"The events here seem beneath your notice."

Ultimo

My search fu might be inferior, but I can't imagine this hasn't been commented on before.  I hate activating my police radio and getting that message.  I think my character should be the one deciding what is beneath his notice!

The reason for this is simply a matter of personal preference and RP.  For example, I have a character who is a "street level" hero, based in King's Row.  It's like Batman being in the dingy, grungy Gotham City.  The problem is that not only has he outleveled the street thugs, but he can't even do RADIO missions, which would scale to his level.

I'd like to suggest that this restriction be removed.  Let us do radio missions, whatever zone we're in.  I'd even do them for no xp.

This argument has been made before.  Ultimately it boils down to "This is still a video game and there are rules for such things."  The way I recall it being explained back on Live was "Most of the low level enemies don't scale in any meaningful fashion so we'd have to make all new versions of the mobs that go all the way to 50 and aren't laughably weak and pointless  for high end characters."  Pretty much the way I recall it is "Low level mobs have maybe three attacks and don't do anything special, so throwing them at a 50 who can go face to face with a demigod or someone who farts lightning bolts is a waste of effort."

If you really NEED to fight street scum in a lowbie zone for your particular idiom, then I suggest you go to the AE and write your own.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, merrypessimist said:

This argument has been made before.  Ultimately it boils down to "This is still a video game and there are rules for such things."  The way I recall it being explained back on Live was "Most of the low level enemies don't scale in any meaningful fashion so we'd have to make all new versions of the mobs that go all the way to 50 and aren't laughably weak and pointless  for high end characters."  Pretty much the way I recall it is "Low level mobs have maybe three attacks and don't do anything special, so throwing them at a 50 who can go face to face with a demigod or someone who farts lightning bolts is a waste of effort."

If you really NEED to fight street scum in a lowbie zone for your particular idiom, then I suggest you go to the AE and write your own.  

Ya, I could do that, but then there would be no randomness, it would be the same thing all the time.  Of course, that would also let me use my own bad guys...

• Like 1

I would suggest simply finding someone that wants to run radio missions in that has the necessary level to run radio missions in the zone you want to run them in and team up with them.

You could even recruit for it and ask for players that are level between level x and y and to run radio missions in Zone Z and then ask them to pull missions.

You would still be the team lead, so that would pull one reason from most people for not wanting to join a team (because they don't want to be the leader).

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

47 minutes ago, Lunchmoney said:

Did you know you can turn off XPpoints?

Yes, but I don't want to STOP progressing... I just want to keep playing in the zone I like for that character.

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I would suggest simply finding someone that wants to run radio missions in that has the necessary level to run radio missions in the zone you want to run them in and team up with them.

You could even recruit for it and ask for players that are level between level x and y and to run radio missions in Zone Z and then ask them to pull missions.

You would still be the team lead, so that would pull one reason from most people for not wanting to join a team (because they don't want to be the leader).

This suggests an alternative, that we be allowed to "sidekick" ourselves to whatever level we want (only lower levels).  I thought simply letting us do the radio missions would be simpler.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Ya, I could do that, but then there would be no randomness, it would be the same thing all the time.  Of course, that would also let me use my own bad guys...

A huge commitment to a character.  But it sounds like you are one foot in.  Let me encourage you.

Using AE to write basic fights and story arcs for your character in Kings Row would in fact be writing your own characters comic book.  Then playing it!  His/her own personalized villains and weekly dramas played out in battles to save Kings Row.

I wish you good fortunes

• Like 3

You can do something like this by running an appropriate story arc in ouroboros. It exemps you down to the right level and you still earn xp and best of all merits. I spend a lot of time running lower level story arcs as I really like the feel of the early game and the rewards are often pretty good.

2 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Yes, but I don't want to STOP progressing.

Which is a contradiction of your statement about willing to do missions for no XPpoints. XPpoints are the progression.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

I think AE is the only real solution if you both want to continue to progress AND continue to use the backdrop or setting of Kings Row AND wish to do it solo or avoid exemplar status.  

25 minutes ago, Lunchmoney said:

Which is a contradiction of your statement about willing to do missions for no XPpoints. XPpoints are the progression.

Sort of ... xp are required to progress, powers and slots you acquire are the actual progress (in typical game play anyway)  and I think is what Ultimo is meaning.

If this was Live I could point you to a series in AE written by @Neuroniaan SG mate set in King's Row.  It was top notch.  I often ran it when leveling characters instead of or in addition to the normal KR contacts.  Unfortunately the last time I checked it didn't exist on HC.

