Is it worth it to blow a ton of converters on a big sell?

Neogumbercules

I'm just starting to dip my toe into the market again. Back on live I used to just craft and sell. I think I used AE tickets and rolled bronze. I managed to cap out a couple of characters this way. Here on HC I've decided to do some converting. Right now I'm just using my brute to farm AE, taking every yellow recipe I get and crafting it, then using converters to convert into something valuable. I just kind of pray that I get a defense set or healing or something valuable along those lines and when it hits, I'll do an in-category conversion for something like LotG and then in-set conversion for the valuable proc or whatever.

I know I shouldn't be using level 50 recipes for this because of the 490k crafting cost but I'm really just screwing around at the moment.

I've noticed I end up converting a lot of IOs that sell for 1-2 million influence on average but I'm addicted to those big rolls and honestly converting is basically addicting like a slot-machine so I usually just keep rolling to hit BIG MONEY!

At some point I've spent more influence on converters than I'll make back from an IO so it's almost like a sunk-cost fallacy where I realize "Oh shit! Now I HAVE to way for that LotG proc just to make up my losses!"

Is this a wise course of action, or should I just dump the IO the second I get one in the 1-2 million range?

I definitely have to stop using level 50 recipes.... I know that for sure.

Make a chart for yourself.   Acceptable to sell on first convert, acceptable to sell on second, acceptable third, and so on.  At a certain point in your chart you,all reach "just sell it already."

• Like 1

If you think you are burning too many converters, then you probably are.  It depends on what you start with, but if you are using whatever yellow recipe drops (and yes, you are better off vendoring it and buying a lower level from the AH) then the rule of thumb I use is if I expect to get X or more from a sale, I'll sell it rather than convert it again.  Generally X ranges from 1.5 to 3mm depending on how saucy I am feeling.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

Thanks for the advice. It's a fun distraction from the usual and I'm enjoying pulling that slot lever. I'm curious how it will compare to doing AE. Usually on a full run of 5 maps on 125 I'll get about 25 million inf for about 15 mins of playing. That includes selling my recipes to the vendor and any orange salvage I can AH away. I can see how with some prep though I can use converters to flip uncommons into rares and then selectively target expensive items. 

My rule of thumb when flipping level 31 Set IO's is as soon as it hits something that will sell in a short time for 2 million or more then I throw it on the market.

When I am working up the bank for a character then I can do batches of 30 to 50 Enh at a time and usually end up at an average of just under 6 Converters per IO.

You can get lucky and get a high value IO after one or two flips and you will get that single IO that just does not want to convert to anything saleable.  But if you do a lot then it will average out.

The trick in my mind is whatever you do to get the Inf you need it has to be as fun as possible so that it seems as un-grindy as possible.

regards, Screwloose.

"I am not young enough to know everything."

• Like 2

One of the interesting things I'm noticing by purchasing level 31-40 uncommons like Nightmare or Essence of Curare is that they ALWAYS convert to a rare when I do an in-category converson, straight up to Glimpse of the Abyss or Ghost WIndow's Embrace. Same deal with other IOs like multi-strike. So I spend a single converter to get a guaranteed rare, then I use 2 converters to try and convert to something good. It's very easy to convert your way into a LotG or Miracle or somesuch.

I think I'll do AE farming for Converter money and this kind of marketeering for a while just to see what happens. It's pretty fun, and I'm providing tons of rare and desirable IOs to the market. I've made about 100 million influence since my last post...

Edited by Neogumbercules

Definitely that's how converters work.

If you convert a Hold to another Hold then it will change to another Hold of a different Set,  At level 31 and higher there are for many IOs only two sets, once Uncommon and one Rare.  So for a bunch of sets a level 31 Uncommon will always convert to a level 31 Rare.

That's the basic flipping strategy.  Level 31 Uncommon to Level 31 Rare then randomly among Level 31 Rares til you get a good one.

You can try for more focused strategy, like by taking your Defense IOs and flipping inside that until you get a Luck of the Gambler Global recharge.  Targeting a high value IO can mean you get a lot for that one sale but it takes a lot more Converters.

I did something similar with Impervium Psi Resistance and it worked, I got a profit, but it took a lot of resources and several weeks for them to sell to make that profit.

regards, Screwloose

"I am not young enough to know everything."

I'm up to 200 mil after starting at 0 yesterday. Not a bad day I guess. Who the heck is out there putting 15,000 bids on Lockdown +2 mag? 

Also who's buying up Lethargic Repose recipes for 60 million influence? I see you out there! 

It's funny, the activity you notice once you start paying attention. 

I've been thinking about buying uncommon healing sets but man those are farmed to extinction. 

