I can play City of Heroes blindfolded. With my forehead.

SmokinIndo

4 hours ago, NNDeepdish said:

I thought that was the entire point of the incarnate system, to be powerful. Otherwise, it's just the equivalent of a lame level cap increase.

Absolutely. It would be nice if eventually we get more content tailored to that level of power, such as iTrials and Dark Astoria, but yes. We are supposed to be able to become super powerful relative to normal content.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ok... prove it. Go solo an iTrial with a emp/nrg defender. Come back with video.

I want to see the OP do a BAF Master of All solo with the other 23 members of the league watching for proof along with video of the event.

Edited by RCU7115
  • Like 1

I think the other major problem is that we're essentially halfway through the Incarnate content. From what we could tell the next set of Incarnate trials, with the Battalion, would have been challenging for fully t4 everything characters since it was basically the case the devs expected you to be at least all rare in every slot once you got to the new set. as Posi said in an AMA, the Battalion were meant to be level 100 whereas even with ALL the incarnate powers (including the ones unlocked by the Battalion iTrials) we'd be level 60 at best.

You can also see this in the ramp up of difficulty from the three early iTrials with BAF, Lambda and Keyes being not too tough with slowly increasing difficulty, Then TPN and Minds of Mayhem is a step up in difficulty from those. The Magisterium trial represents another step up in difficulty (Dilemma Diabolique is the odd duck here since it is easier than Minds of Mayhem IMO). So I imagine that with the next set we'd be seeing additional, more difficult, mechanics.   

21 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

a voluntary harder difficulty is more feasible and reasonable. 

This.

Migrate Ouro flashback debuffs over to player Notoriety settings. So players have access to higher difficulty, without it affecting everyone that is player the game.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

4 minutes ago, DR_Mechano said:

I think the other major problem is that we're essentially halfway through the Incarnate content. From what we could tell the next set of Incarnate trials, with the Battalion, would have been challenging for fully t4 everything characters since it was basically the case the devs expected you to be at least all rare in every slot once you got to the new set. as Posi said in an AMA, the Battalion were meant to be level 100 whereas even with ALL the incarnate powers (including the ones unlocked by the Battalion iTrials) we'd be level 60 at best.

You can also see this in the ramp up of difficulty from the three early iTrials with BAF, Lambda and Keyes being not too tough with slowly increasing difficulty, Then TPN and Minds of Mayhem is a step up in difficulty from those. The Magisterium trial represents another step up in difficulty (Dilemma Diabolique is the odd duck here since it is easier than Minds of Mayhem IMO). So I imagine that with the next set we'd be seeing additional, more difficult, mechanics.   

This content, and perhaps a second incarnate zone with the same idea, is what we need. It’s going to take a while though.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:54 PM, SmokinIndo said:

I already do this. I solo mobs at +2/x8, which gives me at least some semblance of a challenge. At least I can buff my animated stone and have it actually matter.

The problem with playing with SOs is that people actually put time and energy into their builds. Asking them to throw it away is an enormous waste of effort. At least if there was a more challenging difficulty, people's builds and incarnate powers could actually count for something. It'll be hard with incarnates and IOs. Without them, you wouldn't stand a chance.

Not sure what you are saying.  SOs and incarnate builds?  Planned builds and then throwing it away with SO?

Naw, do it the classic way.  SO all the way or use some Hammi-O, can save up the incarnate exp until you feel like turning it into a incarnate, rinse repeat playing different AT/power combos.  Makes the game harder, but you don't need to solo if you got friends running the same way.

Unless the game is completely dumbed down and easy you could go naked while still beating Malta with brawl.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

@SmokinIndo I feel exactly as you do and have even made posts about this very thing. I end up with the exact same stupid confused face as you got. You are like me, you would prefer the game being like it was in it's early stages...it was actually challenging, now...it's honestly played only for nostalgia.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:19 PM, Super Atom said:

I never said coh wasn't easier now than before. I just said it's always been easy. It may not have been easy to you, but there has always been people/groups pushing what others thought impossible.

Yes, groups of people who truly have their crap together and who have been playing together for years, the elitist types who min/max everything to the core. Which was why the typical gamer, even skilled and veteran gamers would have thought it impossible. So his point is still a very valid one, nothing you say here disproves that. This game at one time was a challenge all the way from level 1 to level 50 and I agree with him.

Smaller and smaller teams doing hamidon faster and faster for example. Power creep is a common issue in MMO's and unfortunately coh was shut down before it could address it.

Yes, once players started becoming closer and closer to being fully HO'ed out, it became easier and easier as well as their strategies to defeating Hammi. Strategies started getting better and players started getting used to them. That was more of a learning curb conquered than a power creep.