But maybe a search in AE or in the proper subforum here would find similar player created material.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Clarity

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

A huge commitment to a character.  But it sounds like you are one foot in.  Let me encourage you.

Using AE to write basic fights and story arcs for your character in Kings Row would in fact be writing your own characters comic book.  Then playing it!  His/her own personalized villains and weekly dramas played out in battles to save Kings Row.

And print out dramatic screenshots to have a hard copy comic book. Just for fan-fiction fun of course.

• Like 2

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Circle of Thorns and Arachnos also scale to every level.  And in a pinch, Lost and Rikti have been known to intermingle as if they were a single faction.  But between those five factions, it might get more than a little repetitive.

But @Ultimo?  I 100% get what you're looking for and agree that it would be an excellent addition.  There are a number of game mechanics which could be modified or introduced to make the sort of gameplay you're looking for a reality.  Some are definitely complex and beyond the current scope of development resources, but there are a few low-hanging fruit options that could be relatively easy to implement.  However, much to my shared disappointment, the people who feel "it's just a game" seem to be in an overwhelming majority, and I don't think these options will be introduced with the current climate.  For now the best suggestion is to find yourself a level-locked sidekick (or make one on an alt account, which are free and unlimited), and run missions while Exemplar'd.

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

I wish you good fortunes

Actually, back in the day, I had several stories I'm in the process of trying to recreate... assuming I can relearn how to DO it.  I'll post a blurb when I finish the first.

2 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

Not precisely.  If I stop getting xp, I don't progress at all, and can't do most other content if I choose to.  I don't mind if I don't get xp for THAT ZONE, I just don't want everything there to be trivial.

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Thank goodness that the Council show up in every level range!

Punching Nazis is never beneath my notice.

Keep your eyes peeled for my World War 2 arc.  Originally, it was 5 missions long, beginning in North Africa, then leading to a battle in the hills of Sicily, then post-DDay Europe, then two missions to track down and capture the last of the German enhanced agents.  Each mission was filled with easily defeated allied and enemy soldiers (who could be dangerous, collectively), several allied superhumans based on some of my own characters, and many enemy superhumans, in most missions, more than one!  The final mission had a whole team of enemy superhumans for you and your allies to fight.

I'll keep you all posted, but I'll reiterate my original suggestion, that we be allowed to do radio missions in all zones.

• Like 3

I wonder how difficult it would be to generate radio missions that auto exemplar the toon to the max level for that zone.  Task forces already do this.  Ouro already does this.  I would think that the radio missions could be made to do the same.  Upscale would then not be necessary and you would still earn XP just as you do when you exempt down to run an ouro arc or TF.  That way someone like the OP can run their entire career in their favorite zone fighting the same mobs over and over as they see fit without any major need for level 50 skulls.

• Like 1

I also think that it would be nice to try to auto-exemplar a character to the max level for radio/newspaper missions in a zone, when they use that Contact to start a mission. It would be a bit immersion-breaking, as there isn't a real explanation for the character's loss of powers, but... it's really useful for villains, to make it easier to pick up the Exploration Badges from Mayhem Missions that may have been outlevelled.

10 hours ago, Ultimo said:

I'd like to suggest that this restriction be removed.  Let us do radio missions, whatever zone we're in.  I'd even do them for no xp.

and...

6 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Yes, but I don't want to STOP progressing... I just want to keep playing in the zone I like for that character.

Uh... so my recommendation is to turn off XP, then turn them back on when you are ready to move on.

10 hours ago, Ultimo said:

For example, I have a character who is a "street level" hero, based in King's Row.  It's like Batman being in the dingy, grungy Gotham City.

This also seems to lead to turning off XP. The thing is, if you don't turn off XP, your "street level" guy is going to soon be a "cosmic level" Incarnate.

Also, can you not do most of the missions through Ouro? I mean, it wouldn't be radios, but you could do the KR mission sets over and over. Probably more interesting than radios, anyway.

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of the Radio auto-Exemping a player, that seems like a good one. However, it is not something I really want the volunteer devs to spend their limited free time on. So, I recommend finding ways to simulate it without that feature. Several have been suggested.

10 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

Low level mobs have maybe three attacks

Heh. Even doing things "at level", I'm convinced that some of the Skulls mobs only have one attack: The Assault Rifle ability (Slug?) that has the Knockback. I've lost count of how many fights I've had against Skulls (and sometimes Hellions) who do absolutely nothing but fire Slug and then just stand there and wait for it to recharge.