Primalist

Godravage

2 minutes ago, drbuzzard said:

As it is on Cake Evolution, which is based on i24, no. Considering how much of a mess their new classes are right now, I don't really want any of them. They let stuff out in a rush without even a basic amount of testing it seems. 

You can stop clutching your pearls there Doc, your bias is showing.

OP: It's on Cake and HC appears to have other priorities at the moment. the BEST guess any other player here can give is "I don't know".

you would need someone like Jimmy to reply to find out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sidious said:

You can stop clutching your pearls there Doc, your bias is showing.

Clutching my pearls? Are you daft? I actually like the We Have Cake server, but I happen to be honest enough to call it like I see it. Right now if you like their stuff, you are better off playing their archive than the 'live' evolution server. I quite like their archive server to be honest. 

The new classes were all released far too early as they are clearly works in progress. Many of the new classes and power sets are not even capable of slotting IOs, and many are pretty much broken as is (and I don't mean overpowered, though that's common enough) to where they barely work. It's pretty clear that they wanted to wow people and rush a bunch of stuff out the door but it proved to be half baked. The number of character wipes and other difficulties has made that abundantly clear. 

I would like them to succeed, but I think they have stumbled badly. 

Oh, and given that the Cake classes don't really work, and are based on i24 code, I think my saying 'no' is not a real reach of a guess. 

Edited by drbuzzard
  • Like 7

Here is my best guess.  We will get new stuff on what is very likely already part of a feature progression plan.  One that is predicated on a series of updates, where one must come before another.  They will be tested to the extent that folks participate, and help QC those changes, then implemented.  Any issues that arise, which weren't caught in testing, will be corrected before moving on to the next step in the plan. 

That has been HC's methodology so far, and it has worked pretty well.  Will we get "X" at some point?  Perhaps.  But, it won't be in direct response to what is going on elsewhere.  It will be a combination of what is necessary for the long term viability of the game, and the wishes expressed by the HC community, that they accommodate to the extent possible.  They won't always move as quickly, or in the directions that everyone is 100% satisfied with, but they will move in directions that ensure maximum stability, and balance to the extent possible. 

• Like 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

They had to wipe everyone's toons because of the issues.  I've made four toons since the wipe and eventually you get mapserved and you can't log onto to that toon anymore.  It's not shot at the people over there, but it is a mess right now.  I really hope they can turn it around because there are some neat ideas over there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jshmoe1236123 said:

They had to wipe everyone's toons because of the issues.  I've made four toons since the wipe and eventually you get mapserved and you can't log onto to that toon anymore.  It's not shot at the people over there, but it is a mess right now.  I really hope they can turn it around because there are some neat ideas over there.

correct.

to avoid this you need to check the use free costumes box when making a toon and then after getting to the game create the costume with any bells and whistles you want.

as repayment for wiping toons. Any veteran player may now get up to 5 auto 50's. A new player would only get 1 initial (if you make it a farmer you're set, don't worry).

I'm good with the slower pace of content releases on HC given the volunteer staff and the aging nature of the game. Quality over quantity. I can't comment on other servers because I have not tried them.

• Like 5

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

11 minutes ago, Sidious said:

correct.

to avoid this you need to check the use free costumes box when making a toon and then after getting to the game create the costume with any bells and whistles you want.

as repayment for wiping toons. Any veteran player may now get up to 5 auto 50's. A new player would only get 1 initial (if you make it a farmer you're set, don't worry).

I did exactly that on each of the toons because I was going to worry about the costume later. I would even do random costumes just go get something going.  I've been reading everything on their Discord.  I may try again today, but, either way, the point still stands that it's not in a good place right now. 

Edited by jshmoe1236123

As I said before, just try out their archive server. It's based on i25, and it quite stable with a decent market and other nice things (cheap merit prices and such). Though I doubt you will find any GMs there who can level you up. I expect there's some AE stuff which can do it fast enough though as they seem to be more sensible in realizing that if the 'I Win' button of AE exists, you might as well go in whole hog and actually boost XP in there. 

2 hours ago, Sidious said:

correct.

And this is why I'm good with the slower pace of Homecoming.

I wouldn't even say it's much slower - the focus on stability and back-end stuff has been pretty steady for the number of people involved. New story content, for example, is contingent on having volunteers who can write and code at a level of quality that's expected in the game - the new arcs released were excellent, but that's because they were written by an experienced game writer who volunteered their time.