This is a pretty fun mini game. 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:52 PM, Neogumbercules said:

Is this a wise course of action, or should I just dump the IO the second I get one in the 1-2 million range?

You'll probably make a tiny bit more money on average by going for the big sellers, but I'm far too lazy to spend the extra time rerolling the same enhancement multiple times. Usually I just convert something I know will make 1-2mil profit after one conversion very consistently to minimize the time I spend converting. My strategy is selling in bulk so typically in my (bi)weekly marketeering session I put up ~300 enhancements for sale, so anything that reduces the number of clunky conversions needed is good for me.

• Like 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

6 hours ago, DSorrow said:

You'll probably make a tiny bit more money on average by going for the big sellers, but I'm far too lazy to spend the extra time rerolling the same enhancement multiple times. Usually I just convert something I know will make 1-2mil profit after one conversion very consistently to minimize the time I spend converting. My strategy is selling in bulk so typically in my (bi)weekly marketeering session I put up ~300 enhancements for sale, so anything that reduces the number of clunky conversions needed is good for me.

That's my strategy.  If I roll something close to a big seller, I will go ahead and do the extra conversions, but I'm not going to roll 100 times to get a LOTG +Global Recharge.  Too much work for not enough reward.  

You'll also learn from experience.  Let's say you roll a Gift of the Ancients E/R.  If it's level 31, I'll probably reroll it by defense to get a LotG or a Reactive Defense.  If it's level 15, I'll probably try to sell it as is or possibly roll it once by set to get a more marketable piece, since the other defense sets available at lvl 15 aren't eyepopping.  And if you want to get tricky, sell your level 15 IO to another alt who buys it at lvl 25+ and roll it into a better defense piece.  It's a good complex system, and I really enjoy it.

Who run Bartertown?

I have been learning quite a bit as I go. I've been exclusively doing level 30s and I'm starting to see the patterns for what's worth doing and what's not. The starting IO is particularly important. If I can start with a multi-strike I'm fairly likely to get an Obliteration which I can intsantly sell off. If I start with some less desirable IO like a sleep it's automatically going to take more converters to roll it into a high selling set. Healing sets are like the golden ticket as many of those sets all have a good proc. Resist is good, and defense of course, too. I hadn't thought about up-leveling an IO to get it into a new category by selling it to a new alt. Do you tend to just list it at an extremely ridiculous price to make sure your alt will get it?

1 hour ago, Neogumbercules said:

I have been learning quite a bit as I go. I've been exclusively doing level 30s and I'm starting to see the patterns for what's worth doing and what's not. The starting IO is particularly important. If I can start with a multi-strike I'm fairly likely to get an Obliteration which I can intsantly sell off. If I start with some less desirable IO like a sleep it's automatically going to take more converters to roll it into a high selling set. Healing sets are like the golden ticket as many of those sets all have a good proc. Resist is good, and defense of course, too. I hadn't thought about up-leveling an IO to get it into a new category by selling it to a new alt. Do you tend to just list it at an extremely ridiculous price to make sure your alt will get it?

To your last question, absolutely not.  Any set of bids and offers is going to look like this 1111______0000 where 1s are buy orders and 0s are sell orders.  What you need to do is figure out a spot in the middle.  Concrete example:  lvl 15 res IOs get you Steadfast Protection/Impervious Skin/Reactive Armor/Impervium Armor.  They all sell pretty well, but Steadfast Protection is the best, and specifically the Res/Def is the best.  So I buy lots of lvl 15 reactive armor and impervium armor recipes.  I craft them and convert them by res dam.  If I get a steadfast protection, I usually convert by set to get the res/def.  If I get an impervious skin, the proc sells well, but the rest are meh and mostly valuable because you can convert them to steadfast protection at level 10, where there are only two res dam sets.  So when I build up 50-100 IOs of lvl 15 impervious skin IOs, I list them at just over 2mm.  Then I log onto another alt and bid on level 10 impervious skins at the exact level I was offering.  Since that's in the middle of the 1111_x__0000 I'm going to buy them.  Then, since there are only two res dam sets at level 10, I convert by category once to get a steadfast protection and then I'll generally convert by set to get the res/def.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 6/29/2020 at 3:49 AM, DSorrow said:

You'll probably make a tiny bit more money on average by going for the big sellers, but I'm far too lazy to spend the extra time rerolling the same enhancement multiple times. Usually I just convert something I know will make 1-2mil profit after one conversion very consistently to minimize the time I spend converting.

This is my approach as well. I definitely keep an eye on the Number for Sale vs. Outstanding Bids as well... there are several "good sets" (mostly rares, some uncommons) that look as if people dropped lots of pieces expecting to make bank, but the pieces aren't moving. Nobody is helping themselves by adding to a piece which has 700+ on the market but less than 100 bids.

