Anyone else remember blappers?

Acheron

Blaster players are more intelligent than your average scrapper/brute/tank players simply on account of them having to be aware of the multitude of hazards that those ATs shrug off.

No I don't want to be a scrapper, I've surpassed those scrubs.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Just now, Nemu said:

Blaster players are more intelligent than your average scrapper/brute/tank players simply on account of them having to be aware of the multitude of hazards that those ATs shrug off.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well, you do you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nemu said:

Not really. Not having to worry about endurance makes up for most of it. And for end game builds, a Blaster is every bit as easy to play as any other AT. It takes no additional skill to play a Blaster at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Nemu said:

This isn't true, everyone wants to be a Scrapper. Even Blappers like you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not touching... whatever's going on here. 

But I find it odd to see "blapping" associated with Defiance 1.0.  I'm of a mindset that blapping (scrapping on your blaster) really only rose above joke level once Defiance 2.0 came along. Especially when suddenly you could respond to Disorients by locking down a Warrior charging you with your ST Immobilize (yeah!  ignoring mez was part of 2.0!).  I'm sure I'm suffering from some selective memory, here, but I don't think I'd ever enjoy blapping under 1.0 (indeed, I'd just abuse it for snipes).

EDIT: Also, I intentionally declare some of my Blasters as Blasters to myself.  Basically, a soft promise to myself that I'll do my level-best to not blap.  It's a hard promise to keep.

Context: someone who only became interested in Controllers once they read about Fighting pool Containment Controllers.

Edited by Replacement
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Replacement said:

I'm not touching... whatever's going on here. 

What's going on here is denial with a capital D. So Denial. Denial of the one AT to rule them all.

This is where I should put a clever rewrite of the one ring poem, but it's just not happening for me. So clearly my Scrapperlock needs work. A real Scrapper never has performance issues.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

End game sure but I cut my teeth on how to play a blaster the way I do during the leveling process when I had no access to IOs. End game builds make it easier, but there is a demonstrable difficulty spike in playing a blaster effectively vs playing a melee AT effectively during the leveling process. Those techniques I mentioned helped dramatically in leveling Jezebel with minimum debt as my first toon on HC.

Anyway it's not an argument and I don't want to turn this fun thread into one. I am very proud of my blaster, and I'm happy to see other blasters embracing melee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

2 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

So clearly my Scrapperlock needs work. A real Scrapper never has performance issues.  

There is a pill for that. 

Oh you were talking about something different, never mind. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"- Chesty Puller US Marine Corps

Playing a melee Blaster does take more skill, but it doesn't require a high IQ. 

If you want to practice jousting skills, try a small team BAF. You haven't really jousted until you face an aggro cap of Victoria bosses that will instantly kill you if you land in melee range. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, subbacultchas said:

The turn this thread took is just amazing lol. I was two seconds away from expecting someone to post online IQ test results.

We actually had someone apply here once that added a screencap of such to their resume. Guess who didn't get a callback?

"I am not crazy, my Mom had me tested!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

But I find it odd to see "blapping" associated with Defiance 1.0.  I'm of a mindset that blapping (scrapping on your blaster) really only rose above joke level once Defiance 2.0 came along. Especially when suddenly you could respond to Disorients by locking down a Warrior charging you with your ST Immobilize (yeah!  ignoring mez was part of 2.0!).  I'm sure I'm suffering from some selective memory, here, but I don't think I'd ever enjoy blapping under 1.0 (indeed, I'd just abuse it for snipes).

Blapping really became popular in the PvP community as soon as PvP existed in the game, so quite a bit before definace 1.0. It spilled out into PvE after it became all.the rage in PvP.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Broken_Prey said:

There is a pill for that. 

Oh you were talking about something different, never mind. 

We ARE talking about small, medium, or large reds, right? I mean, all other pills get converted to those, don't they 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1