"Safe Mode" Client May Be Going Away Soon

Manga

Update:

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Hello! In order to keep the conversation in the right place, please use this thread if you need support with Windows, and this thread if you need support with Mac OS X. Thanks!

The "Safe Mode" CoH client might be going away very soon.

This might effect you if you use the Mac client with Wineskin or Cider.  If you're using either of those, now is the time to attempt using the non-"64-bit" CoH client instead.  Post here if you have any trouble with that.

As usual, I recommend using the Mac client with at least macOS Sierra (10.12) and with the built-in Wine client.  You can accomplish that by removing "City of Heroes.app" and "CoH.app" from the /Applications folder and re-launching Island Rum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I don't personally use the Safe Mode client, but I'd be interested to know why it might be going away.

I'm not enthusiastic about any changes to the game that degrade the play experience of any other players. 😞

On Excelsior : Plasma Fury (Fire/Fire Blaster) - Prodigal (WP/SS Tank) - Terra Forma (Earth/Storm Controller)

• City Council
1 minute ago, TyrantMikey said:

I don't personally use the Safe Mode client, but I'd be interested to know why it might be going away.

I'm not enthusiastic about any changes to the game that degrade the play experience of any other players. 😞

There are some backend changes we want to make that will break Safe Mode.

• Confused 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

2 hours ago, GM Widower said:

There are some backend changes we want to make that will break Safe Mode.

Well, I can tell you that prior to the 64-bit update I played for four months and had maybe three crashes. Post update, even though I'm using the 32-bit client, I crash every night. Safe mode is what lets me join trials and TFs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ulysses Dare said:

Well, I can tell you that prior to the 64-bit update I played for four months and had maybe three crashes. Post update, even though I'm using the 32-bit client, I crash every night. Safe mode is what lets me join trials and TFs.

Out of curiosity, what OS are you using?

The 64bit version has been very good for me. I can't think of one crash since I started using it. I was hesitant for quite a while since CoH was not originally built for the 64bit era but I use that version exclusively now. I also sometimes run two instances and again, no crashes. Thank you, devs!!!

Windows 10 64bit build 1903

AMD R5 1600

RX 470 4Gb

16GB DDR4 3000

• City Council
4 hours ago, Logansan said:

Since the 64 bit version came in I have had little reason to use the Safe Mode version on my main PC but it is now the only one that works on my second PC.  However, that PC is still running Windows XP so I kind of will understand if does go away.

What happens when you run the 32-bit version on XP? It's not really officially supported, but we do build the 32-bit client with XP support and it was working a while back AFAIK.

If the safe mode client goes away the game will be unplayable for me.  I'm running it under wine on Ubuntu Linux.  I've tried both the 32 and 64-bit clients and can't get either to run.  They crash and exit immediately.  I've been hoping that there would be a new guide for Linux users but haven't come across any updated instructions.

Same for Mids', unfortunately.  It seems that Mac users have better community support getting all this stuff to work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, carroto said:

If the safe mode client goes away the game will be unplayable for me.  I'm running it under wine on Ubuntu Linux.  I've tried both the 32 and 64-bit clients and can't get either to run.  They crash and exit immediately.  I've been hoping that there would be a new guide for Linux users but haven't come across any updated instructions.

Same for Mids', unfortunately.  It seems that Mac users have better community support getting all this stuff to work.

Yeah I don't recall seeing any real info on Linux for this game in all the time HC has been up, unless I missed something.

4 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Yeah I don't recall seeing any real info on Linux for this game in all the time HC has been up, unless I missed something.

There was Linux install information at one time.  Without it I never would have been able to start playing.  Now I just looked at the main post with install instructions and there's no mention of Linux, so I guess it was removed?  There are a couple of alternatives to the Tequila launcher that seem to have been created for Linux users so clearly at some point there was a push to support Linux.  No updates to install instructions in a long time though, so I wonder if those of us using Linux are going to be left behind soon.

