Jan. 23rd - Color Theory theme costume contest!

GM Kaiju

• Lead Game Master

🔴🟠🟡 COLOR THEORY! 🟢🔵🟣

For this month's contest, the theme is Color Theory! (or Colour Theory for our friends across the pond!)

Design your costume to portray one main color as its theme. Different shades of your color are fine, as are very minor accent colors or unalterable portions of your costume pieces, as long as your costume shouts RED, BLUE, or whatever color you choose!

When?

• January 23rd @9pm UTC
  • 9pm UTC is:
    • 9pm UK time
    • 4pm Eastern time
    • 1pm Pacific time
    • 10pm Central European time
    • Click here to see 9pm UTC in your timezone

Where?

• Statesman Plaza in the center of Kallisti Wharf on all five shards (Torchbearer, Excelsior, Reunion, Indomitable and Everlasting)
    • Heroes can reach Kallisti Wharf via the tram
    • Villains can reach Kallisti Wharf via the Smuggler’s Submarine in Sharkhead Isle and Grandville

Prizes?

• The 4 runner-up costumes on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Color Theory Costume Contest Runner-Up
    • The Fashion Victim Badge 
    • 150 reward merits
  • The best costume on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Color Theory Costume Contest Finalist 
    • 300 reward merits
  • The single best overall costume will win: 
    • A permanent golden title: Color Theory Costume Contest Winner
    • 1000 reward merits

Costume manipulation wont be considered legitimate in costume contests. Any costume manipulation will be disqualified. It is an issue that will be fixed and isn't allowed on HC.

Also please note that costume contest judging is subjective and everyone's tastes are different. Please be kind to our GM's who volunteer their time to keep these servers running as smooth as possible. If you have any issues, please contact me here or on discord! 

Edited by GM Kaiju
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Arcanum pinned and featured this topic
5 hours ago, DarkWings said:

Ccolor Theory... As in complementary, analogous, Triadic, etcetera etcetera colors? Time to take out that elementary color wheel then! Oh yea this page on the wiki should help.

Despite the title of the contest, it looks like they want you to focus on one color. Although complementary, triadic and other colors can be added as a minor accent.

That being said, I did not know this page on the wiki existed and I am happy that you led me to it.

• Like 2

• Lead Game Master
On 1/10/2021 at 6:57 PM, The Peacock said:

Despite the title of the contest, it looks like they want you to focus on one color.

That's correct! The costumes can be one or more shades of your chosen one color. So if you chose Yellow, you could incorporate bright yellow, golden yellow, dark brownish yellow, etc. Any accent colors should be VERY minor, there for added creativity, and to enhance your main color. 

Edited by GM Kaiju
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... I don't know if I'm psychologically capable of making a costume that qualifies.  Single-color costumes (even with different shades) tend to look really, really boring/ugly to me.  I checked through my characters yesterday and I have one that would maybe qualify for this.

... talk about a challenge... 😄 

Edited by Shocktacular
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, The Peacock said:

Yeah, I feel the exact same way. And like you, I recognize that this might be a real challenge. I'm curious to see how people make it work. 

A challenge yes.  But a welcomed one.

I figure I would just make a new one based on a build I'd like to try out.

• Like 1

• Lead Game Master

For skin and hair, as long as they are normal human shades then yes they don't break your theme. If they are colors other than a shade of your theme, then they fall under the accent color guidelines.

Edited by GM Kaiju
  • Thanks 1

• Lead Game Master

Please reserve black and white for their respective themes or minor accents. Most colors have very light and very dark shades that should work as the ends of their spectrum. 

Edited by GM Kaiju

On 1/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, Tacheyon said:

I am assuming that B&W grey scale is out of contention?  As we already had that contest a few months ago.

18 hours ago, GM Kaiju said:

Please reserve black and white for their respective themes or minor accents. Most colors have very light and very dark shades that should work as the ends of their spectrum. 

Ah ok. Perhaps sepia might serve as an alternative?

Edited by Herotu

On 1/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, GM Kaiju said:

Most colors have very light and very dark shades that should work as the ends of their spectrum

Quick question:  Are you considering an entire row in the costume creator to be of the same color?  Especially if you're including costume pieces that glow, the difference between the darkest shade in a row and the glowing lightest/brightest can make them look like completely different colors.  Thank you for your time!

21 hours ago, GM Kaiju said:

GM Korvin suggested the link below as guidance. The "Monochromatic" option of the color wheel is what we are going for. Any non-theme color should be a very small element (belt, eyes, lapel symbol, etc.) or a non-editable portion of a costume piece.

https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

On 1/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, GM Kaiju said:

So, is white OK as a main color? It's not on the wheel.

• Lead Game Master

Hi everyone! Lots of questions so hopefully I can help explain. You can choose color hues from different rows on the costume creator as long as you can look at the costume and instantly understand what the single color theme is, and without a secondary color confusing that theme. 

To help illustrate, here are several examples from our past costume contests that happen to work for this contest. I’m not saying these are guaranteed winners, but just that they fit the color theory theme:

image.jpeg.9013e9e14ed9369fc49a69812b45bbb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf84f07937be74137efb3983e56d3745.jpeg

The one below is a good example of a minor accent color, with the red glow on a black theme:

image.thumb.jpeg.774052d8c1eb079b01d83107054cd775.jpeg

image.jpeg.dd03f8df1dc7fe472196ce50ccee94f1.jpeg

This one is hard to see, but assume it’s all shades of blue with no true black used:

image.thumb.jpeg.0e1c6353044e9d95aaacd92794848f8b.jpeg

Another good example of a minor accent color:

image.thumb.jpeg.b57197c754f19fa8a7841992b3e20cd7.jpeg

Hope this helps!

Edited by GM Kaiju
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later