"The events here seem beneath your notice."

Ultimo

8 hours ago, iBot said:

I wonder how difficult it would be to generate radio missions that auto exemplar the toon to the max level for that zone.  Task forces already do this.  Ouro already does this.  I would think that the radio missions could be made to do the same.  Upscale would then not be necessary and you would still earn XP just as you do when you exempt down to run an ouro arc or TF.  That way someone like the OP can run their entire career in their favorite zone fighting the same mobs over and over as they see fit without any major need for level 50 skulls.

It would be even greater if you could do bank missions this way!  Yes, i know the bank contact.  Opening that contact up makes remembering to stop every 5 levels to do banking seem easy lol.  Having an auto-exemp paper and banking option would be splendiferous

16 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

This argument has been made before.  Ultimately it boils down to "This is still a video game and there are rules for such things." 

It's funny that you can do Tips in any zone and get missions equal to your level.  I don't know which came first, and why the second didn't get level/zone locked.

28 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

It's funny that you can do Tips in any zone and get missions equal to your level.  I don't know which came first, and why the second didn't get level/zone locked.

Radios/Papers came first by a long shot.  But to your point, if it can be done with Tips, I don't see why it can't be done with Radios.

What this team needs is more Defenders

Again, turning off xp means I never get to leave that zone for any reason.... never get to gain new powers, never get to do higher level taskforces, never get to do most of the game.  And if I turn on the xp gains so I do get access to the rest of the game, it means I can never go BACK to King's Row.

Once Batman has fought Darkseid, does he never go back to Gotham?

• Like 1

I'm confused.

Can't you get what you want by teaming with a leader who is in the appropriate level range? I have a friend I like to team with who runs lower level missions all the time, and when I join I'm sidekicked down, sort of like the old days.

(You actually get powers a level or so higher than your current level, so it feels more super.)

Also, once Darkseid had fought Batman how does he ever go back to fighting Mister Miracle?

Anyway, props on the character commitment, and best of luck!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

16 hours ago, Ultimo said:

This suggests an alternative, that we be allowed to "sidekick" ourselves to whatever level we want (only lower levels).  I thought simply letting us do the radio missions would be simpler.

huh?

I said find other players to team with that are the appropriate level, team with them, and run their radio missions in the zone you want to run radio missions in.

That is already part of the game.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Ultimo said:

Again, turning off xp means I never get to leave that zone for any reason.... never get to gain new powers, never get to do higher level taskforces, never get to do most of the game.  And if I turn on the xp gains so I do get access to the rest of the game, it means I can never go BACK to King's Row.

You are paddling has hard as you can, but they river is going the other way.

Make and alt and stick them in Kings Row and lock the xp and play that character when you have to do a Kings Row radio mission.

Use your other characters to level up.

You can make 1000 of the per server.

I remember this one guy that had a hard time getting across Atlas Park to do a missions because all of the purse snatchers along the way. He had to stop and fight everyone he saw along the route to a mission.  He was somewhat heart-broken when I told him to stop fighting the purse snatchers so we could run a door mission.

I guess in terms of that might make sense "Why don't you go fight someone your own size?"

You might as well be saying, "I want to be able to run level 1-10 missions in Atlas when I'm level 50. The bad guys should scale in the missions to met my level".

Edited by UltraAlt

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

Radios/Papers came first by a long shot.  But to your point, if it can be done with Tips, I don't see why it can't be done with Radios.

We have two different kind of things going on.

Radio/newspaper missions were an alternate leveling route, but, with the badges and temp powers, they were a lure to get higher level characters to join lower level characters in doing their (the lower level) missions. The zone you are in when you pull the mission affects the safeguard/bank mission you get.  The higher level the more complicated that safeguard/bank mission becomes.

The Tips are for alignment changes.

11 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

The higher level the more complicated that safeguard/bank mission becomes.

Does it really though? Every bank mission I've done is "Get to the bank, defeat a boss and some minions."  What are the more complicated missions?

I haven't done every side mission at every level, but most of them seemed to be "Go into a building and defeat some mobs" or "Go into a building, defeat some mobs and click some glowies." Are those the missions that become more complicated?

On 1/20/2021 at 10:46 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Thank goodness that the Council show up in every level range!

Punching Nazis is never beneath my notice.

If they had badges for our characters' 100,000th, 500,000th, and 1,000,000th Warwolf/Vampire defeated, I would probably have all of those badges on multiple characters. 

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 1/20/2021 at 3:20 AM, Ultimo said:

The reason for this is simply a matter of personal preference and RP.  For example, I have a character who is a "street level" hero, based in King's Row.  It's like Batman being in the dingy, grungy Gotham City.  The problem is that not only has he outleveled the street thugs, but he can't even do RADIO missions, which would scale to his level.

I suggest this character "roleplay" himself to get an apartment in Brickstown, and then he can fight the "street level" prisoners breaking out from the Zig (almost) anytime he feels like it.

I wonder if it would be possible to have scanner/paper missions work more like the Tips?  

As mentioned already, you can do any level range of tips in any zone. They're independent of each other. 

If scanner missions could be constructed the same way... say, based on the character's level rather than the zone's... you could do your level 50 Council, or Malta, or Carnie, or *whatever* scanners ANYWHERE, which would solve both the "Skulls are silly at 50" faction problem AND the "Why can I only get scanners in Zone X when I'm Level Y?" issue. 

'No clue if that would be possible with City's tangled mess that passes for code, though...  

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

17 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

huh?

