Powersets and/or Archetypes not in the game?

Techwright

Swinging! (As in Spidey style).

i’m also totally on board with the whips and chains… So to speak 🙂

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

43 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

You'd need a lot more (and taller) ambient buildings to not have that blow verisimilitude to hell.

Actually, I've given that some thought over the years.  Webbing would incur Marvel's legal wrath, but what about an anti-gravity "grappling hook" attached to a hi-tech fiber?  It doesn't have to look like a hook: a small metal cylinder, perhaps.  Fire it forward, a-g hook goes to open-air distance, holds position, character swings, hook and wire retract as next hook and wire are launched.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Actually, I've given that some thought over the years.  Webbing would incur Marvel's legal wrath, but what about an anti-gravity "grappling hook" attached to a hi-tech fiber?  It doesn't have to look like a hook: a small metal cylinder, perhaps.  Fire it forward, a-g hook goes to open-air distance, holds position, character swings, hook and wire retract as next hook and wire are launched.

I would definitely prefer some kind of tech-looking thing as opposed to webbing. I defitinately would not want a huge actual grappling hook.  More like a mini-harpoon or something that launches and either sticks to or imbeds itself in the target, and releases on command.  And the rope / chain / tether would need to lengthen / retract intelligently, so you could use it from ground level, fire at a building, and have it retract to pull you up, OR, fire to another building, connect and NOT retract to let you swing. 

I'm thinking kind of like the Prawn's grappling arm in Subnautica.

That said, my understanding is that the engine and the way physics work in game would be semi-hostile to this. Is that a burden that cannot be overcome?  Who knows?  We can hope. Once upon a time power customization was "it simply cannot be done."  I will gladly be wowed. (just not WoW'd....).  That said, I do think it would be one of the more limiting travel powers.  Probably far less useful in navigating around than Super Jump. But, it would be Just Plain Awesome for several concepts

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Zot said:

You'd need a lot more (and taller) ambient buildings to not have that blow versimilitude to hell.

It’s a game with cyborgs, sorcerers, and people standing around draped in flames. And you’re worried about verisimilitude?

(I think that went out the window the first time I used Super Leap and “steered” my way between multiple buildings).

• Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Sorta like they handled it in CoL.

15 minutes ago, cranebump said:

It’s a game with cyborgs, sorcerers, and people standing around draped in flames. And you’re worried about verisimilitude?

(I think that went out the window the first time I used Super Leap and “steered” my way between multiple buildings).

gogo Mario Physics!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Player2 said:

Shields for sentinels.

Yes... but we’d likely lose out on DP and Beam (two handed).

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

6 hours ago, Rejolt said:

Yes... but we’d likely lose out on DP and Beam (two handed).

Shields on Sentinels would likely have to be mutually exclusive and lock out the following powersets:

For Weapon Customisation Slot conflicts:

• Dual Pistols
  • Archery
  • Ninja Tools Epic Pool (Level 35+)

For constant animation clipping issues: 

• Assault Rifle
  • Beam Rifle

And I imagine a bunch of the other blast sets would look quite ropey with a shield clipping through your face, notably Psychic Blast with it's high number of hand-to-head animations.

Edited by Aberrant

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

44 minutes ago, Aberrant said:

Shields on Sentinels would likely have to be mutually exclusive and lock out the following powersets:

For Weapon Customisation Slot conflicts:

• Dual Pistols
  • Archery
  • Ninja Tools Epic Pool (Level 35+)

For animation clipping issues: 

• Assault Rifle
  • Beam Rifle

And I imagine a bunch of the other blast sets would look quite ropey with a shield clipping through your face, notably Psychic Blast with it's high number of hand-to-head animations.

/imagines the headache of making it so only one-handed options for all powers are available.

EDIT: It would, however, be unbearably cool if the powers came from the shield... but again... animation creation headaches.

Edited by Rejolt

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

Of course we'd lose assault rifle, beam rifle, and dual pistols...  the same way shields exclude claws, dual blades, katana, staff fighting, spines, and titan weapons.

That's just the trade off for shields.  No special one-handed versions of those melee sets exist, so no need for one-handed versions of weapon blast sets.

