I can play City of Heroes blindfolded. With my forehead.

SmokinIndo

Just now, SmokinIndo said:

I'm one of the people playing, and I'm not having fun. If constructive criticism isn't your thing, then continue playing a broken game that's soon to have zero players.

It would have 0 a lot sooner if lunatic posts like yours actually get their way.

• Like 1

People should consider what the OP says more sincerely, and then either agree to disagree or simply explain that it doesn't matter to them personally. You won't get anywhere with this side of the community by dismissing them without understanding them.

Every single argument of "you aren't playing for challenge" is silly, and is boiled down to promoting arbitrary limitations so that you can simulate difficulty. Guys, that isn't resolving the problem for any of the people that make this complaint, and I seriously can't comprehend why any of you think the equivalent of "if you think the race track is too easy, let yourself get fat" would be satisfying to the adverse argument here. You can't just say "don't make yourself powerful, stop using IOs". Be ashamed if you are /jrangering this!

The game is 100% extremely easy. This cannot be denied, and makes his concerns legitimate. However, I am apart of the faction that doesn't mind at all, and likes being overwhelmingly powerful. But this +8 (actually +6) idea would be an easy remedy to be applied to end game content. 

I recently exemplared a fully IOd incarnate scrapper to 48 and began fighting level 54s in dark astoria. THAT was a magnificent challenge! I still felt powerful, but the enemies were a definite threat. I could see the option for this providing happiness for both sides, and also making it automatic for level 50 task forces and incarnate trials. Despite liking power, I at the very least can grasp the desire to have the trials be an undertaking.

Edited by monos1
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, monos1 said:

People should consider what the OP says more sincerely, and then either agree to disagree or simply explain that it doesn't matter to them personally. You won't get anywhere with this side of the community by dismissing them without understanding them.

Every single argument of "you aren't playing for challenge" is silly, and is boiled down to promoting arbitrary limitations so that you can simulate difficulty. Guys, that isn't resolving the problem for any of the people that make this complaint, and I seriously can't comprehend why any of you think the equivalent of "if you think the race track is too easy, let yourself get fat" would be satisfying to the adverse argument here. You can't just say "don't make yourself powerful, stop using IOs". Be ashamed if you are /jrangering this!

The game is 100% extremely easy. This cannot be denied, and makes his concerns legitimate. However, I am apart of the faction that doesn't mind at all, and likes being overwhelmingly powerful. But this +8 (actually +6) idea would be an easy remedy to be applied to end game content. 

I recently exemplared a fully IOd incarnate scrapper to 48 and began fighting level 54s in dark astoria. THAT was a magnificent challenge! I still felt powerful, but the enemies were a definite threat. I could see the option for this providing happiness for both sides, and also making it automatic for level 50 task forces and incarnate trials. Despite liking power, I at the very least can grasp the desire to have the trials be an undertaking.

Sure add the difficulty level I'm fine with that and would still stomp the kaka out of that too, but nerfing IOs and removing attunement?

Come on now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmokinIndo said:

spacer.png

Haha thats your comeback?  Really?

if you are honest with yourself, it can be challenging as is, but it has to fit your cookie cutter wish list and other people be damned.

Take the time to organize your type of fun like the rest of us do, and have done since May.  Ive only missed 1 week of playing roughly since may.  And it still hasnt lost its appeal to me or anyone else I team with.

5 minutes ago, monos1 said:

Oh I completely missed if he said that, that would be a no no.

That's because I didn't say that. I talked about removing attunement, which I think is fair balance. You already lose powers you had past the max level of whatever task force you're on. And this makes sense for balancing purposes. You're playing with level 14s who still have TOs.

Edited by SmokinIndo

3 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Haha thats your comeback?  Really?

if you are honest with yourself, it can be challenging as is, but it has to fit your cookie cutter wish list and other people be damned.

Take the time to organize your type of fun like the rest of us do, and have done since May.  Ive only missed 1 week of playing roughly since may.  And it still hasnt lost its appeal to me or anyone else I team with.

Why don't I just play the game with my arms tied behind my back? I'm sure that will make the game more challenging.

Edited by SmokinIndo
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SmokinIndo said:

That's because I didn't say that. I talked about removing attunement, which I think is fair balance. You already lose powers you had passed the max level of whatever task force you're on. And this makes sense for balancing purposes. You're playing with level 14s who still have TOs.

Removing attunement would be a waste of time.  On live I slotted up all my builds with level 30-35 set IOs anyway.  It makes relatively little difference to the actual enhancement values, because of ED, and you only lose set bonuses for a few extra levels relative to attuned IOs.  The main advantages exemplared characters have come from the higher number of slots and the couple of extra powers that they keep.

