[Opinion Request] General Desk/Gaming/Movie Chair

WanderingAries

I'm in the midst of reorganizing the house including my room and the standalone computer/network room. That of course spawns the evil (?because money?) Amazon lists, overthinking, and wishing. The current list focus is a chair that can be used for sitting "at work", gaming, and movie watching. It's entirely possible that this will end up being bought in pairs or two separate chairs in the end, but for now lets assume it's all-in-one. I'm also looking at relevant accessories.

Requirements:

Spoiler

• High Back
    • After looking around, it seems I want something that basically wraps around me and big enough that I won't be hanging past it due to my (average) height.
  • Sturdy Construction
    • I don't want it falling apart just because I end up finding that I sit or lean a certain way in it. Most of the good ones seem to have a weight limit of 300 lbs+ and that makes me mentally equate it to surviving however I end up sitting in it.
  • Soft Surfaces
    • See the first requirement as it needs to not hurt because it lacks enough cushion between me and the rigid supports it needs. Most of the ones I've seen that are supposedly softest are the non-leather types.
  • Tilting Ability
    • Kinda obvious, it's like a car seat, it needs to be adjustable.
  • Dual-Point Mounted Arms
    • See the example for what I mean. After looking at so many and using office chairs, I don't trust the single point arm rests.
  • Easy to Roll
    • I probably won't be rolling much, but I don't wanna break a sweat doing so.
  • "Does it come in black?"
    • Need I say more? It's not my favorite color per say, but it's one of those things that I don't want it to be all bright colored and distract my eyes from what I'm trying to focus on. This is why I like my consoles being mostly black. Yes, my car is black. :p

Would be Nice-ments:

Spoiler

• Lumbar Pillow(s)
    • Probably the best thing to have so I'm not slouching as much. I've seen that some even vibrate/massage.
  • Pockets
    • Not sure how much I'd use it, but some have these side pockets for remotes and such.
  • Massage
    • Maybe a bit overboard and the fact that it'd need power probably kills the idea because of cords.
  • Speakers
    • One of those "eh, it'd be cool if they're good quality" situations. I used to play in the orchestra and apparently have that "musical ear" thing that makes even average quality MP3s and speakers the equivalent of nails on the chalkboard to me. BTW, JBL and Bose are high on the best consumer sound list IMHO. 😉 

Current Wish List:

Spoiler

So, what kind of stuff do You have and do you have any recommendations? Obviously, Links Please!

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

11 hours ago, Ura Hero said:

I have a Clutch Crank that is pretty comfy.  I was talked into buying it and I am glad I was.  Now that I am working from home, I sit in it all day long. 

https://usa.clutchchairz.com/crank/

Thanks for the input and I'll look into the site fully later, but the main page has a whole slew of chairs (pretty standard TBH) that fail the "Dual-Point Mounted Arms" requirement. Now that exists mostly because I'm afraid that a single pivot point will wear out faster. Granted, that's Very user specific, but how do they feel to you, failure wise?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

This is the one I LOVE above all I have ever had. The arms lift up and that leaves the sides open. It can lay all the way back be locked in whatever position is comfortable or it can rock. The padding is really thick and soft.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCBP7SB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

700727759_Gamingchair-cutout.thumb.png.1066a37dfebc8ae69f892d43ed60d90c.png

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

Thanks for the input and I'll look into the site fully later, but the main page has a whole slew of chairs (pretty standard TBH) that fail the "Dual-Point Mounted Arms" requirement. Now that exists mostly because I'm afraid that a single pivot point will wear out faster. Granted, that's Very user specific, but how do they feel to you, failure wise?

I've had this one for three years and it is going strong.  Haven't even needed to tighten anything yet.  I'm a fairly large guy that is admittedly overweight so I'm probably not the easiest on a chair. This is the first chair I have ever bought that I thought I got my money's worth.

Edited by Ura Hero

MyRig-10192019.thumb.jpg.31c198d2b0f66b9f49262ddd10ad26bc.jpg

I BELIEVE the tabletop is a Bekant (I've had it about 5 years now) tabletop with 4 Adils legs.
Getting a LITTLE slump in the center, but I could fix that with a 5th leg.
I actually have 2.  I just don't have space for the other table at the moment.

About $150 from Ikea, assembly is easy.

I also own an original Herman Miller Aeron chair.
They're expensive new.
I was able to trade my original with a slightly ripped seat in for reconditioning.  And they gave me a new chair built from parts for about $300.

Edited by Hyperstrike

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

@Hyperstrike

Hehehe, for a second I thought you were gonna talk about that solid wood chair I think I'm seeing. 😂

Edited by WanderingAries

15 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Yeah, that was just a placeholder until I was able to get the office chair over.

And then there's the wires...*ducks*

• Haha 1

Back on live when I was playing CoH far too much, and destroying $100 office chairs in 12 or less months, I invested in a Herman Miller Aeron.

