Is this the ultimate AFK farming build?

'Tan

My goal was to create the most efficient AFK farming build, as in, I want to send it into an AE farm, only have to click hasten, hybrid, and destiny, and come back in a few minutes to find most the map dead. With that in mind, my goals were to get fire def and recharge as high as possible. 

After running this build on the test server, it outperforms my regular spines/fire build (with spine burst, throw spines, mu mastery, and consume). What do you guys think?

Notable differences on this build are that I only took build up, taunt, and quills in the primary and skipped consume and temp. protection in the secondary.

I went with fire mastery to be able to slot 3 sets that give 5% fire def. 

The biggest difference here though is that I went with whirlwind. The +recharge bonus from FF is up more often than not. I was regularly seeing 300+% recharge bonuses with ageless and hasten on. 

The biggest downside to this build is that whirlwind drains end fast. This is mitigated by slotting 3 +5 end mod IOs. Ageless is available enough that it isn't an issue anyway.

And of course.. soft capped fire def (you only need to be running maneuvers, stealth, or weave to get it). Plus, the knockdown from whirlwind mitigates most incoming damage anyway.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Edited by 'Tan

2 hours ago, SurfD said:

Maybe paste the actual build into the post as well?  Not everyone has time to fire up mids and import it before offering a critique.

Yeah, that's ten seconds we'll never get back.

• Haha 2

Radiation tends to be better than Spines for farming. Also, if you're going to just afk farm, you could easily just go with something like Stone Armor and make a build that can sit afk in a cave but also go out in the world and fight virtually anything with hard-capped resists to all except Psionic and soft-capped defenses to all typed except Psionic.

If you truly want to AFK farm just go to an asteroid map with softcapped fire def and hardcapped fire res, run around the map and then follow an NPC with burn/fireball/atom smasher on (I think burn is fastest but I haven't tested it in a year or so). Should take about 10-12 minutes.

afk faring is a special case, because it requires 3 things.

a damage aura in your secondary

a damage aura in your primary

a decent aoe that can be autoed. These are your three primary damage sources afk farming. If you can find a decent aoe that is MORE DPS than another aoe+aura, that might be your ticket also

only two primaries have a damage aura, spines and rad... they are roughly equal at 3.13 dps base

well, here is a chart:

Ehh, I had a huge chart saying the different aoe's, aura, and autoables, but I should just chop it down to the basic numbers.

radiation/fire is the best afk farmer.
spines/fire is the second best, but darned close. That's it. The rest are more troublesome... but if you are afk, do you really care about your efficiency?

It is not possible to afk for more that 120 seconds using Hasten and Burn.

Whirlwind is interesting as a toggle to boost recharge. Though when Ageless runs it's 120s there may be endurance issues. The OP did say a "few minutes"..

Wouldn't it be better to add Tactics instead of Hasten for the stated purpose?

Edited by Troo
oops forgot burn

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

10 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

radiation/fire is the best afk farmer.
spines/fire is the second best, but darned close. That's it. The rest are more troublesome... but if you are afk, do you really care about your efficiency?

(Numbers from Mid's)

Spine Burst is 47.39 damage with a 16s recharge and 3.168s activation.

Quills is 3.13 dps

If we assume +80% global recharge (Hasten isn’t an option) and +80% internal recharge, that would be 47.39 damage with a 6.12s recharge and the same 3.168s activation or 5.08 dps.

The sum would be 3.13 + 5.08 = 8.21 dps

Compare to Thunder Strike. This is 81.75 damage with an 18s recharge and 3.432s recharge.

However, we can slot it for Force Feedback, which averages to 90% extra haste.

That would yield 5.14s recharge, or 9.54 dps.

Note that both numbers scale the same way with +damage multipliers.

Now, an argument could be made that the Force Feedback proc costs you some other proc. However, that proc won't scale with Fury and you've got roughly the same proc opportunities between the two abilities.

With that in mind, the kings of active farming are like Tankers with the right sets due to the increased target caps/arcs/radii and the fact that you can eat reds like candy, minimizing the value of Fury.

23 minutes ago, JnEricsonx said:

I gotta ask-is AFK farming exactly what it sounds like?   And, how the hell does that work?