Nothing wrong with 50s.  Just get rare first. Much easier to hit defense or resist sets from there. I convert 10s, 50s, and attuned. 10s are probably easiest since there are so few sets per category but I prefer to avoid salting my own earth by dumping excess amounts of the same 2-4 pieces on the market. Attuned are nice for variety but also randomly acquiring useful stuff for pre-50 alts. In-set converting gets a bit weird though. Sometimes you can fall into lower level ranges while in-set converting and never go back up.

I prefer stuff that reliably sells for 4 mill+. Usually at least triple my investment.

No idea why people bother with farms but I'm grateful there aren't more converters out there.

On 6/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, Neogumbercules said:

At volume, just sell the 2M +/-, there will be plenty of higher value converts that just happen.

Glad folks have explained how to be more targeted for better results. Specific recipes and level ranges do have a big impact on results.

Marketeer progression:

• Drops > Sell
  • Drops > Craft > Sell
  • Drops > Craft > Convert > Sell
  • Buy > Craft > Convert > Sell
  • Buy > Convert > Sell
  • Buy > Sell

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 6/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, Neogumbercules said:

I know I shouldn't be using level 50 recipes for this because of the 490k crafting cost but I'm really just screwing around at the moment.

Actually - if the level 50 recipes you're getting are from drops, or random rolls - you're fine using them. 

Here's why: 

If I want a level 20 Preventative Medicine Absorb Proc - you can list your level 50 absorb proc, and when I buy it, the AH puts all the level 20 through level 50 absorb procs in the same bucket, and I can actually get yours. The level 50 Absorb Proc you put in AH automatically changes to the level 20 absorb proc.  The only advantage in using the level 20 recipe is the cheaper crafting cost. 

This is why I buy level 10 pvp IO recipes - they are cheaper to craft than level 50 recipes. (like 5k compared to 500k) 

So don't sweat that. 

If the potential customer wants attuned, those are also coming out of the same bucket. So, if I'm level 24, want the Heal IO to go with the absorb proc, I can get it attuned, but it's in the same "bucket" as the level 50 crafted IO you put for sale. 

On 6/28/2020 at 11:23 PM, Neogumbercules said:

Also who's buying up Lethargic Repose recipes for 60 million influence? I see you out there! 

Occasionally, I will bid/pay an outrageous sum just to help some random stranger out. In this case, though, the 60 million pay wasn't mine. 

5 hours ago, Xanatos said:

Buy Red Fortune / Reactive Defenses IOs for 2.5mil

Convert them to the LOTG proc

Sell them for 7mil

~2mil profit per sale

You can also do the same (approach, not numbers) with:

Doctored Wounds -> Numina Proc

Efficacy Adaptor / Preemptive Optimization -> Performance Shifter Proc

I made billions a week selling just these three IOs, before I switched to AFK farming.

That's a good tip. Once I make some good bank with converting I am going to give this a try too. When I started this thread my character had about 70k or 90k influence, don't really remember. I spent what I had accumulated at that time on Winter IOs to get myself juuuust shy of the fire cap. I just need one more winter set and I'll be done with that.

Anyway, I just now hit half a billion. All I'm doing is buying uncommon recipes, farming to break up the monotony, and spending the 25ish million I get from a full run of 125 on converters. Convert and sell. So half a billion in less than a week. I like it.

• 1 month later

It depends on how you're funding your converter crafting. I am not an altaholic and only converter craft as a way to make money that takes alot less time overall than farming does. At the same time, I like TFs and merits just stack up if i don't spend them on something. So I get a bit wasteful with my converter crafting because I am using a resource that stacks up faster than I spend them thus being essentially unlimited and a few extra conversions for a bigger sale means I have to convert and craft fewer ios to make my income goals when I have some and it's well worth it to like seek to only post IOs that are worth 3 million or more. I use about 400 converters per 80 IOs listed on the market and am at this point at like 800 merits and climbing in my email so i need to go waste a bunch more converters sometime soon for money I don't need for alts I am not making lmao

• 1 month later

You dont craft level 50 ios unless you like blowing money. They run ~500k + mats to craft. Level 50 rares are the absolute worst, outside of pvp or purples. Converting? Why go for big ticket. Creative use of converters gets you something sellable for ~5 or 7 converts. The more converters you burn, the more that IO cost you. If you spend ~100k on a given craft + a few converts, even if you ONLY GET ~2 mil, you are massively up. Does it take longer? Yes. But unless you are swimming in merits from some other source, converters are a pretty hefty cost if you convert convert convert at 2 or 3 per attempt. You could spend up to 10 or more merits on converters due to a string of bad luck _in a single io set_.

Fox above is in line with what I am talking about. 5 converters per 80 ios gets you the 400 he has listed aove.