Splitting the Fighting Pool into Off and Def Pools.

Cooltastic

Just now, Crysta Clear said:

My condolences. If you don't have any other resist powers, your archetype and set won't be capable of enough resists for them to matter, and you would probably get a better result out of slotting for defense. If you do have other resist powers in-set, you certainly aren't going to need Tough's miniscule bonus.

No need for condolences.  I'm quite capable on all my characters I build this way.

Its good for 3.1 melee defense at 4 slots, neg nrg, nrg resist, psi and toxic resists, status res, and fire and cold resist at 6.

Mhm. But it's not different enough from the ~20%-ish you'll incidentally (and passively, without endurance cost) have from your various set bonuses to justify spending 0.24 end/second on Tough, which is about what slotting it brings it down to.

Basically, whether that bullet coming in at 100 damage is reduced to 80 or 65 isn't very important to the long-term survival of a blaster, who gets much more value out of managing to softcap her defenses, and your HP is low enough that whether you have 20% or 35%, an enemy's big hit is still going to squish you.

Edited by Crysta Clear

My blaster basically never dies, but it's not Tough that makes her that way. She doesn't even activate it -- Charged Armour is all she really needs on top of her softcapped positionals. It's twice as much resistance as Tough, for less endurance, and also includes Energy.

Edited by Crysta Clear

3 minutes ago, Crysta Clear said:

Mhm. But it's not different enough from the ~20%-ish you'll incidentally (and passively, without endurance cost) have from your various set bonuses to justify spending 0.24 end/second on Tough, which is about what slotting it brings it down to.

Basically, whether that bullet coming in at 100 damage is reduced to 80 or 65 isn't very important to the long-term survival of a blaster, who gets much more value out of managing to softcap her defenses.

Well YMMV. I like it and it works.

If end is an issue perhaps you should look at your build.

I never have any trouble with it.

End isn't an issue. Slots are the issue. Tough isn't worth slotting when another resist power would be a much better place to put that set. And if you are in a situation where Tough is your only resist power, and you don't have anywhere else to put it? Then you won't have enough resistance for any amount of it to really make a difference, and you'd likely be better off choosing a melee defense set from another power category. It's wasted space.

Edited by Crysta Clear

2 minutes ago, Crysta Clear said:

End isn't an issue. Slots are the issue. Tough isn't worth slotting when another resist power would be a much better place to put that set. And if you are in a situation where Tough is your only resist power, and you don't have anywhere else to put it? Then you won't have enough resistance for any amount of it to really make a difference, and you'd likely be better off choosing a melee defense set from another power category. It's wasted space.

That's your opinion, and who said it was my only resist power.  I have charged armor and surge of power - which I never need to use.

Anything you can put an easy defense set bonus in isnt wasted space.

That's what I'm getting at though, is that there are plenty of other power categories with melee defense set bonuses in their sets, and you probably could've spent those four slots on a power that's worth more than +5.25% smashing/lethal resist for having the base enhancement effects in them. XD

5 minutes ago, Crysta Clear said:

That's what I'm getting at though, is that there are plenty of other power categories with melee defense set bonuses in their sets, and you probably could've spent those four slots on a power that's worth more than +5.25% smashing/lethal resist for having the base enhancement effects in them. XD

Not really when you are maxing the rest out for AOE and Ranged.

This caps S/L/E the way I am doing this without spending set bonuses to do it on other powers that are easier to get what I'm after.

The end result is you cant kill me either.

I support a split of the fighting pool, mostly because more choices for unarmed melee pool powers help some concepts.
I'd like a groin kick for second T2, with stun and chance for hold. And a PBAoE kick with unique animation as T3, perhaps like Chun-Li's "Spinning Bird Kick" in Street Fighter.

Reading all the examples of power creep in this thread, I'm honestly thinking that, Crysta, you are wrong, power creep is awesome and we need way more of it.

YAY POWER CREEP!

• Confused 1

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker

3 hours ago, Rigged said:

Reading all the examples of power creep in this thread, I'm honestly thinking that, Crysta, you are wrong, power creep is awesome and we need way more of it.

YAY POWER CREEP!

Well cool thing about this game is you can play it however you want to.

Some people don't always want or have time for a grind.  If some people do Then self nerf, it's not right to be that elitist to try to dictate how other people view Or want to play the game. 