Edited by Grouchybeast
Eye canot spel.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

38 minutes ago, Illy said:

Stop making so much sense, it bothers people apparently 😛

The problem is that i'm the bad guy for thinking the game needs some polish, because the current player base likes things the way they are. But that's the keyword... "current". Nobody here is considering all the players who were on here at the start and have since left. The game is massively smaller than it was at launch, where there were multiple instances of city zones throughout the server.

Games that have a challenging curve at endgame have long lifespans. People continue playing the same content on MMOs and ARPG because it gets progressively harder and more difficult each run. There's nothing like that in City of Heroes, and it's killing the game.

My criticism isn't because I hate the game. It's because I like the game and I want to see it flourish.

Edited by SmokinIndo
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, SmokinIndo said:

The problem is that i'm the bad guy for thinking the game needs some polish, because the current player base likes things the way they are. But that's the keyword... "current". Nobody here is considering all the players who were on here at the start and have since left. The game is massively smaller than it was at launch, where there were multiple instances of city zones throughout the server.

Games that have a challenging curve at endgame have long lifespans. People continue playing the same content on MMOs and ARPG because it gets progressively harder and more difficult each run. There's nothing like that in City of Heroes, and it's killing the game.

My criticism isn't because I hate the game. It's because I like the game and I want to see it flourish.

thats not because the game is too easy.

Two facts that are concrete, this game is resurrected, and its not for everyone and isnt likely to have sweeping overhauls - that would be CoH 2

and also the game started over the summer months, when this game was live most of us were in our early to late 20s  some in the 30s.  Do know what has happened to us over 12 years of removal from the game?  Kids - in my case multiple kids, jobs, life.  Secondly do you know what the difference between summer months and the rest of the year is for people like us?  School, family, activities.  And thats one of the main reasons im totally against nerfing X to make y harder because i dont have time to grind honestly.  I like being able to rush and stomp missions - im not talking council radio missions either, but hard content.  Its still challenging and it still takes teamwork.

We are substantially busy during school times vs the summer.   And i know for a fact thats part of the reason for the population decline.

Granted some people will lose interest because it is afterall 12 years removed and there are shiny new cars out, but those arent for me.  This game is my schtick, and i love being over powered.

Im not alone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So far the OP, who has composed himself with reserve and calmness, has been called a lunatic and a troll. 

Tracks perfectly with the general character of this community. Had the same experience months ago. Tow the line, heretic; no discussion allowed!

Edited by Illy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Illy said:

So far the OP, who has composed himself with reserve and calmness, has been called a lunatic and a troll. 

Tracks perfectly with the general character of this community. Had the same experience months ago. Tow the line, heretic; no discussion allowed!

My mistake.

Two lunatic trolls in this thread.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, SmokinIndo said:

Not just SOs. I use normal IOs/incarnate powers to solo missions. It's a reasonable challenge, but my point is that if I can do it solo, then playing with a team is trivial.

So, you're soloing 4/8 Eyeballs of Death?

Here's the thing...I see a LOT of these people complaining about difficulty...but you know what they never do? Challenge themselves. We had someone very much like this in Everlasting help the other day who would go on and on and on about how he was playing 'hardcore' and that AE Babies (well he called the PLoobs....I personally feel AE babies is more well known by the community but hey-ho) were ruining the game for everyone. Basically he was pretty much a snobbish elitist and, I suspect, basically a troll and probably the very same person who made this topic.

These people want the game to be harder but they never go out of their way and actually MAKE the game harder for themselves. Hell this person in Everlasting help was thrown a challenge to successfully complete an Iron man, increasing difficulty (+1/x2 at level 10, +2/x4 at level 20, +3/x6 at level 30 and +4/x8 at level 40) Blaster only, no teaming, solo only (usual rules of no PLing etc.) 1-50 Blaster run.

He refused despite being offered 700 million inf (hey we fire farmers have a lot of inf to throw around) if he could provide proof and updates to show his success. Theses included myself and Green Dwarf, a well known marketeer and farmer on Everlasting. He mentioned how he liked soloing the ITF...congrats the ITF, even at +4/x8 is one of the easiest TFs to solo but when I mentioned soloing the Miss Lib TF, suddenly he wasn't interested. He went on and on about how +4/x8 requires skill in order to get the fastest clear times, like that somehow matters?

You know why? Because these people don't want 'challenging content' what they actually want is 'challenging enough that it I can still beat it but casual players can't'. For example these sorts of players never run the Mythic level raids in WoW, they run Heroic, the next step down in difficulty despite there being one higher because it's just challenging enough but not too difficult for them. Hell a lot of these players don't even run the raids on Heroic, they PuG Normal mode because that's challenging without being too difficult since it's not Looking For Raid casual levels they feel it elevates them above the 'casual peons'.

They don't want challenge, what they WANT is to feel better than other people, so they can be above 'the casuals' because THEY do content that's 'hard'. They never form groups for doing things like the Magisterium trial on 'The Very Hard Way' difficulty, they never form groups at all, they just sit there, in help, complaining that people are having fun and that they're the weirdo for wanting things to be harder despite there being content and challenge run options for them to do so.

