Bio Armor on sentinel. Good or bad?

DrBasics

So I know that bio Armor is missing things when used on a sentinel compared to a melee. That being said, I see some people say that is the reason it is trash. Meanwhile, other people are saying it is great, as in the best option for sentinel. I need some clarification, please and thanks.

I'm on the "best Sentinel secondary" camp.

1) Rebuild DNA

With Rebuild DNA, you get the two /nin clicks (end and heal) in just one fast activation power.

Unlike DNA Siphon, you don't need mobs, making for a reliable effect on demand.
Fully slotted, it's a 60% heal and 50% end up every 25-30 seconds.

2) Athletic Regulation

If you enjoy movement, this is the real gem of the set.

While in Offensive Adaptation, Athletic Regulation gives you a massive unsuppressed movement boost. You will run at base Super Speed levels; or fly, in hover, at Fly speed, if taking to the skies is more your thing.
This unparalleled mobility makes Sentinel /bio unique amongst all CoH powersets. Even /kins have to recast IR and Siphon Speed.

3) Genomic Evolution

Extra resistance to all, as a passive? Yes please and thank you. It might not be much, but it fits the overall design better than a damage aura.

Then you've got small changes like Parasitic Leech (instead of aura) being a cone and hitting less targets, and of course Sentinels having lower % on armor values.

Overall, Sentinel /bio is condition agnostic. It boosts your damage and your mobility, and lets you sit at range or jump in melee. When it comes to performance, there's little reason to dislike the secondary in particular (unless one dislikes Sentinels in general).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in a Bio Armor is as good as you built it camp.  I apply that same mantra to any AT that takes it and not just Sentinels.  

Like Nihilii states that what Bio gives up it gains on Sentinels.  It is one of the few options in the AT for an offensive oriented secondary on an offensive oriented archetype.  So if you're looking to maximize damage then Bio Armor is quite good.  If you're looking to soft-cap defenses and hardcap resistances with an easy build then this may not be the set for you.  You can push Bio Armor pretty hard on closing its defensive holes through planning out IOs and again that isn't unique to the Sentinel.  What I feel is unique to the Sentinel is that you do have to get a bit more creative in the approach.  Melee ATs just have straight up more IO options than a pure ranged AT.  

Bio Armor has this reputation of being amazing, and it is well deserved, but people rarely stop and think about what it takes to do it.  Some of that rep started in places like Reddit with predominately folks rolling Tankers who both greatly needed a damage boost and can more easily offset Bio Armors weaknesses.  

Sentinel Bio Armor has a lot going for it if you invest in it just like any other set. 

Edited by oldskool

I've got a low-30's Nrg/Bio and find him quite enjoyable. I prefer hover on my Sentinels, and having just unlocked Athletic Regulation I'm really impressed with how noticeable the speed difference is. As @oldskoolsays, like any other sets you've got to put some thought into building for maximum benefits, but so far on basic IOs I haven't found anything to really complain about.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I have a fire/bio and a beam/bio, both in the late 30's/early 40's.

The movement bonus the set offers is really enjoyable and helps you quickly evade troublesome situations like debuff patches or melee heavy enemies.

Genomic evolution doesn't actually boost range in offensive mode. Seems minor, but bugged powers wear at me.

I like rebuild dna more than dna siphon. It is generally vs 1-3 hard targets that I find I need healing at which point the reliability and non-conditionality of rebuild dna is preferable.

I prefer sentinel /bio over stalker /bio and I think it fits sentinels better than the melee version would despite how strong it is. 

My incarnate water blaster/bio armor sentinel has solo'd every single AV as an AV in the Maria Jenkins, Tina Mac, and Freedom Phalanx TF's including when you had to fight 2 at once like Hopkins and Countess Crey.

It's all how you build it, and then knowing when to use what power to maximize it's potential, or mitigate something that might normally overwhelm it.

Bio Armor is amazing as you have a solid layered defense system, can increase your damage output, oh and your movement speed (my water/bio runs at 92.50 mph with athletic regulation, ninja run, and sprint. That's capped horizontal movement speed with no superspeed/speed boost).

• Like 1

It's good, but the Offense Adaptation is not as good as it says on paper. It can boost as little as 4% and at most 21% averaging 18%. I have tests of it somewhere on these boards. Other than that /Bio is stupidly good when we pair it with a ranged primary as is the case with Sentinels.

11 hours ago, Sovera said:

It's good, but the Offense Adaptation is not as good as it says on paper. It can boost as little as 4% and at most 21% averaging 18%. I have tests of it somewhere on these boards. Other than that /Bio is stupidly good when we pair it with a ranged primary as is the case with Sentinels.

Wow, that drastic of a swinging change? What are the factors? Number of enemies around you (like shield)?

2 hours ago, DrBasics said:

Wow, that drastic of a swinging change? What are the factors? Number of enemies around you (like shield)?

Who knows what the factors are? The dev's decision is my best guess. I just hit resistance agnostic mobs with and without Offense Adaptation and that's what I got.

I think the reason it is so variable is because offensive adaptation adds a bit of a damage enhancement boost, but more of it comes from toxic damage. Toxic is a damage type which is often very resisted. 