Edited by Player2
(missed a few excluded sets)

Some sort of thrown-weapon ranged set is definitely missing, (daggers, darts, boomerangs, etc).  We have a touch of this in martial assault, or you could kind of count some of the claws or spines attacks, but there's still not a complete ranged set where you throw weapons.

A cloning or "multiple man" set;  You can kind of pull this off to a limited degree with the change to phantom army, but it's still only 1 power.

I'll echo what others have said regarding a chain/whip set as well.

Cheers!

On 12/10/2020 at 8:58 PM, cranebump said:

Sorta like they handled it in CoL.

Is CoL the abbreviation for Champions Online?  I've actually never see that, but then I don't follow CO (as I used to see it).  I did dabble in Champions Online years back, and I seem to recall that their swinging travel power fired lines into thin air.  That seemed stupid and immersion-breaking then and now.  But if you put something on the end, a small anti-grav pack for the naturals and techs, a glowing rune for the magic types, some biological bubble for the mutant and science-y types, then at least it doesn't look entirely ridiculous hanging in mid-air.

5 hours ago, Techwright said:

Is CoL the abbreviation for Champions Online?  I've actually never see that, but then I don't follow CO (as I used to see it).  I did dabble in Champions Online years back, and I seem to recall that their swinging travel power fired lines into thin air.  That seemed stupid and immersion-breaking then and now.  But if you put something on the end, a small anti-grav pack for the naturals and techs, a glowing rune for the magic types, some biological bubble for the mutant and science-y types, then at least it doesn't look entirely ridiculous hanging in mid-air.

Yes it was Champions. I ran a character or 2 with swinging. It was a nifty power to have. 

As for immersion breaking, well, how is an anthropomorphic cow running around with a beam rifle, or someone who can fly but uses tram to rush off to save the world, or 4 people leaping down into a sewer hole at the same time (instead of using the ladder, in turn), or those offices designed by Escher, or a supposed “superhero” named “Tittiesnhealz” (actually saw someone using this name) more immersive than an illogical strand of cable? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, biostem said:

Some sort of thrown-weapon ranged set is definitely missing, (daggers, darts, boomerangs, etc).  We have a touch of this in martial assault, or you could kind of count some of the claws or spines attacks, but there's still not a complete ranged set where you throw weapons.

A cloning or "multiple man" set;  You can kind of pull this off to a limited degree with the change to phantom army, but it's still only 1 power.

I'll echo what others have said regarding a chain/whip set as well.

Cheers!

I've been trying to think of more heroic MM sets, and this would make a great one 🙂

3 hours ago, gourdhead said:

I've been trying to think of more heroic MM sets, and this would make a great one 🙂

Well, a generic "superteam" MM primary would be a great start, IMO;  Have it where the T1s are kind of your front line fighters, T2s are ranged attackers, and T3 is support.  Basically, imagine 2 scrappers and a tank as your T1s, 2 blasters or possible defenders as your T2s, and a controller as your T3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Well, a generic "superteam" MM primary would be a great start, IMO;  Have it where the T1s are kind of your front line fighters, T2s are ranged attackers, and T3 is support.  Basically, imagine 2 scrappers and a tank as your T1s, 2 blasters or possible defenders as your T2s, and a controller as your T3.

I'd make the Tier 3 the melee fighter, the tier 1 ranged fighters and the tier 2 support.

This is, mostly, how the Mercs set is organized...and Thugs, if I'm not mistaken.

On 12/11/2020 at 1:34 AM, MTeague said:

That said, my understanding is that the engine and the way physics work in game would be semi-hostile to this. Is that a burden that cannot be overcome?  Who knows?  We can hope. Once upon a time power customization was "it simply cannot be done." 

I don't think that power customisation was ever said to be impossible because of any limitations of the engine.  It was deemed to be prohibitively expensive in terms of hours of work needed to make the changes, until someone developed a way to semi-automate the process.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 2:32 PM, biostem said:

I've wanted either a Longbow AT or a Ballista-ish Superhero MM that would likely be called "Longbow Trainer"