All Scrappers must have Taunt Auras

Purrfekshawn

A lot of toggles for Scrappers can draw aggro but not all of them have actual Taunt functionality. It helps them to hold aggro in a pinch but it's likely they will have a tougher time doing so.

There are a few outliers to this, some powers do taunt nearby foes, but they are intended to be the exception, not the norm.

Scrappers were never meant to be on par with Tankers and Brutes when it comes to handling mobs, their role is not unlike Blasters; raw DPS, and I think changing that would mean the value of both Scrappers and Brutes would diminish.

They each have their roles to play, that's the point... This is a MMORPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AerialAssault said:

You're right. The following sets & powers in Scrapper Secondaries have a Taunt element:

• Bio Armour: Evolving Armour
  • Invulnerability: Invincibility
  • Radiation Armour: Beta Decay
  • Shield Defence: Against All Odds
  • Willpower: Rise to the Challenge

Notably, these are sets & powers which function better when enemies remain close. I could buy the argument that Fiery Aura's Burn, or Energy Aura's Energy Drain could have a small Taunt element. But not all sets need a Taunt element. For example, Regen & Super Reflexes are both sets where, generally, you don't want to be drawing any more attention than necessary. 

Have to admit there is actually one scrapper armor set that I enjoy playing that doesn't have a taunt aura and that is Ninjitsu.  It makes sense since it turns a scraper into a quasi stalker and it'd mess up its special crit from hide mechanic.  It also has a significant +spd power so runners are easier to chase down.  It also helps that the only other way to play it is on a stalker and the stalker version is...different.  That's the one set I'd argue against a taunt aura.

Just gave me another idea, could just give all scrappers a +spd bonus as part of their inherent and that could be part of their make-up, they are the ones able to best chase things down to murder...I mean defeat....them. 😁  Yes, I know some powersets already have that, but this could just add to it.  It'd be fun without being overpowering imo.

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 4:34 PM, Purrfekshawn said:

Brutes don't have access to Weapon Mastery Epic pool, nuff said! 

You can't always get what you want.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I just wanted to chime in and say that people keep assuming a Brute's 90% res cap magically reached they cap with little to no sacrifices (not counting buffs). Then they go on to say that scrappers are inferior because of it

This isn't true, it's pretty challenging to have a brute get 90% caps just through IOs and armor powers without making big sacrifices i.e. defense/rech/etc...  Why don't i count buffs? Because they are so rare lol. There are a lot of sets that give res buffs, but in my experience, they pop it for themselves (nature affinity), they forget to even buff the team, or there isn't a res buffer at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Honestly, @Captain Powerhousecould take those Taunt auras from Scrappers, swap them out for the Sentinel equivalents and call it a day.

@Captain Powerhouse could alter enemies' AI so they start to run away from you once they see you, as well as altering their speed so they run away from u at 92.5 mph. And call it a day. AND THEN CALL IT A GAME.

• Thanks 1

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

56 minutes ago, Purrfekshawn said:

@Captain Powerhouse could alter enemies' AI so they start to run away from you once they see you, as well as altering their speed so they run away from u at 92.5 mph. And call it a day. AND THEN CALL IT A GAME.

Honestly, that would be hilarious on a couple missions designed for it. Spend a whole arc beating on this group and the last mission is just finding and clicking a glowie while they all run in pant wetting terror knowing nothing they've done so far has so much as provided a speed bump. 

• Thanks 1

bad guys running is working as intended. 

If Joe, Bob, Fred, Ted, John, Nick, Rick, Don, Ralph, Frank, Jack, Pete, Mike, Will,  Ed and Paul got their asses handed to them in no particular order due to taunt cap....

I would be running like hell so I wasn't #17 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

9 hours ago, Purrfekshawn said:

He could also close the server off to the public and tell everyone that's part of the game too.

Thank god he doesn't do that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

bad guys running is working as intended. 

If Joe, Bob, Fred, Ted, John, Nick, Rick, Don, Ralph, Frank, Jack, Pete, Mike, Will,  Ed and Paul got their asses handed to them in no particular order due to taunt cap....

I would be running like hell so I wasn't #17 

Unironically this.

In most MMOs, enemies fight to the death, even if it isn't in character for them to do so i.e. the criminal who is "only in it for the money" but is going to fight the player character to the death.

There is a great book called The Monsters Know What They're Doing by Keith Ammann. While this does concern Dungeons & Dragons, a lot of the theories can be used in any kind of RPG. Generally, mortal and sentient beings are not going to want to stick around and get killed, captured or worse. The only time they would is if they are compelled (magically or otherwise) or cornered.

Hell, you don't even have to look at Dungeons & Dragons; look at real life! If you have a gun, and this guy has a sword, you're probably going to want to put some distance between you and them so you can use your weapon more effectively. Retreat & re-engage is a perfectly valid tactic in most circumstances. Is this annoying to face? Yeah, that's kinda the point. The enemy doesn't want to play by your rules, it also wants to win. This is a great advert to hire a Controller or Dominator who can prevent enemies from running away.

In any case, I have an idea that could satisfy mostly everyone: When enemies retreat far enough away, and haven't been attacked for long enough, they 'escape'. Effectively they're defeated, but you receive less XP & Inf if they do. Not even sure how or if this could work, but it's called Suggestions for a reason.

• Like 2

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

6 hours ago, AerialAssault said:

In any case, I have an idea that could satisfy mostly everyone: When enemies retreat far enough away, and haven't been attacked for long enough, they 'escape'. Effectively they're defeated, but you receive less XP & Inf if they do. Not even sure how or if this could work, but it's called Suggestions for a reason.

That could work, though an alternate suggestion would be after a long enough period they try to walk back, and if they can't they just warp back (to combat them getting stuck in walls). After the second time walking back they start running a shorter distance and more slowly as their legs get tired or their jet-pack runs low on fuel or whatever. So absolute worst case scenario they run off 6 times and then next time you try to fight them they're just "I'm exhausted, I'm just going to stand, fight and hope you're as tired as I am".

Would still be annoying and make you want to come up with ways to stop them from running whether through creative use of your own abilities or teaming with someone who can stop them, but would stop the problem of stuff running across the map every time they see you on defeat all's that some here seem to be having.

• 3 years later
On 12/30/2020 at 5:02 AM, Haijinx said:

Kheld Dwarf Form should have a Taunt Aura built in

Absolutely! Also it seems l saw at City of Data that Warshade misses Taunt component in its Dwarf AoE Attack (Peacebringer, however, has a taunt on it).

• Thumbs Up 1

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

On 12/29/2020 at 11:29 PM, AerialAssault said:

If some guy just turned five of my friends into a meat smoothie with one swing of their claws, you can guarantee i'm going to high tail it the hell outta there.

Most real comment in this thread.  Scrapper at or near the dmg cap, procs Crit Strikes off of Follow Up, then hits 5-10 enemies for literally THOUSANDS of total damage and one-shots several of them...

I flee.

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."