Battle cries

Salocin

Not much to it. In the end, it's just a defined chat string you can call up.

You define it in a field of your alt's ID page. I think it's limited to 32 characters or something like that.

You use it by pressing F10 in the default binds - it combines the phrase with the Attack emote.

All in all, a bit limited and not very useful. You can create any bind you like, with any emote and any phrase, on F10 or any key you like. (My choice is Alt-B for the mnemonic.) As far as I know, there are no hidden features or attributes or anything — it's just a stored string you can call up with a chat variable ($battlecry).

It may be more useful to use the battlecry definition as a spare variable for chat strings - say, your supergroup name or some other characteristic of your alt that might change with the situation. You can then use the $battlecry variable in a chat string. (The Guide has a complete section on variables.) It is the only such variable you can define; the others are drawn from your build, character name, current target etc.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

6 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

All in all, a bit limited and not very useful.

Don't tell me how to play!11!1!!!!!

I mean, about half of my characters don't have one set, but still...  😃

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

4 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Everyone knows that battle cries are used exclusively to say something witty during a cutscene!

Such as, "g Oh, god, not ANOTHER cutscene!$$em barf"

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 2/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Everyone knows that battle cries are used exclusively to say something witty during a cutscene!

This.  I've seen some good ones, and think about having mine set for just this use about half the time.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The limitation of the battle cry is one reason why I use the numpad for banter binds.  Almost all of these include the $target variable to identify the mob or character I have targeted.  Setting these up is fairly simple:

/bind numpad1 L The power of Cheese compels you, $target!

The L here directs the chats that these things generate into Local rather than whatever channel you are defaulting to at the time (important).  For things that you want to appear in team chat, substitute G for the L.  This is also needed if you want them to appear in a cutscene:

/bind numpad9 G Possessed by a dust-bunny!  What will your momma think?

These binds are actually useful.  They serve the purpose of letting your team know, say, that you have targeted the AV, especially useful on fights like Kurse or Schadenfreude.   Or announcing that you've found a Hamidon Bud away from the main league.  The more successful and interesting I find a character, the larger her repertoire will become.  They can be used for other things, such as Laird of Kinfyre's:

/bind numpad0 l Go rin yisel' agin' a wall, $target!

which announces things like Speed Boost and Recall Friend. 

Edited by Heraclea
these damn Indo-European languages and their subject-verb agreement rules!
  • Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

4 hours ago, Heraclea said:

These binds are actually useful.  They serve the purpose of letting your team know...

+1 (at least) on this. Combining team-affect powers with a chat string can really help team coordination and effectiveness.

I use it for Rest on all my alts:

/bind 0 "powexectoggleon Rest$$g <color white><bgcolor #4466ff><scale 4><bordercolor blue>^^^ Takin' a break! ^^^"
/bind - "powexectoggleoff Rest$$g <color #4466ff><bgcolor white><scale 4><bordercolor blue>— Okay, let's go! —"

...and tweak the text and colors to suit the alt's theme. It's VERY helpful to let mates know you're recharging, and when you're done.

(I keep Rest in Slot 0 for consistency, and the editable text is everything following the last >.)

But ditto on things like buffs and major attack powers. Rolling binds (with the occasional silence on frequently-used powers) can make it more tolerable.

Edited by Shenanigunner

• 3 months later

So let's see some of those battlecries!

Heraclea: I will cut them off!

Pomba Gira: Sarava Exu!

Ice Minstrel: Overture, curtain lights!

Ancient of Anxiety: Ooga booga, muh fuh!

Catrina: Iya nopilhuan!

Bonquers:  Golapo oog!

Witchfinder General: Die for thy heresy!

Maiden Heaven: Gosh darn you to Heck!

Anima Sola: Ora pro nobis!

Baroness Munchhausen: The honest truth!

Hassan i Sabbah: Mustapha Ibrahim!

Nimrod the Hunter: Be vewwy vewwy quiet!

Impetua: We can do it!

Trolls Girlfriend: Firemullet ROCKS!

Lampito: Βινεισθη!

Edited by Heraclea
  • Like 3
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Back on live I wrote some Praetorian Clockwork-speak binds for my Praetorian Clockwork Defenders.  The only one of them I can find now is: RCH.[ACL(MET)]=TRUE: CWK.USE.[ACL(MET)]

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Ignoring the 3-month thread necro for a moment, can I just point out that the OP could have answered their question themselves by spending 30 seconds on the wiki?  I assume the fact that they didn't means they were unaware of it.

The Players' Guide to the Cities/Creating a Character - Unofficial Homecoming Wiki (cityofheroes.dev)

Battle Cry

Your character's "Battle Cry" may be edited at any time by opening your I.D. Screen and editing the "Battle Cry" field. You are limited to a total of 32 characters (including spaces) in this field. By default, when you press the F10 key on the keyboard, your character will shout out their battle cry and perform the "attack" emote.

I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon here, but I believe in empowering people to find their own answers by equipping them with the knowledge of where to do so.  When someone asks a question that can be answered by the wiki, isn't it better to make them aware of its existence so they know where to find future answers?  The CoH community is a very helpful and friendly one, but I think it's by far more helpful to give people the tools they need to not just answer the immediate question, but many questions to come.

Edited by Blackbird71
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Ignoring the 3-month thread necro for a moment, can I just point out that the OP could have answered their question themselves by spending 30 seconds on the wiki?  I assume the fact that they didn't means they were unaware of it.

The Players' Guide to the Cities/Creating a Character - Unofficial Homecoming Wiki (cityofheroes.dev)

I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon here, but I believe in empowering people to find their own answers by equipping them with the knowledge of where to do so.  When someone asks a question that can be answered by the wiki, isn't it better to make them aware of its existence so they know where to find future answers?  The CoH community is a very helpful and friendly one, but I think it's by far more helpful to give people the tools they need to not just answer the immediate question, but many questions to come.

Yes I do believe I have heard of this concept before...  something about fishing...  😁

I'm glad you pointed to the HC Wiki (and not the outdated one).  Definitely something players should know about as a resource.  👍

Since I'm here posting where I didn't need to anyhow I just thought of a battle cry for my toon 'Beatdown Basher'.  To borrow a phrase from the movie 'They Live', "I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum."

(and before someone says it - yes this won't fit in the 'battle cry' area.  I would use an alternate method)

Edited by KauaiJim

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

On 5/30/2021 at 11:08 AM, KauaiJim said:

(and before someone says it - yes this won't fit in the 'battle cry' area.  I would use an alternate method)

With many of my characters, both here and back on Live, I gave up on the 'battle cry' entry block, because their background had them speaking languages that used Unicode, and "Вы будете побеждены!" or "あなたは敗北するでしょう!" won't fit in the block because Unicode characters are two ASCII characters wide, so I just bound F10 to say whatever I wanted their battle cry to be.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

My police baton/shield scrapper who is a beat cop uses Halt! $target, You are in violation of being stupid in a no stupid zone.

You must be replacing your F10 key on a regular basis.

• Haha 1