Not launching game

SuperPlyx

So the general feedback said to start a new thread for bugs. I am not sure it is a bug, most likely my own ineptitude but here goes.

I downloaded launcher with no problems, installed fine, it found I had City of Heroes already installed and asked if I wanted to copy data. I choose yes.

Next popup ask me to accept EULA I do, popup closes and nothing happens.

Tried running as Admin, did not seem to make a difference. 

I am running Windows 8 32 bit

I assume it is most likely a file address problem, does my City of install folder need a specific name? or location? Will it matter that Tequila is installed in my City of folder? 

• City Council
29 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

Will it matter that Tequila is installed in my City of folder? 

Yep - it needs to be in a new folder.

On 10/13/2020 at 6:27 PM, Number Six said:

Important note: HC Launcher uses a different file layout for the client install, reorganizing it to make it easier to manage. As a result, it cannot coexist with Tequila and must be installed to a different location. By default it attempts to locate existing files to avoid having to redownload them, as well as migrate user data. More information about the new layout is available in the technical deep dive post.

Could you try downloading the installer again, installing to a new location and then reporting back if you're still having issues?

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Ok, I removed Tequila from City install folder, redownloaded launcher and installed at C:\Homecoming  instead of default  C:\Games\homecoming

Still not working, same as before ,click accept and popup closes and nothing else happens.

My understanding is Tequila does not have a uninstaller, you simply delete the 4 files from the directory. Is this correct?

Edited by SuperPlyx

Hey Number Six! 

I see someone beat me to this.  Having the same problem as well.  I can send the launcher log and crash files to you fi you like.  I have uninstalled an reinstalled the client several times with the same result.

Edited by Ramp72

It s been a few days, @Pengy, @SuperPlyx, @Ramp72. Did you get it working?

I know I harp on it a bit, but check your AV and Firewall as this pinged both during my Win7 x64 install and it made things kinda stop for a bit until I toggled around to address it.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Again, did you install to a new location?
Or did you merely remove Tequila?
I don't think it's going to work right if you just try and shoehorn it into a pre-existing Tequila install directory.

Also, what's the location of the install folder?  (Full path please.)

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

@Hyperstrike While I appreciate the sentiment to help. Please read the whole thread ,I have already tried all the things you suggest.

At this point I am just going to wait to hear back from @Number Six , they have the log and crash files. Hopeful they will find the problem. There is no hurry and I am sure they are very busy with this already.

I tried installing Ubuntu, Wine, and Lutris -- not sure I did it right, but I tried to follow the instructions here, and I got pretty much identical results to my Windows 7 attempt.

edit: Posting from Ubuntu - I'll dual boot back to Windows so I can play.

edit 2: Redownloaded the latest launcher and it is now working in W7.

Edited by Pengy

Don't know why I didn't think to ask this sooner but , I have played on different servers using Tequila. Rebirth, Pleiadas, and Ouroboros. So in my CoH folder is folders for each of these servers accounts as well as .exe files for each server. So my question is these other files , exe, and folders what could be the problem with using the new launcher?

4 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

Don't know why I didn't think to ask this sooner but , I have played on different servers using Tequila. Rebirth, Pleiadas, and Ouroboros. So in my CoH folder is folders for each of these servers accounts as well as .exe files for each server. So my question is these other files , exe, and folders what could be the problem with using the new launcher?

Due to the nature (and my limited understanding) of the various servers, I'd suggest having them completely isolated from each other. Anything based on the same codebase likely won't have issues, but AFAIK that's the point of the different servers. Each has their own variation of the code at this point and odd things will likely happen. The new launcher being the exception because you're not (supposed to be) pointing to the old Tequila folder for it installation.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

5 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

pointing to the old Tequila folder

That's another thing I meant to mention. I never had a Tequila folder. I have always just had a CoH folder which had the game files as well as Tequila files in it. 

And yes I have deleted all the Tequila files from it (actually deleted all Tequila files on my pc trying to get new launcher to work) 

• Game Master
1 hour ago, SuperPlyx said:

That's another thing I meant to mention. I never had a Tequila folder. I have always just had a CoH folder which had the game files as well as Tequila files in it. 

And yes I have deleted all the Tequila files from it (actually deleted all Tequila files on my pc trying to get new launcher to work) 

That's the same thing we're referring to.  It doesn't have to be named "Tequila" but it does need to be the same folder Tequila sends game updates to land in.

HCLauncher and the given install location is considered a "portable app", so anything you install with Tequila shouldn't be affected, and Tequila in turn should not be affected by HCLauncher... You don't need to delete Tequila at all, but it's not hard to put it back. 

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• Game Master
On 10/25/2020 at 2:02 PM, Pengy said:

I tried installing Ubuntu, Wine, and Lutris -- not sure I did it right, but I tried to follow the instructions here, and I got pretty much identical results to my Windows 7 attempt.

edit: Posting from Ubuntu - I'll dual boot back to Windows so I can play.

You'll get better advice from this thread for Linux.  Let us know your system hardware and we can give pointers and tips.  

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• Game Master
3 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

Is my memory correct, didn't we used to use another launcher or something before Tequila? Could I have a file or something from that causing an issue?

For Homecoming?  Nope.

For the live service, City of Heroes had it's own patcher for the longest time, then the NCLauncher was released just before City of Heroes: Freedom was ready.  City of Heroes patcher was deprecated after a point (didn't work even if your account was current) then NCLauncher dropped CoH support after the game-that-was shutdown in 2012.

Edited by GM Tahquitz

I have the same issue, installed to a new location, with no tequila in it, when clicking the launcher it gets to the accept/reject the HUA and then nothing. This is on Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I've even tried installing it on different hard drives, but it's the same result regardless.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

So I recently acquired a new chip and SSD for my old tired pc. After installing both and upgrading to Windows 10. I downloaded new launcher to make a fresh install.

Unfortunately I hit the same problem as discussed here:

And after either clicking install or repair it will do it's thing and I will get the launcher asking me to accept TOS which I click accept and as before it closes and nothing happens.

SInce this is a fresh SSD and there is no CoH or Tequila stuff on this drive, as well as a fresh Windows install I wonder if this a hardware issue.

I am using a AMD Radeon hd 5570 video card