I said find other players to team with that are the appropriate level, team with them, and run their radio missions in the zone you want to run radio missions in.

That is already part of the game.

I solo most of the time.  I don't want my ability to play to be contingent on someone else's allowing me to do so.

17 hours ago, Ultimo said:

I solo most of the time.  I don't want my ability to play to be contingent on someone else's allowing me to do so.

Then you are out of luck.

The entire City of Heroes system is based around teaming up with other players.

Playing solo is the anomaly.

Edited by UltraAlt

On 1/21/2021 at 10:47 AM, ninja surprise said:

Does it really though? Every bank mission I've done is "Get to the bank, defeat a boss and some minions."  What are the more complicated missions?

I haven't done every side mission at every level, but most of them seemed to be "Go into a building and defeat some mobs" or "Go into a building, defeat some mobs and click some glowies." Are those the missions that become more complicated?

Instanced Map Levels Active Side Missions Completion Temp Power Patrolling Enemy Group Vandal/Key Enemy Group Contacts In
Atlas Park 5 - 10 2 Raptor Pack (Flight) Hellions Vahzilok Kings Row
Kings Row 10 - 15 2 Zero-G Pack (Super Jump) Clockwork Skulls Kings Row or Skyway City or Steel Canyon
Skyway City 15 - 20 2 Resuscitation (Self Resurrect) Trolls The Lost Skyway City or Steel Canyon or Faultline
Steel Canyon 20 - 25 3 Summon Teammates (Group Recall) Tsoo Arachnos/The Family Faultline or Talos Island or Independence Port
Independence Port 25 - 30 3 Movement Increase Council The Family Talos Island or Independence Port
Talos Island 30 - 35 4 Endurance Increase Arachnos Tsoo Brickstown or Founders' Falls
Brickstown 35 - 40 4 Health Increase Council Nemesis Brickstown or Founders' Falls
Founders' Falls 40 - 45 5 Life Insurance Crey Council Peregrine Island
Peregrine Island 45 - 50 5 Regeneration Increase Malta Operatives Carnival of Shadows Peregrine Island

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Safeguard_Mission

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Then you are out of luck.

The entire City of Heroes system is based around teaming up with other players.

Playing solo is the anomaly.

CoH has always had a strong solo component and is one of the most soloable MMOs I've ever played. There are aspects that are certainly geared to teaming, but CoH was designed for much of it to be soloable as well. That is one of the things that makes this same so great; it caters to a variety of playstyles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, nightroarer said:

CoH has always had a strong solo component and is one of the most soloable MMOs I've ever played. There are aspects that are certainly geared to teaming, but CoH was designed for much of it to be soloable as well. That is one of the things that makes this same so great; it caters to a variety of playstyles.

I didn't say that there weren't aspects for those that want to solo, but the game was designed for teaming ... teaming on a level above many other games due to the mechanics of raising characters on a team up and down in level depending on who has the star and whose mission the team is on.

Soloing puts you outside of all of this. The game is not centered around soloing.

Play it how you like, but you will have disadvantages if you solo that are build upon the fact the game is built on characters working together as a team.

You can play how you like on a team as well, but if everyone is doing their own thing and not working for the good of the team, then the whole team will not perform as well as  team that is organized and works to achieve goals as a team.

That is where the OP is now. 

There is a way to get to where they want to go, but they refuse to take the path.

The OP thinks that the game should be changed to cater to them, rather than playing the game as it was intended  and, thus, achieve the goal that they want to achieve. - at least as far as I can tell, the original goal was to keep playing Kings Row radio missions ad nauseam. I didn't see anything in the original post that the goal was to solo radio missions in Kings Row.

For soloing, i'm still going with, make another character and turn of their XP when you get to a level below the cap in Kings Row and play that character when you want to solo Kings Row bank missions.  

It's just more wine and cheese at this point.

21 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I didn't say that there weren't aspects for those that want to solo, but the game was designed for teaming ... teaming on a level above many other games due to the mechanics of raising characters on a team up and down in level depending on who has the star and whose mission the team is on.

Soloing puts you outside of all of this. The game is not centered around soloing.

Play it how you like, but you will have disadvantages if you solo that are build upon the fact the game is built on characters working together as a team.

You can play how you like on a team as well, but if everyone is doing their own thing and not working for the good of the team, then the whole team will not perform as well as  team that is organized and works to achieve goals as a team.

That is where the OP is now. 

There is a way to get to where they want to go, but they refuse to take the path.

The OP thinks that the game should be changed to cater to them, rather than playing the game as it was intended  and, thus, achieve the goal that they want to achieve. - at least as far as I can tell, the original goal was to keep playing Kings Row radio missions ad nauseam. I didn't see anything in the original post that the goal was to solo radio missions in Kings Row.

For soloing, i'm still going with, make another character and turn of their XP when you get to a level below the cap in Kings Row and play that character when you want to solo Kings Row bank missions.  

It's just more wine and cheese at this point.

I understand both the wish the OP has to remain in KR via radio missions and the fact that this is not feasible because of game mechanics. I was just pointing out that the game was designed for much of it to be soloable; it is not an anomaly, it is a design choice--and a good one. Scaling to group size (solo and up) is a great mechanic that reaches a much broader playerbase than if the game required full groups to accomplish anything.

Most of my time in CoH is spent either solo or running with my family (wife, daughter, occasionally brother) That was true on the original servers as well. I rarely ran with a large group. Yet I had friends that only played in large groups. We all loved the game. That flexibility in design is a major strength of CoH.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1