Best Combo to Explore - Foe Damage Mechanic?

Sailboat

Giving some thought to -dmg effects.  I'd like to try a character who exploits the effect.  Ideally, the character would also have very high resistance, to compound the effect, trivializing incoming damage as much as possible.

My first thought was a Shield/Kinetic Melee Tanker with Soul Mastery for Darkest night.  I kno you can get S/L resists quite high on a Shield Tanker with a lot of IO sets; I currently have one who is not 50 and has 74% S/L resistance.

But I am not familiar with every set and surely someone out there has an idea as good or better.

14 hours ago, Sailboat said:

Giving some thought to -dmg effects.  I'd like to try a character who exploits the effect.  Ideally, the character would also have very high resistance, to compound the effect, trivializing incoming damage as much as possible.

My first thought was a Shield/Kinetic Melee Tanker with Soul Mastery for Darkest night.  I kno you can get S/L resists quite high on a Shield Tanker with a lot of IO sets; I currently have one who is not 50 and has 74% S/L resistance.

But I am not familiar with every set and surely someone out there has an idea as good or better.

Ice Armor has -damage in Chilling Embrace. Make a Stalker/Scrapper and you'll have Icy Bastion maxing your resistances for 30 seconds on top of that with a one minute ish downtime.

I don't really think -damage achieves much though, but KM/Ice.

If you're looking to maximize -damage, you should look to also sprinkle in resistance debuffs. An enemy with a resistance to a damage type will resist damage debuffs of that type as well, so debuffing their resistance will effectively increase the impact of your damage debuffs.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, Bopper said:

If you're looking to maximize -damage, you should look to also sprinkle in resistance debuffs. An enemy with a resistance to a damage type will resist damage debuffs of that type as well, so debuffing their resistance will effectively increase the impact of your damage debuffs.

Would -resist also increase -dam if its negative?

21 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Would -resist also increase -dam if its negative?

I would assume so. There is a monster in PI that has -40% to smashing, i think. Might be worth a test.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Not the way you are thinking of it but....

Try a sturdy MasterMind in Bodyguard mode.  When Bobcat delivers an Eviscerate that makes a Scrapper run away squealing but a MM just takes a fraction of the damage....it’s a smug feeling.

Massive Resists are about the same as massive -Damage.

Edited by Crysis

On 5/21/2020 at 9:02 PM, Crysis said:

Not the way you are thinking of it but....

Try a sturdy MasterMind in Bodyguard mode.  When Bobcat delivers an Eviscerate that makes a Scrapper run away squealing but a MM just takes a fraction of the damage....it’s a smug feeling.

Massive Resists are about the same as massive -Damage.

Well sorta.

Masterminds get to divide damage after other mitigation which is awesome. Damage debuffs are another layer, that applies before resistances. 

So say you're  Mastermind with a -30% damage debuff on your target, 30% resistance on yourself. 100 damage will be debuffed to ~77 (100/1.3) [or 70 if it works more directly]. Then that amount would be resisted by 30% again to become 54~49 damage. The more of each you add up the stronger it gets too!

After those reduce the damage, you then divide it directly with your pets to take up to iirc 1/7th the amount.

Edited by Galaxy Brain

4 hours ago, Brutal Justice said:

Don't forget to pick up darkest night from the soul patron pool.  It’s something like -30% dam since the tanker buffs.  I run it with my lvl 49 ice/km tank built for the same purpose

Fantastic combo. 

• Thanks 1

For pure -damage I would probably pick dual pistols with toxic rounds, each attack will put -damage on them.

Then pair that with a debuff set that also does heavy -damage. Like Dark Miasma (Darkest Night, Twilight Grasp, Dark Servant.
Dark has the added bonus of also lowering their accuracy with its debuffs, meaning a lot of attacks would miss and whatever attacks got through would do a lot less damage. 
Defender has the advantage of having enhanced buffs/debuffs. 

But the MM ideas in this thread are very good too, if you are looking to lower damage more generally. 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone