Lock trays in place. Please.

Heraclea

You can lock powers in place in Options.  All this does is to prevent individual powers from being moved around inside their trays.    This is not a major problem.  I often move powers around in trays, especially when exemping down. 

Could it be possible PLEASE to lock the trays in place, so that the bottom tray is always tray 1. the second 2. the top 3?  For me these seem to change up randomly a lot more often than having a power being inadvertently moved from one place to another.  It causes all sorts of mischief, especially when a copy of tray 3 ends up where tray 1 belongs and you find yourself randomly turning toggles off rather than firing attacks. 

• Like 3
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

How would this affect bind tray swap using Kheldians?

My WS hits form, and bottom tray swaps to the proper tray, so I can use the bottom tray as my 1-10 keys.

I've never had an instance where the trays are out of order. Bottom is 1, or I can change it with the arrow/key, next is 2 etc..

I'm not quite clear on what you're thinking? Help me a bit.

10 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

How would this affect bind tray swap using Kheldians?

My WS hits form, and bottom tray swaps to the proper tray, so I can use the bottom tray as my 1-10 keys.

I've never had an instance where the trays are out of order. Bottom is 1, or I can change it with the arrow/key, next is 2 etc..

I'm not quite clear on what you're thinking? Help me a bit.

I would hope that any fix is an optional thing like locking the buttons in place in their tray. which can be toggled on or off by the player. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

OMG I can't believe I didn't already request this myself, this always annoyed me SO MUCH during Live, and a fair amount on HC too.  

The problem happens if you mouseclick your powers. It's really not a big deal if you keybind everything. But a lot of us old farts are more limited in our keybinding. If you misclick the leftmost power in a tray...or even if it's just LAG, and the game doesn't register your mouse where you think your mouse was when it decides to process the click, you can end up making unintentional clicks to the itty bitty arrows to move up a tray or down a tray.  This can paralyze you for a few seconds if you're a clicker as you try to click the other way and get your trays back to what they were supposed to be before you can then click the power you had been TRYING to click on in the first place. 

Now, should people just keybind everything under the sun?  Perhaps. 

But I would hope that just a "Lock in Place" YN option in Menu - Options - General right next to the lock powers in tray, would be a very very small lift in terms of code.

I know, I know, spaghetti code can show up in the darndest places, and it could turn out to be that this would require completely re-engineering the power tray structure to be able to do this.  Stranger things have happened.  But I think that's all it needs.  I don't need tray one to ALWAYS be tray one, I don't need tray two to ALWAYS be tray two.  Just something to ignore clicks to this itty bitty arrows that change which tray you're looking at that surround the tray number itself.

Yes please, it has to do with the hotkey for toggling power tray number left and right I believe it's - and = and theres a secondary hotkey as well I forget. in the mean time while this request is being processed, (speaking to myself as well as it's something I need to do too), go into the options windows and unset ("not set" the hotkeys for power tray number changing (I forget what it's called) and also do the same for it's alternate hotkey) that should solve the majority of these issues for the time being.

but yeah we really need this.

Honestly, if I could just click the number of a power tray to just lock the tray position, tray number, and power placement where they were until I clicked the tray number again, that would be fantastic.

I mean, if we want to get fancy, you know how there's that one "lock" outfit pattern in the costume editor?  You could just put that symbol behind the number to show it's locked.

• Like 1

I too would love a quick way to both lock the position of the power trays as well as another to lock the powers in the trays.  I have a setup that means I almost never now move the trays, so I don't want to drag them, but I often swap which tray I show and even reposition powers in a tray and between trays, looking to improve that or substitute alternates.

I display 6 trays in the lower left of my display, 3 addons on the bottom stacked on top of each other, with the default 3 trays above them.  It's compact and it works.

4nEqOz4.jpg

Trays 1 through 3 are the powers I use via 1 through 0, Alt-1 through Alt-0, and Ctrl-1 through Ctrl-0.  Tray 6 and the start of Tray 8 mostly have whatever running toggle powers I have.  Start of Tray 4 has click location powers I normally activate through keybinds to see their recharge status.  For the hidden ones, Tray 9 contains my tab targetting macros, active ones in slots 0 and 9,  Trays 5 and 7 contain extra powers I may swap in, as well as what I use with Kheldian form change macros to swap the main tray, currently show #1 here (Kheldian form change macros normally sit in Tray 2).

(As well, I keybind ("powexectray") Tray 3 slots 9 and 0 to fire off my cloaking and shield toggle turnon macros as well as Tray 6 slots 8, 9, and 0 to fire off travel and other powers.)

Edited by Jacke

16 hours ago, Jacke said:

I too would love a quick way to both lock the position of the power trays as well as another to lock the powers in the trays.  I have a setup that means I almost never now move the trays, so I don't want to drag them, but I often swap which tray I show and even reposition powers in a tray and between trays, looking to improve that or substitute alternates.

I display 6 trays in the lower left of my display, 3 addons on the bottom stacked on top of each other, with the default 3 trays above them.  It's compact and it works.

