(37)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(3)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 16: Defensive Adaptation 
Level 16: Efficient Adaptation 
Level 16: Offensive Adaptation 
Level 0: Born In Battle 
Level 0: High Pain Threshold 
Level 0: Invader 
Level 0: Marshal 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|