Energy assault changes.

Calzano

Just wondering what everyone thinks or the energy assault changes. I have a dark /energy dom and it seems like a buff to single target damage for me. I never actually took whirling hands so the changes do not effect me. My dom gets aoe from soul drain and dark obliteration epics. But this energy focus being able to proc immediately gives my Total focus a nice damage boost.

Edited by Calzano

5 hours ago, Calzano said:

Just wondering what everyone thinks or the energy assault changes. I have a dark /energy dom and it seems like a buff to single target damage for me. I never actually took whirling hands so the changes do not effect me. My dom gets aoe from soul drain and dark obliteration epics. But this energy focus being able to proc immediately gives my Total focus a nice damage boost.

Bad for me, Whirling was excellent. A bit too excellent sure but I'd have much preferred to keep my screenful of "NRG Release"s and just drop the bonus damage to 50-60%

3 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Bad for me, Whirling was excellent. A bit too excellent sure but I'd have much preferred to keep my screenful of "NRG Release"s and just drop the bonus damage to 50-60%

Yep, afraid the nerf to Whirling Hands went pretty much unnoticed among the turmoil for the travel powers suppression since those were on the "other powers" thread. I just wonder if that nerf was really necessary, was the old Whirling Hands THAT game breaking?

Edited by Nightmarer

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

Change to Whirling Hands.. does the instant recharge impact the use of procs?

• EnergyAssault_WhirlingHands.png.a7434511ffd7e0feed3c39753408be43.png Whirling Hands
    • No longer yields double damage with Energy Focus active
    • Instead it will instantly recharge the power

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

19 minutes ago, Troo said:

Change to Whirling Hands.. does the instant recharge impact the use of procs?

• EnergyAssault_WhirlingHands.png.a7434511ffd7e0feed3c39753408be43.png Whirling Hands
    • No longer yields double damage with Energy Focus active
    • Instead it will instantly recharge the power

It does not

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

That's a positive.

Thanks, I don't remember seeing an answer to that previously.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've tried it. It feels weaker than the previous version, but I think that's reasonable.

It still feels quite good... it's very useful with procs, and it puts out a good amount of stunning especially if slotted with a Fiery Orb.

The main weakness now is that activating it twice burns through Endurance more... TF, 2xWH, Terrify eats up a lot of Endurance. It does good AoE damage, though, so it's not fair to complain when other Doms have to pay normal price for their AoE damage.

Overall, it feels weaker because it was overbuffed previously, but compared to other Dom AoEs it's still pretty good because you don't have to reposition it. And you get good AoE for the price of only one power and 5 slots. I'd like to complain a bit just for appearances sake, but it looks reasonably balanced now.

Edit: and gaining no lockout on Energy Stored from Total Focus is really nice, too.

Edited by Coyote

6 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Edit: and gaining no lockout on Energy Stored from Total Focus is really nice, too.

That was a huge buff in itself, even if it was unintentional.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

It feels a lot smoother, the mechanic has been cleaned up just how I would have liked.

Whirling Hands got nerfed, but you get Energy Focus more often more reliably.

For Single Target damage, the changes are a straight buff with Power Burst getting the Focus buff more often.

Other than the big endurance drain from multiple WHs this has been a net positive imo, we just need to take time to adjust.

To me, the change could be thought of as a slight damage buff to whirling hands but at the expense of endurance cost and cast time.  Before the change, the double damage boost didn't boost proc damage.  So now that you have to activate the power twice, procs now have twice the amount of chance to fire.  So this means that any Interface or slotted procs can now hit twice as often.  

• Like 1

Yeah the change turned out just as I suspected.  The ST damage got a major boost with the no lockout feature which I could tell was going to benefit Power Burst and Bone Smasher.  What once was great fun with Whirling Hands is now back to mediocre. 

With the no lockout feature I can objectively say that Whirling Hands with being able to recharge in 5 seconds doing double damage at all times would be OP as all get out.  I feel they went the worst route with it to head off the brokenness it would have been by changing it to instant recharge, but what kind of benefit is that gimmick since most doms would have it recharge so fast already.  I rather they found a way to get it so that it does that great damage every 15 seconds so they'd have to raise the recharge quite a bit to compensate.  Based on a generous amount of recharge everyone would already be slotted for that'd mean Whirling would have to be like a base 45 second recharge but do that crunchy damage when you do use it.  That'd be a hard ask for any unslotted doms out there but it'd still be so much a more fun option than as is.  

All in all I can live with where Energy is at.  

• Like 2

i like the ST changes the whirling hands instant recharge should be entirely removed rather not have it be in the way the animation is too long for 2 casts enough to deal with a 2.53 in TF to set it up let alone two more 2.50 casts in a row ill live with it sure it's just not good since it gets in the way more then it is a benefit

Edited by PainX

• 2 weeks later
On 12/13/2020 at 5:37 PM, brasilgringo said:

Buehler?

I heard through the grapevine that the all being power tinkerer when the idea was floated by someone on their closed server with these other energy melee changes his response was not a chance in hell.  Reasonable response seeing how it'd be bs if one powerset in an AT would be able to take such a huge advantage over all of the other powersets of that class of a shared epic pool.  Yes there's fiery embrace and the fire pool but fast ET on one secondary of a dom would be hax.  It's already great damage as it is.