1 minute ago, carroto said:

There was Linux install information at one time.  Without it I never would have been able to start playing.  Now I just looked at the main post with install instructions and there's no mention of Linux, so I guess it was removed?  There are a couple of alternatives to the Tequila launcher that seem to have been created for Linux users so clearly at some point there was a push to support Linux.  No updates to install instructions in a long time though, so I wonder if those of us using Linux are going to be left behind soon.

Interesting. Hope you Linux gals/guys get some support. ☹️

54 minutes ago, carroto said:

At the moment, it's possible I am both the Linux and Mac support "team".  I've been swamped getting the Mac version to run for everyone, though, so I haven't had much time to deal with Linux.  I don't even have a Linux computer of VM working to test with at the moment, so I kind of blindly build Island Rum for Linux based on assumptions from the Mac platform.  I have tested it in the past though, and Island Rum did run and launch CoH.

What will really help you is that I built Island Rum for Linux to use the same graphics subsystem as CoH - OpenGL.  If you drop the Island Rum application into a terminal, and google the errors, you will be able to figure out which graphics drivers and extensions you need to install to get Island Rum to load.  And if you get that far, CoH should load as well.

Edited by Manga
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 11:04 PM, Number Six said:

What happens when you run the 32-bit version on XP? It's not really officially supported, but we do build the 32-bit client with XP support and it was working a while back AFAIK.

The 32 bit version was working fine (although it did crash often) until the Safe Mode version come out then it started to get a error message on start up but I then simply started to use the Safe Mode version which worked fine on XP.

However, I can't do any testing at the moment as that PC died a couple of days ago, the main hard drive finally gave up after 18 years of hard work 🙂

13 hours ago, ILIWAPCT said:

I'd prefer Safe Mode not go away.

It's an old game.

Depending on our systems we can all play now.

Dropping Safe Mode isn't going to give us COH2.

no but keeping it will prevent the improvements the Homecoming team are working on being implemented

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Change is inevitable.  Legacy support always complicates real change to the point where, in order to accommodate what has been, some of the changes that everyone is clamoring for, are difficult, or impossible to implement.  Just with anything in the tech industry, at some point, a line will have to be drawn, and support for something holding up progress will have to be dropped, in order to move forward.  There are always repercussions with change.  The hope always is that they are minimal, and fixable.  In some rare cases, that will mean someone might be left behind, which is regrettable.  But, that should never stop innovation, or the push to make things better.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

3 hours ago, Abraxus said:

The hope always is that they are minimal, and fixable. 

That's the hope.  That doesn't appear to be the reality.  I can use the Safe Mode client, or I can go back to all the years of going "I wish I could play CoH right now, but I can't"... and soon I'll only be able to choose one of those options.  (Or, I guess, there's the third option "Hope a leprechaun appears in my apartment and shits out a pile of gold so I can go buy a new computer", but that one's not very likely)

• Like 1

I hope they are able to find a way to ensure anyone who wants to, can play for as long as they want going forward.  But, like you said, I'm just not sure how feasible that hope would be, especially since I don't know what changes would need to be made to implement the features that they hope to bring to the game.

What was no more, is REBORN!

The changes were necessary to support both current MacOS and future Windows support, as well as solving slow deprecation of the ancient development tools required to build CoH.  In short, planning for the future.

If your OS is old enough or broken enough not to support what is really an incremental change, now is a good time to fix it before something else you want to run won’t

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Manga said:

The changes were necessary to support both current MacOS and future Windows support, as well as solving slow deprecation of the ancient development tools required to build CoH.  In short, planning for the future.

If your OS is old enough or broken enough not to support what is really an incremental change, now is a good time to fix it before something else you want to run won’t

It always amuses me how people who are deeply involved in the I.T field, as I assume any Island Run developer must be, always blithely assume that replacing an old PC is a trivial exercise for users who aren't. It also amuses me when the people who broke a program that was working fine insist the problem is my computer and not their code work.

28 minutes ago, Ulysses Dare said:

It always amuses me how people who are deeply involved in the I.T field, as I assume any Island Run developer must be, always blithely assume that replacing an old PC is a trivial exercise for users who aren't. It also amuses me when the people who broke a program that was working fine insist the problem is my computer and not their code work.

Sometimes you just have to break a few eggs in order to make an omelet.

• Like 1