Elec/Elec Sent vs Blaster

drgantz

People often say  that Elec Blaster isn't good because the Secondary Effects aren't practical.  This morning, someone said in game chat that Elec works very well on Sent.  He said that it has different attacks.

Does Elec Sent do more damage than a Blaster?  Does it give better End drain?  Is it better because it is more surviveable?

• Like 1

Well Ackshualally..

I put the numbers for an Elec/Rad Blaster into an older version (v1.5) of my spreadsheet and apparently it does marginally less than an Ele/Bio Sentinel. Granted the Ele/Bio Sentinel is on the most up-to-date version of the sheet, so it's taking more stuff into account, but not enough that it would dramatically sway anything.

Apparently Blaster Electric is kinda bad compared to ...Fire? I haven't really run blaster numbers on anything but Fire yet.

Edited by underfyre
Mind you it's still better than most Sentinel sets.
  • Like 1

Elec Blast is definitely a better set on Sentinels than it is on Blasters. If you properly proc out Tesla Cage and Dominate (Psi Mastery) you will not be lacking for ST damage at all on a Sentinel. In fact it would probably be at least comparable recycling them with Zapping Bolt. While Thunderous Blast won't hit the spike damage of blaster, it is up twice as often, albeit affecting fewer targets. 

Sentinels are always a trade-off on spike damage and number targets in terms of AoE. That said, a blaster recycling Lightning Bolt, Zapp, and their version on Tesla Cage (procced) would probably be outdone by a Sentinel with advanced slotting who takes Psi Mastery. 

I have both an Elec3 Sentinel and an Elec3 Blaster and far far FAR prefer the Sentinel. It's a much more complete build. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, CaptTastic said:

Elec Blast is definitely a better set on Sentinels than it is on Blasters. If you properly proc out Tesla Cage and Dominate (Psi Mastery) you will not be lacking for ST damage at all on a Sentinel. In fact it would probably be at least comparable recycling them with Zapping Bolt. While Thunderous Blast won't hit the spike damage of blaster, it is up twice as often, albeit affecting fewer targets. 

Sentinels are always a trade-off on spike damage and number targets in terms of AoE. That said, a blaster recycling Lightning Bolt, Zapp, and their version on Tesla Cage (procced) would probably be outdone by a Sentinel with advanced slotting who takes Psi Mastery. 

I have both an Elec3 Sentinel and an Elec3 Blaster and far far FAR prefer the Sentinel. It's a much more complete build. 

Cap speaks the TRUTH.

I also think it comes down to what you want to accomplish. Do you want to just output a ton of damage right away? Go with a Blaster.

Do you want to be a nearly undying Electric God who basically keeps entire groups endurance at zero so they can barely fight back? Go with the E3 Sentinel. In my (admittedly brief) experience so far, the enemies will slowly be "arrested." It will take more time than a blaster, but it is inevitable. All the while being MUCH safer. Plus, it's just a ton of fun to play.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have both... plus an elec/elec/elec Fender. between the 3 of them, I can't decide which one is the most fun to play. they're all awesome and incredibly tough. The blaster tends to die more, only because I play him maniacally aggressive. I also have an elec/elec dom on the way 😃

Pro tip. if you customise the elec attacks to red, they become stronger. bright yellow is a very close second.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, CaptTastic said:

On the spreadsheet I had to use Zapp, Lightning Bolt, Charged Bolts and Ball Lightning to get a high dps rotation. Even a procced out Tesla Cage just ain't where it's at. The base damage of 9.38 with a 2.17 activation is not Dominate with 52.83 damage and a 1.1 activation.

1 hour ago, underfyre said:

On the spreadsheet I had to use Zapp, Lightning Bolt, Charged Bolts and Ball Lightning to get a high dps rotation. Even a procced out Tesla Cage just ain't where it's at. The base damage of 9.38 with a 2.17 activation is not Dominate with 52.83 damage and a 1.1 activation.

Yup, Sentinel Tesla Cage is just another gravy entirely to the blaster version. Good base damage and it can take as many procs as you want to put into it. 

826754452_TeslaCage.jpg.007ad5f72502b3d2610829325fb67352.jpg

• Like 3

I think the difference in Tesla Cage is what makes the Sentinel set better. The Blaster's Voltaic Sentinel does higher damage, but because he isn't buffed by very much, his damage output isn't some great boon that causes a massive offset. The pet is what makes Electric put out more damage than more sets though, especially on Corruptors that can slot it with an epic damage proc.

Rad character design btw.

Edited by underfyre
Derp. Blasters can also slot an epic damage proc, but it's better served in Lightning Bolt than in the pet.
  • Thanks 1

As I have an E³ in the works myself:

how is elec mastery?

