The Request We have all been dreading, but knew was coming...

Solarverse

Global Badges.

I feel as though at this point in the game history, it is completely redundant, monotonous and time consuming to grind badges across multiple characters; with the exception of any badge that grants extra abilities, powers, buffs or weapons, IE Accolades. We have all been through this before during live, and during live I was against the idea...however, it's no longer live, and almost all of these badges I have already driven myself mad getting previously.

Would be a great addition to the game if once we unlock a badge, it unlocks for all characters on your account or server, minus the accolades.

Edit: I believe in majority rules. Something society has seemed to lost value in over the years. However, I see that the majority here see my thoughts on the matter to be unfavorable. So therefore I forfeit the argument and concede that the majority has voted against the idea. Can't win them all, folks. For those who liked the idea, I appreciate your posts, but fair is fair and the majority have spoken. See ya on the next brilliant idea! 😄

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1

I'm of two minds on this suggestion.

On the one hand:  Time saver!  I have over 115 Alts, spanning roughly 3/4s of a dozen accounts.  While I imagine that it's unlikely that I could share my Badges across accounts, even having to only worry about them on one account at a time could be helpful.

On the other hand:  I kind of like to define my characters with particular Badges, and it adds a certain element to roleplay for other players to see what sorts of activities a particular character of mine has been up to.

. . . so, as I am wont to do from time to time to almost-all-the-bloody-time:  COMPROMISE!

(Disclaimer:  This idea would take more work than just making everything universally Account-wide, but . . . that's me!)

Have a greyed-out version of each Badge which is unlocked on every Alt per Account, which the user can select for the Badge Title, but doesn't translate to any other benefit (such as Accolades, Day Jobs, or Gladiators).  Then, the player can unlock those specific Badges on that Alt the normal way, replacing the greyscale version with the full-colour version of the Badge, and also unlocking any associated benefits.

Honestly, though . . . I kind of think this one can go on the backburner of a backstove in the backkitchen.  If a random volunteer wants to tackle it; awesome!  But I don't think it's worthwhile putting on the Homecoming Roadmap of Development (if we ever get such a thing).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

this one can go on the backburner of a backstove in the backkitchen. 

I could not help but LOL at this comment, I am sooo going to have to remember that line.  😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's the thing that set me on this thread. Every time I log in a new character, I get the badges from where I once ran an AE mission. So I thought, 'why in the hell do I get these stupid badges (sorry, not a big fan of those badges) but not the other ones I worked for?' Makes no sense.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1

@Solarverse I get it. But, something like below would be okay as long as it was minimal effort.

34 minutes ago, Wild Claw said:

However, I can see some new global Badges for account-wide accomplishments. Like the 'No Life' badge for maintaining 500 alts, or something. 😉

Otherwise:

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

The rest, IMO, should be earned from character to character.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Would be a great addition to the game if once we unlock a badge, it unlocks for all characters on your account or server, minus the accolades.

/jranger

The absolute last thing this game needs is more "free stuff".  If they're that important to you, they should be worth getting out and earning.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

9 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Here's the thing that set me on this thread. Every time I log in a new character, I get the badges from where I once ran an AE mission. So I thought, 'why in the hell do I get these stupid badges (sorry, not a big fan of those badges) but not the other ones I worked for?' Makes no sense.

AE missions are linked to your Global Name not the character. You don't get the various AE kill Badges just the people like your mission badges. (I get them too on my main account, maybe I ought to get them free on my other accounts?)

9 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

The absolute last thing this game needs is more "free stuff". 

Was it free though? I guess that depends on how you look at it. I work for all my badges. That's how I look at it.

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Was it free though? I guess that depends on how you look at it. I work for all my badges. That's how I look at it.

0.o

If you earn the badge on ReallySuperDuperMan, and then it magically pops up on SlightlySuperDuperMan and KindaSuperDuperMan...  Then yes, it is free (or at least sharply discounted) because you put in one third of the work it previously took to earn the badge on three characters.  In that instance, getting two badges for zero effort on that character, there's no possible way to claim that you "worked for all your badges".

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

It's just not how I feel now that we all had to start all over from scratch again.

With the exception of vet badges, on Live you started from scratch every time you started a new alt.  And that's pretty much what we're doing now - starting a bunch of alts (admittedly after a gap of some years).  Effectively, nothing has changed in that respect.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

The Live devs were planning something along those lines, to reduce the need to grind out Accolade badges. For example, if a character got the Slayer badge for 200 Vampires, then all other characters on that account would need 20% less vampires. If someone got the Task Force Commander Accolade, other characters on the account would need only 5 of the 6 Task Forces to get the accolade.

2 minutes ago, Kyksie said:

The Live devs were planning something along those lines, to reduce the need to grind out Accolade badges. For example, if a character got the Slayer badge for 200 Vampires, then all other characters on that account would need 20% less vampires. If someone got the Task Force Commander Accolade, other characters on the account would need only 5 of the 6 Task Forces to get the accolade.

Hmm, I think that I would oppose this, for what it’s worth (not much).  I’m not a fan of making things easier.  If you want an accolade on a character, either do the grind or do without.  My 2 inf.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

Introducing Medals: Global badges/meta-badges.

Use the old Veteran Reward system to claim the badges right for you!

Examples:

Atlas Tour Guide Medal: Earn Atlas Tour Guide Badge on 4 separate characters.

Click to claim your reward, which will grant you the 8 badges required for Atlas Tour Guide.

Slayer Medal:  Earn the Slayer Badge (200 Vampyri) on 2 separate characters.

Click to claim your reward, which will grant you the Slayer Badge.

::::

I've seen similar ideas bandied about before.  I figured I'd flesh out some structure to it.  I could get behind an implementation like this, at least.

• Like 1

I really don't get some of you people. Who on earth has ever said to themselves, "Well,  I sure am looking forward to grinding out Fake Nemeses for that 10% hp bonus," in an unironic fashion? No one. Ever. In the entirety of history. And if you're thinking, "Oh, I like that. It's relaxing," you're lying to us and to yourself. It's just another annoying thing like the grind to 20 you're all happy to skip with DFB or the grind to 50 or money you're all happy to skip with the stupid AE farms. But no, THIS is different. This requires eye rolling dismissal.

I like MetaVileTerror's idea. In fact, to expand on it: you should be able to blow merits on badges you've already earned. You've got to do them the real way on one character, then they show up grayed out on your other characters and you can just spend reward merits to skip that pointless bullshit and light it up. Make it cost more in proportion to the amount of bullshit skipped. ReallySuperDuperMan was awarded the Atlas Medallion for fulfilling all the normal requirements, SlightlySuperDuperMan was awarded the Atlas Medallion for his heroism/villainy in doing several hundred merits worth of something else because he's just another face of a real person whose time has value.

I also agree that this is not high priority.

• Like 1