Having played Classic wow back when it was new, the raids themselves, compared to even modern LFR difficulty...are actually god awfully easy right up until the very last raid. Naxx requires all sorts of things that were genuinely hard to pull off. AQ40 was a little harder than Molten Core and Blackwing lair but most of it was stacking nature resist or having people ready to pick up the right twin when they  swapped.

Edited by DR_Mechano
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Illy said:

Are you using two accounts to hype man yourself

The funny thing is...if he wants things the 'old school' way COXG, Rebirth and Thunderspy are right over there. You COULD go play on those if they wanted...so why they're here complaining about Homecoming difficulty I'm not sure...That's the joy of having multiple server options, if you don't like how one is run, go to the other one.

By contrast if people want it uber-easy there's the 'we have cake' server which will auto-boost you to 50, unlock all your incarnate slots with enough salvage to very rare all of them and give you more than enough inf to fully IO a build to a ridiculous degree.

Edited by DR_Mechano

3 minutes ago, DR_Mechano said:

Here's the thing...I see a LOT of these people complaining about difficulty...but you know what they never do? Challenge themselves. We had someone very much like this in Everlasting help the other day who would go on and on and on about how he was playing 'hardcore' and that AE Babies (well he called the PLoobs....I personally feel AE babies is more well known by the community but hey-ho) were ruining the game for everyone. Basically he was pretty much a snobbish elitist and, I suspect, basically a troll and probably the very same person who made this topic.

These people want the game to be harder but they never go out of their way and actually MAKE the game harder for themselves. Hell this person in Everlasting help was thrown a challenge to successfully complete an Iron man, increasing difficulty (+1/x2 at level 10, +2/x4 at level 20, +3/x6 at level 30 and +4/x8 at level 40) Blaster only, no teaming, solo only (usual rules of no PLing etc.) 1-50 Blaster run.

He refused despite being offered 700 million inf (hey we fire farmers have a lot of inf to throw around) if he could provide proof and updates to show his success. Theses included myself and Green Dwarf, a well known marketeer and farmer on Everlasting. He mentioned how he liked soloing the ITF...congrats the ITF, even at +4/x8 is one of the easiest TFs to solo but when I mentioned soloing the Miss Lib TF, suddenly he wasn't interested. He went on and on about how +4/x8 requires skill in order to get the fastest clear times, like that somehow matters?

You know why? Because these people don't want 'challenging content' what they actually want is 'challenging enough that it I can still beat it but casual players can't'. For example these sorts of players never run the Mythic level raids in WoW, they run Heroic, the next step down in difficulty despite there being one higher because it's just challenging enough but not too difficult for them. Hell a lot of these players don't even run the raids on Heroic, they PuG Normal mode because that's challenging without being too difficult since it's not Looking For Raid casual levels they feel it elevates them above the 'casual peons'.

They don't want challenge, what they WANT is to feel better than other people, so they can be above 'the casuals' because THEY do content that's 'hard'. They never form groups for doing things like the Magisterium trial on 'The Very Hard Way' difficulty, they never form groups at all, they just sit there, in help, complaining that people are having fun and that they're the weirdo for wanting things to be harder despite there being content and challenge run options for them to do so.

Please read my post earlier in this thread. This is really a non-argument, it kind of feels like you are missing the essence of a game itself. Just because you CAN make things arbitrarily and needlessly difficult for yourself is not in anyway a testament to the difficulty Of The Game. The difficulty of the game is a reference to the progression and experience of the play; is it easy to get rewards, are there obstacles. A Challenge Mode is a completely separate feature meant to cater to individuals who are already powerful or skilled and want to attempt something that would be considered impossible or extremely difficult simply for the fun of doing that In. Of. Its. Self. Rewards ignored. It is additional, and the option is by no means evidence of the overall ardor of the game experience. Please stop suggesting things of this nature.

Suggesting that the OP and his sympathizers are simply hounding for a vainglorious vision of their own superiority as compared to those that don't run difficult content is also just a baseless accusation, and doesnt even make sense. How would the options for harder gameplay affect any dynamic here? It seems it would just be endgame content; those at the endgame are pretty objectively stronger than those that aren't already.

You also just said that these "sort of players" just want to do slightly hard things so they can do what the people beneath them can't, despite the fact changes like the one this thread advocate for would affect all content including that type of upper-mid challenge and make it more difficult too. By your logic, they wouldn't even be able to flaunt anymore. The OP thinks that in this state, the game is less fun because no one really needs (within context of progression and reward) anyone else. He believes that in the instances you do work together, the collaboration of uber gods renders all threats null. You need to see where he is coming from before disparaging, or else compromise never occurs. 

• Like 2