You plant yourself in a high traffic spot with wandering mobs. You turn on your toggle damage fields and an auto-fire power... and then you walk away. Mobs wander into your vicinity, aggro on you and die from the damage left running.

51 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

But is this a fair comparison? Electric Melee does not have a damage aura,whereas both Rad and Spines do. 

My numbers for Spines included the sum of the damage aura and the PBAoE on auto-fire.

6 hours ago, Hjarki said:

With that in mind, the kings of active farming are like Tankers with the right sets due to the increased target caps/arcs/radii and the fact that you can eat reds like candy, minimizing the value of Fury.

Nope. Much as I WISH that were true, it is not. Brute's 600% damage cap and sheer EASE of overcoming Tanker's damage in a red-sparse environment makes them the undisputed kings of active melee farming.

I have 9 fully slotted melee farming builds, using every trick to crank aoe damage potential possible. 4 of those are tanks, ice/fire, shield/savage, fire/rad, and fire/fire. The brutes are rad/fire, claws/fire, savage/fire, and TW/ice. I also, using melee hybrid, have 3 farming scrappers as well, but even with 9 taunt targets, they just cannot hold enough aggro to farm like tankers and brutes.

I WISH, and have tried desperately, to make a farming tank that can match a brute, but the fact that brutes, with normal slotting and fury, step into their first fight and immediately get about 340% damage (outside of incarnates) makes too big of a difference... and they hover there or higher no matter what reds drop. Tankers have 20% higher BASE damage now, but still, their damage is 200% when they step into the ring. Tanks have potential +200% from reds, brutes +240%... and at cap (with enough reds) brutes still do 30% MORE damage than tankers at every level. Even throwing incarnates 'double hit' into the mix makes very little difference in the huge gap of clear speeds between the two.

Stuff crowds close in a farm. the difference between 10 feet and 15 feet is almost immaterial. But as much as I have tried, rad/fire and spines/fire brutes still own active farming. The two auras, the 'free' high end aoe from burn, the aggro holding, the much higher starting and red-fueled damage, simply make too much of a difference.

I wish you were right, I really do, but you are not.

And passive farming, fury doesn't care if you are afk, and blows Tankers UTTERLY away... and you don't AFK farm in a 'real world' environment.

5 hours ago, Hjarki said:

My numbers for Spines included the sum of the damage aura and the PBAoE on auto-fire.

You are ignoring something.

turn off the pbaoe on auto-fire. Burn beats it.
Rad and spines both have an aura that does damage... the rest of the set is irrelevant while you are using fire armor.

You are numbers-theorizing while ignoring reality.

Add spines or rad's aura to burn, and compare it to every other set's 'primary aoe'. which wins? aura+burn. every time. burn is 3.4, quills/rad is 3.14.   For an primary set to be worth ignoring burn for, it's primary auto-aoe MUST exceed 6.54.  Looking through the various DPS, the closest 'competitor' is savage/rending flurry  at a full 1 dps less... 5.43. Claws is a distant third at 4.74 for spin.

If you are farming with something other than fire armor, secondaries with auras still win the dps game, but THEN you can ask yourself 'how much dps does an aura+aoe set do compared to an auto-aoe?"

You notice something weird. Ice, Stone, electric, and dark all have dps auras. OF THOSE, Dark is the easiest to slot for capped defense/resist for farming. most of their auras do only slightly less damage than fire's aura at 4.17 vs 4.73, but the difference is minor. Except for stone armor's mud pots which is much lower.

Basically, the closest thing that you are going to find to a 'fire farmer killer', for afk AND active farming is going to be savage/ice, savage/dark, or savage/electric., all brutes. All of those will perform VASTLY better if you want to go at normal combat as well, but dark and ice both have an edge in AFK farming because of oppressive gloom and chilling embrace, which will allow you to drop your resist/defense below cap and still screw incoming damage AFK.

Of the two, I prefer savage/ice, because CE tends to 'catch' more passing aggro with it's bigger radius, and the slow tends to keep it closer while the -15% damage seems to slow incoming damage more than the fear and -to-hit of CoF.... but others may differ because CoF can slot procs and the -to-hit can be enhanced quite a bit, for higher DPS.

That's it.

But, if you would like, PLEASE try a dark/savage tanker and slot the crap out of CoF.... I haven't tried this combo myself, but maybe with the HUGE damage potential of CoF procced... it might get closer to fire farming brutes than any other tanker.

Edited by Frostweaver
Nope, tried it on test. doesn't even come to within 50% of a fire farmer's speed.

1 minute ago, Frostweaver said:

I WISH, and have tried desperately, to make a farming tank that can match a brute, but the fact that brutes, with normal slotting and fury, step into their first fight and immediately get about 340% damage (outside of incarnates) makes too big of a difference... and they hover there or higher no matter what reds drop. Tankers have 20% higher BASE damage now, but still, their damage is 200% when they step into the ring. Tanks have potential +200% from reds, brutes +240%... and at cap (with enough reds) brutes still do 30% MORE damage than tankers at every level. Even throwing incarnates 'double hit' into the mix makes very little difference in the huge gap of clear speeds between the two.

Tankers can deal 0.95 * 5 = 4.75 damage while Brutes can deal 0.75 * 7 = 5.25 damage, which is a 10% damage advantage to Brutes at the damage cap.

7 minutes ago, Frostweaver said:

Stuff crowds close in a farm. the difference between 10 feet and 15 feet is almost immaterial. But as much as I have tried, rad/fire and spines/fire brutes still own active farming. The two auras, the 'free' high end aoe from burn, the aggro holding, the much higher starting and red-fueled damage, simply make too much of a difference.

Tankers hit either 100% more targets (for Cones) or 60% more targets (for PBAoE).

On Cones in particular, the difference between 7 yards/90 arc and 10 yards/135 arc is normally the difference between 2-3 targets and 6 - 8.

I also wouldn't use the sets you're talking about (Radiation, Fire, Savage) for the purposes of Tanker AE.

But consider Radiation:

Proton Sweep (Brute): 59.64 * 5 / (8 / 3.75 + 1.848) = 75 dps

Proton Sweep (Tanker): 63.62 * 10 / (8 / 3.75 + 1.848) = 160 dps

Atom Smasher (Brute): 64.65 * 10 / (22 / 3.75 + 3.168) = 72 dps

Atom Smasher (Tanker): 68.96 * 16 / (22 / 3.75 + 3.168) = 122 dps

Burn (Brute): 103.4 * 5 / (25 / 3.75 + 2.244) = 58 dps

Burn (Tanker): 107.4 * 5 / (25 / 3.75 + 2.244) = 60 dps

Blazing Aura (Brute): 4.59 * 10 = 46 dps

Blazing Aura (Tanker): 4.89 * 10 = 49 dps

Total (Brute): 75 + 72 + 58 + 46 = 251 dps

Total (Tanker): 160 + 122 + 60 + 49 = 391 dps

All the above would be multiplied by your +damage. Out of the box, a Brute would likely have 3.5x damage (between internal and Fury) while a Tank would have 2x damage (just internal). So our Tanker would be dealing about 90% of the damage of the Brute. At cap, its 7x vs. 5x and our Tanker would be dealing 10% more. (There's some actual rotation here - I haven't played around enough with Radiation to figure it out - but it will almost certainly involve gaps).

Irradiated Ground is roughly the same between the two ATs because it's generally slotted for procs.

Proton Sweep also isn't particularly worthwhile on a Brute while it's more valuable on a Tanker due to increased arc/range.

1 hour ago, Frostweaver said:

turn off the pbaoe on auto-fire. Burn beats it.

Spine Burst (Brute): 47.39 * 10 / (16 / 3.75 + 3.168) = 64 dps

Spine Burst (Tanker): 50.55 * 16 / (16 / 3.75 + 3.168) = 109 dps

If you compare to the numbers above, Spine Burst is a slightly better choice for auto-fire on a Brute and a significantly better one for Tankers. Burn is slightly better for Brutes in terms of dpa, but dpa only really matters if you've got a complete rotation (which you don't). I think you overlooked the target cap on Burn.

