Anyone a Psychologist who can help explain this to me?

Solarverse

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

As long as we are looking for deeper meanin... when someone is going 48 on a smooth clear freeway so i get my semi over to pass them. Why why why do they soeed up to 60 almost always.  No really. Why ?

My personal theory, and I'm no Psycho chicken, is the fight or flight reflex kicks in, your Semi registers as "bigger than me, therefore a threat" and "to big to fight, time to run" either that or people are rude self-centred pricks who don't want you in front of them for "reasons"  one of those is likely true 😄

• Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

2 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

My personal theory, and I'm no Psycho chicken, is the fight or flight reflex kicks in, your Semi registers as "bigger than me, therefore a threat" and "to big to fight, time to run" either that or people are rude self-centred pricks who don't want you in front of them for "reasons"  one of those is likely true 😄

Its the second one.  Even in my Corolla people do this and it is certainly no 'big threat' to anyone. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, EmmySky said:

Its the second one.  Even in my Corolla people do this and it is certainly no 'big threat' to anyone. 

I actually believe it's both, there is the asshole factor, but I've noticed it happens even more to trucks, which is kinda suicidally stupid in a way, people just seem to completely miss the consequences of a little thing called inertia

• Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

27 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

I actually believe it's both, there is the asshole factor, but I've noticed it happens even more to trucks, which is kinda suicidally stupid in a way, people just seem to completely miss the consequences of a little thing called inertia

For trucks there is also the visibility aspect, and they understand at least one part of the consequences of inertia. Being behind a semi means that your visibility is severely restricted, and they understand that "I don't want to be behind something that's going to accelerate slower than me from a stop."

And yes, some people are just ***holes.

Edited by siolfir
  • Haha 1

Just now, siolfir said:

For trucks there is also the visibility aspect, and they understand at least one part of the consequences of inertia. Being behind a semi means that your visibility is severely restricted, and they understand that "I don't want to be behind something that's going to accelerate slower than me from a stop."

And yes, some people are just ***holes.

I meant the idiots that speed up to keep the truck behind them and then slow down causing all sorts of issues and dangers because they don't understand inertia, sorry for not being clear

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

3 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

I meant the idiots that speed up to keep the truck behind them and then slow down causing all sorts of issues and dangers because they don't understand inertia, sorry for not being clear

Yeah, those people are annoying and just stupid - I just saw the "doing 48, speed up to 60 just to not get passed" part and didn't see anything about slamming on the brakes afterwards. I occasionally wonder how many of them are looking at the injury lawsuit billboards on the side of the road and thinking of ways to get rich quick, but that would attribute malice to what could just be gross stupidity and as such would be a violation of Hanlon's Razor.

Just now, siolfir said:

Yeah, those people are annoying and just stupid - I just saw the "doing 48, speed up to 60 just to not get passed" part and didn't see anything about slamming on the brakes afterwards. I occasionally wonder how many of them are looking at the injury lawsuit billboards on the side of the road and thinking of ways to get rich quick, but that would attribute malice to what could just be gross stupidity and as such would be a violation of Hanlon's Razor.

having been first on the scene at a suicide by semi, it's also not the safest way to get the lawsuit,  a normal vehicle is little more than a speed bump to a semi at highway speeds

• Sad 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

3 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

having been first on the scene at a suicide by semi, it's also not the safest way to get the lawsuit,  a normal vehicle is little more than a speed bump to a semi at highway speeds

Yeah, it happens all the time around here but it's usually with people slamming their brakes in front of cars and SUVs instead.

29 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

Then this would explain Simi's who ride side by side, blocking both lanes of traffic. They do it to get back at the morons that they deal with daily.  😄

22 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

I can't imagine having to see something like that. I think that would do a number on my mental health. Salute to you, sir.

5 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Defeat has no meaning in the game outside of badges.

And I think this is the reason for the Op's observation/complaint... there is no real need for communications in the group.

You die... BFD. You are not debuffed long term, there is no possible lose of level, and there are easy res's in the group. Even if there is no res in the group, so what, it's not like you are running naked back to the group because your gear is on your corpse (That will disappear along with all of your gear in so many hours if you do not recover it.). Even if the group whipes, again BFD. The mission is an instance so you do not have to make it through the re-spawns, or worry about another group taking the MOB, or the MOB de-spawning, making you wait more hours/days/week before you can encounter it again. Also the game itself has gotten progressively easier, hells even in the Op's example the group did not whipe, so even though they ignored the Team Leads order/suggestion it was still a BFD moment.

