More Dynamic Characters

MsSmart

Hi:

When playing there is a lot of being sort off self paralyzed too long, when you shoot at something, you stay perfectly still as the graphics shows you preparing the attack, then you remain perfectly still as the attack travels from you to the target, and then you remain perfectly still when it finally reaches the target, and then you still remain perfectly still when you see the reaction of the target; in short that is a lot of standing, that simply does not make sense.

When talking to soldiers or even watching movies, what I described simply does not happen. The soldier some times do stop, take aim and fires, but never stays put right after they squeezed the trigger, they immediately duck for cover! Sometimes they shoot while running.

The sad part is this game does not allow for this reality to be simulated. Could it be possible to unlock the characters after they took the shot, I am ok with the in order to shoot you have to stay stationary (not quite realistic) but after that you can move right away. Also perhaps at a 25% accuracy penalty you could shoot on the move, and not remain stationary at all.

So what do you think?

Sue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsSmart said:

When playing there is a lot of being sort off self paralyzed too long, when you shoot at something, you stay perfectly still as the graphics shows you preparing the attack, then you remain perfectly still as the attack travels from you to the target, and then you remain perfectly still when it finally reaches the target, and then you still remain perfectly still when you see the reaction of the target; in short that is a lot of standing, that simply does not make sense.

Who plays this way?

Aside from a (Slow) SNipe attack..no attacks work this way. Sure, you will be rooted for teh animation duration, but NOTHING is stopping you moving as soon as it fires. Sure, movement suppression kicks in, but you are hardly stuck unable to move, as per your example. Even melee attacks, it is perfectly possible to jump away as you hit the button, so the attack animates and hits, while you are mid jump moving to another mob.

I think what you dont like is the movement supression..and again..nothing at all is forcing you to stay still after an attack animates.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 12:49 AM, Razor Cure said:

Who plays this way?

Aside from a (Slow) SNipe attack..no attacks work this way. Sure, you will be rooted for teh animation duration, but NOTHING is stopping you moving as soon as it fires. Sure, movement suppression kicks in, but you are hardly stuck unable to move, as per your example. Even melee attacks, it is perfectly possible to jump away as you hit the button, so the attack animates and hits, while you are mid jump moving to another mob.

I think what you dont like is the movement supression..and again..nothing at all is forcing you to stay still after an attack animates.

Yeah, even when I'm flying I can shoot, so I don't know what he's talking about. And "duck for cover"? He knows we're superheroes, right? Those who have to hide are the enemies that we hit.

Edited by captainstar

"Cover" isn't a thing the way this game is set up. If you see and can attack a target, when the tohit roll is rolled, it's going to hit (or miss) regardless of what the target does - whether it's you or an NPC.

This is probably best illustrated with, oh, any CoT cave and a ghost attacking you. Plenty of twists and turns - but their shot, if it's going to hit you, will turn as well and follow you. It's not because they're magic, it's because its already been determined to hit you (or miss you.) You can graphically "duck for cover" all you want, it just makes no real difference for any attacks already underway. (Breaking line of sight to get something to get closer does work.)

What you're describing is a first person shooter, basically.

Also, no, you're not rooted while your attack goes to the target. You are during the animation, sure... somewhat. You can even "joust" a target perfectly fine (I tend to do this fighting Protean, for instance, in Adair's arc. The animations go on while I'm in midair, jumping or flying past.)

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

36 minutes ago, Greycat said:

This is probably best illustrated with, oh, any CoT cave and a ghost attacking you. Plenty of twists and turns - but their shot, if it's going to hit you, will turn as well and follow you. It's not because they're magic, it's because its already been determined to hit you (or miss you.)

This isn't true for the single counterexample of snipe attacks -- snipes make a LoS check when you trigger the power, and again when the animation ends, and if you lose LoS on the target before the snipe goes off, it doesn't fire. Now, there are few enough mobs that have a snipe attack in the first place to make 'duck and cover' a worthwhile practice (the Nemesis tirailleurs, for example), but it could work in some cases.

Movies : Bad guys empty clips, never reloads

Movies : Good guys empty clips, reload

????

Most movies is spray and pray, sure the good guy will reload occasionally but in the action sequences you see someone with a revolver and count 7 shot; kills it and not meaning bullets hitting the target.  A .45 regardless of caliber; somehow the good guy can shoot 3-4 shots several times and by the time its down to 20 bullets you think 9mm? but he ducks and fires another adding to 25.  98% of the time, the bad guy never reloads and its almost always a machine gun of some kind; carbine, long gun, or uzi, its always full automatic.

How realistic are movies again ?

Also, like 90% of the bad guys are not realistic from Sky Raider teleporting to Hamidon jelly shots to CoT ghosts.  Like, how do you realisticly animate that compared to a Skulls/Hellions that just use physical weapons?

Edited by Outrider_01

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

10 hours ago, MsSmart said:

Oh yeah, forgot about you guys...

The game is perfectly dynamic

No, it's not, but what you are describing is an FPS, not an oldschool MMORPG. If an animation/rooting time of 1-2 seconds is too long for you you're playing the wrong game, maybe even the wrong genre. (I'm not familiar with current MMORPGs)

I would also vastly vastly prefered if animation lock never happened when you're doing something.  I think the game is shackled to the old city of heroes engine and some things cannot be changed, but I LOVE the powers that arn't. the ones you can mash while running and no slow down happens.

i certainly know it's not this game, but i've played an mmo where you could ALWAYS move while casting anything and your characters little arms do the things, while the legs do the thing and it was very smooth and felt amazing.

it's kind of painful on fights like battlte maiden where you push your big attack, and then the lasers start and you cannot escape before you die. being able to smoothly move away would be great.

A nice mix of rooted and non rooted powers provide a path to really learn situational aspects of a character.

The current AoE meta takes a little of that away because it moves so fast with so little risk.

I'd love to see characters be able to actually dodge attacks, but that just isn't realistic for CoX at this time.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Animation time is part of the game balance and having to wait for the ability to fire off, before you can move, is just part of the game design.  More damaging powers and/or those with potent secondary effects typically take longer to animate.  Less damaging ones fire quickly, so you can attack rapidly by way of compensation.

You can break line of sight by running around a corner or behind certain objects.  Other than that, there's no dodging in the game (except what is inherently provided by your defense rating).

These things aren't everyone's cup of tea.  It they're not your cup of tea, it may be time to look for a new game.  Maybe try a set like Savage Melee before you give up on it, altogether, though.

• Thanks 1

OP, you're asking for an entirely new/different engine and type of gameplay - for the (volunteer) dev team to rebuild the game from the ground up.

I will be charitable and assume that you had no idea of the actual scope of your request.

Edited by Megajoule
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1