Do You Make the Same Character Over Again?

Herotu

15 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

The third version is something completely different. Void's Thorn is *still* Kaikara, but she's a Darkity/Dark/Dark Defender rather than a Stalker.

Darkity? That made me laugh!

1 minute ago, Ukase said:

Darkity? That made me laugh!

You've heard me say that before, too. XD

"DarkityDarkDark" is how I used to refer to Nemissary, that first crazy Death Mage of mine,  all the time.

(ETA: And Yes. Void's Thorn has Nemissary's ridiculous build. No way I *wasn't* going to go Full Ludicrous given the amount of fun I had with Nem back in the day.)

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

14 hours ago, Herotu said:

Do you make lots of characters with the same look?

It's part of the back stories.

Each character has the same backstory.

"I'm a witch [Magic Origin] and when my friends and I were young we used our magic in secret and for fun. We were discovered, hunted down and murdered. The survivors changed our forms and went into hiding.

Now, in Paragon, I'm looking for the rest of my sisters. Have you seen one? Are you one?"

The sad irony is that they're all on my account i.e. they'll never "meet."

Edited by Nemeroff
  • Like 1

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

12 hours ago, Herotu said:
  • Do you make lots of characters with the exact same powersets/builds?
  • Do you make lots of characters with the same look?

I never repeat a powerset combo or a build.  I do have a number of powersets, mostly armors, that I like and have multiple instances of.  I have Willpower on a brute, a scrapper, a stalker, a tanker, and a sentinel.  I have Bio armor on two different tankers, one Spines, one Kinetic; they live on different servers, though.  Have a Fire Melee scrapper (/Regen) and tanker (Shield/).  All of my other characters are entirely unique.  It was my ambition on old live to play every Tanker armor set to 50, and by sunset I had one of every one except Electric, which I was still working on.  I may do that here, though I have yet to roll a Stone, Dark, or Ice Armor character, and I'm not a fan of any of those and not really looking forward to them.

Do I make lots of characters with the same look?  Well sort of.  For the Amazon Army there's a shared color scheme that each of the characters enacts in one of their slots.  It's basically a combination of red/gold tops, blue skirts, and some white details, based on Heraclea's original costume.  I made this illustration earlier, that will show the theme and variations:

DdBUQNH.jpg

This was made in July.  All of the depicted characters are level 50 now.  There are 20 level 50 Amazons on Torchbearer now, and many more variants. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Had a ton of alts, but have pared down. I have several with the same prefix (Acro-), but with different powersets. Three of them are from the same “family.” One of them was a toon I leveled to15 quickly to test AE story arcs. Trying to keep my alt numbers down, but will probably create a family of archers once again, using various secondaries. No reason.i just like bows.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

6 hours ago, Nemeroff said:

They'll never meet because they're all busy doing their day jobs. Like real life!

• Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

7 hours ago, Nemeroff said:

It would be really neat to be able to use alts as character models to stand in the base.

• Like 3

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

3 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

It would be really neat to be able to use alts as character models to stand in the base.

Or have generic day job "toon"-characters that get replaced by the player's alts that are doing that location's dayjob. Too much?

It would be funny to see my alt working at City Hall or Wentworth's.

Too much. Argh, off-topic sorry.,

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

There are four costumes I keep repeating with only slight variations:

• RIPD corruptional officer
  • Prisoner of the RIPD, on "work release"
  • T-shirt, gym shorts, sneakers, ball cap -- a hero who wants to dress like a normal person
  • Motorcycle leathers -- ditto

My six level 50 toons have different archetypes, and there's no overlap in their primary and secondary powersets. There are some powersets I've tried out multiple times, but none that I've played to 50 more than once, and only two (Empathy and Sonic Attack) that I've played to 40 more than once.

It's likely that the first blaster I get to 50 will use a powerset I've taken to 50 before (either Beam Rifle or Ice Blast).

13 hours ago, Nemeroff said:

It's part of the back stories.

Each character has the same backstory.

"I'm a witch [Magic Origin] and when my friends and I were young we used our magic in secret and for fun. We were discovered, hunted down and murdered. The survivors changed our forms and went into hiding.

Now, in Paragon, I'm looking for the rest of my sisters. Have you seen one? Are you one?"