I'm going to try out a BR/Bio as my next project to give the set a proper go.  I'll probably strip stuff out of my archer/bio since I just don't have interest in playing it. 

42 minutes ago, drbuzzard said:

I think the reason it is so variable is because offensive adaptation adds a bit of a damage enhancement boost, but more of it comes from toxic damage. Toxic is a damage type which is often very resisted. 

I'm going to try out a BR/Bio as my next project to give the set a proper go.  I'll probably strip stuff out of my archer/bio since I just don't have interest in playing it. 

It isn't the case. I say give it a try. Same mob type. Hit with, hit without, check the % increase. The 4% I got from the nuke and I included the toxic damage tick in the math.

I too have an H2o/Bio sent currently at Lvl 42 and LOVE IT!!! I haven't picked an epic (maybe later dark mastery for tentacles/concept) and so far 3 pool powers my personal preference/concept mostly are flying (hover) and leaping (combat jump) plus mystic flight (concept and biggie for the TP through doors that get blocked lol). The situational clickies are awesome plus at Lvl 42 I have all powers picked for both h2o and bio with 2-3 powers in h2o 6 slotted already. The survivability is crazy were I can take the alpha when I get sentlocked lol. Having sooooo much fun so gonna say good for OP.

• Like 1

Bill3.jpg.f1ff7a242b7765691cf45caa5d829f5a.jpg

My DA page

—“too soon old, and too late smart.”  

So according to another thread about Bio, someone assumed that offensive adaptation increases +dam by around 25% for sentinels.

He said: "It will show you the percentage on your hardened carapace toggle when you have it on and offensive selected."

Any sentinels with Bio can confirm this?

25 minutes ago, DrBasics said:

Any sentinels with Bio can confirm this?

Lvl 50 Fire/Bio Sent.

At login, Offensive was enabled as was Hardened Carapace.

Combat Monitor shows me at 55.50% Damage Bonus.

Turned off Offensive, Damage Bonus now at 30.50%.

Turned on Defensive, Damage Bonus now at 5.5%.

Turned back on Offensive, back up to 55.50%.

So yea, +25% damage bonus.

Turning off HC while leaving OM enabled does drop +dam back to 30.5%.

Edit: Also, 5:45 pylon time.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Lvl 50 Fire/Bio Sent.

Those pylon numbers seem pretty bad. I know Sentinels are mediocre, but the Fire/Bio I'm leveling for once 'felt' decent. I'll have to finish leveling it and T4 it and give it a spin.

23 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Those pylon numbers seem pretty bad. I know Sentinels are mediocre, but the Fire/Bio I'm leveling for once 'felt' decent. I'll have to finish leveling it and T4 it and give it a spin.

It ain't great. Matter of fact, yea, it's pretty awful. However, I never faceplant and the aoe output from fireball, rain and inferno ramp up the kill speed on max diff nicely.

Doesn't help that I have both Sent AT IO full sets in Flares and Fire Blast and a full Devastation set in Blaze. Attack chain is Blaze, Flares, FB, Flares, repeat. No hasten in the build.

I have no doubt I could reslot for better damage, take hasten, drop flares for blazing blast and improve the time considerably. But then I'd be annoyed by blazing blast's repel during normal combat like I was before his last respec.

Edit: Quick side note, if opportunity is up and I fire off flares and queue up fire blast, when both hit, I get both Offensive and Defensive Opportunity. Which amuses me.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

3 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

It ain't great. Matter of fact, yea, it's pretty awful. However, I never faceplant and the aoe output from fireball, rain and inferno ramp up the kill speed on max diff nicely.

Doesn't help that I have both Sent AT IO full sets in Flares and Fire Blast and a full Devastation set in Blaze. Attack chain is Blaze, Flares, FB, Flares, repeat. No hasten in the build.

I have no doubt I could reslot for better damage, take hasten, drop flares for blazing blast and improve the time considerably. But then I'd be annoyed by blazing blast's repel during normal combat like I was before his last respec.

Edit: Quick side note, if opportunity is up and I fire off flares and queue up fire blast, when both hit, I get both Offensive and Defensive Opportunity. Which amuses me.

Yeah, that would explain some of it. Flares and no hasten and etc are going to take things down. BB with Overwhelming in it is bearable but still eh. what's more annoying to me is that despite having KB I can't slot a FF in it.

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Lvl 50 Fire/Bio Sent.

Also note offensive adaptation triggers some toxic damage on each hit in addition to the damage bonus. I don’t have a clear percentage on that extra damage tick. I assume you are level 50 since you did the pylon. Have you seen how much the toxic damage ticks for at level cap?

13 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm not sure that it's KB. It acts like repel. Does the KB->KD from Overwhelming actually turn it into KD?

It's weird. It's a short (0.5s?) repel, followed by a delayed KB. It should be converted to KD by the appropriate IOs, but the initial repel will be unchanged.

49 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm not sure that it's KB. It acts like repel. Does the KB->KD from Overwhelming actually turn it into KD?

It does both. A small repel and a KB. But the KB is exacerbated by the repel which gives the KB more inertia. So the Overwhelming proc turns it into a KD but the repel still pushes the mob away some, just not as exaggeratedly as before.

Considering BB is our strongest skill it's something I live with.