I don't know if you think the HC team is magical and can just flip switches to increase difficulty or what but asking for an increased difficulty is more challenging than you think unless you literally only want +8. I've got bad news for you though, you'd probably die instantly because of how CoH works. You'd con grey

He's just tossing around some suggestion. Pretty sure if he had not at least included some ideas on how to fix this, instead of people telling him about how bad of an idea his +8 was, they would accuse him of just complaining instead....oh wait, people did accuse him of that.

Here is the problem with the way some of the people here are responding to this thread. Nobody owns this game. Nobody here is right or wrong on how this game should be. However, I am seeing players here act like they are in charge of how this game should be or should not be.

For an example; "Maybe this game isn't for you, I happen to like the game just the way it is. Maybe you should go play some other MMO..."

Replies like this one are just pure garbage replies and hold no water whatsoever. Players who respond in this way seem to forget, when this game came out, it was players who wanted the game to be easier who consistently came to these forums and complained about how hard the game was and how unfair it was. The game kept getting easier as a response to players who complained about it being hard. Well guess what, not everybody wanted the game to be as easy as it turned out to be.

I myself started playing this game because of the way it was when it came out. I recall players constantly coming to these forums complaining about it. Players who want the game to stay easy are being a bit selfish, because you completely ignore and berate anyone who wants the game to have challenge again.

I know soooo many people who miss the game the way it used to be, back when it was an actual challenge. When I tell them to post about it on the boards, they are uninterested in coming to these boards to talk about it, because they know if they do, the forum elites will hammer down on their threads and berate them. That's not a good thing. That is a control method. You don't want it changed, so you control the boards and chase away anyone who does.

Threads like these pop up from time to time and time and again, I see the players who makes these posts get chased off with an influx of forum elites telling the player how wrong he/she is and making snide comments. This doesn't help anyone. The OP made the comment that players appear to be dwindling away and he/she believes it is because the game is just boring easy...and I believe he/she may be on to something here, and if they are on to something, that is not a good thing. Instead of berating and making somebody feel as though their opinions are invalid, perhaps we need to ask ourselves, why are players saying this, even if we do not agree with them? What can be done to help fix this situation? Clearly there are people who loved the game when it was more difficult...well, the game changed for you, why can't it change a little for the people who preferred it difficult?

Remember, it was players who came to these boards and demanded this game change to fit what they wanted that helped get this game to where it is at today. I say this with complete sincerity, congratulations. You helped add option to this game that makes the game fun for (guessing) half the players who play it. Now that the game has options that made it the way you like it, what is so bad for the game to come out with some inventive ways to make it challenging for those who prefer it to be difficult?

Telling somebody to go play with TO's is not gonna cut it either. Telling players to go find other players who are like minded isn't gonna cut it. Allow me to direct you to this thread...

Want to know how many players reached out to me with this idea? Zero. Zero players. I made a real effort to find players who want to play a more challenging game...and got absolutely nothing.

So please, don't ask us to go find players who want to play the game in a more challenging way. The only way we are going to find players like us, is if this game has a means to funnel players like us to an option that promotes this playstyle.

And please, stop telling us to go play another game...that just rubs salt in the wound when this game once WAS the other game that we went to...it was the players who wanted everything easy who ruined that game for us. Now that you have the game just the way you like it, we are asking you to give a little back. To please take a moment and come up with some ideas that allow us old school CoH players who preferred the game challenging to be able to get a piece of that back without it interfering with the game the way you prefer it.

I honestly don't think that's too much to ask for.

I think its true the game could use more challenge.  Ideally something that would force players to THINK.

I'm kinda okay with making all content after say 30 a little bit harder.  Maybe start small give some bosses vengeance ...

And maybe progressively harder as you get towards 50. 

Perhaps you can leave a chunk of it as optional, but I don't think it should be 100% optional. 

I think the ship has sailed on IOs and incarnates already in the game.  

And except for really late released sets, probably sailed on balancing powersets.

If I don't get my way, will I quit? No.  Just my opinion on this topic.

Do I think trolling style thread titles about foreheads and other body parts are helpful?  No.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

Here is the problem with the way some of the people here are responding to this thread. Nobody owns this game. Nobody here is right or wrong on how this game should be. However, I am seeing players here act like they are in charge of how this game should be or should not be.

For an example; "Maybe this game isn't for you, I happen to like the game just the way it is. Maybe you should go play some other MMO..."

Replies like this one are just pure garbage replies and hold no water whatsoever. Players who respond in this way seem to forget, when this game came out, it was players who wanted the game to be easier who consistently came to these forums and complained about how hard the game was and how unfair it was. The game kept getting easier as a response to players who complained about it being hard. Well guess what, not everybody wanted the game to be as easy as it turned out to be.

