Need a Fix for MM pets blocking other toons from playing

BurningDezire

There have been countless players who have experienced being blocked by MM pets countless times. Caves, Doorways, etc. MM pets block doorways and other player are literally unable to execute their powers on enemies. To put it simply, other players can't play when MM pets block doorways. And that's just with one MM on a team. Add a few more and it's not even worth trying to play. It's very frustrating and needs an immediate solution. Allow toons to "pass-through" MM pets or perhaps some other solution is certainly needed. This should be a high-priority case. Also, what does not make sense is that other issues that doesn't prevent playing of the game have been recently addressed, yet this has been put on the back burner. Why?

Edited by BurningDezire

If there isn't a simple solution for getting friendly Pets to be "passable" . . . I would like to propose a potential alternative solution for the Devs' consideration:

A Temporary purchasable Power and/or Inherent Power which is a targeted summon of an "air bubble" which forces Pets out of the way, and then disappears.

Downside:  Could potentially be used for griefing or have unintended consequences, such as in PvP. 

But if there isn't an easy way to resolve the current issues with players being unable to pass through or push friendly Pets directly, then I think my suggestion is worth a little investigation as a workaround.

This is not a bug, more of a suggestion. One I'm sure many would agree with, but still a suggestion. MM henchmen have been this way, I think, since City of Villains launched 15 years ago. I would love a workaround, but demanding an immediate solution, out of a team of volunteers, for something that apparently is so baked into the core of the game... well, its a bit over-demanding.

• Like 2

Masterminds themselves can move through their pets... I'd just love to see that setting extended to include team- and league-mates. That would solve a lot of the navigation issues. (And I might actually be able to team with my Demons/Time MM again without feeling like I was being a total jackass to seven other people. <_<) 

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I'd also add that it might be useful to allow MM pets to pass through each other.  Might be a pain in the AI, since you'd really want them to pass through only when moving but when standing still they should have collision detection turned, which could be a bugger to program, but I've noticed that a big reason pets are blocking people is because they themselves are stuck on one pet blocking the whole works.

What we need is a total rethinking of what makes a team friendly MM. IMO MM pets should be small creatures, not hulking giants. For example imagine a MM whose pets are all the little wisps like the prestige buff pets. I know thats why the polar lights are among the more popular lore pets simply because they are small, fly, and are helpful without being a hindrance. Dont get me wrong I see the appeal in large pets like the demons, and the robots. But there should be a way to choose between a large pet and a small pet at the very least. For example an option for bots to use drones, for demons to use little imps, etc.

Smaller pets would imo solve a lot of the issue.

So no-one has suggested asking the MM to move their pets hmm? Never asked the MM to be at the rear of the team in a cave? These seem like solutions to your issue. Like seriously did you try communicating to the MM in your team OP, or did you get stuck behind a pet, get mad and come onto the forums to have a gool ole rant.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:10 AM, BurningDezire said:

other player are literally unable to execute their powers on enemies

How are the pets preventing you from using your powers exactly?

On 2/15/2020 at 6:10 AM, BurningDezire said:

Also, what does not make sense is that other issues that doesn't prevent playing of the game have been recently addressed, yet this has been put on the back burner.

What other issues are you talking about here? And it's not on the back burner, it's not on a burner at all afaik.

3 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

So no-one has suggested asking the MM to move their pets hmm? Never asked the MM to be at the rear of the team in a cave? These seem like solutions to your issue. Like seriously did you try communicating to the MM in your team OP, or did you get stuck behind a pet, get mad and come onto the forums to have a gool ole rant.

What other issues are you talking about here? And it's not on the back burner, it's not on a burner at all afaik.

Like seriously, did you ever think that many have asked MMs to move their pets and it hasn't worked? Have you actually read how some players reply to such request? Or did you just decide you wanted to flame someone? The fact that you're asking how pets are preventing players from using their powers tells me you have no idea what I'm talking about and haven't experienced this issue or you're on a "good ole rant" yourself.  Oh it's not on the burner? So you mean this is a new issue? No, it's happened to many players already. I've seen many arguments and teams fall apart because a player asked an MM to kindly move their pets from blocking doorways in missions. I've also seen many players be rude to MMs because of this. It's not realistic to ask the MM player to keep an eye on their pets at all times. Do they play the game and have fun or do they just sit there and watch to make sure one of their pets don't block one of many doors in a mission? Also, if you're going to be rude, don't contribute.

Edited by BurningDezire
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 11:07 PM, Super Homer said:

This is not a bug, more of a suggestion. One I'm sure many would agree with, but still a suggestion. MM henchmen have been this way, I think, since City of Villains launched 15 years ago. I would love a workaround, but demanding an immediate solution, out of a team of volunteers, for something that apparently is so baked into the core of the game... well, its a bit over-demanding.

I would say this is more of a design flaw. I've seen MM pets literally block an entire team from making its way through a door or in cave missions. Considering that, it's fair to introduce a sense of urgency. But hey what do I know, perhaps 15 years isn't that long right? Lets wait another 100 before we even think about introducing a sense of urgency for this flaw.

