Please increase the number of Carnival mobs in Peregrine

RikOz

... if this is possible to do.

Issue: I have encountered not one, but two story arcs that each include at least two missions that require street-sweeping for Carnival of Shadows in Peregrine Island. Every once in a blue moon I can find a large group of Carnies to punch. Most of the time, though, I end up flying around fruitlessly and have to keep returning to those two ships docked at the south end of the island to see if maybe a few Carnies have respawned there.

This is tedious and boring. It's as bad as the Council street-sweeps in Steel Canyon, where as soon as you see some Council, they're gunned down by the 5th Column faster than you can punch them.

Lorewise, the strange lack of Carnival mobs doesn't fit with the contacts' insistence they they are causing mayhem.

• Like 3

... honestly, thinking about this you could probably replace several of the typical Malta spawn points. I mean, Malta's supposed to be a secretive, shadowy organization. You don't see the CIA standing around on the street in groups with signs saying "Hey! We're the CIA!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, RikOz said:

... if this is possible to do.

Issue: I have encountered not one, but two story arcs that each include at least two missions that require street-sweeping for Carnival of Shadows in Peregrine Island. Every once in a blue moon I can find a large group of Carnies to punch. Most of the time, though, I end up flying around fruitlessly and have to keep returning to those two ships docked at the south end of the island to see if maybe a few Carnies have respawned there.

This is tedious and boring. It's as bad as the Council street-sweeps in Steel Canyon, where as soon as you see some Council, they're gunned down by the 5th Column faster than you can punch them.

Lorewise, the strange lack of Carnival mobs doesn't fit with the contacts' insistence they they are causing mayhem.

Totally agree with you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

... honestly, thinking about this you could probably replace several of the typical Malta spawn points. I mean, Malta's supposed to be a secretive, shadowy organization. You don't see the CIA standing around on the street in groups with signs saying "Hey! We're the CIA!"

Nemesis could be trimmed down some, too. They're all over the freaking place in Peregrine.

I should have also mentioned that one of the contacts in Peregrine (Harvey Maylor, I think), once he runs out of story missions to give you, just starts handing out "defeat 50" street sweep missions. Including a "defeat 50 Carnival of Shadows" mission. That one's an all-day chore.

Ever since they added the Arena and the AE building, Peregrine Island spawns have been this messed up. There are a lot of villain groups fighting for real estate on that tiny island, when some of the nearby islands are practically empty. Why not put some almost-guaranteed spawns of Carnies and Malta on those, or even beter, move all the Rikti invading the beaches to the smaller islands nearby so they aren't so blatantly in your face when you set foot on Peregrine. Then replace the Beach Rikti with Beach Carnies.

Edited by Take One
  • Like 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

1 hour ago, RikOz said:

Nemesis could be trimmed down some, too. They're all over the freaking place in Peregrine.

Pfft. It makes sense for them to have large numbers visible. They *are* a marching band, after all...

Marching band or Nemesis invasion?

Marching band members or Nemesis invasion?

Edited by Greycat
  • Haha 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

33 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Wouldn't it be much easier to just reduce the number of enemies required for those hunts to like 5?

Except for the slight discrepancy of going from hunting down 40 Council or Rikti in Founders Fall, for various reasons, to suddenly just hunting down FIVE Carnies or Malta on Peregrine Island. You grow in power and reach a more difficult area, but your missions get easier. Weird.

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

There's all sorts of these street sweeping missions that could be made less annoying.  I can't recall the case exactly, but I know there's for for some mid level TF that goes like "go defeat 20 Freaks" and the Freaks are of course by far the rarest spawn on the entire map.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Take One said:

Except for the slight discrepancy of going from hunting down 40 Council or Rikti in Founders Fall, for various reasons, to suddenly just hunting down FIVE Carnies or Malta on Peregrine Island. You grow in power and reach a more difficult area, but your missions get easier. Weird.

They should all be about 5 or so. Hunts are never hard, just tedious.

• Like 2

Just now, Vanden said:

They should all be about 5 or so. Hunts are never hard, just tedious.

Tedium can be part of why something is difficult.

45 minutes ago, captainstar said:

More Ghosts in Croatoa would be great too. To help with the badge.

I don't know, they spawn in pretty good size mobs. The only trick with them is that they show up at night and vanish during the day (fairly standard, same with the spectral pirates in Port Oakes.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I don't know, they spawn in pretty good size mobs. The only trick with them is that they show up at night and vanish during the day (fairly standard, same with the spectral pirates in Port Oakes.)

I was trying to kill them yesterday. But most of them are in that cemitery, and just a few was flying in some spots. It's kind of boring have to wait at least 2 or 3 nights, to kill all of them.

I'm assuming this is a hunt mission that is area specific and you can't complete this by doing radio missions in PI, is that correct?

I always figured the night time hunts were to make you work on more than one arc at a time and/or do  a radio mission or two - using the other arc or radio missions to spend time until the next night cycle happens.

