So how tall do you guys make your characters?

Beef Ninja

Since I make my characters as average joes and janes with some superpowers, I rarely alter their height. I think I can't call them average if they are seven feet tall!

Also, in my opinion, the default body proportion is a bit weird. The legs are way too long relative to the torso. So, when I maximize its height, the default female looks like a utility pole. The male is slightly better, but its size accentuates its proportion mismatch.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:18 PM, Heraclea said:

My characters run the gamut.  The one limiting factor is that my female characters almost always have the shortest possible legs, which helps them look human; the default is way too 1990s mannerism for me.  I would only use the default if I were rolling a Wisp or something.  (Now there's an idea.) 

Same.  I shorten those legs every time.  Often wondering if it makes my characters look to much alike.  😛  I'm sure my love of Large Boots doesn't help it.

As for the OP.  I to run the gamut.  Generally though, 5-5'3 for females, though I have a couple taller ones.  I know I have one male set to 6'3 and he can still come out looking short when next to other PCs.  😛  Not NPCs.  PCs!

Unless I have a specific reason for a character to be taller or shorter, I don't bother with the Height slider. However, like the two previous posters, I usually shorten my female characters' legs. It appears to me that the original devs gave the female model "comic book legs" by default. And I think the unnaturally long legs of comic book women works well with a comic book's static images, and probably even for 2D animation (cartoons).

But the unnaturally longs legs don't, in my opinion, work well for 3D animated models. They look okay when the character is standing still, but as soon as they start running ... ouch. They end up looking horribly bowlegged, particularly with the default wider hips. So the first thing I do with my female models is drag both the Legs and Hips sliders all the way down, and then I rebalance the narrowed hips by boosting the Physique slider to put a bit of meat back on them.

I spent a couple hours running every character I have to a tailor to check their height. About 2/3 of them are clustered between 5'10" and 6'8", fairly evenly spread in that range. I've only got three taller characters, including one at maximum height. I have two more clusters, at 5'5" and 5'0", then two characters at minimum height.

Edited by Placta
Correctness.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

It all depends on what I'm feeling, but I haven't generally had any "statuesque" types yet, but I haven't really built the backstory for any characters who WOULD be statuesque. My current main Bowshock is about 5'11". Another character, Safehouse, a brash, hotheaded, cocksure young hero with strong powers and a Superman complex, is shorter than average, at 5'5", and it's a bit of a sore spot for him. He hates the thought that anybody would overlook or underestimate him because of the general association of "height" with "power."

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

I use all the default costume slots to give each toon a variety of heights. Slot 0 is minimum size -- travel size -- because it just feels like short bodies move quicker and it's easier to squeeze between pipes in the sewer and other map obstacles.

Slot 1 is maximum height, so I can fight the EBs on the ITF eye-to-eye. Also for the battles where I really want to see where I am in the swarm.

The other slots will be a mix of minimum height and Super Human slightly above average height for role-play or lounging around or costume contests.

97-% of the height slider.

when I was young I always did the shortest, now I’m near the tallest. I hate being shorter than others in game.

this is true in other games — loved Elvaan in FF11 and Roe in FF14, females