Attuned or Boosted (or Both)?

solarstriker

Only AT enhancements are attuned by default. Using Catalysts on them turns them into Purples instead. They cannot be Boosted.

Edit: Winter enhancements work this way, too.

You cannot Boost and Attune the same IO; one or the other.

There is no reason to Boost procs or global effect IOs. The only reason to Attune them is if they are high level, and you want them to contribute to set bonuses while exemplaring.

Purple and PVP IOs automatically grant the bonuses while exemplaring. There is no reason to attune Purples or level 50 PVP IOs. If you have sub-50 PVP IOs that give enhancement values, you might want to attune them, so that they level up with you.

If you exemplar a lot, it is worth getting the Attuned versions. If you mostly play at max level, Boosting might be worthwhile. Sometimes, you will already be so far into ED's effects that Boosting will have no noticeable impact. 

Edited by Roderick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can not boost and attune.

Do not attune purple sets, boost them.  Since purple set bonuses exp anyway. 

Attune those sets you want to get set bonuses for when exemplared.

Boost those IOs where set bonus matters less than enhancement value. 

For many global bonus IOs just buy them at a low level and use them as is.

21 minutes ago, solarstriker said:

Thanks for the replies, it clears it up for me now.

I made the mistake of using catalysts on the armageddon and ragnarok sets a while back (both purple sets).

Live and learn. You can sell them and but the non-attuned options if you want to boost them.

Boosting is really good for common IOs. I run Hasten with two boosted level 50 commons on all of my final builds.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Since every level 50 character can have at most two catalyzed ATO sets, the main other use I make of catalysts is to turn that level 50 Numinas or Performanc Shifter into something that can be slotted by a levelling character.  You have to equip them on a max level character before they can be catalyzed, so you catalyze theirs, unslot that one, and replace it with the new one while handing off the catalyzed version to the lowbie. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

While we are kind of on the subject of catalysts, are these programmed to drop at some interval after logging in with a character?  Seems I usually get one within 15 minutes of logging in/doing stuff.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

10 minutes ago, roleki said:

While we are kind of on the subject of catalysts, are these programmed to drop at some interval after logging in with a character?  Seems I usually get one within 15 minutes of logging in/doing stuff.

They have a (relatively high) chance to drop every X hours.  I don't know if X = 24, 20 or something else.  For this purpose let's just say 24.  So once one drops for you, you're shut out for 24 hours, then you're highly likely to get one shortly after the lockout period.

As to whether to catalyze a regular IO set, this would be the rational decision:

Cost of Catalyst ~ IO purchase price - IO sale price

If the left of the "~" is greater than the right, then sell your IO and repurchase it attuned.  If you're able to buy and sell for the same price, you've paid a 10% "attunement fee".  Let's just say a catalyst is 2M inf, then an item would have to cost 20M inf to break even.  

To summarize that, if an IO is more than 20M, then catalyze it.  If it's less than 20M, then sell and repurchase as attuned.

To really get to the nitty gritty - no regular IO costs 20M, so don't catalyze them.  Sell your crafted IO and purchase it again as attuned.

Note - that's the rational play.  I have to confess that I've got more catalysts than I will ever use so from time to time, I'm irrational to save some time and effort.  Also note I'm using the term "rational" in the context of investments, not psychology so I'm not saying anyone not adhering to this is an irrational person.

21 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

Note - that's the rational play.  I have to confess that I've got more catalysts than I will ever use so from time to time, I'm irrational to save some time and effort.  Also note I'm using the term "rational" in the context of investments, not psychology so I'm not saying anyone not adhering to this is an irrational person.

I believe the word you are looking for is logical.

On 11/29/2019 at 12:47 PM, Hedgefund said:

To really get to the nitty gritty - no regular IO costs 20M, so don't catalyze them.  Sell your crafted IO and purchase it again as attuned.

I have to agree. Once you have so many catalysts it actually seems to me like a waste to not use them.

Generally, I use attuned for all normal IO sets. 

AT sets and Winter sets I turn into Superior. 

Purple sets already scale down so attuning does nothing.. I boost these to +5 (note, proc's don't let you boost them and they wouldn't change anything if they did, so don't buy boosters for the procs).   

And generic IOs I boost as well.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I normally attune most of my IOs, however the final powers in your build - the 41 and up, which are usually epic picks - might be better off boosted instead so you can get the most bang out of them, provided you don't desperately need their set bonuses. Most of the higher level TFs will scale up to 50 so exemplaring isn't an issue unless you say, run an ITF at exactly 35; you'll have all your powers and want to use them, and you can therefore benefit from those epic attacks being really powerful.  Just a thought, it depends a lot on what content you play.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

On 11/29/2019 at 11:16 AM, roleki said:

Level 50 characters are guaranteed at least one Catalyst drop reward every 20 hours.  I don't know if this is a thing from retail, or something added by HC, but it's a nice perk and incentive to logon your 50s and play them at least once a day, if only for no other reason than to get a "free" Catalyst (usually worth 2-3 million Inf each).

(edit) Note: you actually have to play the 50 to get the "free" Catalyst as a drop from a defeated foe or completed mission.  You don't get one for just logging on and chatting with catgirls in Pocket D. 😉

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer