Weekly Discussion 86: Base Building Wish List

GM ColdSpark

3 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

1) the ability to rotate an inbound base portal (or teleport point for that matter) so that characters exit the base portal depending on which way the portal is facing.

2) When editing, a pointer on inbound base portals/teleport points that indicate which direction characters exit from the inbound portal.

There are also some instances where when a character enters a base they run toward the base entry portal instead of away from it. (weird but true)

I like the idea of being able to change the orientation/ rotation of the base portal. Expanding on this, allow us to customize the appearance of the base portal. The bright purple vortex really clashes with many base themes.

• Like 1

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

I am an 'old school' builder; when I started I had no idea that building outside the base was even possible, so I have not done a great deal with the feature, and my bases are mostly built 'traditionally' with rooms and walls, even for outdoor areas.  I mostly am quite pleased with the base expansions on HC. 

My wishlist would include:

- More stone textures,  Marble walls would be a big plus.  So would some kind of polished surface like you see inside the Chantry and the arenas. 

- More NPCs doing emotes like jumping jacks,  crafting, protest, drumdance, that sort of thing.  NPC emotes from AE.

- NPCs from factions other than Midnighters, Arachnos, and Vanguard.  Hero Corps, signature trainers, human merit vendors, pirate ghosts.  Cimeroran versions of the current ones.

- P2W NPCs.

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

1) the ability to rotate an inbound base portal (or teleport point for that matter) so that characters exit the base portal depending on which way the portal is facing.

I dunno how hard this is (probably either trivial or geared right to the deepest game code...) but it is mildly frustrating not to be able to emerge from portals or med units facing any way but west(?). Pointable portin' in, yep!

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 1/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, Naomi said:

- Fixing item drift (I have never built outside of the plot for this reason alone, aside from lighting limitations)

I kind of assumed this was unfixable but yes yes yes, fix this and everyone who builds above the plot will love you forever (and we'll finally be able to create a base in the void by building at the bottom of the base, where the drift is currently atrocious.)

Edited by Eva Destruction

On 1/25/2021 at 2:58 PM, Dacy said:

1. Group (classify several individual items together as one item which could then be moved or manipulated)

2. Copy/paste. It is tedious to do the same thing to the same item over and over. We still do it, but a copy/paste feature would be SO nice. Or, if it can't copy/paste, maybe a "preset" feature, sort of like a radio station on your car radio. If you have a position on the dial you like, you select it so you can go back to it. So, in the editor, I position a particular item at a particular angle, maybe in a particular color if applicable, with whichever attachment I'm using, and select "preset" or whatever you want to call it, and now, when I click that item, it will come out of the editor at that angle, color, and attachment orientation, until I deselect "preset".

Came here to say basically this. ScarredSilencer also mentioned something similar. 

In particular I'd like to be able to drag-select, copy, and paste. Would help making things like interiors with standardized room layouts a bit easier.

I would also love to see a  Redo key, for those times you accidently undo something you wanted by hitting ^Z too many times. And I'd love to see the absolutely horrible bug that suddenly makes you fall through the floor or magically teleport to start for no reason, when you're trying to rotate or lift things get fixed! 

On 1/24/2021 at 4:49 AM, GM ColdSpark said:

Are there specific broken items that need a tweak?

A majority of the tables.

The "surface" for Surface placement is below the top of the table. 

in some cases, the Surface placement seems to be place the item to be placed against the bottom of the table.

I'm attaching screenshots. Each table has the same stack of three books placed by surface placement. Shots from above to show the top of the times and another from below to show the books (often) below the table surface.

Due to picture upload size restrictions, I'll probably have to post over multiple posts.

I did not take screenshots of all of the table, but most of them.

EDIT - same thing goes on with many desks as well.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Bar table - only the top book of 3 is visible

Bistro tables in the back left the books seem to be set on something below the surface entirely

Coffee table - only the top book of 3 is visible

Club table - only the top book of 3 is visible

Glass tables - book stack seems to be attached to the undersides of the tables

Mansion table - book stack seems to be attached to the undersides of the table

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.31.16.84.png

Edited by UltraAlt

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.31.41.36.png

Board room table -  - book stack seems to be attached to the undersides of the table

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.31.56.44.png

Edited by UltraAlt

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.32.16.94.png

book stack seems to be attached to the undersides of the table ::

square wooden table

Croatoa Table 1

Croatoa Table 2

University Table 1 - 1 of the three books is below the table top/surface

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.32.29.32.png

Edited by UltraAlt

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.32.36.15.png

book stack seems to be attached to the undersides of the table ::

Tsoo Table 1

Roman Table 1

Roman Table 3

Tsoo Table 2 - 1st book and maybe part of 2nd book below the table surface

Waiting room table - only the top book in the stack of 3 is visible above the table top/surface.

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.32.46.52.png

Edited by UltraAlt

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.33.06.71.png

Might not be as clear on these two tables, but only the top book of the stack of three shows up on the top/surface of these tables. hard to get good under-table shots on these that show the book stack clearly enough to make a difference

City of Heroes Screenshot 2021.01.26 - 10.33.16.71.png

For the thing I want most, I think a lot of people might say I'm asking for too much, or its not doable, or maybe even that I don't understand how game development priorities work.  If the following idea were implemented how would it improve your daily playing experience?

I see that a lot of us players are hungry for new, engrossing content.  I hear that a lot of us players want more and better ways to create content for ourselves and others. I would like to make each base into a distinct zone by marrying Architect Entertainment and bases.    Not that you would get all functions of AE in the base, instead I'm asking for a type of NPC who can give out ONE story arc.  In this way, we can use bases and (oft-requested) customizable NPCs to create more engrossing player-made narratives and give other players more reason to visit all the wonderful bases.   

Perhaps, eventually, conditions could be set, whereby completing NPC A's misson set 1, unlocks NPC B's mission set 2.  Or another add on would be to be able assign specific Ouroboros missions to NPCs in our bases.

Edited by zenijos10

6 hours ago, ssutcliffe said:

I would also love to see a  Redo key, for those times you accidently undo something you wanted by hitting ^Z too many times. And I'd love to see the absolutely horrible bug that suddenly makes you fall through the floor or magically teleport to start for no reason, when you're trying to rotate or lift things get fixed! 

Good news, it exists.  Ctrl+Y.

• Thanks 1

What items do you not have that you'd really like?

NPCs to cover more emote types

• Community Rep
7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

in some cases, the Surface placement seems to be place the item to be placed against the bottom of the table.

I find this happens much more with grid settings. With the grid off, things will appear on the surface. It still should be addressed, but that should help for now.

-Dacy

What would be helpful is if tables (and grass and other surfaces you place things on) were designated as "floors".

• Retired Developer
13 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Are there specific broken items that need a tweak?

These aren't broken and are working as intended.

You need to press F1 a few times to turn the grid off completely before you surface snap, as the grid is constraining the allowed position relative to the polygon you are targeting.

In the case of say, Glass Table 2, the height of it's surface is a non-grid divisible value of like 1.87, whereas the tables that work with the grid still on have heights of some position of *.0, *.5 *.25.

A lot of the old items are "larger than life" and were intentionally modeled this way because back then you were limited to 1.0 ft increments and little else.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Naomi said:

It isn't user friendly.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Naomi said:

You need to press F1 a few times to turn the grid off completely before you surface snap

It's things like this for why I suggested in my initial post on this topic that Bases need some kind of tutorial, even if it's just a manual to read through. Most of what you can do is unintuitive and explained nowhere inside the game, and many of the "secrets" aren't even widely known by the playerbase either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

13 hours ago, Dacy said:

I find this happens much more with grid settings. With the grid off, things will appear on the surface. It still should be addressed, but that should help for now.

-Dacy

What would be helpful is if tables (and grass and other surfaces you place things on) were designated as "floors".

Thanks

That is the work-around for the tables (tested all but two of them I did in my original posts), but it does seems like a workaround rather than something that is working as intended as here is a "surface" attachment mode ... and it works on some of the tables already.

My big issue with the surfaces (grass, wood paneling) is I keep selecting them instead of the objects on top of them.

Seems easiest to remove them and replace them after rearranging objects in a room