MInd/? Dom or Controller?

JnEricsonx

A couple of things:
I tend to use confuse alot on Mind/ and that does not create containment
Drain Psyche (from Psi Assault for Dom) is great for late game
/Mind has a lot of sleep, but that doesn't work well with many of the AoE oriented powers more common in support sets

I'd be leaning Dom, but just go through and look at the secondaries before you decide. Do you have a theme?

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I love both ATs, but I find myself struggling with controllers unless I feel really engaged by the concept or the primary/secondary combination. I have an Ill/Rad that I love, and Dark/Time that I really like, too, but she's lower level. Those concepts are both fun for me conceptually and the primaries have a lot of visual appeal to me.

One of my main characters is a psionic. I didn't love any of the controller secondaries/defender primaries for her as far as concept. I got her to 50 twice on live, once as Kin/Psy and another time as FF/Psi spinning those two primaries as conceptually fitting, but I didn't love either. I like mind control as a set but it's not very visually engaging and I tried her as a mind controller a few times and couldn't get into it. And by the time they proliferated the ATs across either side of the game on live, my husband and I weren't really playing much anymore.

But damn do I love her as a Mind/Psi dominator. She's into her vet levels now. She hits hard (unless it's a robot) and her lockdown capabilities are really strong. The Psy ancillary pool also gives you Link Minds which is nice for teaming, and a mez resist with Indomitable will. And I can't tell you the number of times I've felt like I single-handedly avoided a team wipe by a well-timed domination and firing off every group mez I had in different corners of a crowded room.

Depends 100% on what you want to do, support or attack. And how you like to play, such as how active you like to be. (Mind/time or mind/kin will play differently than mind/ff, for instance.)

That said, dom wise, I love mind/fire. It's a blast.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Unless you're looking to solo, Mind is much better on dominators. For a controller, it relies too much on sleeps to set up containment, which is pretty useless on teams.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Frosticus said:

Dom. It shines on them.

You'd likely be better off with dark or illusion if you want to go controller and still have similar powers (confuse and fear).

Mind on Doms is actually a good powerset. Getting double Mag on mezzes and not having to worry about Containment for damage are two huge improvements.

Mind on Controllers is pretty bad. It doesn't set up Containment very well, several useful DoTs from the secondaries put out debuffs but break Sleep, and you may have a buffing secondary and no pet to buff if soloing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll echo what others are saying.  If you're set to play a Mind control it's suited well for doms thanks to Domination and access to all of those instant controls. 

As for secondary I love love love my Mind/Energy dom, best toon I've made, great ST damage.  I hear Earth assault is pretty good too maybe Martial and Savage as well.  Psi is okay I guess but no real oomph I'd say but some decent pbaoe.  Dark is okay, the heal is the reason to go with this one.  Rad is meh same with Electric.  Haven't much experience with the rest they never fit my fancy.    

Edit: 

Forgot the OG Mind/Fiyah.  Standard real good damage plays well at range.  

Edited by Mezmera

pretty much every power in mind control gets boosted significantly by domination so i will echo that it's better on a dominator than a controller.  as for secondaries, mind relies largely on sleeps and fears for it's 'up every spawn' control powers so i would pick something that has a controllable amount of aoe and preferably not a ton in the way of DoT, although it's not a huge deal.  /energy, /dark, /fire, /earth are all strong

9 hours ago, Machariel said:

pretty much every power in mind control gets boosted significantly by domination so i will echo that it's better on a dominator than a controller.  as for secondaries, mind relies largely on sleeps and fears for it's 'up every spawn' control powers so i would pick something that has a controllable amount of aoe and preferably not a ton in the way of DoT, although it's not a huge deal.  /energy, /dark, /fire, /earth are all strong

Or just duo with a scrapper. That works, too. 😉

My husband and I run almost entirely as duoed characters.