I'm well past my 12 year warranty and no issues whatsoever, and I can sit in this chair all day long (which is good because like so many others, I work from home now).

My girlfriend debated, delayed, balked, and then after 3-years of going back and forth between wanting an Aeron or a Steelcase; she finally got an Aeron a couple months ago.

We both agree that any chair that has padding/cushions is destined to be uncomfortable in 1–2 years. A high-quality mesh/suspended chair (Herman Miller, Steelcase, etc.) is your best friend.

Quite fiddly to set-up and get perfect, but once you do you will tear the limbs off anyone who touches your precious adjustments. 😜

Edited by CFIndustries

@CFIndustries, huh, seems they sell lots of replacement part options at that too.

6 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

And then there's the wires...*ducks*

**SMACK!**

That was the power-on test of the system literally 15 minutes after I assembled it.
I have all my tie-downs and cable management in place now.

20 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

**SMACK!**

That was the power-on test of the system literally 15 minutes after I assembled it.
I have all my tie-downs and cable management in place now.

I second Herman Miller Aeron if you are okay spending a chunk of change.  I used Aerons at work a couple jobs ago and just bit the bullet and bought a refurb one just last month now that my job has decided to transition to permanent remote. They are very much not cheap but absolutely worth it.

15 hours ago, _Kai_ said:

I second Herman Miller Aeron if you are okay spending a chunk of change.  I used Aerons at work a couple jobs ago and just bit the bullet and bought a refurb one just last month now that my job has decided to transition to permanent remote. They are very much not cheap but absolutely worth it.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the "everyone goes home" thing. Granted, for now it's the best, but they've essentially closed our actual building for good.

12 hours ago, _Kai_ said:

I really thought I was going to hate working from home but it turns out I'm surprisingly better at it than I thought I would be!

It's all about time management and partitioning "work life" from "home time".

I work from home mostly (I have a few days I monitor a data center).

But when I moved my mom in with me, she figured I could just up and walk away for 30-60 minutes, no harm no foul.
Just because, I'd occasionally have a "dead" day.

I had to explain to her "When you went to work, how often did you just pick up, go home, do a load of laundry, then come back?
When you're being paid for your time at work, YOU ARE  AT WORK.  Whether you're busting your ass, or twiddling your thumbs.

For me its way more I feared the social isolation aspect, but with Teams for work, Discord available to talk to friends I don't feel isolated.  That might change once, well, everyone isn't doing social isolation, but for now it's alright.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:14 AM, _Kai_ said:

Herman Miller Aero (I don't know the name of the proper one or if this is it. The proper one) 

They have a new 'gaming' one too, but the real one... If your buns need to be seated for many hours a day pushing the buttons, it's a worthy investment. 

The old style lumbar support was better than the new one, and recommend you get the head rest attachment (to remember not to slouch!) 

Edited by honoroit

• 5 months later

For those who bother reading...

These were mostly budget decisions along with limitations for the dimensions in the room once I actually plotted that out.. These will likely have to be purchased gradually between now and summer. I still have flexibility with the side tables and there's bound to be more going into the area.

The Room as I see it becoming:

Spoiler

Now bear in mind I did this with a tablet (and fingers only) and the app's kinda limited in what it can show.

Screenshot_2021-03-31-22-47-12-1.thumb.png.a1700563a1df273f9778833ea3988148.png

Screenshot_2021-03-31-22-46-04-1.thumb.png.fb7ec8c30410ed336e588f190cbe46e9.png

I'm still unsure exactly How many monitors I want in the end as I have several pieces of tech that may need to connect to them. I'm even entertaining the idea of a HexDisplay mount The bulky wall cabinets are actually supposed to be those rubbermaid track shelving, so that's all open space. I may or may not use the side walls for that as well. The black things on the floor are UPS and CPU. The ones in the corner of the desks are the network equipment. The printer farthest left is an HP AIO. The printer on the side desk is actually a full sized Canon flatbed scanner. In the long term, I may not retain the two dressers shown, but they really need to go "somewhere" sooner than later once I do this, so I'm recycling as it were.

Screenshot_2021-04-06-19-23-49.thumb.png.4a3c3d41c324efd1f75f2f907aa5fd4b.png

Screenshot_2021-04-06-19-29-29.thumb.png.64749ea9131ea4f2ec6be1736fb6c05b.png

Screenshot_2021-04-06-19-23-17.thumb.png.7f011d1f0cf1971e38da1987e91da664.png

The "final decision" list of furniture and tech needed for purchase:

Spoiler

I've already got two of these monitors used for work because the 15s just didn't give enough screen space, but our work system may handle a 3rd monitor. My GTX 970 says it handles 4x HD displays and then the rig also has that iGPU/APU built into the 3770k (motherboard has plenty of ports). This is actually something I'd be curious to know if someone has a way to find it out. Also using the monitors will likely be the Apple M1 Mini and possibly the MBP as either an extra or double display setup since it's used for work at the Same time as the main rig. So as you can see, I'm not sure how many would be best TBH. AMZ Link

