Do You Make the Same Character Over Again?

Herotu

I make a lot of characters.  I use a variety of powersets with just a few ATs (tanker and controller mostly).  But I usually play the characters with the same sets - electric control, ice control, kinetics or rad buffing, willpower.

And while I have a wide variety of looks, I tend to play similar looks because I am playing the same powersets.

I will remake Freakshow Recruiter to be an electric/electric controller now that is possible instead of an electric/electric dominator.

• Like 1

Not really. I've recreated quite a few characters from Legacy, but made many more that are new.

My Namesake character is identical the the character I had on Legacy, across all servers. I tend to play support so I roll a lot of Controllers, Doms, Corruptors and Defenders. All with different looks.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

No, I go out of my way to have variety, both in powersets and concepts. If I realise I've used the same gloves on two characters, I will try and change one of their gloves.

I actually don't feel good about having both a water defender and a water corruptor. It bothers me immensely.

• Like 4

ATs and power sets all over the map. Although, due to my glacial leveling speed, I have less than 30 alts, so it’s not like they cover everything. 

I’m working on getting one of every AT up to 50, and as of last night I’m at 5. 

As for the second question, technically they’re all huge shirtless dudes with facial hair, but the hair could be blond or black or purple or green or brown... What more variety does anyone need?

• Haha 2

Short answer:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10583-vileterrors-roleplay-characters-as-of-2019-09-27/

Slightly longer answer:  I have well over 100 characters now.  There are some themes, and ergo some Power Sets, which I lean on pretty heavily.  Ultimately, though, I like to think that my roster is pretty diverse, in terms of appearance, powers, representation, and characterization.  There are a few clone characters, mind you, which have the gimmick of all being identical, but I personally think of them as a single character which has been Xerox'd.

I have 53 characters on Indom, each with their own backstory and head cannon.  I don't reuse powerset from the same AT but martial arts in scrapper is different than martial arts in tanker!  Also on that server I have 13 sents, one for each primary and using every secondary once (except regen because there are only 12 sent secondaries.)

This week I made 4 new toons, one on each of the other shards.  They are all EmmySky and they are all regent sents but have different primaries.  They all look the same except boot and glove colors.

I try to make costumes specific to each character and their back story, but I find myself really reusing certain looks or costume pieces over and over again.  Plus, all my girls have a SG costume which is exactly the same except for signature color.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Herotu said:

There are two questions here;

• Do you make lots of characters with the exact same powersets/builds?

And..

• Do you make lots of characters with the same look?

1. No
  2. Yes

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

• I don't reuse exact primary/secondary combos within an AT... BUT if I find I quite enjoy one or the other, I'll reuse them but paired differently (e.g. I'm up to 3 Shield/x tankers now, and working on 2 each Rad/x and Bio/x Tankers).
  • I will sometimes use the same sets across different ATs, but again only if I found I enjoyed using it the first time and want to try it out somewhere else (e.g. I've got at least one Elec Affinity char in each AT that supports that set, and working on Dark Melee on both a Tanker and a Scrapper (each with different armour sets)).
  • I've got two characters with exactly the same costume (plus a third with a palette-swapped copy), and a few others who run palette-swaps for name/theme reasons, but for the most part I try to make unique looks. That said, I do find myself coming back to the same costume pieces often, which I'm working on branching away from.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

42 minutes ago, Herotu said:

And..

It's not a secret that I am quite lazy when it comes to costumes. I have probably only 5 costumes across 50+ characters. The female characters have 3 costumes. The colors might change, tho. I've got one tank with a unique look, the blasters have two looks, same as the brutes. Controllers/Corruptors/Defenders will look pretty much the same as the blasters or brutes, depending on the gender of the character. 

While I have a couple of characters that are the same powersets - the builds are not the same. I have picked up various habits with builds as I've played. 

They used to be about as much defense/recharge as I could get, but I did an experiment with my blasters and learned that max HP with a decent amount of defense (25-35%) is a lot more survivable than 200Hp less than max and 45% defense. So, the change in builds is reflected in this new philosophy. Mind you - it's anecdotal - but my last blaster had no defeats until level 50, Vet level 1, in a hami raid. Silly tanks weren't keeping aggro enough...but then, I shouldn't be stepping in the midst of a Monster scrum to use inferno without taking some lucks first. 

Had a second defeat when some idiot on a Keyes badge run couldn't stop hitting AM - killed the whole league. I don't consider that my fault, but defeat is defeat. 

Still, for a blaster to go 50 levels with my increasing difficulty settings every 10 levels from level 15 undefeated, I think that's a testament to the build. 

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

And..

Nope and Nope.  Each one is unique in powers and looks...Each one is their own concept...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

And..

For the first - I probably have a good percentage of Peacebringers and Warshades, so "powersets," sure, "builds," there's a bit of variety. Other than that, rarely.

FOr the second - unless I've got reason to ("continuation" of a character evolving into a new powerset,) rarely.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

My first 25 characters had no overlap at all. 

I didn't take Ice Blast if i already had an Ice Armor tank, because I already had an "Ice" character.

I went completely different directions as much as possible.

My more recent characters, have had to overlap some... I now have an Ice Blast/Dark Armor sentinel as well as an Ice/Ice Tank.  But still, separate *powersets* where I could manage it.