Maybe that's just me.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

54 minutes ago, captainstar said:

I was trying to kill them yesterday. But most of them are in that cemitery, and just a few was flying in some spots. It's kind of boring have to wait at least 2 or 3 nights, to kill all of them.

Actually, if you go south of the tram, along the woods and the like, you'll find some good size spawns as well. (As well as the cabin 'behind' the tram.) North, not so much.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Actually, if you go south of the tram, along the woods and the like, you'll find some good size spawns as well. (As well as the cabin 'behind' the tram.) North, not so much.

This.  Someone had to tell me this too, it's much easier now.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I'm assuming this is a hunt mission that is area specific and you can't complete this by doing radio missions in PI, is that correct?

One of Harvey Maylor's hunts specifically mentions a couple PI neighborhoods, but I recall that on that one the defeats still counted if I punched them elsewhere, "Elsewhere" being specifically on the two docked ships, since the Carnies were scarce even in the specified neighborhoods. I'll confess that trying radio missions never occurred to me. I don't really enjoy the safeguard/mayhem missions, so I rarely do radio missions and they aren't at the front of my brain. But I'll give that a try. The character I was playing when I started this thread currently has a hunt waiting to be done (when I got the second hunt mission of the arc, having just done a hunt a couple missions earlier, I just wasn't in the mood to do it again right then).

A few weeks ago I picked up the level 40 costume mission to hunt Nemesis, and I lucked into picking up a Nemesis story arc right after, so was able to kill two birds with one stone. That was nice. 

3 hours ago, RikOz said:

A few weeks ago I picked up the level 40 costume mission to hunt Nemesis, and I lucked into picking up a Nemesis story arc right after, so was able to kill two birds with one stone. That was nice. 

2-for-1 special. Nice.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

4 hours ago, RikOz said:

I'll confess that trying radio missions never occurred to me. I don't really enjoy the safeguard/mayhem missions, so I rarely do radio missions and they aren't at the front of my brain. But I'll give that a try. The character I was playing when I started this thread currently has a hunt waiting to be done (when I got the second hunt mission of the arc, having just done a hunt a couple missions earlier, I just wasn't in the mood to do it again right then).

Okay, nix to this idea, at least for this character. I'm doing the story arc via Ouroboros, and the Radio is not available in that scenario. *sigh* Back to regular hunting ...

22 hours ago, Greycat said:

You must have not had a hunt 50 Malta in PI recently. I literally could not find one and auto-completed it.

8 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

You must have not had a hunt 50 Malta in PI recently. I literally could not find one and auto-completed it.

... look between the buildings. I see quite a few of them. And yes, "recently." Mostly through the middle section of the island.

Or just get rid of the bullshit hunt missions full stop. They are very very often tedious, time consuming, super hard (higher level mobs) or zero xp (lower level mobs).

One particular one, from mercedes Sheldon. The arc opens at 21, and has 'kill 25 freaks in talos'...which is basically impossible, since the lowest at 24ish. That mission, on a solo squishes, seriously?

Likewise, all the hunts in PI are just worthless trash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Razor Cure said:

Or just get rid of the bullshit hunt missions full stop. They are very very often tedious, time consuming, super hard (higher level mobs) or zero xp (lower level mobs).

There are a number of seemingly pointless missions stuck in the middle of otherwise good story arcs, which I've started to suspect were inserted for some technical reason. Like, to work around some glitch. For example, there's one arc (can't recall the name of it) where your contact sends you to speak with an NPC in Skyway City. That NPC says he needs some time to get the information you need, so while you're waiting, here, do me a favor and take this completely unrelated CD-ROM to this other NPC on the opposite end of the zone, then come back. It's busy work that has no bearing on the story. A lot of the hunt missions feel the same way.

And genre-wise, many of these hunts feel out of place. Outside of "street-level" heroes like Batman or Daredevil, most superpowered heroes in comic books don't really use the "beat up random thugs until one of them spills" technique. Personally, my general "hero ethics" say I don't clobber people who aren't in the act of committing a crime. This works for instanced missions, because it can be assumed that I've entered the building/cave with knowledge that a crime is in progress, or I otherwise have "probable cause". Street sweeps, not so much, so I at least attempt to limit my "hunting" to criminals I see who are doing something illegal. Unfortunately, this gets more difficult the higher level I go. It's not hard to find Hellions or Skulls in the act of mugging, purse-snatching, vandalism, arson, etc. But once you get past Freaks/Warriors/Tsoo/Family causing trouble in IP and Talos, the criminal mobs I see out in the open are usually just ... standing there. Sure, there are "attack on sight" enemies like Rikti, Devouring Earth, Circle of Thorns demons, Vahzilok, or Banished Pantheon zombies (and their controllers), but the regular "human" enemies, if they're not actually doing anything, how am I justified in just running up and punching/blasting them? I actually kind of feel the same way about a lot of the Portal Corps missions where you take a portal to another dimension and just start punching everything in sight.