4nEqOz4.jpg

Trays 1 through 3 are the powers I use via 1 through 0, Alt-1 through Alt-0, and Ctrl-1 through Ctrl-0.  Tray 6 and the start of Tray 8 mostly have whatever running toggle powers I have.  Start of Tray 4 has click location powers I normally activate through keybinds to see their recharge status.  For the hidden ones, Tray 9 contains my tab targetting macros, active ones in slots 0 and 9,  Trays 5 and 7 contain extra powers I may swap in, as well as what I use with Kheldian form change macros to swap the main tray, currently show #1 here (Kheldian form change macros normally sit in Tray 2).

(As well, I keybind ("powexectray") Tray 3 slots 9 and 0 to fire off my cloaking and shield toggle turnon macros as well as Tray 6 slots 8, 9, and 0 to fire off travel and other powers.)

I'm... Flabbergasted...

That's just, no offense, dumbfounding. I have 2 trays on most, and 3 on some. And I never fill those with every power available to me on ajny alt from any AT. That's just incredible. Then again , I have three buttons on the side of my mouse under my thumb for cj, SJ and own other power of choice. I was momentarily stunned, mag 4, by your screenie.

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2020 at 3:02 AM, Jacke said:

4nEqOz4.jpg

I have never needed more than 3 rows. I am amazed you can even play the game with that much of your screen cluttered up like that.

I'll add my perspective.

I generally use the mouse to select powers other than my primary attack chain. I occasionally find myself dragging powers unexpectedly or 'upvoting' a tray because I hit the selector arrow. I avoid 'locking the trays' for the following reasons:

• I intentionally 'upvote/downvote' trays because I keep specific powers in certain trays, These are powers that I only seldomly use such as Rest, or Summons (portable workbench, temporary Pets).
  • I intentionally drag certain powers depending on circumstances. The most-dragged power in my builds is P2W Envenomed Daggers. There are a few classes of enemies who need that power spammed in order to counter their +Regen, and I want that power as part of my attack chain in those limited circumstances. Other P2W powers that fall  into a 'backup' tray include the Prestige attacks (useful at low levels or during extreme -Recharge circumstances, but otherwise unloved for builds which don't need them)
  • I play Kheldians, and I explicitly rely on tray swapping macros for multi-form builds.

My default setup is to have four trays. The first three are generally:

• Row 3: Defenses / Resists / Travel
  • Row 2: Controls / Specials / (Sprint/Ninja Run)
  • Row 1: Attacks (and Incarnate clicks)

One extra tray is used for the quicky travel options (Teleport to mission, Assemble the Team, Ouro, Base Jumping), Reveal, and P2W Self/Ally buffs.

Masterminds use the 4th visible tray for the pet command macros, and have another dedicated 'standby' tray for click versions of the summons and buffs (when I forget the binds).

On 3/24/2020 at 2:02 AM, Jacke said:

4nEqOz4.jpg

My OCD is firing off big time. How did we manage to get hold of the source code and not immediately make added trays exactly the same size as the others? Why wasn't this bug fix #1? I can't... I can't even...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

16 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

I'm... Flabbergasted...   ....   I was momentarily stunned, mag 4, by your screenie.

5 hours ago, WillowManson said:

I have never needed more than 3 rows. I am amazed you can even play the game with that much of your screen cluttered up like that.

Let me show you the whole screen.

Ia1NkDO.jpg

The stack of 6 power trays is put together to cut down on the screen space it takes up, as well as have them all close together.  I primarily activate trays 1 through 3 by keyboard, with the focus on the leftmost half of them.  The other powers are there so I can see their running and recharge status at a glance, click them when needs be, and swap powers around when I exemplar or tinker with the arrangement.

I can close down the map and the extra chat windows 1 and 2 for more screen space.  My cloak ("+Clk") and shield ("+Sh") turnon macros are customized for each toon but are always keybound to 'S' ( powexecslot 9 3 ) and 'F' ( powexecslot 10 3 ), right beside my rebound movement keys WERD for quick turn-on after rezzing.  Tray 6 slots 8, 9, and 0 contain travel and other special powers, with those 3 spots being keybound with powexecslot to H, J, and K respectively.

3 hours ago, Lines said:

I know you've explained it but this makes no sense to me. It bothers me immensely.

It's a UI I developed over 7 years of playing City of Heroes on Live, reinstated and revised since Homecoming started up last year.   Keybinds, popmenus, the screen layout,  and macros all interconnected.  Most is common between all my toons, set up right after creation with cut-and-pasted commands out of a settings info file  (example "/bindloadfile c:keybinds_base.werd.txt"), as well as loading my versions of the standard options (opt.txt), window layout (wdw.txt) and chat configuration (chat.txt) via the Options window.  Only what powers are in what power tray slots and the contents of some of the macros change between my different toons.

3 hours ago, tidge said:

I'll add my perspective.

Interesting system.  It works for you.  Kind of do some of the same thing, shift things around due to changing priority.  Example, I normally fire off the added teleport powers like ATT etc by one of my popmenus, but to see their recharge status, I put Mission Transport, TT, and ATT in tray 4 at the bottom.  Now they're there, I often don't use the popmenu but just click on them.

2 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

My OCD is firing off big time. How did we manage to get hold of the source code and not immediately make added trays exactly the same size as the others? Why wasn't this bug fix #1? I can't... I can't even...

For some reason, the addon trays have wider tray selectors (" < 1 > "), making them slightly wider than the main stack of 3.  No idea why they didn't make them the same width.  Unless no one ever though of stacking them like I did.

Edited by Jacke