That's really quite sad. I feel bad for your characters now!

I've never been a backstories kind of guy but when I first started playing on homecoming I did have a kind of similar idea. I was thinking of writing bios for all my alts that linked them to a single event. A kind of mass origin story that would be revealed part by part in each bio. Then I remembered that I lack the writing chops to pull that off and that no-one would end up reading it all anyway... It was good in my head though!

• Like 1

I've made the same character several times, and each version has different powersets; Shield/StJ tanker, Kin/Nin Scrapper, TW/Nin Scrapper, and will likely make more, thinking another Shield/? Tanker. Basically, she's a merc turned hero-for-hire, who uses the money she's made to learn as many fighting styles and weapons as she can.

I have about 12 characters I play regularly, with about half again as many that are either mule/utility or regular characters that just didn't click. With one exception, I have not repeated any powersets and I try to give all my characters a unique look. However I do like certain power 'flavors' (namely ice) and I am sure if you looked over all my costumes you might notice a couple of general trends.

The one exception I mentioned is a staff/willpower brute hero whose concept and powers I really like, but he just didn't click with me. I got the itch to make a villain (because I'd only ever dabbled redside) and it occurred to me to re-purpose that brute as a villain with the same (albeit recolored) costume, and I love playing him.

I have a melee lineage of all different versions of Infinitum - family, versions from other dimensions etc. There is currently 10 of them and they are all similar in their looks but different at the same time.  3 are shield with SJ, Elec melee, and Dark melee. 1 is Invul ss, 1 is a rad rad, 1 is EM Invul, 1 is fire psi, 1 is psi elec, 1 is rad elec and 1 is fire fire.

My controllers are ill rad a mysterio type clone.  A gravity time kinda like an x men type. And a Elec Storm also an x men type.

Forgot about my plant kin Troller a Dr strange poison ivy mashup 

I have 2 corruptors one atomic kin which is an x men type look and a Archery Time that has an old school archer warrior look kinda like a time traveling robin hood theme.

My blaster is a fire atomic and a cross between iron man and the human torch.

I have a few Scrappers 1 kat nin Jedi look, 1 bs shield futuristic knight/viking look. 1 SJ Nin ripoff from the old video game double dragon. 1 ma nin kung fu type. 1 mace shield Robo cop ripoff. 1 axe shield nutcracker look.

1 stalker a elec shield futuristic hunter assassin look.

1 MM merc time themed on the A Team show.

1 sent BR Nin halo-shock trooper theme.

Oh Yeah and my farmer a rad fire named Granjero some how ended up looking like Mel Gibson from signs.

Edited by Infinitum

23 hours ago, parabola said:

I've never been a backstories kind of guy but when I first started playing on homecoming I did have a kind of similar idea. I was thinking of writing bios for all my alts that linked them to a single event. A kind of mass origin story that would be revealed part by part in each bio. Then I remembered that I lack the writing chops to pull that off and that no-one would end up reading it all anyway... It was good in my head though!

I've done this in a much looser manner. Way back in the first couple of months of live, I saw a line in chat that was in Cyrillic. Testing, I found that CoH supported Unicode, so I started making characters with origins outside the US and Paragon City. Many of them came from the old Soviet Union, cut free with its collapse, and I used real Soviet research institutions for background material, making up state-sponsored hero groups, individual heroes and villains, and villain groups that got referenced in the origins of different characters. So, while they didn't all have backstories that were part of a bigger story, they all tied into a common set of background entities, like the hero group Народная армия (People's Army) or the I. M. Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary and Physical Biochemistry.

• Like 1

My first character I made was a Broad Sword/Invulnerability Scrapper named Sir Slasher on live. In Homecoming, I remade him as a Broad Sword/Willpower Scrapper. I wanted to make a more "natural" version than the first one, and on live, I made him well before I11 came out and added Willpower as a Scrapper Secondary, so I didn't want to delete him only to remake him. A similar case happened with another character of mine "Doctor Defibrillator;' originally, he was an Empathy/Electrical Blast Defender and when I heard that a new Electrical Affinity was coming down the pipeline, I waited for it and made him an Electrical Affinity/Electrical Blast Defender.

