How I learned to love my Energy/Energy Blaster again!

Abraxus

My very first character in this game (pictured in my Avatar) was, after very careful consideration (back before I knew what to actually consider), an Energy/Energy Blaster.  It fit with the image I had in my minds eye about the character, and what he could do.  It fit with the backstory I created for him.  I loved the mix of ranged offense, cones, and AOE.  It also came with some respectable melee for those moments when something got through, and wanted to make it personal.  However, after a time, I found out that most of what made the set so powerful offensively, also had a side-effect that just turned other players (mainly the melee players) totally off.  That being, of course, knock back.  I could do a lot of damage, but I did so at the risk of alienating my teammates in short-order.  In time, I settled for using the single target powers, and picked on the outliers in enemy groups, so as to minimize the adverse effect for everyone else.  Even though he was my first toon, he was nowhere near the first to make it to L50, for that very reason.  He just wasn't as fun to play with the restrictions I had placed on my play style to accommodate my preference for teaming.

I desperately wanted to play these sets on a Blaster again, but there remained that same old problem.  Then a friend, who is BIG into I/O stuffs, told me about one that turned knock back, into knock down.  Well, I was sold!  He gave me three of those ENH; attuned no less!  I bought two more myself.  So, Irresistible Force was born.  With the knock back problem solved, I was free to turn loose the full power of this set, without concern for alienating teammates, and it has been....well for lack of a better term, a BLAST!  

The character has been so much fun, that she is already L44 before she has earned her first Day Job badge!  Knowing that I'm free to use every capability I have to help win, was just liberating in the extreme!  I don't know if this converter existed in the original game, because I was not much into I/Os back then.  But, I have gotten more into them in Homecoming.  Somehow though, I was still unaware of this one until I was told. 

After all these years, this game still finds new ways to amaze, and thrill me!

EDIT:  She now has hit L50 before getting her first Day Job badge.  This one is gonna be the one to pile on some serious veteran levels!

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 9

What was no more, is REBORN!

Same here, I remember making a eng/eng blaster, running up to a guy and punching him.  When he flew back 20 feet I couldn't stop laughing for several minutes. Fell in love with this game back in 2005.  Now, too bad there's no way to make all KB to KD without having to what, use a IO of that type in each attack, or do you just use them in say AOEs?

• Like 1

I left the KB on the punch, and the snipe.  Everything else got a KD converter.  The punch I actually enhanced the KB, because when something does get through the melee shield, and comes for me, I knock them back as far as I can, so that I can go to work on them from distance.  

• Like 4

Interesting take though mine is the exact opposite.  My main and first 50 on live was an nrg/nrg blaster and I loved knockback.  I learned early on how to control that power and could juggle mobs easily.  I knew how far power push would send a minion flying so I would line them up to land on top of the melee player.  I knew when it made sense to fire off energy torrent or explosive blast.  Even Nova I made damn sure that if I was gonna fire it off that the only things left alive would be a boss that didn't go flying anyway.  Everything else was dead, dead, dead.  Sure I'd get on teams where someone would mention not liking knockback.  My usual response was "well, you've not seen me play so why don't you pay attention and don't chase what I hit."  Typically one or two groups later the complaints about knockback would cease.

Now on HC I play the same way.  Most players are more understanding of this nice mechanic so I rarely have anyone even mention the issue anymore.  Though that probably has more to do with team mates I choose than anything else.  I will never slot one of those KB -> KD IOs since I don't see a compelling reason to give up one of the best and least mitigated forms of soft control in the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My first and main character, Rathstar, is also an Energy/Energy Blaster, going all the way back to I2 in 2004.  He was the first character I resurrected on Homecoming, and I also created several variations of him with different secondaries and also as a few Sentinels.  Energy blasting is why I love this game, especially with knockback. 

Knockback is integral to making my Energy characters feel powerful, so there's no way I would ever slot KB2KD in all of my KB powers.  However, I have found value in doing so on my AoE powers, for the exact reasons mentioned by the OP: it does make me a better team player.  So Explosive Blast and Nova are the only two powers I take that get KB2KD IOs.

I leave the KB in my single-target powers for these reasons:

1. I want to maintain that original feeling of powerful that made me fall in love with this game.
  2. It is an essential tool for managing aggro and mitigating damage when solo.  With KB, a mob has to get back up and either attack me from range (where I have strong ranged defense) or run back to get into range for a melee attack (by which time I might have moved, meaning they need to keep running and not attack).  With KD, they just get up again and punch me in the face (where I have weak melee defense), almost immediately.  To me, that time difference where a mob has to move or adjust their attack type makes KB more valuable than KD.
  3. Most of the IO sets for ranged attack powers have bonuses for ranged defense in their 6th slot, so giving up that 6th slot for KB2KD eliminates that ranged defense.  I haven't found any other combination of IO set bonuses for an Energy Blaster that can compensate for the loss of ranged defense bonuses.

@Abraxus, I'm glad you've "come home" to both HC and Energy blasting: I'm honored that you're among our ranks.  I hope we get to team someday soon!

Edited by Rathulfr
typos & formatting
  • Like 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

BTW, in case you're interested, here's my Energy² Blaster build.  Feel free to use it as a starting point for your own.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Rathstar NRGx2: Level 50 Science Blaster
Primary Power Set: Energy Blast
Secondary Power Set: Energy Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(40), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(11)
Level 4: Build Up -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(17), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(17), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(19), AdjTrg-Rchg(19)
Level 6: Power Burst -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(25)
Level 8: Sniper Blast -- ExcCnt-Acc/Dmg(A), ExcCnt-Dmg/EndRdx(25), ExcCnt-Dmg/ActRdx(27), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rng(27), ExcCnt-Dmg/Rchg(29), ExcCnt-Stun%(29)
Level 10: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), Ksm-ToHit+(31)
Level 14: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33)
Level 16: Energize -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34), NmnCnv-Heal(34), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(36)
Level 18: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(36), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(36), Rct-Def/Rchg(37), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Rct-ResDam%(37)
Level 20: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(39), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--Build%(40)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(43)
Level 26: Explosive Blast -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(43), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(43), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(45)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Nova -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(50)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 38: Afterburner -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Aim -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A)
Level 47: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), PwrTrns-+Heal(15)
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally 
------------

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

1 hour ago, iBot said:

Interesting take though mine is the exact opposite.  My main and first 50 on live was an nrg/nrg blaster and I loved knockback.  I learned early on how to control that power and could juggle mobs easily.  I knew how far power push would send a minion flying so I would line them up to land on top of the melee player.  I knew when it made sense to fire off energy torrent or explosive blast.  Even Nova I made damn sure that if I was gonna fire it off that the only things left alive would be a boss that didn't go flying anyway.  Everything else was dead, dead, dead.  Sure I'd get on teams where someone would mention not liking knockback.  My usual response was "well, you've not seen me play so why don't you pay attention and don't chase what I hit."  Typically one or two groups later the complaints about knockback would cease.

Now on HC I play the same way.  Most players are more understanding of this nice mechanic so I rarely have anyone even mention the issue anymore.  Though that probably has more to do with team mates I choose than anything else.  I will never slot one of those KB -> KD IOs since I don't see a compelling reason to give up one of the best and least mitigated forms of soft control in the game.

That's one of the things I love about this game.  There are so many ways to go with any powerset, depending on what works best for you!  You literally can make things just the way you like them, in whatever way best accommodates your preferences, and playstyle.  If embracing the KB is your thing, more power to ya, and godspeed sir!  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

There is a simple solution to the KB vs. KD “discussion”. Make two builds, one with KD IOs and one without.

I suppose that means @Myrmidon wants us to end the "discussion".  😆 

• Haha 1

@Rathstar

2nd build is a great idea, but kiting out two complete builds can be pricey for a lot of people.  Good long term goal though.

16 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

Slot for moar knockback. Maximum moar.

Main issue I always had actually wasn't the knockback it was the lack of consistency that happens when only 60% of things get knocked back.   Energy Torrent's 60% chance for knockback should be 100%. Dark blast's umbral torrent is actually better at knocking things back/down because umbral  is 100% (and a higher mag kb as well!), why not energy torrent?  Explosive blast should probably be 100% as well, but definitely Energy torrent not being 100% is sad on the supposed knockback blast set.  I think even the single target attacks should be maybe not 100%, but higher as well.  Energy is the king of knocking things around (well, except for storm), it should act like it! 

2 hours ago, Abraxus said:

That's one of the things I love about this game.  There are so many ways to go with any powerset, depending on what works best for you!  You literally can make things just the way you like them, in whatever way best accommodates your preferences, and playstyle.  If embracing the KB is your thing, more power to ya, and godspeed sir!  

I certainly agree with you there.  Different play styles and set ups is certainly a strong point of this game.  I just tend to find it amusing how often knockback gets singled out in this game as something to be frowned upon rather than just another "hey whatever works!". 😇

My first and main character is the one in my avatar. He's always been Energy/Energy...the only thing that ever changes are the Epic Pools. However, back when KB to KD did not exist, I felt frustrated when I had to aim this way or aim that way in order to keep my knock back from scattering mobs. I didn't care about the single target attacks, because nothing single target would I knock back that I couldn't kill. Now that I have KB to KD in my PBAoE, AoE and Cone abilities, I am much happier living the same care free attack from anywhere that all the other Blasters get. So I feel your love, OP.

• Like 2

First...

Abraxus, are you the same Abraxus from Justice Server on live?

If so, I'm still trying to wrap my head around you talking about blasters when I remember you as a Tank and a mighty fine Tank indeed haha.

Never knew you were a En/En blaster first.

Cosmic Herald

Justice Server

Actually, I was on Virtue way back when.  While I played a few tanks, this guy pictured in my forum avatar was my signature character.  He lives again on this server, again as a Blaster, but because of my original issues with KB in the Energy set, this time he used the Dark Blast set.  I created a new Blaster (Irresistible Force) to experience Eng/Eng with the KB to KD conversion, and I obviously LOVED it!  She made it to L50 in mere days, and I look forward to player her much more in the future.