character name colors

d4verman

Just now, Blastit said:

Title colour can be changed at trainers, when you change your title. The UI for doing wasn't very good last time I worked with it, though. It's hard to consistently get a particular colour.

Thanks, I'll try it!

Isn't pink an RP warning sign? I don't know how to set it, though, I prefer stealth RP.

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

8 hours ago, d4verman said:

It didn't change anything for me. I must be doing it wrong.

For titles, you can tinker with the sliders, using the preview box while you do it.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Here are some samples of the name colours:

Regular (Blue)

image.png.752abc3050e240ef58ef3df322010ad9.png

This is default.

Team (Green)

image.png.613d6d5cfc2350228d17ec23a3509982.png

When you are a member of a Team, this will be the colour for your name.

Help Me! (Purple)

image.png.3e0f102109c7715be67b44f4739e49a0.png

Going in to the "Help" menu and selecting the "Help Me!" Option from there.

Helper (Yellow)

image.png.2210b7955462971b12cc1c60e8083762.png

Going in to the "Help" menu and selecting the "Helper" Option from there.

Roleplaying (Pink)

image.png.aacc68dbf50132376ff8fb1542190cfc.png

Typing the command "/roleplaying" or going in to the "Help" menu and selecting the "Roleplaying" Option from there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Here are some samples of the name colours:

What are the odds that doing so will make players "in the know" start asking to help you, ask for help, etc?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I think what they're asking is "how likely is someone to follow up on your tag." ie, if you're tagged Helper, how often will people ask you for help. If you're tagged Help Me!, how often will people offer to help. That kind of thing.

My experience has been a medium amount, I guess? But in my experience the tags don't encourage that much unsolicited interaction. They're more about letting other people know what kind of player you are.

For instance, most of my characters' default labels are Helper at this point. I'm not an encyclopedia on this game by any means, but I'm happy to do what I can where I can for people. I see it as more of a welcome mat on my front porch. People don't really come to me out of the blue, but I do it so people know I am available, I'll be engaged in the Help channel, and so on. Similarly, I don't see players with the Help Me! tag as necessarily wanting someone to DM them "what do you need help with?", but instead I just treat them as new players. If I'm teaming with them, I'll explain things a little more carefully to them, I'm more likely to keep an eye on them and hang back to support them if they're struggling, and so on. If someone's rocking RP, I'll be more likely to engage in some walk-up, I'll be more willing to be in character in missions, etc. It's less about what are people going to do, but more how people are going to think of you.

If, @WanderingAries, you're asking because you want a different color on your name but don't really want the association of the tag - I'd say you can go for it. It's not like there's any rules on how you have to behave with various tags. You should be ready for people treating you a bit differently depending on which tag you have up - in particular Roleplaying might get you the occasional walk-up, and you might get a raised eyebrow or two if you have Helper but don't want to help very much, but I really don't think anyone will call you out on it. And IMO just saying to someone who asks, "I have this tag because I like the color" is a perfectly valid explanation.

Edited by Crater Kate
  • Thanks 1