The Request We have all been dreading, but knew was coming...

Solarverse

15 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

/jranger

I can't believe after all these years, grown adults have immortalized that troll with his /jranger BS. Sorry, but when I see a /Jranger, I honestly just can't take your opinion seriously. It's like listening to a 10 year old's opinion about quantum mechanics.... simply see them as background noise and shut them out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I can't believe after all these years, grown adults have immortalized that troll with his /jranger BS. Sorry, but when I see a /Jranger, I honestly just can't take your opinion seriously. It's like listening to a 10 year old's opinion about quantum mechanics.... simply see them as background noise and shut them out.

Don't care

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

2 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

Badges you earned in a super hero videogame have no value.  

If they do for you, you must have a sad sad life.

Of course they have value if I value them, that's a silly thing to say, value doesn't just mean I can buy cigarettes with them you know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I believe in majority rules. Something society has seemed to lost value in over the years. However, I see that the majority here see my thoughts on the matter to be unfavorable. So therefore I forfeit the argument and concede that the majority has voted against the idea. Can't win them all, folks. For those who liked the idea, I appreciate your posts, but fair is fair and the majority have spoken. See ya on the next brilliant idea!  😄

No thanks. Been asked for MANY times and dismissed each time. The game is easy enough already. Badges are something completely optional except for accolades... it takes me 3.5 to 5 hours to get the main 4 accolades on my toons. Tired of the "gimme" and "i win button" attitude that is prevalent in the game post-sunset/HC. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

No thanks. Been asked for MANY times and dismissed each time. The game is easy enough already. Badges are something completely optional except for accolades... it takes me 3.5 to 5 hours to get the main 4 accolades on my toons. Tired of the "gimme" and "i win button" attitude that is prevalent in the game post-sunset/HC. 

I blame modern video games for spoiling people, especially freemium games.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Apparition said:

I blame modern video games for spoiling people, especially freemium games.

So you think because I inquired about some badges that has nothing to do with progression of the game, to be spoiled?

I don't play any of those types of games. I sure as hell don't play freemium games. I left SWTOR because it went free to play. I left this game when it went free to play, and this game has been my absolute game since launch. It breaks my heart when games go free to play, because at that point, I know everything will revolve around those damn lock boxes and less about earning what you want...for the price of 15 a month. You and I are no different there, my man. Just because I feel like under the conditions of the game, and feel as though all these badges I already had on live, and have earned yet again on Homecoming, and feel like the badges that do not gain you a boost to any stats should be global per server, does not mean I am all about wanting everything in game now now now. I just don't think in those terms, man. Yes, there are spoiled players in this game, but I sure as hell are not one of them. All one needs to do is look at all the power level beggars in LFG chat to see just how spoiled players have become. I come from the old school world of MMO's. I absolutely hate what the Eastern countries have done to the gaming world, because they started all that freemium crap to begin with, and American gaming industries seen all the stupid money they could make from it and followed suit. When this game went free to play and they opened up the cash shop to all the "PLEASE TAKE MY MONIES!" idiots in this game back then, I about puked and left the game...because I knew the spoiled players are what this game was now going to cater to.

This game is under special circumstances now. It's not live and everything we worked so hard for on live is lost forever. I have STILL not caught up to the progress I had on live, and I play a lot. So maybe with some people your idea of why I made this thread would apply, but it does not apply here. Accusing me of wanting "I Win buttons" and all that crap is a straight up unfair mischaracterization of what I am al about. Maybe check my post history and you'll see I shoot down "I want an I win button!" topics just as much as you do...not to mention, asking for this request is hardly winning anything. It's pure fluff...if you can even call it that. I has nothing whatsoever to do with the progression of your character...it makes no change to stats, power or anything else other than something to look at when somebody clicks on your character.

Want to know what is in this game that I fricken hate? The mission level slider that came from players wanting things easier. When I run a Task Force on +1, people actually complain about that and request I turn it down. It blows my damn mind how easy players want things in this game and sickens me to the core. I miss the days when you ran a Task Force, it wasn't your damn choice, you played on hard level like it or not.

I hate that we can fly at such early silly levels now. I hate that people complained about not getting flight or SS or SJ until level 14. I considered those people a bunch of spoiled crybabies who hurt this game by taking that away from this game. It used to be something to look forward to, now it's just another power that you can pick up whenever.

I hate that we don't have to run the missions to unlock Capes, or Auras. Those missions were challenging if you played them as soon as they came available. It was challenging and when you earned your Cape and Auras, you felt a certain feeling of accomplishment.

I was completely against the idea of A/E. I protested so hard against that idea, because I knew if implemented, it would only be used to farm...and guess what, I was shouted down at then and told that wouldn't happen...and guess what...I was right.

I was completely against a lot of things in this game that was implemented anyway...and now because of it, we have people complaining that the game was "too easy."

However, I have already made up my mind to let it go. I tossed the idea around, soaked in the feedback and accepted that the majority of people on the forums do not agree. I can accept that. It wasn't a huge deal anyway; as you can see, I didn't put up much of a  fight. I simply don't much care for somebody attacking my character as a player when all I inquired about was a fluff improvement. I wanted people's opinion, not their attacks. Your opinions were accepted, that should have been the end of it. There is a lot of character attacking on these forums simply over players asking others how they feel about a particular idea and it's pretty damn shady when there is no evidence to support the attack to people's character. It has a holier than thou ring to it, and I'm sure this is why it is done. It gives the illusion to others reading that boosts one's status over another's....when you break it down to the psychology. It's a cheap shot at another player who is every bit as intelligent and experienced in old school gaming as any of the rest of the people on these boards. I'm 44 years old going on 45, and I have been here playing this game just as long as any of the rest of you.

I think I have earned a better status than the title of a spoiled player.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Apparition said:

@Solarverse , my apologies.  I wasn't referring to anything in particular.  Not you, nor this suggestion, (although I mostly disagree with it).  It was a general statement.

Okay, I got ya. I just took ya wrong.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 7:25 AM, Tad Cooper said:

Badges are achievements. If the game were created this year they'd almost certainly be account wide and probably not come with bonuses at all. Instead they were designed by guys who thought you'd have one main and stick with it forever, which hilariously is pretty much what I do so this whole thread is academic to me.

I agree.  "Those guys" were not always right - their design choices aren't gospel and have been (and should continue to be) subject to change. 

19 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

The game WASN'T created this year though, and the badges are the characters achievements NOT th accounts, like I said, making this change is completely against the intention and the design of the badges, and damned if I'm going to be silent while people try and devalue the badges Ive earned.

I disagree.  IMO certain (not all) badges are my achievements as a player, not my individual character(s).  And I only speak for myself here, I think we are at a point in time where we can move on from what the "original design intent" was.  The game will have to evolve if it is to survive.

Although I can see the benefit to the argument, I also see badges as a story of a character's journey. 

The problem with a global badge system is that it would have to be applied globally to be uniform across the player-base. In addition, it would throw out of balance the system of badges that can actually grant powers and stat bonuses. For example, a level 1 character with the Atlas Medallion could unbalance low-level progression, as easy as that already is with DFBs and rested XP.

That's just a basic example off the top of my head, but empirically I think that there aren't enough merits and definitely issues with making badges global across all players across a server/ account.

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

18 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

Badges you earned in a super hero videogame have no value.  

If they do for you, you must have a sad sad life.

Comments made in a super hero videogame forum have no value

If they do for you, then you have a sad sad life

Oh the irony...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

Oh the irony...

it also raises the question if the badges have no value, why does he want them?

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

7 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

it also raises the question if the badges have no value, why does he want them?

I specifically said that I don't care about the badges if you read my earlier comments.  

12 minutes ago, biostem said:

Oh the irony...

Agreed.  I honestly don't care for your opinions.  I never said I valued anything in this discussion or that I took pride in anything said here.  My only comments in this thread were pointing out the hypocrisy of certain other commenters who previously advocated for taking away things from the game that are currently available to all.  

But go ahead and feel like there's some Gotcha moment here before you go back to feeling "proud" of your shiny pixels.  

1 minute ago, Omega-202 said:

I specifically said that I don't care about the badges if you read my earlier comments.  

Agreed.  I honestly don't care for your opinions.  I never said I valued anything in this discussion or that I took pride in anything said here.  My only comments in this thread were pointing out the hypocrisy of certain other commenters who previously advocated for taking away things from the game that are currently available to all.  

But go ahead and feel like there's some Gotcha moment here before you go back to feeling "proud" of your shiny pixels.  

so you are basically just a troll?

so what you value is belittling and annoying other people anonymously?  It's either that, or you place value on the conversation in the thread or you wouldn't be posting here

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Honestly, it's bad enough either you have to waste time grinding for your alpha slot to unlock instead of spending Astrals like you used to be able to on live instead of endlessly doing the Ramiel arc...

Factor in that you always need to get the 4 accolades if you want a character to be the best it can be, and it's a lot of time that you NEED to spend on every character doing one of two things, for the hero or villain accolade.

If it's "it'll make people do more content!" as an excuse, IE TFs for Task Force Commander... if the TFs aren't fun enough to run for merits/xp/etc, why should we run them for a buff? If it's "this is how it was!" then I hate to break it to you, this game changed a LOT from issue 0.  If it's "I had to do it" then, again, refer to how much the game has changed.

HC did a lot to make the game more player friendly.

It's not a big show of pride to have the 4 Endurance/HP accolades.

It just shows you sunk the time, and after the tenth time, is there really anything fun about that? For some people, yes, but for others, no, and this is a game about alts... so respecting that, to me, feels key.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

Then your time must be worth very little...

I think the answer may lie in compromise.  IF any of it is possible, offer options on the character creation area to choose global or character based badges.  Also offer old school or HC style (for those who want the 'grind').  Give people more options instead of limiting them to only one way or the other.  Now, it may be impossible to implement global badges.  It may be impossible to roll back the changes that took out a lot of 'grind'.  But IF they are possible, why limit people?  I think a lot of the changes HC has implemented open up options and I like options so in my opinion its a good way to go.  And maybe not piss off too many people.

• Like 1