I myself started playing this game because of the way it was when it came out. I recall players constantly coming to these forums complaining about it. Players who want the game to stay easy are being a bit selfish, because you completely ignore and berate anyone who wants the game to have challenge again.

I know soooo many people who miss the game the way it used to be, back when it was an actual challenge. When I tell them to post about it on the boards, they are uninterested in coming to these boards to talk about it, because they know if they do, the forum elites will hammer down on their threads and berate them. That's not a good thing. That is a control method. You don't want it changed, so you control the boards and chase away anyone who does.

Threads like these pop up from time to time and time and again, I see the players who makes these posts get chased off with an influx of forum elites telling the player how wrong he/she is and making snide comments. This doesn't help anyone. The OP made the comment that players appear to be dwindling away and he/she believes it is because the game is just boring easy...and I believe he/she may be on to something here, and if they are on to something, that is not a good thing. Instead of berating and making somebody feel as though their opinions are invalid, perhaps we need to ask ourselves, why are players saying this, even if we do not agree with them? What can be done to help fix this situation? Clearly there are people who loved the game when it was more difficult...well, the game changed for you, why can't it change a little for the people who preferred it difficult?

Remember, it was players who came to these boards and demanded this game change to fit what they wanted that helped get this game to where it is at today. I say this with complete sincerity, congratulations. You helped add option to this game that makes the game fun for (guessing) half the players who play it. Now that the game has options that made it the way you like it, what is so bad for the game to come out with some inventive ways to make it challenging for those who prefer it to be difficult?

Telling somebody to go play with TO's is not gonna cut it either. Telling players to go find other players who are like minded isn't gonna cut it. Allow me to direct you to this thread...

Want to know how many players reached out to me with this idea? Zero. Zero players. I made a real effort to find players who want to play a more challenging game...and got absolutely nothing.

So please, don't ask us to go find players who want to play the game in a more challenging way. The only way we are going to find players like us, is if this game has a means to funnel players like us to an option that promotes this playstyle.

And please, stop telling us to go play another game...that just rubs salt in the wound when this game once WAS the other game that we went to...it was the players who wanted everything easy who ruined that game for us. Now that you have the game just the way you like it, we are asking you to give a little back. To please take a moment and come up with some ideas that allow us old school CoH players who preferred the game challenging to be able to get a piece of that back without it interfering with the game the way you prefer it.

Just because you want a grind doesn't make you better than me, or amy more old school than me when it comes to this game.

Fact is we have just as much right to not like your opinion as you do ours.  You post them in a public forum with incendiary hyperbole and you get shocked when there is push back?

Come on now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

I'm fine for NREW optional difficulty settings. Full stop.

I'm not fine with re balancing the entire game or even large parts of the game. It's UNREALISTIC. Our dev team isn't paid. And they have better things to address. Folks are allowed to make their suggestion and others are allowed to make counter suggestions. Nobody owns these forums.

Also your post comes off as incendiary. Please dial it back a bit.

Edited by golstat2003

27 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Just because you want a grind doesn't make you better than me, or amy more old school than me when it comes to this game.

Fact is we have just as much right to not like your opinion as you do ours.  You post them in a public forum with incendiary hyperbole and you get shocked when there is push back?

Come on now.

Nobody said anything about being better than you or wanting to change the game on you. The people wanting it easier however got the game changed on us. How is that fair exactly? All we are asking is for an OPTION to funnel players like ourselves into a gameplay that is more difficult and feels more like the game felt upon release. A full game from 1 to 50. The players who feel the way you do got the game completely changed to fit YOUR idea of what you felt the game should be, at the expense of taking away from what players like us was happy with. So let's play nice here and talk to each other with some dignity, shall we?

2 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

I'm fine for optional difficulty. I'm not fine with re balancing the entire game or even large parts of the game. It's UNREALISTIC. Our dev team isn't paid.

Also your post comes off as incendiary. Please dial it back a bit.

Yes, it does come off like that, because I was responding mainly to the people who came off harsher than my post. Don't take it personal. It was not directed at you. Also, we are only asking for options, I don't want to take away from anyone. That's not how to push a game forward...I have been on the receiving end of that, so trust me, I don't want to do that to you either.  🙂

Edited by Solarverse

Just now, Solarverse said:

Nobody said anything about being better than you or wanting to change the game on you. The people wanting it easier however got the game changed on us. How is that fair exactly? All we are asking is for an OPTION to funnel players like ourselves into a gameplay that is more difficult and feels more like the game felt upon release. A full game from 1 to 50. The players who feel the way you do got the game completely changed to fit YOUR idea of what you felt the game should be, at the expense of taking away from what players like us was happy with. So let's play nice here and talk to each other with some dignity, shall we?