My first character when I joined up was going to be a duplicate of my main from before. But after I got the look down, it just didn’t seem right to do the exact same power set as before so I changed (slightly...). Dark/dark scrapper to dark/dark brute. 

I tend to gravitate towards dark and rad as much as possible and avoid fire for some reason.

1.  No.  The only time I duplicated both power sets on a character was back in the original game when I made a redside doppelganger of my blueside main.  That said, I do reuse one or the other of the power sets, but mix them with something different, which may or may not be a power set I've used on another character.  

2.  I'll never completely duplicate costumes, but I've been known to reuse costume elements.  I've a few characters as part of my theme of 1930's-style movie serial "space rangers".  As such, they have very similar costumes, as uniforms of the organization, but slight variations to make each unique.  Color scheme definitely changes among their ranks (Think original Star Trek).  I've done something similar with another set of characters from an original game supergroup.  The one element I do use far, far too often, is the fingerless gloves.  So much so, it's almost a signature of my design style, like repetition for Worhol, or "almighty mountains" for Bob Ross.

The first toon I made after installing Homecoming was my main villain from live, Enraptor. Invul/MA tank that I had so much fun with back in the day, painfully remade in the the exact image that had been seared into my memory as I watched her vanish at sundown. I did alter her, though, switching out Invulnerability for Bio Armor because I realized it better fit the concept she'd grown into back on live. Then, because I'd always wanted to, I created her Praetorian double, Red Molly.

Both are currently sitting in the character selection at lvl 1. I want to play them, I honestly do, but I've had so many other character concepts in the last 8 years, and THEY GAVE US 1000 CHARACTER SLOTS! Back on live, I had to ration out my ideas, play only the ones that grabbed me most strongly. I'm no longer bound by this restriction! Every madcap idea that comes to me gets built!

I do tend to stick to melee. I've made a few blasters, but I lose interest in ranged combat quickly. Tried the other ATs, but the same happens, and I cannot maintain any interest in support classes. I like being durable, and I like punching dudes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

lol all of my 50s are versions of the same character!  I was not like this on Live, but now i have a fantasy comic that I write and illustrate, and I love trying to develop the main character through different versions of her abilities.  Maybe it's different stages of her life, or different roles she can play on a team, I just never get tired of her ~vibe~

She's a telekinetic energy mage.  so far at 50 I have a Grav/Kinetics controller, a Psychic/Radiation Blaster, a Psychic/Energy Aura Scrapper, and a Sonic/Martial Combat Blaster.  and I have a Mind/Energy Dominator poised at 49!  I'm very open to any other ideas you may have for me.  The recoloring really opens up powersets that may not seem relevant.  I really love energy powers and psychic powers, across all media.  I usually make this character in other RPGs as well - Elder SCrolls Online, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Saint's Row, anywhere with powers and a character customizer.

That said, I also have dozens of other characters that AREN'T her, and have nothing close to those powers.  I just love this game because I can play as my own fantasy characters so easily.

I try to avoid doing a repeat powerset whenever possible. That's not to say I won't make an Elec Melee character and an Elec Blast character, but it does mean I won't have two Elec Blast characters. For character design I try to be whatever fits the concept and since I don't repeat powersets that usually means I don't repeat a look. However, I do have a few that end up being similar in appearance, mostly in the "street clothes" category since that field is a bit limited overall, but those aren't primary outfits usually and don't bother me.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

I have like 30 costumes I cycle between. Sometimes depending on the spec I’ll add another- sometimes just do color changes. Sometimes it’s how much I care about a character. Sometimes I do it later.

im very happy with the costume sets I have. I did create a new one UNLIKE ANY i have ever done before that reminds me of G-Force... I stole it though lol

try not to, but I tend to default to my go-to’s a little too often I think. 

I’m a little hamstrung by the fact I really don’t enjoy melee, and I LOVE hoverblasting, so blasters, sentinels, and corruptors get very well used. 

On 4/9/2020 at 5:24 PM, Herotu said:

There are two questions here;

• Do you make lots of characters with the exact same powersets/builds?

And..

• Do you make lots of characters with the same look?

That's what I do. I play one character at a time. And extremely seldomly return to a character once I have stopped playing it. But when I play a character I will do multiple alts of it with different powersets. They will all have the same background and costume.