91wp1WWoxmL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.33f2a83687cc84c9fb1f0f7c422c4ae0.jpg

Gonna need at least one more UPS. There's nothing I can do about that as there's already one dedicated to the network and I'm looking to go pretty hard on the one that's aiming to support the main rig. I can't move the one I've got now because it's handling the gaming stuff, so I'll need one either way. I've bought maybe 4 of these now overall as they provide about as clean as you can get without a full scale Main line conditioner. AMZ Link

71mhftPO1dL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.0f8ecb69bace9b1ebc08f3edce47b592.jpg

This is the desk I ended up with in part because of its ability to handle the mount area necessary without modification (well, may need to put a plate underneath). I wanted something roughly 60" Wide x 30" High with a variable Depth since I may or may not use the mount (would save space on the desk TBH). I liked that this was basically a rectangle, has the full "mousepad" included in the price, and has those "looks more stable to me" T-Shaped legs that appear to be pretty sturdy. Headset and Cup holder may or may not get installed. AMZ Link

762034622_616H3dUVKL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.9bcf997c1fbf83bb5002a940c7c9acc8.jpg

61CpPPr2rOL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.ec57d173a5f1cae6e95fed2ff6a40308.jpg

The chair boiled down pretty quickly based on what we already talked about and (mostly) price. You'll notice it's pretty familiar if You've just read through the thread. I'm one of those who once I see something, I generally know if I'm going to like it and when I searched the first time, I also looked as if "I" were going to get one too. AMZ Link

61AsERStiQL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.95e4a09e079f373554738dfed946de83.jpg

1911099121_61nuEjTLrL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.5cedeb363603c1bc18e8545b4c341186.jpg

Can't have a chair on carpet without a solid mat and This thing has done well under dad's chair for 6+ months now with no dips or moving at all. AMZ Link

61D4cfIWfeL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.309464d6edd50bef45932d06ae0fd10c.jpg51u8CD0KHEL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.8c4620467d200f1228729b50c02ece3f.jpg

The "final few contestants" for the room furniture and tech wise:

Spoiler

The available areas to the left and right of where the desk is planned (so that it's not in the direct path of the Sun/AC) are roughly [40" L x 17" D x 30" H (left of and level with desk)] and [42" L x 18" D x 30" H (right of and level with desk)]. Due to the limited Depth, it was Really hard to find something I liked as I knew it was going to need to be used for storage and drawers wouldn't work. Most of what looked nice were too long or +/- on the depth by a lot. Height I can deal with somewhat as it would't be the end of the world to custom cut and place some planks on the carpet for them to stand on.

I found these and partially chose them because of the color resembling the overall furniture look I seem to like as well as the existing dressers that will likely be in use at first. They're not as deep as I'd like, but they're enough so that my scanner (12"x19" rough size) can fit on either side comfortably. Also, I'm able to purchase more than one to accommodate both walls. I could even "just barely" put two on the left of the desk. They're a little short though, so the plank idea came to mind when I finalized the concept. AMZ Link

81gBAPGYg4L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.90e7b06bf57b55c8de8ff5887d095ef7.jpg

71pKDCmiz0L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.8d8a77a93e4bf78c66fc77ac3f404575.jpg

These are pretty self-explanatory. Until I decide what I'm doing, I don't want to order any of them as of yet. Especially not when there's not a significant price variance.

AMZ Link

71Oo-0NgxOL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.e5e09d7aac97ee6d172cad84574a6012.jpg

AMZ Link

71y5yCshTaL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.55caa99dbe8fd4e06f1e71a7492b706a.jpg

AMZ Link

1541774883_61NsS-DjL._AC_SL1200_.thumb.jpg.8d5a6a44e382a0f9dbe7d1f9c500eef7.jpg

Final few for future upgrades: 

Spoiler

If I got rid of the dressers all together, then this is would be what I'd look into. The left area has a full 80" corner to door and there is most of the 42" on the right side (right of window) when opening the closet doors. Note: The first two would be replacing the dresser plus the 40" piece from above. The third would replace the taller dresser (right of window).

AMZ Link

1077845938_81cIFx16BL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.261c9f1e7e63e457cc9882f2361b8bb5.jpg

71z8iai2EoL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.7c410952635bb1e324578e42ef3c2a78.jpg

AMZ Link

1652532401_81jUNjyzCL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.43bd132a7225db64e7c82299c8ff722f.jpg

1395194481_71uo1otyJL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.9f7ea6df77721e337fe33f8583a968d2.jpg

AMZ Link

81HsQ3nOJ2L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.d402f6deed66800aa3091a1f8cdf2e69.jpg

710ZoWSIZGL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.51496f023f535eb3fd9b6a8c8bc54370.jpg