REQUEST: Longbow temp power in P2W vendor

Kartanian

If we can easily do it, could we get the Longbow (bow and arrows) temp power added to the P2W vendor inventory? This is the one you normally get from a Mayhem or Safeguard mission. (I think it is also available from a mission each side, but I on't remember which.)

For my purposes, my Beasts/Time MM is a huntress, but I don't have access to a bow and arrows power or costume piece to represent that with this power set. (Or with any MM powerset, as far as I know. Maybe ninjas?) Having reliable access to a purchasable temp power that's already in game would solve this. I'm guessing that others might be in the same boat with regard to the desire for an archery temp power for minor purposes like this.

Cheers!

~K

• Like 2

@biostem would probably give you hell for this suggestion. I don't think we should go about putting random temporary powers that can be earned in game into p2w. If you need the bow for your character, you should probably just do what's available to get it. That's the reason people go out and do the missions to begin with; I myself am and always have been a temporary power hunter. I've always liked getting these things myself, as they are add ons that supplement where you might be lacking or simply a collection to show off, and that's how it should stay.

I think you would be better off suggesting an epic or ordinary pool powerset that uses bow than trying to suggest partially neutralizing the nature of temporary powers.

Edited by monos1

1 hour ago, Galaxy Brain said:

@monos1, why not compromise and say you can only buy Temp powers you already unlocked with that character?

Bank mission temp powers? That could work. I had a similar suggestion with day jobs (although I'm not sure about the plausibility there).

Edited by monos1

1 hour ago, Galaxy Brain said:

buy Temp powers you already unlocked with that character?

Could work for some. Though this would decrease the values of the number of uses and would likely result in a bit of power creep.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 minutes ago, Bossk_Hogg said:

If anything is powercreeping, it ain't a single bow and arrow attack on a P2W vendor. You guys see lots of people pulling out their pistol, bat, or gabriel hammer past level 15 or so?

It wouldn't be an issue if limited to bank mission temps. Being able to quickly reacquire what you've earned doesn't trouble me even as a hunter. But it definitely wouldn't work for all temps for obvious reasons.

17 minutes ago, monos1 said:

It wouldn't be an issue if limited to bank mission temps. Being able to quickly reacquire what you've earned doesn't trouble me even as a hunter. But it definitely wouldn't work for all temps for obvious reasons.

Maybe not all but really there is no good reason most temp powers found through out the game cant also be bought at P2W. ! we need more INF sinks and this would help that, 2 very few temp powers especially the attack ones are strong enough to be called power creep. The few actual good ones like the emp grenades from striga are so fast and easy to reget while picking up a few merits and witha  build up are basically a robot nuke basically counter the idea they are power creep because then they would obviously remove the ability to re get them or even get them in the first place.

Weapon related powers especially should be sold at P2W for flavor at the very least, ideally witha  few alt skin options for the bows, guns, swrods, and even the baton accolade power should all have p2w temp power options.

I also think making us be able to buy charges for day job accolade powers would be a good inf sink.

Id also suggest new side kick temp powers based on NPCs. like low tier ones could be the shining stars, mid tier could be characters like doc delilah etc. cheap enough to be actively used but pricey enough by being actively used it helps bleed out some inf from the economy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

@monos1, why not compromise and say you can only buy Temp powers you already unlocked with that character?

Im all for this. This is something I was thinking about suggesting to begin with.

id also like the ability to re earn the mayhem completion temp powers (zero-g etc) from the new contact that lets you play the mayhems again. 

i think someone earlier suggested a new weaponry power pool. this could work in there since most power pool attacks aren't very useful. Tree might look something like

Blade (skins include everything from dagger to katana) attack does moderate lethal dot damage 

Gun   (Skins include pistols or hand blasters) attack does moderate smashing/lethal damage knockdown 

Whip (how many whip skins exist?) attack does moderate fire damage that causes a minor fire dot. Knocks down immobilized/held enemies

Ammo (includes 2 handed rifles/bows) attack does moderate smashing/lethal damage in a cone. 60% chance of knockback

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

All these additional cautions and suggestions have merit. From what I know of coding, I made the suggestion that seemed like the least time, effort, and testing required: adding an already existing object to an already existing vendor using an already existing obtain mechanic. 🙂

While I have not found any temp powers to be something worth building into my combat rotations, I can see the point about some of the powers in combination with build ups or something else. Still, it doesn't look like there is much likelihood of power escalation from the thing I was suggesting. Testing and options would be good, and the idea of having "refills" for previously obtained temp powers would be great.

Good suggestions and comments! What else are people thinking about this sort of thing?

9 hours ago, Kartanian said:

While I have not found any temp powers to be something worth building into my combat rotations, I can see the point about some of the powers in combination with build ups or something else. 

I dont think temp powers are affected by damage buffs or debuffs. 

On 2/11/2020 at 5:02 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

upside the bow and arrow from croatoa is one of the easier ones to reget and has a decent amount of charges, so even if you do attack with it now and then its not hard to keep this specific temp power on you.

Ah, this is the one I was thinking of, hero-side. The URL for the Temp Power list is here: https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Temporary_Powers

Does anyone know if this is up to date?

(I would still like to have it available and refillable through the P2W vendor, of course....)

On 2/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, Bossk_Hogg said:

I dont think temp powers are affected by damage buffs or debuffs. 

Most attack temp powers very much are. A build up EMP grenade has always been a good way to wreck robots since Striga was added to the game. Used to always pick up a fresh stack before the old sister psyche to help wreck freaks faster etc. Also super hnady on the robot heavy Hess TF.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kartanian said:

Ah, this is the one I was thinking of, hero-side. The URL for the Temp Power list is here: https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Temporary_Powers

(I would still like to have it available and refillable through the P2W vendor, of course....)

Paragonwiki is pretty accurate on old content. Only HC specific changes wont be there. Such as certain power sets and the sent AT as examples. the temp powers and how to get them should be accurate.

On 2/11/2020 at 4:02 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

upside the bow and arrow from croatoa is one of the easier ones to reget and has a decent amount of charges, so even if you do attack with it now and then its not hard to keep this specific temp power on you.

You get a bow and a lot of arrows-- has anybody tried redoing this one in Oro after using up all the arrows? Some missions give you an echo version of the power (wedding ring?) and if that worked here you could refill your bow periodically if you used it up.

Just now, eknudson said:

You get a bow and a lot of arrows-- has anybody tried redoing this one in Oro after using up all the arrows? Some missions give you an echo version of the power (wedding ring?) and if that worked here you could refill your bow periodically if you used it up.

Oh yes you can reget it, but only after youve used up the current one. its not called an echo even last I recall having it.

2 hours ago, Kartanian said:

This one covers both hero & villain.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Temporary_Powers

Every mission that gives out a temp power should be added to Ouroboros Flashback; this should had been done way back when flashbacks were first added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Most attack temp powers very much are. A build up EMP grenade has always been a good way to wreck robots since Striga was added to the game. Used to always pick up a fresh stack before the old sister psyche to help wreck freaks faster etc. Also super hnady on the robot heavy Hess TF.

Huh, good to know! Thanks!