Also, a lot of the "publicised" things have been single-dev passion projects that aren't really available on any of the large servers at the moment. Several have been released to OuroDev, meaning they can go upstream to Homecoming an the like, but Homecoming isn't really "behind" in any real sense. 

There's a certain amount of reality checking that needs to go on:

• Thunderspy has mostly been balance updates and a rewiggling of how story arcs work so they're accessible at most levels. They do have extra costume pieces unlocked. Their quality standards are pretty high, although I personally think their strategy of only balancing the game around standard enhancements is just causing a different kind of power creep.
  • Rebirth implemented, then had to remove, their new archetype because it caused problems and put a huge strain on the dev(s) working on it. They're still waiting to release a "big" update but want to get everything working seamlessly together before they do. 
  • Cake Evolution is "bleeding edge" in terms of development, but also they have parts of the costume editor that "may compromise shard integrity", to quote their discord directly. Also, last Tuesday they had to delete every character on the server for stability reasons because of a botched update. They have partially ported sentinels over, but released them in incomplete form. I think they also have the extra costume stuff, but I'm not sure. 
  • Homecoming has sentinels, new story arcs and unique IOs as well as a very steady stream of focused, tested balance patches. 

The servers are all in a fairly similar place in terms of new content. Rebirth has slowed down a bit (because they want to be sure different parts work together before releasing, after previous mistakes). Thunderspy has implemented the new costume items and Cake Evolution seems to be in a perpetual alpha state with new things being tried out a lot, but as I said there are currently costume options that might cause a server crash, so it's not going perfectly. 

Homecoming has focused heavily on stability and balance, although it is still the only server to have successfully had new story arcs in-game, as far as I'm aware. 

In the nicest possible way, they're all doing what they can but in different directions. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

8 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

If you want this, go join up on Cake, play it, report back if you want.  There is absolutely no reason you can’t have a presence on as many CoH providers as you want.

But then how are we gonna complain on the forums?

We can't have any logic creep in here now, can we?!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RialVestro said:

I also find it very suspicious that the Sweet Tea launcher would get flagged by Virus Protection. Even though some people have claimed it's safe I don't really trust that. Tequila doesn't register by Virus Protection so I feel much safer trusting that than Sweet Tea. As much as I want to try out all their extra content I don't trust it.

My virus scanner threw a fit about Tequila, so maybe you just have insufficiently paranoid software 😉

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

11 hours ago, RialVestro said:

You say they released it without a basic about of testing? From what I've heard it's only been released on their TEST server so are you saying they need to test the test? Of course they're a little broken and unfinished when it's on a TEST server, they never claimed this was the final release, they're currently in the process of testing and tweaking the power sets... you know... that thing you claim they aren't doing.

Cake Evolution is their live server, not their test server. 

So you know they didn't actually test it, you know the thing you claim they are doing. 

1 hour ago, RialVestro said:

Cake Evolution or We Have Cake as I've also heard it called is just what they're called as a whole. Like this is Homecoming but the servers are the things like Excelsior and all that. Both live and test servers reside under the Homecoming banner.

Every review I've seen on YouTube which is where I first heard about it has said that this is on their Test Server. Cake Evolution is not live or test, it's just the banner that all their servers are under.

Now I mentioned this in my last post and I'll say it again here. I haven't actually gone on there to look at it myself so I admit I could be wrong here. But I've got three different YouTubers with footage showing the game and saying it's a test server and one random person on a forum saying it's a live server with nothing to back up that claim. I could be misinformed, maybe they just assumed it was still in the testing phase because of how buggy it is... that is the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the content seems to be bugged and still needs work before it should go live... but you're the only person I've seen claiming that it already is live.

Your reactions seem a bit over the top for something that everyone else is claiming is only on a test server right now. If it really is live, then I think you'd be more justified in saying that... but I need to see proof of this claim not sarcastic comments. 😛

The bottom line is that characters have had to wiped multiple times on We Have Cake. That's not anyone making that up. Just go on their discord and it becomes obvious to anyone paying attention or you know, reading, that they've had issues. That to me does not sound like they have been doing proper testing when characters are marked as invalid multiple times or can crash areas of the game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RialVestro said:

I never said anyone was making that up. Of course it's obvious that they've had issues. No one is saying they haven't. But you're saying that they aren't testing while everyone else is calling it a TEST server which sounds to me like they ARE testing and you're just treating what is intended to only be a TEST as if it was something more than that.

