State of the Project - August 2020

Jimmy

16 minutes ago, MrFireBrand said:

With all due respect and if I can post this here without anyone bringing pitch forks. But is there anyway you can prove that you have been in talks with NCSoft? It's easy these days to just say "trust us!" while continued request for donations are being taken. It would be the same as holding your palm closed and telling others there's gold inside but you can't show them.. and they can only just trust its there, also known as blind faith that's being ran off the honor system. I hope you can see where I'm coming from without bringing the pitch forks. Like I said before, I can tell you I have five top of the line cars, three houses and a unicorn in the back named Gary.

If what you're saying is true, then that's fantastic news for the community. But it would be nice to see receipts of said conversations.

With the way NCSoft normally is about their products and names / logos being used, they would've shut this server down a long time ago if the Homecoming staff actually weren't making good progress with the talks. I'm very excited that you guys are somewhat allowed to keep the name and logo - even if it has to be changed to "homecoming: city of heroes", but you're basically still being able to keep the name and run the game, so this is amazing progress towards officially bringing it back, news that we've all been hoping for!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hikarikenzaki said:

The easy answer on this is that they can't show what they haven't finished yet.  They're not claiming to be official or authorized and won't do so until they can legally do so.  The don't ask for funds to play the game.  The only ask for the minimum to run the servers and then stop taking donations.  

This isn't Dragon's Prophet where there was someone running around claiming to be a licensed developer. 

That wasn't my question. My question was asking if there was any proof of said talks. Meaning to show that any form of communication has taken place.  That shouldn't be hard to show and doesn't require any form of legality too it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ozarlin said:

With the way NCSoft normally is about their products and names / logos being used, they would've shut this server down a long time ago if the Homecoming staff actually weren't making good progress with the talks. I'm very excited that you guys are somewhat allowed to keep the name and logo - even if it has to be changed to "homecoming: city of heroes", but you're basically still being able to keep the name and run the game, so this is amazing progress towards officially bringing it back, news that we've all been hoping for!

That's understandable on NCSoft. They don't have the best reputation in the gaming world. But with that being said other current servers are still in operation just like HC and haven't been shut down. Not sure why a simply request of proof of any form of communication is hard to ask for.

6 minutes ago, Arnabas said:

Looks cool. 

That one Freak with the lightbulb in his codpiece, though...

Observing closely, that’s actually the end of a Rikti Rifle that’s replaced his right arm

Behold my altitis

Webmistress Shelob - Crab Spider Soldier (50)

Bulldog Palmieri - AR/Devices Blaster (50)

Queen I - Elec/FF Controller (50)

Sir Bedrock - Fire/Stone Brute (50)

• Game Master
16 minutes ago, TheMultiVitamin said:

I love this news! Any update on whether we can start streaming again or not? All the same, much appreciated! As these talks progress it does make me wonder what will happen with the other COH offshoots though.

As of right now the policy on streaming hasn't changed. When it does Jimmy will make an announcement. Until that time, I'm afraid the ban is still in place. The admin team are very aware of the popularity of live streams, but at the moment it's still a no I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In before someone complains for no reason! (joking!)

Thank you so much for the update Jimmy! And thank you to the volunteer Homecoming staff, GMs, and development team. I appreciate the tease and I look forward to continuing to play this great game with this awesome community we've built.

Keep it up!

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• Game Master
1 minute ago, Darkneblade said:

Does launcher works on potato pc's ? Still on windows xp.

So far it seems to work fine. It's actually quite wonderful. I think there is an issue with XP and Win7 not showing the server status, but from what I can understand, being a not technical at all person, that's being looked at. Apart from that, there are a few small tweaks still to go but nothing launch breaking. Some of the GM's have tested it on win xp and win7, linux and mac. As well as win 10. Once it's ready for beta release to the wider public you can try to break it, but so far it seems pretty unbreakable 🙂 

• Like 1

• Retired Game Master

Every level of potato available to us is being thrown at it.  But, when the testing expands, I'm sure there will be levels of potato out there that we haven't thought possible.  Any and all potatoes will be put to the test that day, in the hopes that this thing is as bullet-proof as possible when it goes live.

Edited by GM Brax
  • Haha 9

4 minutes ago, GM Brax said:

We're throwing every level of potato available to us at it.  But, when the testing expands, I'm sure there will be levels of potato out there that we haven't thought possible.  Any and all potatoes will be put to the test that day, in the hopes that this thing is as bullet-proof as possible when it goes live.

Apple IIe support please and thank you.

• Haha 11

• Retired Game Master
7 minutes ago, TraumaTrain said:

Apple IIe support please and thank you.

Man, that is some LEGACY support alright.  I'm not in the development loop, so I can't speak for them.  But, that one might be a bridge too far. 😉

• Haha 7