At 34 characters I ran out of unique combinations, so I now also have a Savage/Regen Brute as well as a Spines/Regen Stalker, both using /Regen.  And I have a Ninja/Cold MM and a Ice Control/Cold Controller, both using Cold for their secondary.

However, they all have very different costumes, completely different backstories, etc.

I tend not to play characters with sets I've already played, with few exceptions.  For example if I have a beam/time blaster, I'll not pick beam for the next blaster I roll.  

As for costumes, I have certain preferences on the design side, so many of my characters have at least elements of their outfits recycled between them.

Yes.  My MA/SR Scrapper has been built as a Tanker and Stalker so far, with Brute next.  I like learning a new playstyle, but without the added need to learn new powersets as an additional level of difficulty.  

I also don't really suffer from altitis, my main just gets a MK II,  III, etc depending on what mode he's in.  I may be an anomaly that way, other than Bill Z.

I have four Bill Z Bubba's (scrapper, brute, tank, stalker) with mostly the same costume and base look but of differing sizes and slightly altered first names (Baal, Beel, Beal.) All are claws/sr. I have some other SR users. I've got one other claws user. I've got around 50 alts right now, most at 50. Beyond my love of BZB, I try to branch out as much as possible on AT/Powerset/Costume.

Each character is unique. Sometimes I will use the same power set more than once, but I actively try not to. 

Who here has tried to recreate their old Live characters, or gone for something new? My old main was Mind Control, and I played it to death and got almost every badge, both Hero and Villain side. I really struggled to remake him on HC, feeling like in some ways, it ought to be a new beginning rather than a repeat...

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

5 hours ago, Herotu said:

And..

I've remade several of my favorite characters from the Legacy days as close to exact as I was able (from Mid's build plans and screenshots), so in those cases the answer to #1 is definitely Yes. However, after that handful of toons, any others I've made on HC were completely different (for instance, I'm currently leveling an Ice/Ice Sentinel, which obviously, wasn't possible in Ye Olde Dayes  😉

For #2, apart from the carryovers from Legacy, none of my characters look alike, and none of the carryovers look like each other at all either. I'm not by any means a costume creator, but every single one of my toons has a (semi-plausible) reason to exist in-game, and therefore a sort of mental concept of who they are, and what they look like. Also, every single one of my characters gets a "bio" at creation time. So, when it comes to creating their costume, I will oftentimes just push the Random button (a lot of times) until something pops up that I feel is "on the right track" for that character. At that point, I'll adjust the details and colors and such to refine that into the look I feel most fits that character, and voila!  So, usually, apart from (usually) being humanoid 😉 they look unique and different for each.

Regards,

Nope. 10+ years of WoW made me long for more variety. As someone who didn't play tanks or healers, I was left with just one DPS spec available for some classes, so that meant that when I rolled multiple paladins, they were all going to be Retribution spec, and ultimately the same character with different faces. Even for classes with multiple DPS specs, that was still only 2-3 variations.

So in CoX, I'm taking advantage of being able to create characters with so much variety. 92 alts so far, with only one duplicate (that didn't start out as a duplicate, but I'd rolled as a corruptor and the chosen powersets just weren't working for me, so I rerolled as a blaster and the only powersets that fit her concept were a combo I already had on another alt).

I've actually created spreadsheets for blasters, scrappers, brutes, sentinels, and stalkers so that I can more easily keep track of which powerset combos I've already used, and I ultimately want to have one alt of every possible PS combo for each of those ATs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Herotu said:

And..

1.  I've made Staff/Bio // Bio/Staff 4 times to 50.

2.  Only on a theme.

Who run Bartertown?

I have one character with three different avatars....

Kaikara (KM/Bio/Dark Stalker), my main, started out as a Rogue. The majority of her friends, though, were Heroes. After a few months of having to constantly side-switch just to play with them, I got fed up and made a character called White Thorn.

White Thorn is also a KM/Bio/Dark Stalker. She's Kai's "heroic alter ego"... The name and disguise Kai uses while she's running around with her goodie-goodie pals in Paragon City. The character has identical power picks and exactly the same IO set-build and Incarnate powers as the original. She's just natively a Hero rather than a Rogue.

The third version is something completely different. Void's Thorn is *still* Kaikara, but she's a Darkity/Dark/Dark Defender rather than a Stalker. She represents a version of Kai from some point in the future... A Kai who completely embraced that darkness-between-the-worlds that she draws her magic from, and in so doing became something of a living extension of it. She's a Void Walker. No longer entirely human and not exactly the same person she was before... But close enough to unnerve everyone who knows/knew her.

They all have similar costumes. Kai's is in classic Death Mage colors. Thorn's is bright white. Void uses the spectrum body in flat black with a completely black outfit and wispy black aura.... She's meant to look a lot like a shadow of the other two. XD

Otherwise? Nope. I have a few that repeat either a primary or secondary set another character has, but none of the rest of the gang duplicate both the way Kai and Thorn do... and none of the others are alternate avatars of the same character the way my "multiple Kais" are.

Costumes are a little different, My Oranbegans all have outfits using the Circle armor bits, they just all use it in different combinations and colors. My four Nova Primeva time-travelers all have matching Temple Guard uniforms, too... But beyond that they all have other outfits that are very individual. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice