Respecs

well if this happens lets go really crazy and let us pick and choose what powers we want from across all sets on the AT.

(The above comment was sarcasm and should not be taken seriously, any intent or resemblance to reality is strictly coincidental and in no way represents an ongoing conspiracy of any kind whatsoever. This message has been brought to you by Nemesis.)

• Haha 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/18100-change-powerset-how-would-that-work/

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

Allow Primary and Secondary power sets (not just the powers within a set) to be changed during a respec.  For example, allow characters to respec from a claws/regen brute to a Katana/Super Ref brute, or whatever.

Once created, toon sets are hard coded, currently.

So, not possible now. This would be "rerolling."

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 1

1000 slots and free name changes, your ideal character with jack of all trades powers is unlimited.  Got 82 characters, most reserved for future use (bite me you complainers, spoken and written language is unlimited but for your imagination and we can't all have what we want).

• Haha 3

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I've seen this exact suggestion dozens of times over the years and it's always gotten a "no".  People would roll a "fast starting" combo and then change into a "late blooming" combo.  And, of course, apparently the game is hard coded to Origin (worthless as we all know), AT, Primary/Secondary.  Those are the locked in stone attributes of each character.

So, on the one hand it allows an easy way to game the power/leveling curve and on the other the game code doesn't allow that to change without likely MAJOR surgery to the core functionality... which would likely introduce some really nasty bugs and/or side effects.

Hmm, major programming change (if it's even possible without basically a page one rewrite of the code) with the benefit of partially breaking the power and leveling even more than it currently is.  I see that as a Loose/Loose proposition.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I've seen this exact suggestion dozens of times over the years and it's always gotten a "no".  People would roll a "fast starting" combo and then change into a "late blooming" combo.  And, of course, apparently the game is hard coded to Origin (worthless as we all know), AT, Primary/Secondary.  Those are the locked in stone attributes of each character.

It could be even weirder if folks could use the alternate builds to do this very thing.

The closest experience the game can offer the OP is AFAIK using alternate builds for VEAT. The Fortunata and Night Widow can play very differently; I've got one where each build has a different body type and costume as well.  It isn't the same thing as radically changing primaries, but the Night Widow can easily be seen as 'scrappery' while the Fortunata can opt for Blappery Control options.

The Spider offers some variety,, but if any of your builds take the crabpack, all of your costumes will have to display it... this is more immersion-breaking IMO. I feel like there is less real variety here, as the most varied build is the Crabbermind but that is only really an option at high levels. The Melee approach has very slow animating attacks which make it quite the slog to play.... much more boring than any other melee class IMO.

I mean, honestly, it's not that big of a deal to me.  Would I like the flexibility of being able to respec all my powers?  Sure.  Am I devastated that I can't do that?  No, of course not.

A simple answer of, "This suggestion is moot, because the game is hard-coded and this aspect can't be changed," would have sufficed.  Instead, I got a lot of histrionics and hand-wringing from players terrified that their enjoyment of the game was going to somehow be destroyed by a change, which isn't even possible in the first place.

Not that I'm bothered by this; quite the opposite.  I find the melodrama amusing (even if I am baffled why so many are threatened by it.  So another player rolls a "fast starting" combo and then changes to a "late blooming" combo.  Yeah?  So, what?  What has that got to do with me, and why should that negatively impact my own game play- particularly, if I have the freedom to do the exact same thing?

Anyway, as you guys pointed out to me, it's a moot point, but do keep 'em coming.  I get a real chuckle out of reading this stuff.  😀

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

I mean, honestly, it's not that big of a deal to me.  Would I like the flexibility of being able to respec all my powers?  Sure.  Am I devastated that I can't do that?  No, of course not.

A simple answer of, "This suggestion is moot, because the game is hard-coded and this aspect can't be changed," would have sufficed.  Instead, I got a lot of histrionics and hand-wringing from players terrified that their enjoyment of the game was going to somehow be destroyed by a change, which isn't even possible in the first place.

Not that I'm bothered by this; quite the opposite.  I find the melodrama amusing (even if I am baffled why so many are threatened by it.  So another player rolls a "fast starting" combo and then changes to a "late blooming" combo.  Yeah?  So, what?  What has that got to do with me, and why should that negatively impact my own game play- particularly, if I have the freedom to do the exact same thing?

Anyway, as you guys pointed out to me, it's a moot point, but do keep 'em coming.  I get a real chuckle out of reading this stuff.  😀

Speaking of drama....

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

You basically just said:

I is Troll.

• Thanks 1

Okay.  Well, that wasn't my intention.  I guess my irritation at the knee-jerk reactions and unhelpful replies I was getting (I don't mean your reply- or Troo's, both of which were helpful and relevant) got my dander up. 

Rereading my follow-up post, it does sound like passive-aggressive snark, so I apologize for that.

• Like 1

Even in a theoretical "if it were possible" scenario, I could still see this as being a bad thing if many players no longer make new characters and only swap their main's sets around, reducing the amount of people in mid level ranges. Of course I am biased because I prefer mid level over endgame, but it's still food for thought.