I used to think that not having the above was a good thing... I'm not so sure anymore, but there is definitely no need for real communications in CoH, so no need for a real Team Leader. This makes things difficult if your training and experience tells you that a Team Leader is supposed to well... lead.

• Thanks 1

I've seen people call out specific targets on that TF quite often.  Maybe I'm the only one but my main problem with following that particular instruction is a lot of times I have a hard time distinguishing which shadow is which.  I'm getting old so maybe it is just my eyesight. 

In that particular situation as described, by the time I'd get close enough to maybe see which one was the widow, she'd probably already have thrown her grenade.  Best I can do is if someone does give that direction is to try and target through them, but funnily enough that doesn't always work out either as they don't often stay focused on a single target either. 

• Thanks 1

This thread has really brought to light both extremes: people being overwhelmingly controlling and people being extremely petty when offered (or *gasp* told to follow) a set of instructions.  Both extremes are up their own asses which should be an indicator.  If the highway exit you're about to take says "North YourAss" you should probably start reflecting.

It's just a game so no reason to take things seriously or personally and yet, a common factor in playing games is following instructions and discovering patterns.  I'm sure we're all just blowing this out of proportion and no one's actually polishing a strong opinion here.  We're just airing opinions and chatting, although some can be more abrasive than others (me!).

I'd say battle it out in the game and get some of the posters in the thread to run the TF as a group.  

1 minute ago, Riverdusk said:

I've seen people call out specific targets on that TF quite often.  Maybe I'm the only one but my main problem with following that particular instruction is a lot of times I have a hard time distinguishing which shadow is which.  I'm getting old so maybe it is just my eyesight. 

If you target the leader of the team, you will also be targeting whatever the team leader is targeting.

In that particular situation as described, by the time I'd get close enough to maybe see which one was the widow, she'd probably already have thrown her grenade.  Best I can do is if someone does give that direction is to try and target through them, but funnily enough that doesn't always work out either as they don't often stay focused on a single target either. 

Whoops, didn't see this, so you were already aware of the targeting tactic. I typically don't have a problem figuring it out unless the character has nothing that stands out. Like if all our team is wearing is tights, without anything that stands out, that can be pretty difficult.

4 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

This thread has really brought to light both extremes: people being overwhelmingly controlling and people being extremely petty when offered (or *gasp* told to follow) a set of instructions.  Both extremes are up their own asses which should be an indicator.  If the highway exit you're about to take says "North YourAss" you should probably start reflecting.

I promise you, I do not bark orders or demand players play a certain way. I put out the suggestion and hope for the best. It's all I can do. Some posters made me out to be more than that, but this is so very far from the truth. It's gotten to the point where I am starting to hold my tongue a lot more, because of my experiences on these boards. I never realized that people would take things so ahrshly just by my putting out a suggestion. Sure, maybe I could take the extra time and sweeten the suggestion up, however, by time I do that, somebody would have already rushed in and died. So I type extremely fast, (hence the typo in the word blind, being spelled bind) because I know time is a luxury I don't have.

It's just a game so no reason to take things seriously or personally and yet, a common factor in playing games is following instructions and discovering patterns.  I'm sure we're all just blowing this out of proportion and no one's actually polishing a strong opinion here.  We're just airing opinions and chatting, although some can be more abrasive than others (me!).

Agreed.

I'd say battle it out in the game and get some of the posters in the thread to run the TF as a group.  

You mean team with Jubakumbi! We are polar opposites! It's like the immovable object meets the unstoppable object! We would cancel each other out!   😄

In all seriousness, I am willing to bet that half the people here who act as though I am such a horrible leader, has at one time been on one of my teams and had no clue I was leading that team...and I'm willing to bet we got along just fine. Forums is a monster all in of itself.

14 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

That TF is great for getting people that don't listen.  "Stay away from the doors until we clear around the area or we will get swarmed".....10 seconds later mobs pour out from city hall.

Every time ive been in a team wipe on that TF it was for that exact reason

12 hours ago, seebs said:

CoH tends not to require a ton of strategy or tactics. People often ignore suggestions for strategy and tactics.

In Posi 1, I usually focus on the best defender. I got lucky once, was on a team with only one defender, and I managed to confuse theirs. 🙂

Always did.  Even when it was much harder.

No one ever wanted to discuss tactics, try and avoid LOS or anything rational.  

Huge amount of the team wipes ive been in in COH would have been preventable.  

But, oh well.   Now that you can build solo nigh unkillable death machines of roving death, its just better to do that. 