I see power creep come up all the time here, but in reality the big bad goblin of power creep in most people's minds is actually just a justification to make the game so grindy nobody but people with unlimited time would be able to play all the content on the game then and most regular people having a good time every day doing superhero stuff with easy buttons would quit playing because it wouldn't be fun anymore.  You want to destroy the game? do that.  What you call power creep won't do it - it's actually what is bringing people in still because it is fun to be powerful.

Every build is still limited by number of slots.  That's your limit.  That's your power creep fire break.  That alone allows you to literally build a character or team of characters any way you want to.

If people can't enjoy that, or how we are set up here and just be happy its back and in great shape, then self examination may be in order.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vanden said:

According to your OP, Weave would be a tier 2 power, and thus require only 1 prereq power instead of the 2 it currently does.

Ah, I don't know why I thought it was a tier 2 already.

Ok then, would this work?

Guarded Pool:

Tier 1 - Insulated(fire and ice damage resistance), Resistant(energy and negative energy damage resistance)

Tier 2 - Tough

Tier 3 - Weave 

Tier 4 -Alert(psi damage, sleep, and recharge debuff resistance)

Fit(toxic damage, stun, and slow debuff resistance)

Or

Guarded Pool:

Tier 1 - Tough

Tier 2 - Insulated(fire and ice damage resistance), Resistant(energy and negative energy damage resistance)

Tier 3 - Weave 

I don't think we have any Tier 4 pool powers currently, but maybe that's something that can change to better flesh out Pool sets while fighting the power creep some are worried about?

Edited by Cooltastic

Could even change the Fighting Pool idea to require more investment for the buff aswell.

Fighting Pool:

Tier 1 - Boxing(disorients), Kick(knocks down)

Tier 2 - Hook(cone punch)(chance to disorient), Spinning kick(cone kick)(knocks back)(3 target max on both)

Tier 3 - KO(a devastating ST attack when enemy is at 50% or lower HP, does less damage the more health they have)(has both punch and kick animation options)

Tier 4 - Determination(a 30sec damage/To-hit/recharge buff with a 5min cooldown which also grants Disorient, immobalize, and knockback protection for the same duration) (can also be used while under any status effect to break the effect) (activation animation could be slamming your fists together like a boxer getting ready to fight)

Made a couple changes to Determination as well. Having an even higher requirement to unlock it should allow you to utilize it more often.

2 hours ago, Cooltastic said:

Ah, I don't know why I thought it was a tier 2 already.

Ok then, would this work?

Guarded Pool:

Tier 1 - Insulated(fire and ice damage resistance), Resistant(energy and negative energy damage resistance)

Tier 2 - Tough

Tier 3 - Weave 

Or

Guarded Pool:

Tier 1 - Tough

Tier 2 - Insulated(fire and ice damage resistance), Resistant(energy and negative energy damage resistance)

Tier 3 - Weave 

I don't think we have any Tier 4 pool powers currently, but maybe that's something that can change to better flesh out Pool sets while fighting the power creep some are worried about?

Well now you've given the pools 6 powers each, instead of the usual 5.

If you're going to do things like this, could you kindly nerf everybody across the board so that they HAVE to take this power... then make this power inherent. 

Heck, why not just make us all generic clones?

Edited by Herotu
Peace and love.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

It has nothing to do with wanting a grind. I hate grind, and this game is not grindy. It has everything to do with wanting to be pushed to make meaningful choices in how I build my character. If you don't want to think about what you are playing, then you will either play it poorly, or play something else, but please do not simplify and dumb-down a game that I am enjoying, just because you can't build around its existing rules.

Is it worth sacrificing three power slots for the defense bonus I can get from Tough and Weave? Or can I get away with the lower defense of, say, Concealment pool instead, and save myself two power selections? These kind of choices are good.

Edited by Crysta Clear
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Crysta Clear said:

It has nothing to do with wanting a grind. I hate grind, and this game is not grindy. It has everything to do with wanting to be pushed to make meaningful choices in how I build my character. If you don't want to think about what you are playing, then you will either play it poorly, or play something else, but please do not simplify and dumb-down a game that I am enjoying, just because you can't build around its existing rules.

Is it worth sacrificing three power slots for the defense bonus I can get from Tough and Weave? Or can I get away with the lower defense of, say, Concealment pool instead, and save myself two power selections? These kind of choices are good.

It wouldnt change that.  If anything it would add more agonizing choices to slot this or that.

It cant make it stronger, just more diverse in what you can initially choose and slot.

I still probably would not change any of mine because if it aint broke dont fix it.  But I may explore the options on future builds if they existed.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 7:13 AM, Crysta Clear said:

With the proposed changes you can still make these same choices.