Do You Make the Same Character Over Again?

Herotu

I took Jezebel to 50 on Torch, then Excel, and more recently Everlasting through normal play/teaming, no PL. Same build, same costume. The goal is to take her to 50 this way on each shard and show the masses how badass melee blasters can be and encourage aspiring blasters to ditch hover/bonfire and learn the tips and tricks to punching face. I don't find it tedious or boring, the build is a joy to level, especially when you meet new people along the journey.

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

I mostly keep playing my main, but here are my five 50s.  I have only a few other characters, all under 30.

707975433_CoH50s(480x400).png.6bee583bd243a9b66c126165dbfff5f4.png

Top row:  Fraulein Mental (Mind/Kin controller; my main from 2006), in (left to right) usual costume, "detective mode," and "cosmic mode."

Bottom row (left to right):  Sunset Smash (WP/SS tanker, 2007; my homage to both Carol Danvers and Power Girl), Cosmique (human/dwarf peacebringer, 2006; my "angel in white"), Samantha-7 (MA/Nin scrapper, 2019; based on one of my Shadowrun characters), and Jean-Luc Wick (Beam Rifle/WP sentinel, 2019; based on Picard and John Wick just after the Picard poster released with the dog).

• Like 2

1. No.

2. Yes.

I have been working on having no powerset at 50 being used more than twice. I found the builds I like the most offer the most different feel.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

With every character I make, I always try to go with a powerset combination I've not used before. I never like to have the same powerset on two different characters. 

Costumes, on the other hand, usually end up pretty similar. There's just some costume concepts I gravitate towards, because I love how they look. I'd say the majority of my characters have either a classic spandex hero look or a suit of power armor in their wardrobe. While I don't reuse costumes wholesale, the basic themes are present throughout. 

Edited by GastlyGibus

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:24 AM, Herotu said:

Do you make lots of characters with the exact same powersets/builds?

If I have it's either because I have a new costume/concept to fit the powerset or I deleted the only character I had with the powerset and want to try it again.  

Do you make lots of characters with the same look?

A few times I've liked a costume/concept of a character - but not the powerset and so will try the same look using different powersets.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:24 AM, Herotu said:

There are two questions here;

• Do you make lots of characters with the exact same powersets/builds?

And..

• Do you make lots of characters with the same look?

to answer the original post

1) no. I'm new to the game so I try to explore something different each time. I make permutations of certain powers that I like (i.e. for sentinels -- DP/WP, DP/SR, DP/Dark, etc.) or I try similar powers on different ATs like fire/fire blaster, fire/fire, corruptor, dom, sent.

2) I try not to. As much as I like a certain look I've created, I prefer it to be unique to a particular character. I usually have similar pieces on several toons (or one toon's alternate costume) until I get "the perfect look" for him or her. Once I feel that I've achieved that, I tend not to use the same costume pieces on other toons. That said, I have several toons that have their "final" look and about an equal number of work in progress. 

regarding the naming. I've only passed down a name (my namesake Six-Six) from my first ever toon and incarnate to my current main and current favourite. every one else has their own name, own bio and own personalities.
😃

Edited by Six Six

On 4/9/2020 at 9:24 AM, Herotu said:

And..

I don't often make characters with the same powersets. Sometimes I'll build a new character concept with a primary or secondary I've used before if it fits the theme for them.

I'm very guilty of reusing the same look on lots of characters though! 🙂

...somewhere over 100 characters in Homecoming now I think. Holy frack.

For funsies one night I had an idea to come up with an in-game story for several characters I had. After playing through one of the redside arcs involving clones (not sure which one offhand, but it was during Sharkhead Isle level range) with my Night Widow, I got the idea of what if someone else made clones of her, like her "long lost father"? So, I turned my electric/shield stalker (a former Arachnos scientist who had learned magic from his infiltration of the CoT) into her father and the clones were his cabal trying to find said lost daughter(the Night Widow) who had been stolen by Arachnos years earlier for their Widow Program. In a twist, the mother was a former Portal Corp scientist who ran away in shame of her husband/depression over losing her daughter into a dimension that happened to have an Arachnos active there, only to have a daughter she was pregnant with (unknowingly at time of dimension jumping) joining the Widow Program of THAT dimension.

It's been fun writing the bios for them so far. Most are stalkers with a blaster, a brute or two, and a dominator thrown in. Plus, A couple of the clones have placed in the GM-run costume contests so there's that. Originally, I was going to only have 8 clones to fit the father character's naming theme (8 arms of an octopus) but alt-itis is hard affliction to overcome.

I've recreated several characters from live but otherwise I don't create characters with the same power sets unless I'm rerolling as a different AT

I do have several Chance Jackson costumes & I tend to reuse those especially on my experimental Chance Jackson & Chanceman toons

On 4/9/2020 at 7:24 PM, Herotu said:

And..

1. I try to avoid this. I've been trying to play powersets I never got to 50 back in the day, but I've also recreated a few of my absolute favorite pairings. I also try to avoid repeating powersets and so far I've been successful at it, but this is a rule I'll have to start breaking soon as there are is definitely a subset of powersets I enjoy playing more than others.

2. In a way yes, I don't copy the exact same look over, but for example I do have a couple of magic characters that use slightly altered versions of the same costume template.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I have 4 Fortunata's on different servers. All have the same name/build/costume and so on. I like that character so I don't have to move it around and all that.

As far as sets? I have 120ish characters so I am sure there is some overlap.

Costumes, well I am lazy at times and load up one I have saved so I can get through the new character creator and mess with the costume at a later time.