Anyone else remember blappers?

Acheron

Way back in the before times, blasters had a ability called defiance that made them do more damage as they lost health. I don't remember the numbers exactly but on your last bit of flashy red health you'd be doing like 5x or 10x damage. Me and some buddies used to make melee blasters using the energy manipulation secondary because it had a bunch of melee powers plus build up. Then you'd get every defense and melee power you could from pools.

I remember wrecking mobs that way...

Anywho, anyone remember that? Could that be a good mechanic for a new class? Like a true glass cannon class, no armor or defense, just a hella damage multiplier and only melee and ranged damage sets for primary and secondary?

Just a thought

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

The only way I play a Blaster is as a Blapper, IMO, there is no other way, unless you are all Arrow or something....

Sure. I mean, the thing about ranged attacks is they still work in melee. With the exception of maybe cones, which work but with different considerations for arc and range.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

The only way I play a Blaster is as a Blapper, IMO, there is no other way, unless you are all Arrow or something....

I have my Blasters...and I have my Blappers. I'm like you, I still build them. I unleash my AoEs and then jump in there and start melee slapping this hell out of them. Elec is also a good secondary for Blapping for anyone who wants to give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Acheron said:

Anywho, anyone remember that? Could that be a good mechanic for a new class? Like a true glass cannon class, no armor or defense, just a hella damage multiplier and only melee and ranged damage sets for primary and secondary?

The original devs were kicking around the idea for a Striker AT that likely would have worked this way.

• Thanks 1

Everlasting: Charredcore-Head.gif.295932ce0b7f285ede7cd6f7baa92107.gif Charredcore (Sonic/Fire Blaster) Fleabitten-Head.gif.b2329ba8bd4533efc403330511a55b3e.gifFleabitten (Savage/SR Brute)  And many, many more!

The amount of /dev and /ta blasters out there is TOO DAMN HIGH. Blappers unite and represent!

Edited by Nemu
  • Thanks 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

My electric/electric blaster is a blapper.  Most of the key powers are PBAoE.  I stealth into mobs and incapacitate them first and hope nothing misses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I play my brute like an old blapper, but more punchy.

• Thanks 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

My Fire/EM Blaster is why they introduced Defiance in the first place.  That poor guy has the record for the most faceplants after, "Hey guys, watch this..."

It's also why they created more than one debt badge.  One just wasn't enough. 

Edited by Fan Mail
  • Thanks 1

Blaster, in my opinion, have always been mislabelled.  They were built from the ground up with a focus on Blapping.  Please look at the PBAoE powers, the melee attacks, etc.  It takes effort to find and build powersets that are synergistic for a ranged “Blaster”. It is falling off a log easy to pick any sets and scrape together a Blapper that works decent using any powersets

Edited by Snarky
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Acheron said:

Way back in the before times, blasters had a ability called defiance that made them do more damage as they lost health. I don't remember the numbers exactly but on your last bit of flashy red health you'd be doing like 5x or 10x damage. Me and some buddies used to make melee blasters using the energy manipulation secondary because it had a bunch of melee powers plus build up. Then you'd get every defense and melee power you could from pools.

I remember wrecking mobs that way...

Just a thought

From your description, I'd think the "glass cannon" class would be constantly frustrated by healers, who unwittingly negate the significant damage multiplier in their quest to keep the team at 100%.  Those using AOE heals would especially be troublesome, since targeted healing wouldn't be an option.

As to the melee/range description of "blapper",  I'm loving my energy/energy.  Why just last night I throat punched a Crey tank at the peak of his leap to smash me.  So satisfying to see him go horizontal.  One could almost hear metal and cartilage shatter.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Blaster, in my opinion, have always been mislabelled.  They were built from the ground up with a focus on Blapping.  Please look at the PBAoE powers, the melee attacks, etc.  It takes effort to find and build powersets that are synergistic for a ranged “Blaster”. It is falling off a log easy to pick any sets and scrape together a Blapper that works decent using any powersets

I suppose it's a matter of how you look at things and what criteria you are using.  A blaster's entire primary is basically ranged attacks, and several secondaries have no or few significant melee attacks.  I'm not discounting the playstyle, but I just view "blapping" as an optional/alternative way to play the AT...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Snarky said:

It takes effort to find and build powersets that are synergistic for a ranged “Blaster”.

You don't need any synergy for a ranged blaster - all the tools you could ever want are right there in your primary powerset.

• Thanks 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

From your description, I'd think the "glass cannon" class would be constantly frustrated by healers, who unwittingly negate the significant damage multiplier in their quest to keep the team at 100%.  Those using AOE heals would especially be troublesome, since targeted healing wouldn't be an option.

What's being described is often called "Defiance 1.0." And I recall one of the devs actually saying "Tell them not to heal you."

There was a *lot* of facepalming going on. Yes, people took advantage of it (I remember taking my Elec in old-Faultline and falling off a skyscraper to try it out) but... yeah... (I seem to recall it being mentioned as a high risk high reward thing in PVP, too.)

It's ... not a mechanic I'd want to come back, personally, even if it *was* amusing for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.