Name squatting

chuckv3

18 hours ago, Ukase said:

I transferred a tank of mine to Everlasting for a hami raid...and a few days later tried to transfer it back - and someone took my name! 

I have to admit, this is part of why I don't server transfer, and if I ever did, I'd view all such transfers are probably One Way.

But I'm less gregarious in the game than some. I don't have a huge friends list even on Excelsior, never mind branching out to other servers. 

9 hours ago, summers said:

I would very much like to see the names that are on 'abandoned' characters be freed up. It seems silly that an account that hasn't logged in for months, squatting on names with characters all under level 10, can hold up fun, iconic names that could be better used and more loved by others.

How do you know the name is held by someone under level 10?  Maybe the name IS held by a lvl 50.  Doesn't necessarily mean they're still active true.... or maybe they are active but they're on vacation this month.  There's really no way to know. 

As far as the naming policy itself....

What is this name release policy I've heard about? Is it in effect yet?

The name release policy is not in effect yet. Here's how it'll work once it is enabled:

pulled from:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/9526-frequently-asked-questions/

"Not in effect" doesn't say to me "hasn't been written yet".   What I get from reading this, although I could be mistaken, is that the naming policy is in the code, but is not active. That is, they have an On/Off switch that is currently set to Off.  I don't really *know* that to be true, but it's how I read the admittedly very very little information that has been posted about it.

tl;d realize - first come, first serve.  Doubtful you would like losing your seat at the movies if someone forced you to move.  Someone decides to take your car, are you squatting on it while it sits in your driveway?  You are not using it.....confusing definition but only saying, if its not being used doesn't mean someone can take it.

Does it suck?  Sure.  Doesn't mean you are entitled to that specific name.  There are a ton of resources available to generate a name to your liking.  Everyone just seems to desire another personals name when in fact they can make up something of their own.

• -Thesaurus
  • -Different language
  • -Punctuation mark
  • -Obscurification with alternate letters like capital i or lowercase L
  • -Name the character as a relative of the one you had on Live

To clear it up, Humans are not as clever as everyone thinks; when a person thinks they did it first when in fact there is a good chance that someone else did it already.  Chopsticks/Fork are no different than a Chimp with a stick they jammed in an ant hill. So many original ideas are just the same thought made by someone else.

I am neither against or for it, people just have to get over the fact someone else has a name until a forced change is implemented.  Calling it squatting is stupid, someone claimed it first regardless if they play it or not.  No need to get angry and annoyed about it, I have gotten 50 different names in reserve at the moment of which 40 are not part of my stable of characters from Live on Triumph (Go Triumphs!).  I am happy I managed to get a new list of original names I never used before, annoyed that I couldn't get my main from Live but I would not want to take it from someone that has it first 

Get creative people!  Find a name already open and enjoy the fact that it is original, then play it to 50.  Problem solved.

Spoiler

btw - 3.5 hours being lazy to get to 50 in AE.  Just saying....

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

14 hours ago, EmmySky said:

When I hit upon a name I want but its taken, I add Sky to the end and make them alternate versions of EmmySky (SunshineSky, PrestigeSky, SpitfireSky).  This serves to confuse people when I am on a toon that has no Sky (Saga of Souls, TankYou, Sinnocence).

TankYou is such a badass name. And I sometimes do something similar, except I add Munki to the start of the name.

12 hours ago, Ukase said:

Why would you say that? I wouldn't think many have me on ignore, as I rarely team up to offend someone. It's possible, but not "very" possible and highly unlikely as I'm unfamiliar with the global name. If I have a negative interaction with someone, I make a note of their global. 

If it's something they just didn't feel like dealing with, just putting someone on ignore is an effective way to accomplish that. Not the most polite, but it works.

12 hours ago, Replacement said:

I say it in every such thread: I want that name releaser mechanism to actually get implemented. HC's rules aren't even hard. I'm sure I'll regret being this blunt post-coffee, but if you've actually read the proposed name release policy and still think it's unreasonable, you're either:

A) a reactionary who still hasn't let the details sink in or

B) an ass.

I too would like this policy implemented. It's a reasonable and fair one.

• City Council
13 hours ago, MTeague said:

"Not in effect" doesn't say to me "hasn't been written yet".   What I get from reading this, although I could be mistaken, is that the naming policy is in the code, but is not active. That is, they have an On/Off switch that is currently set to Off.  I don't really *know* that to be true, but it's how I read the admittedly very very little information that has been posted about it.

It is actually the "hasn't been written yet" option 🙂

Meaning: If we had it already, it would be active. It's just not a huge priority right now as the server is still fairly young. It will happen eventually though!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

It is actually the "hasn't been written yet" option 🙂

Meaning: If we had it already, it would be active. It's just not a huge priority right now as the server is still fairly young. It will happen eventually though!

I am ...well, sad that it's not in effect, but glad to know that it's not in effect and doesn't work. Thanks for clearing it up in my mind. 

Just so you know, the Name Release Policy on Legacy wasn't something that was "in effect" either, it was something that they had to actually run and during the entire life of the game they only ran it twice. The results, as reported by one of the devs during a HeroCon, was that of all the names released only a small percentage were ever actually reused. This was with considerably more people playing the game than we have now on Homecoming.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

19 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

To clear it up, Humans are not as clever as everyone thinks; when a person thinks they did it first when in fact there is a good chance that someone else did it already

My main WoW character's name, "Eilyssana", appeared to be unique for quite a while. It was one that looked like a genuine name that a human female might actually have, not copied from any other source, was not a pop culture reference, not a "joke/pun" name, did not include elements of my character's class/spec name or abilities, did not look more suited to a professional wrestler than to a medieval adventurer. For the first several years I played WoW, I occasionally searched the name, across all North American servers, curious to see if anybody else had come up with the same name by chance. Every time, my character was the only one with that name (at least above level 10 - characters under 10 did not show up in searches). This remained the case until I happened to mention the fact in a public WoW forum. After that, a few other characters with the name started showing up in searches, though later searches indicated that none of them were ever played past the mid-20s level range, and I don't think I ever found more than 4-5 other people using the name.

The game was already four years old when I rolled that character, so I feel safe in saying I was the first to come up with it, with the caveat that if somebody else did it first, they either deleted the character or never leveled it past 10.

Edited by RikOz
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Just so you know, the Name Release Policy on Legacy wasn't something that was "in effect" either, it was something that they had to actually run and during the entire life of the game they only ran it twice. The results, as reported by one of the devs during a HeroCon, was that of all the names released only a small percentage were ever actually reused. This was with considerably more people playing the game than we have now on Homecoming.

Albeit with many fewer characters slots per account.

22 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Albeit with many fewer characters slots per account.

I find it unlikely that people are rolling up hundreds of characters just to name camp. Even with the difference in character slots, Legacy had a lot more people and accounts. Only the Homecoming devs would know by polling accounts to determine how many Level 1, unplayed characters are floating around and have to agree with Jimmy's comment above that it's not a huge priority right now.

Not that their policy would impact me at all, I have roughly 30 characters across all the servers, with only a couple at L1, and only a handful below L10. Some of my friend probably have 100+ characters on even fewer of the servers (they have a major altiholism issue 😁) yet they manage to grab names for their characters without issue. <shrug>

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I find it unlikely that people are rolling up hundreds of characters just to name camp. Even with the difference in character slots, Legacy had a lot more people and accounts

I agree, it just mitigates some of the difference in size.