New pool: Enhanced Senses

Menelruin

Think like Daredevil, Spider-Man, or Superman.  Not gonna lie, mostly just want something to FIND THAT LAST GODDAMN 5TH COLUMN IN THE POOL ROOM!

I'm imagining some powers would include an accuracy buff, a dodge bonus against ranged attacks, and an enhanced perception, limited duration power that also let you see enemies through walls and/or spot them on your map, akin to x-ray vision or super hearing.  Might also be cool to be able to spot an enemy's relative defenses and resists, though I think that data is all online anyway.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Menelruin said:

Think like Daredevil, Spider-Man, or Superman.  Not gonna lie, mostly just want something to FIND THAT LAST GODDAMN 5TH COLUMN IN THE POOL ROOM!

I'm imagining some powers would include an accuracy buff, a dodge bonus against ranged attacks, and an enhanced perception, limited duration power that also let you see enemies through walls and/or spot them on your map, akin to x-ray vision or super hearing.  Might also be cool to be able to spot an enemy's relative defenses and resists, though I think that data is all online anyway.

There is a power called Surveillance that does something like that last one, so the capability does exist.

• Like 2

Just an alternative power that protected accuracy and added perception would be valuable as a pool power itself. 

Some of these could be auto powers or clicks as well.  

So for example, if you had the auto power of "perception" you get tactics level of blindness protection/perception and acc protection.  But unlike Tactics it was self only, and wouldn't take any IO sets 

Edited by Haijinx
  • Like 1

I think I'd only be ok with marking glowies if the range was short (like, it adds them to your map once you've passed within 40' of them).  That would make the most sense as an Auto power.  Enemy radar could be much larger.

I've been thinking for a long time about how i'd like to see a Power Pool focused on "crazy perceptive detective" types, like Sherlock Downey Jr. or the guy from that show Psych, who see a room and make ridiculously in-depth snap-analysis. 

But in my mind, I've been thinking it could be combined with comic book style hypnotism as a more generic "Mentalism" set -- stuff that could be super, but comic books often claim even entirely natural types can do (which is why I think power pool is a great place for it).

Edited by Replacement
  • Like 2

Another thing you can do with Enhanced Senses is instead make it only 1-2 powers in something like a "Primal" power pool, where Spider-man represents someone who only took 1 power out of it and Daredevil took 2-3, and a werewolf type character might have all 5.

Edited by Replacement
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, boggo2300 said:

You realise showing the last mob and the last glowie is in the game already, it's just really buggy, it was added about issue 22?  it just doesn't work reliably and often doesn't trigger at all, but it's there

Okay, the last FEW if I'm not sure what floor they're on, or there's a cluster somewhere, etc.  The point still stands =P

4 hours ago, Communistpenguin said:

Why not just make it a power that shoes all enemies within a certain radius of you on the map? I know that would still be a godsend. i spent like a half hour today hunting down the last negotiator to save today, even though I had flown by them like 5 times.

considering they haven't been able to get the minimap icon stuff for the last mobs and glowies to work reliably since live,  I suspect this will be HARD to do

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

The problem I have with this idea is the powers come in orders.

Heightened Sight

Heightened Smell

Heightened Hearing

Heightened Vision

Cosmic/Combat/Sixth Sense

Not all who have Cosmic Awareness even have other heightened senses.  Also, I put that last one as a catch all.

Feels more like something we should have in a superhero game with some talent points/trees.

There's a function in the game already to show the last few mobs in a map; I'm not sure what it's threshold is (last 5% maybe?) but it will show the last 2-3.  Provided it doesn't get buggy like it's been known to do.  It also shows the location of the last glowie, at least on missions where there's multiple glowies.

A power that shows the location of enemies within a certain radius would indeed be very useful but it's quite possible it would be a nightmare to get working.  Actually, it's quite LIKELY it would be a nightmare to get working given the, er, interesting way the game's code works.

Would I like to see it happen?  Absolutely yes.  Is it likely more trouble than it's worth to get working?  Unfortunately it may well be.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Side note, a better case example of when you need this sort of power:

Let's say you're in a mission, "Kill the lead baddie and his minions," and the lead happens to be in a place like the pool room, a multi-level cave section, etc.  If you miss ONE minion in that room, getting him marked on your map requires going back through the map and killing damn near EVERYTHING else, even if it wasn't required for the mission in the first place.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, BrandX said:

The problem I have with this idea is the powers come in orders.

Heightened Sight

Heightened Smell

Heightened Hearing

Heightened Vision

Cosmic/Combat/Sixth Sense

Not all who have Cosmic Awareness even have other heightened senses.  Also, I put that last one as a catch all.

Feels more like something we should have in a superhero game with some talent points/trees.

I feel the solution is to zoom out a bit; take a less granular view.

Stuff like Enhanced Senses or some sort of Tracker power make sense as tier 1s; sixth sense type stuff can come as a tier 2.  This is why I suggested before combining it into a broader pool like Primal -- if you can choose just the 1-2 powers that suits you, all the better. 

Enhanced Senses could be Batman's detective vision (Arkham games), Daredevil's general awareness, and even Wolverine's smell -- it's all up to you about how important the power is to your character.  No reason to part that out into 20% of your power picks.