Now, compare all those numbers I've listed to these:

Jacob’s Ladder (Tanker): 115.3 * 10 / (8 / 3.75 + 1.848) = 290 dps

Thunder Strike (Tanker): 150.6 * 16 / (18 / 3.75 + 3.432) = 293 dps

Spin (Tanker): 106.5 * 16 / (14 / 3.75 + 2.54) = 272 dps

Eviscerate (Tanker): 122.9 * 10 / (12 / 3.75 + 2.508) = 215 dps

Shockwave (Tanker): 63.68 * 10 / (14.4 / 3.75 + 1.188) = 127 dps

Typhoon’s Edge (Tanker): 50.72 * 16 * 1.5 / (12 / 3.75 + 2.508) = 213

Sweeping Strike (Tanker): 75.63 * 10 / (11 / 3.75 + 1.452) = 172

One Thousand Cuts (Tanker): 105 * 10 / (15 / 3.75 + 3.432) = 141

Flashing Steel (Tanker): 44.04 * 10 / (6 / 3.75 + 1.32) = 151

The Lotus Drops (Tanker): 68.51 * 16 / (14 / 3.75 + 1.98) = 192

Guarded Spin: 51.53 * 10 / (8 / 3.75 + 1.98) = 125

Eye of the Storm: 54.72 * 1.2 * 16 / (17 / 3.75 + 2.772) = 144

Innocuous Strikes: 73.85 * 10 / (10 / 3.75 + 2.376) = 146

Shadow Maul (Tanker): 121.5 * 16 / (11 / 3.75 + 2.508) = 357

Pendulum (Tanker): 80.26 * 10 / (15 / 3.75 + 2.244) = 129

Whirling Axe (Tanker): 42.26 * 16 / (14 / 3.75 + 2.904) = 102

Cleave (Tanker): 116.6 * 16 / (15 / 3.75 + 2.508) = 287

Combustion (Tanker): 57.83 * 16 / (15 / 3.75 + 3.158) = 129

Fire Sword Circle (Tanker): 79.46 * 16 / (20 / 3.75 + 2.904) = 154

Breath of Fire (Tanker): 71.01 * 16 / (15 / 3.75 + 2.904) = 165

Now, there are a lot of nuances to those numbers. A 120+ arc is significantly better than a 90 or 75 arc in terms of practical value (much less a 30 degree arc - 16 targets is... optimistic... for Cleave). The AE's with knockback permit slotting Force Feedback so they tend to have a significantly better performance than you'd otherwise expect. Some of those are ranged AEs (that would require gaps in your rotation to 'pop up').

22 minutes ago, Tux said:

Procs in damage auras.. worth it or not?

Blazing Aura is 4.59 dps. So a single damage enhancement would be worth 0.42 * 4.59 = 1.93 dps. A 71.75/3.5 proc would be 3.5 * 10 / (60 * 2.2) * 71. 75 / 10 = 1.90 dps.

A single end reduction would be worth 0.15/sec endurance, or about the same as you'd get from two purple sets.

1 hour ago, Hjarki said:

Tankers can deal 0.95 * 5 = 4.75 damage while Brutes can deal 0.75 * 7 = 5.25 damage, which is a 10% damage advantage to Brutes at the damage cap.

Tankers hit either 100% more targets (for Cones) or 60% more targets (for PBAoE).

On Cones in particular, the difference between 7 yards/90 arc and 10 yards/135 arc is normally the difference between 2-3 targets and 6 - 8.

I also wouldn't use the sets you're talking about (Radiation, Fire, Savage) for the purposes of Tanker AE.

<wall of numbers>

All the above would be multiplied by your +damage. Out of the box, a Brute would likely have 3.5x damage (between internal and Fury) while a Tank would have 2x damage (just internal). So our Tanker would be dealing about 90% of the damage of the Brute. At cap, its 7x vs. 5x and our Tanker would be dealing 10% more. (There's some actual rotation here - I haven't played around enough with Radiation to figure it out - but it will almost certainly involve gaps).

Irradiated Ground is roughly the same between the two ATs because it's generally slotted for procs.

Proton Sweep also isn't particularly worthwhile on a Brute while it's more valuable on a Tanker due to increased arc/range.