I'm planning for AoE immob, second ST hold, the lightning field (slotted to drain even more end), and the chain heal.

Is the chain heal any good?

(building a troller without the AT... and with built-in status protect)

I've never really liked the Blaster masteries even with the villain side patron pools.

(For some weird reason I very often end up in teams that are trollers+domis only, or teams that are blaster-heavy with no tanks or healers).

1 hour ago, Spectral said:

how is elec mastery?

I'm planning for AoE immob, second ST hold, the lightning field (slotted to drain even more end), and the chain heal.

I've never really liked the Blaster masteries even with the villain side patron pools.

(For some weird reason I very often end up in teams that are trollers+domis only, or teams that are blaster-heavy with no tanks or healers).

Don't think you need the second hold and the chain heal tbh. The heal will only heal for around 10-12% tops.

Think if you are trying to build more of a higher damage controller rather than Sentinel, it could fit thematically, but don't think that heal is ever going to change the course of a bad situation.  In truth, think Elec3 does enough AoE control out of the box to be described as a hybrid AT of sorts, without needing to build for extra. 

Stacking holds are great for trollers/doms/blasters, but a Sentinel can easily stand toe-to-toe with a boss without needing to worry about him. As an Elec3 that boss will likely not have any endurance to able to attack you anyway. 

Chain Fences is a great power, though. Quick recharge, does a little damage, and works great with Lightning Field as it keeps them in the end drain (Chain Fences does end drain in its own right too)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spectral said:

how is elec mastery?

The chain heal is really weak.

The AoE Immob is excellent, especially for E3 who will have mobs drained and looking to run away. It will also help with draining and -Recovery.

ST Hold is not needed, as mobs should be drained & Immobilized (effectively Held).

Edit: think of the E3, in terms of Control, as shutting mobs down with a combination of Immobilize and Drain, not with actual controls. With Thunderous Blast and Short Circuit slotted with some End Mod, plus Power Sink as a backup, the only reason you won't permanently shut down entire spawns in two hits (and one more to Immobilize most) is the target cap.

Edited by Coyote
  • Like 1

• 1 year later

This is all most valuable stuff, greatly appreciated! I am looking for an E3 Buidl for my own toon. Anybody here care to share one?

Thanks!

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

On 3/28/2022 at 5:04 AM, PhoenixV117 said:

Anyone got an elec bio?  Post changes

New changes won't affect builds much. Building to "exploit" Shock damage isn't worth it, and Sparky should already be in builds. Just throw heavy side-eye at people that weren't using him. They were never meant to be role models.

Edited by underfyre

Maining an Elec/Elec/Mu Sent for a while, It's pretty much what everyone else has said, you kinda become an untouchable god. might take a second longer to kill things, but they can't fight back without end and can't really hurt you at all.

+ A note, if you're Elec/Elec, you can do a zero travel build, Sprint+Swift+Lightning Reflexes combined with concealment pool for stealth/slottble NR which gives you 2 luck slots for recharge as well.

Gives you a LOT of build flexibility as well for epics/secondaries, haven't respecced my own build even after the changes to elec, but as-is it still destroys pretty much anything that crosses it's path, as long as you know target priority (If it's toxic and you're elec armor, kill it fast)

On 2/16/2021 at 12:26 AM, CaptTastic said:

Would you happen to have a build @CaptTastic? Sounds fun!

Edited by Glowman

• 3 weeks later
On 3/28/2022 at 8:46 PM, underfyre said:

New changes won't affect builds much. Building to "exploit" Shock damage isn't worth it, and Sparky should already be in builds. Just throw heavy side-eye at people that weren't using him. They were never meant to be role models.

Shocked proc on Sent is one of the few proc you can utilize more efficiently than other AT.  One method how people build sent around the secondary effect of the nuke being half the time of a blasters nuke but full secondary effect. Elec blast set really can utilize that mass end drain on the nuke at a regular pace . Second the Tesla cage shock mechanic is different on sent and works better than other AT .  

Elec/bio IMO is one of the top sent damage builds if not number one. The amount of shock with offensive proc on top of unlimited chaining is like a energizer bunny proc just role in. Comparable to a good Scrapper or a bad blaster and IMO elec blaster is not a good blaster primary (compared to other blaster sets)

Elec/Energy sent safer solid tougher but damage isn’t close to bio.

Elec/Elec Any res sent set has it rough compared to def it’s not that res is bad it’s sent can’t get enough but again a recharge build with a player who know how to control surge drop is still good  to roll threw  99% of content

Here are some numbers on Thunderous blast Sent max end drain -110%  or max recharge at 20 sec  sweat spot 21.2 sec recharge  - 81% end drain. 

Edited by Ironscarlet