4 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

"How are the pets preventing you from using your powers exactly?" ---- LOL! Seriously!? 

• Like 1

It probably doesn't even occur to a lot of MM players how much their derpy goons block others--since after all, we walk right through them all the time. If that could be extended to all friendlies, that'd help matters.

The point about giant hulking pets also sometimes being a team problem makes me picture tying pet size to team size. Full eight player team? Your zombies are puking on ankles! Adorable and gross!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

Well, if you use melee powers, and the MM's pets are blocking the way, then you cannot use your powers.  If the MM pets are blocking LoS, then you pretty much can't use any power that requires you target said enemies, either.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 3:39 AM, Fortuneteller said:

So no-one has suggested asking the MM to move their pets hmm? Never asked the MM to be at the rear of the team in a cave? These seem like solutions to your issue.

This is why I've come to enjoy my Demon/Nature MM. With her cone heal, and being able to lay down a healing patch forward, I can hang in the back of the group with my pets following me, ordering them forward where my teammates are having problems. It's only the AoE buffs that make me run up into the group and pull my pets with me. But I suppose that planning ahead isn't necessarily a MM's strong suit, when ordering the pets in is often the first choice.

On 2/18/2020 at 1:10 AM, BurningDezire said:

Also, if you're going to be rude, don't contribute.

Please point to the part where i was rude. I don't believe i was being rude, seems like you're being hypersensitive.

On 2/18/2020 at 1:10 AM, BurningDezire said:

Like seriously, did you ever think that many have asked MMs to move their pets and it hasn't worked?

I was very surprised to see that no-one in this thread suggested asking the MM to move the pets though. And you certainly didn't say in your OP that you attempted to talk to them. So what's the harm in asking?

If you're stuck behind an MM pet and not the Tanker/Broot then idk, chill out for 30 seconds and i'm SURE you wont be stuck for long.

On another note are you a new player? Because i feel like any player from retail back in the day, got over game quirks like this a long time ago. Does not bother me in the slightest if i can't pass by an MM pet. I just chill out for a bit, maybe check my recipes, organise inspirations. Might be some advice for you there. Just chill out, This really is a non-issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fortuneteller said:

I was very surprised to see that no-one in this thread suggested asking the MM to move the pets thoug

Yould should be able to use common sense.  Maybe no one asked, but don't you think at the same time the MM could read the situation?  Close quarters...well I know these dopey goons do block and have erratic AI.

Because i feel like any player from retail back in the day, got over game quirks like this a long time ago

Pretty Sure this thread does not agree with this statement.

This really is a non-issue.

See above.  Don't hate the MM or the player, it is just the damn pets.  Use common sense, open maps no problem...caves not so much.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

39 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

Yould should be able to use common sense.

I guess i could say the same about this entire thread then and to use common sense and stay ahead of the MM if there's some kind of perceived issue for folks.That would solve any issue folks have.

Heck i could suggest even more things to fix OP's issue. Like teleport, just teleport past the pets. But i think that would probably be shot down with cry's of 'but i don't wanna take teleport.'

This is a non-issue. The tools are available for you to be wherever you need to be in a combat situation. Make use of them.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:39 AM, Fortuneteller said:

Never asked the MM to be at the rear of the team in a cave?

I have a bind to move my pets and am very conscious of trying not to block other teammates but even if you don’t block a doorway I feel many melee teammates get annoyed when melee pets (beast MM) block them from a target. I don’t think an MM should have to choose between holding their pets back and contributing to group DPS.  I find myself having to make this decision frequently. When you have two or more MMs this issue is even more pronounced.

I don’t know how hard the code change would be to have group members be treated the same way as the pet owner. Maybe have some hidden AOE buff added to pets, like Leadership/Assault, that phases friendly targets when they are in close proximity. 

This is a suggestion forum and a think its a good one to consider but I’m sure the volunteers have many items that they have to prioritize.  

13 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

If you're stuck behind an MM pet and not the Tanker/Broot then idk, chill out for 30 seconds and i'm SURE you wont be stuck for long.

Again I think asking someone to not contribute is not a good answer. When you are in a fight do you know how long 30 seconds feels like. I know when my power takes only 8 seconds to refresh feels more like 30 seconds. 

13 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

On another note are you a new player? Because i feel like any player from retail back in the day, got over game quirks like this a long time ago.

I played during live and it was an irritant back then. 

11 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

This is a non-issue. The tools are available for you to be wherever you need to be in a combat situation. Make use of them.

What tools are you referring to?

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 12:59 AM, Fortuneteller said:

I guess i could say the same about this entire thread then and to use common sense and stay ahead of the MM if there's some kind of perceived issue for folks.That would solve any issue folks have.

Heck i could suggest even more things to fix OP's issue. Like teleport, just teleport past the pets. But i think that would probably be shot down with cry's of 'but i don't wanna take teleport.'

bet your a mm