How are they not testing anything if this is currently only in the testing phase right now? Do you expect them to test the test before releasing the test for testing? lol

They released stuff that was untested. Full stop. As someone who has worked in QA for 10 years it's pretty damn obvious. Characters being made invalid multiple f%#&ing times is the first thing that should have been caught if they are giving adequate time for testing. They aren't.

If I were playing on that server with any regularity I would be annoyed.

Thankfully each server is allowed to run their setup how they want. And again, bottom line, their example of how they are running it, is why MANY folks prefer HC's slow and steady approach.

Edited by golstat2003

On 2/14/2020 at 10:43 PM, RialVestro said:

You say they released it without a basic about of testing? From what I've heard it's only been released on their TEST server so are you saying they need to test the test? Of course they're a little broken and unfinished when it's on a TEST server, they never claimed this was the final release, they're currently in the process of testing and tweaking the power sets... you know... that thing you claim they aren't doing.

That said...

Primalist should be one of the easiest Archetypes to implement on Homecoming because it's something the Developers on Live were already working on before the game shut down. The code already exists they just need to test and release it. The other Archetypes they have on the Cake Server and even our own Sentinel Archetype which didn't exist at all on live and had to be built from the ground up are surely way more complicated to release than this specific Archetype is.

Personally I don't really care that much about the other Archetypes they have on Cake Evolution. They have their own version of Sentinel that I'm assuming they just copied the idea from Homecoming, an Archetype based on the Freakshow which having the Freakshow costume pieces would be kinda cool but I don't see a need for an entire archetype based on them. Patron Master which from what I gather the Primary power sets are based on the Patron Power Pools, Soul, Leviathan, Mace, and Mu, and the secondary power sets are based on all the Ancillary Power Pools which sounds kinda interesting but at the same time also kinda sounds like it was just thrown together. There's also the shield Archetype which is so boring I almost forgot it was even a thing. Shield is a nice power set that already exists in the game. If they wanted to make a more offensive version of Shield I wouldn't object to it but how about just making it a new power set on the existing Archetypes? Why do we even need an entire freaking Archetype just for Shield? What's the point?

The only one I really care about is the Primalist Archetype and being that it's also the only one that is actually based on an official Archetype that was planned but never released I think it's likely that Homecoming will release it at some point based on other content that was in testing but never officially released which they've given us already it kinda fits their current pattern to make this a thing... EVENTUALLY... 

Maybe they'll fix the issue that Cake Evolution is having where half the powers aren't even usable because you can't build up Primal Energy required to activate them. I mean I heard this was still only on their test server but if what you're saying is true and they released this Archetype without fixing that very broken mechanic first it's not even worth playing. Homecoming I think will do a better job of fixing the issues before they decide to release the Archetype...

I agree with Quality over Quantity. Cake Evolution has a lot of extra content that isn't available on Homecoming but that content also seems very broken based on what other people are saying... I haven't tested any of it myself.

I also find it very suspicious that the Sweet Tea launcher would get flagged by Virus Protection. Even though some people have claimed it's safe I don't really trust that. Tequila doesn't register by Virus Protection so I feel much safer trusting that than Sweet Tea. As much as I want to try out all their extra content I don't trust it. I've gotten comfortable with Homecoming. They seem a bit slow but at least I know their stuff works.

I was considering trying out Cake Evolution to test out all this extra content and maybe possibly moving over to their servers... but between the possible virus threat and the glitchy unfinished content I'd really just rather wait for Homecoming to release some version of this that will actually work than to mess around with that crap. That might change in the future if Cake Evolution can fix their stuff but right now I don't see them as being worth it.

I had never heard of this Cake server, but I went and checked it out - mainly because I saw a video of this primalist thing and I was curious. 
I don't know what I was expecting, but it's a different experience there. I won't say good/bad because candidly, I didn't really give them much time. 

The primalist seems interesting, but it's really just some epic/patron powers that you get at an earlier level - but the recharges seem a lot slower than they do when you get them at the normal levels of 35-50. But, again, I didn't really "test" anything. My main reason was I like the way things are on HC. There are still stalkers, Forts, Widows, PBs, WS's that I've yet to play to 50. So, I don't need any new ATs, nor do I need new powersets. 

As for Tequila - my Norton AV would lock Tequila up every time I ran it until I made an exception. 

Account set up on Cake was easy enough. They gave me two accounts, when I only asked for one. But, if I want to go from level 1 to level 15 - I have to ask them through discord. Seems like there would be a better, easier way, but what the heck do I know? 

I just know I like the way HC does things up to this point. I see no compelling reason to play on other servers.