Then if your team wipes, pop some insps and lol to yourself when you survive and just solo till they get back.

@Solarverse you are a saint.

This thread is making me hostile, with everyone assigning you intent you never stated (which you'll notice in a lot of my posts, is one thing that I find rampant - and disgusting - in this community)

I'm personally more interested in the psychological phenomenon that has everyone read "why does no one ever admit when they were wrong" and mentally transform it into "people owe me their worship."

So as to the question at hand - None of the other pre-WoW online games I've played or have knowledge of have ignored party strategy like CoH has. But they also don't typically see people simply admitting to being wrong. Instead, we typically see that silence shifted to finding blame.  What I find curious, here, is that people will happily fess up to things like "sorry, I burned my stun too early" or "whoops, I wasn't paying attention", but never never never "ok so you were right and that was a bad idea."

So to me, I feel the root cause is pride... But I prefer the silence over the LoL method of finding something that's at fault (which is absolutely, under no circumstances, the person seeking the fault).

Though I do want to mention that folks who don't invest heavily, early on, into chat customizations, will lose a lot of team messages to that window spamming same-color system messages.

As for all the virtuous anarchists in this thread, so divinely enraged at the idea of someone calling out a target in the world's easiest MMO:

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

-Douglas Adams

Edited by Replacement
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to add more to Replacement's words. This *is* turning needlessly hostile for what is a bit of harmless banter on the forums, but what Solarverse did I would have appreciated when I ran an underleveled team against Market Crash's last boss. We tried, we got defeated several times, people gave up. Three times, and they gave up...

Only later did I learn that the last boss does a -HP debuff and knowing this did I pay attention and sure enough there are no defenses and resistances in the world that can keep us up when we go from 1.7k HP to 600 HP.

So if someone had said, after the first wipe, 'Guys, if you are being targetted take a few hits but then run away for someone else to take the aggro so the debuff drops' then I'm sure we could have managed it without the disbanding.

And while a lot of people here are acting as if they were born bred and raised suckling on CoH's teat I'm pretty sure that they had to learn it. A widow blinding or the Red Prototype doing a -HP debuff are good things to be made aware of.

Personally even now I drop the SG macro base into the chat when running a TF instead of assuming everyone knows of it by now. And I still get the occasional 'oh hey, this is *very* useful!' indicating someone didn't.

Edited by Sovera
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Again, on the attack I see. Right on the money, eh? You made an accusation, I called it out. You are in attack mode which makes it difficult to have a real conversation. But I will try one last time to keep this civil...

So let's see here, me explaining to my team that the widow will blind the team and to take her out first is something you consider unwanted advice. Even though it would have saved the team some down time had they taken it.  So in your opinion, I should have said nothing at all? What in your opinion is advice you would welcome...if any?

I'm not attacking you just pointing out based on your posts that you appear to be one of those people who needs constant affirmation and have a need for everyone to listen to you.  Nothing wrong with it, its just how you are.  Calm down.

To answer your you questions - nothing at all and I welcome advice that I ask for,.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

I'm not attacking you just pointing out based on your posts that you appear to be one of those people who needs constant affirmation and have a need for everyone to listen to you.  Nothing wrong with it, its just how you are.  Calm down.

To answer your you questions - nothing at all and I welcome advice that I ask for,.

Not accusatory or belittling in the least. /s

Can I try? "I'm not calling you a dick, I'm just saying you have an obvious and constant need to appear as one."

Stop outright attacking people and then pretending they're being unreasonable for defending themselves. Its a stupid look.

EDIT: I don't feel like I was blunt enough. You literally just said "I'm not attacking you" and went on to attack his character in the very same sentence. If you cannot understand why this is not ok, I think you should consider talking to someone who does have the degree this thread asked for.

Edited by Replacement
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Not accusatory or belittling in the least. /s

Can I try? "I'm not calling you a dick, I'm just saying you have an obvious and constant need to appear as one."

Stop outright attacking people and then pretending they're being unreasonable for defending themselves. Its a stupid look.

This coming from someone telling me I "look stupid"....

Man that isn't what I said not even close.  some people need constant affirmation from others and like I said nothing wrong with it. 

23 hours ago, GM Arcanum said:

I've actually been on several task forces where people will message me afterwards to inform me they moved 'team chat' into its own tab so they don't have to read it.

Seems a bit odd, personally, when you're doing a Task Force. However, to each their own. ^_^

Probably don't want that chat to get in the way of them looking for their next AE farming team 😛

• Haha 1