<wall of numbers>

Now, there are a lot of nuances to those numbers. A 120+ arc is significantly better than a 90 or 75 arc in terms of practical value (much less a 30 degree arc - 16 targets is... optimistic... for Cleave). The AE's with knockback permit slotting Force Feedback so they tend to have a significantly better performance than you'd otherwise expect. Some of those are ranged AEs (that would require gaps in your rotation to 'pop up').

Good job ignoring Burn.

Look, we have gone over this a thousand times in the 'farm fresh builds' and other threads.

a full fire brute attack chain on an active farm is burn, primary aoe, ball lightning, and cages (from Mu), with two damage auras running with max damage and 1-2 procs each, with the occasional specific add, like a cone, from the primary, or a build up of some sort time permitting. usually not neccessary, though.

Unless you would like to SHOW me a tanker completely clearing a +4/x8 in less than 4:30, you are simply mathing mids. It has been done tons of times, and even with the new tanker damage boost it still doesn't add up. Not solo, and especially not in a team. _I_ have done the builds and tested them. a dozen other people have done the builds and tested them. At this point you are simply pulling a Sheldon.

You don't have a <5 minute tank. _I_ don't have a <5 minute tank. NO ONE has a <5 minute tank (unless they cheat.... I have seen several people try to run on lower diff, or without bosses, or by having hard-to-see creatures on the map so they can 'skip out' without completely clearing it.) The standard map is $comicon fire farm$ #125 or #comicon s/l Farm$... that's what everyone else tests their builds on for comparison. Making a 'special map' is good for farming, but means nothing for comparison purposes.

No Tanker can come close, not before the patch, not even after it, although it narrowed the window a little. And the gap widens when you have doorsitters or spectators.

Go for it. Prove me wrong. With actual performance, not doctored mids numbers carefully ignoring a thousand realities like the fact that radius is irrelevant, and 'widened' tanker cones barely add more than 1 mob to the number caught. if you bob around trying to line up cones, mobs step out of your burn patches or fail to get hit by your aoe's, you get caught on top and cannot USE your aoe's effectively for a few seconds, or you wind up shooting your cone the wrong way and accomplishing the same as an ST attack... experienced farmers KNOW this.

But like I said, prove me wrong with actual recordings. Prove the OTHER thousand farmers that have come to the same conclusion wrong. I double-dog-dare ya.

I would LOVE it... EVERYONE would love it if you could create a Tanker build, or even a non-fire brute build, that could push rad/spines/fire brutes out of the top spot. better build means new more powerful farmer, which we would be happy to have (especially if it IS NOT a /fire brute... we'd like to be able to do normal content better with our farmer) but at this point I am starting to wonder if you even own a top-tier farmer... or if you are simply gaming mid's.

Edited by Frostweaver
  • Thanks 1

Good job ignoring Burn.

You mean where I 'ignored' it right here?

2 hours ago, Hjarki said:

Burn (Brute): 103.4 * 5 / (25 / 3.75 + 2.244) = 58 dps

Burn (Tanker): 107.4 * 5 / (25 / 3.75 + 2.244) = 60 dps

Now I just pulled the numbers from Mid's to illustrate how your understanding of the various powers was incorrect. But those numbers seem fairly accurate to me. Do you have any legitimate objection to them?

_I_ have done the builds and tested them. a dozen other people have done the builds and tested them.

Except you haven't. You've been doing the equivalent of playing an Ice/Empathy Controller and then boldly proclaiming that Controllers can't do decent damage.

Why is it that every time someone makes specious claims about being able to outdamage a fire farming Brute they are unwilling to prove it? I am quite happy to invite you to atlas and do a fashion show with each and every build that I have tested. I have posted the numbers right here on the brute boards. I will happily do so again.

You have been making dramatic claims backed by partial and incomplete mids numbers for your last 4 posts. Try again, with a build and an attack chain that beats the DPS for 2 auras +burn + spine burst/atom smasher, +ball lightning, +electrifying cages at 80% fury with musculature and ageless incarnates.

This is the bare minimum for a fire farmer.

In fact, go to THIS thread:

If you have an attack chain that can beat these builds, have at it. Until then, you are just nerding with mids and completely misunderstanding the result.

You haven't even bothered to post a BUILD that can do what you claim.

That is called 'Trolling'.

Edited by Frostweaver

So to answer the OP's question- AFK farming requiresx only two things.

An armor that can cap a resistance/defense, generally s/l or fire, that will allow you to heal through a +4/x8 spawn indefinitely (most brutes and all tankers can do this easily enough)
a single aoe you can 'auto'. all sets except dark, tw, and electric have this, I believe. heck... if you really want to a sentinel, scrapper, or blaster could probably make a build like that too, but you might have a few wandering singletons as the aggro mechanics are a little tough to deal with and you won't be reapplying melee incarnate taunt.
(I bet I could even make a fire/nature controller that could do it...)

Speed is irrelevant, because you cannot speed up patrols when you are afk... ANYTHING has enough DPS to eventually kill the spawns you pick up.

There is no 'ultimate' afk farming build. That is reserved for active farmers. you have your defense, resistance, and your ONE auto aoe... everything else is just mules for making sure your defense, resistance, and healing are high enough to sleep through a constant stream of attackers. almost any powerset combo can do it. Heck, my stone/stone tanker can afk farm as fast as the fastest farmer.... everything is dead in a few hours anyway.

Edited by Frostweaver

56 minutes ago, Frostweaver said:

You have been making dramatic claims backed by partial and incomplete mids numbers for your last 4 posts. Try again, with a build and an attack chain that beats the DPS for 2 auras +burn + spine burst/atom smasher, +ball lightning, +electrifying cages at 80% fury with musculature and ageless incarnates.

I haven't been making claims at all. You're the only one making unsupported claims. I merely showcased how the numbers run down - and clearing up your confusion about the various mechanics. If you want to address the actual numbers, go right ahead. You do this all the time. You make a ludicrous, unsupported claim. People demonstrate you're wrong. You start insulting them and doubling down on ignorance.

56 minutes ago, Frostweaver said:

If you have an attack chain that can beat these builds, have at it. Until then, you are just nerding with mids and completely misunderstanding the result.

In this case, perhaps you could register even one valid criticism of the numbers I posted? This isn't complex stuff. Which numbers did I get wrong? What detail did I omit that changes the outcome?

I don't think it's too much to ask that you engage in actual debate rather than ad hominem attacks and appeals to authority.

As an aside, I'd argue that 'afk farming builds' are the only builds that matter. No one spends hours and hours in a Fire farm for fun. A build that can effectively clear the farm but which requires only a brief interaction every 5 minutes is generally far superior to one that requires constant play.

Edited by Hjarki

Someone has been fighting on political boards for far too long. I don't care about whatever debate crap you read on wikipedia this week. I just gave you a thread full of the top farming builds.

My criticism was your overarching statement that

14 hours ago, Hjarki said:

Which, since you never posted a valid attack chain that can exceed Brute's fury-fueled 'farming' attack chains, looks an AWFUL lot like either a lie, or a troll. Since calling you a Liar would be vastly more offensive, I chose the term 'trolling' which has far less emotional baggage attached.

To be honest, though, when you start throwing sperging Huffpo terms like 'ad hominem attacks' when I was questioning your motives rather than insulting your... underwear size or something, makes me far less inclined to use polite terms like 'trolling'.

You are spreading false or completely untested information, and using a screen of out-of-context and irrelevant mid's numbers in order to cover that fact up and make it look legitimate. You are IGNORING animation times and attack chains in favor of raw unbuilt numbers. It's like pointing at GM's spark plugs and claiming that because the spark plugs are a good brand, the entire care is faster than a ford.

You clearly have not driven a ford. Try it again when you actually have a real farming build.

15 minutes ago, Hjarki said:

In this case, perhaps you could register even one valid criticism of the numbers I posted? This isn't complex stuff. Which numbers did I get wrong? What detail did I omit that changes the outcome?

Yes, you are posting numbers in a vacuum. Which I have stated several times. Only stalkers care about one single attack in a vacuum, and that's only when they are building up to AS an EB. Everything else in the game uses attack chains, multiple powers working together. That's how farming works.