Alot of the game on release was straight up broken or buggy. With tanks being able to herd entire maps. Things like Winter Lords existing. And fire kin controllers with multiple pets dominating herding.

I get what you're saying but let's be clear, the game was far from perfect on release.

I think we all agree that OPTIONAL harder difficulty settings can be added for those that want it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Yes, it does come off like that, because I was responding mainly to the people who came off harsher than my post. Don't take it personal. It was not directed at you.  🙂

Honestly the OP was ridiculously worded. He could have made his point in a more civil manner and avoided some of the idiocy that sprang forth from his.

Many folks have asked for harder difficulty in multiple threads (with actual suggestions on how to achieve that mind you and actual logical useful debate) and have done so without the thread diverging into the mess this one was.

And please let's stop with this rose colored glasses view that the game was perfect pre-ed and pre-the purple patch. It wasn't.

Edited by golstat2003

Just now, golstat2003 said:

And please let's stop with this rose colored glasses view that the game was perfect pre-ed and pre-the purple patch. It wasn't.

Rose colored glasses? Come on, man. That's not even what anyone is saying. What I am saying is that IMO the game was better back then. And honestly, I don't see how herding was any different from what we have to day in the AE. So let's not include herding in this because not all Tanks herded. Most tanks just gathered all nearby mobs and let the team do what they did best. It was a lot of fun. Did not have to herd entire maps for the game to be fun. That was a Fire Tank herder thing...most Tanks did not herd everything on the map. I am talking about actual regular gameplay here, not talking about Power Level playing. And yes, to me the game was way better in those days, and that's just my opinion because it fit my playstyle in those days.

4 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Rose colored glasses? Come on, man. That's not even what anyone is saying. What I am saying is that IMO the game was better back then. And honestly, I don't see how herding was any different from what we have to day in the AE. So let's not include herding in this because not all Tanks herded. Most tanks just gathered all nearby mobs and let the team do what they did best. It was a lot of fun. Did not have to herd entire maps for the game to be fun. That was a Fire Tank herder thing...most Tanks did not herd everything on the map. I am talking about actual regular gameplay here, not talking about Power Level playing. And yes, to me the game was way better in those days, and that's just my opinion because it fit my playstyle in those days.

A LOT of tanks herded and it was MUCH worse. There are videos and screenshots on the wayback machine of tanks being able to herd ENTIRE maps into dumpsters, aka what was known as Dumpster Farming. So yeah there was stuff that was straight up broken back then and trivialized the game even more than now.

And a Fire Kin with multiple pets. And six slotting for damage.

I think you need to clarify what stage of the game you thought was better.

Also after getting a character to 50 there was basically crap all to do. If not for IOs and Incarnate content the game would have SHUT DOWN waaaay sooner than it did.

We can agree to disagree.

EDIT: To add there was no power customization, there were no MSR raids, there were waaaay less ATs and sets, there was no city of villians, no goldside, the Prateorian story line was NOT at all fleshed out.

So again, I think you need to clarify what stage of the game you think is better than now.

When I talk of the game being better I'm talking of the FULL game in all aspects, not just difficulty. In fact back then it WASN'T possible to set your own difficulty as granularly as it is now. That setting didn't exist in the early issues of the game.

Once again, I think you need to clarify what stage of the game you think is better than now.

Edited by golstat2003
  • Like 1

Just now, sacredlunatic said:

Rose colored glasses. The game is better now than it ever has been.

IMO it was, in your opinion it wasn't. What, it's not okay for me to feel like the game was better then but it's oklay for you to think it's better now?

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

IMO it was, in your opinion it wasn't. What, it's not okay for me to feel like the game was better then but it's oklay for you to think it's better now?

It's fine for you to feel that way and to express it, although I think it's nuts.

I also think adding higher, and why not lower too, difficulty options is a great idea.  But I think but to suggest that our tiny volunteer dev team try to rebalance existing content, that really is fine for people with SOs, rather than trying to create new more challenging content (eventually, we hope) is a bad use of resources.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sacredlunatic said:

It's fine for you to feel that way and to express it, although I think it's nuts.

I also think adding higher, and why not lower too, difficulty options is a great idea.  But I think but to suggest that our tiny volunteer dev team try to rebalance existing content, that really is fine for people with SOs, rather than trying to create new more challenging content (eventually, we hope) is a bad use of resources.

I think we all agree that optional difficulty is the way to go. Just to say it a gain, a rebalance of the entire game isn't realistic for an upaid volunteer dev team.

• Like 5