So how tall do you guys make your characters?

Beef Ninja

So awhile back I made a female character who I just left with the default sliders and while playing I noticed that civilians where towering over her, and ever since I've made sure to always change female characters height to match the default male height when designing costumes. Then the other day I finally made one of those designs an actual in game character, and I noticed that she was weirdly taller than the roided out Destroyers... I just can't win.

Anyway what are your opinions? How tall is to tall? How tall is not tall enough?

Um, I guess it depends on how realistic you're trying to go with it? Many of my characters get set to under the 5ft mark because I have found that I personally prefer the vantage provided from the shorter viewpoint. I feel like I get more screen real estate when I zoom out on my tiny toons. But some I go by "realistic" standards--many of my humans stay around the 5'5" mark, some of my other characters go over the 6ft mark (like, all my Saber Force toons are a minimum of 6ft). I think I only have one or two characters that have hit around the 7ft mark.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

I agree with the start of the OP.  If you think you're going to be tall at 6' or 6'2" you'll find yourself dwarfed by 8ft tall council members and 10ft tall Freakshow.  So I just go with small toons (and yes, they're all monkeys).  Plus small toons do much much faster travel animations.  Anything else feels so slow to me.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Melee characters tend to have their eyes on the 6 foot line. This makes them comparable to Non-Tank Freakshow, and they look good compared to citizens.

Other archetypes, I put the top of the head on the 6 foot line, which keeps them from looking too "Tanky", but they project a "super-powered" air.

Now, if I have a specific idea in mind, then the above goes out the window. Since you can change your name/ body model/ height/ etc without too much hassle, some characters get full identity makeovers at some point in their careers.

• Like 1

Generally speaking, having my characters in around the low 6' range makes them feel "average" compared to everyone else. For males at least, whenever I make a female character they tend to stay default height.  Of course, this is barring cases where concept demands a bigger character, I ended up having to increase my Crab's height several times because I was not as big as NPC Crabs.

My characters run the gamut.  The one limiting factor is that my female characters almost always have the shortest possible legs, which helps them look human; the default is way too 1990s mannerism for me.  I would only use the default if I were rolling a Wisp or something.  (Now there's an idea.) 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Big, medium, or small.  It depends.

Same here.... I have a few who are max height. I also have a couple who are tiny. Most are somewhere in the middle, though that usually means adding a little to the "starting height" to keep them from looking like shrimps next to everything else in the game.

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

15 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

My characters run the gamut.  The one limiting factor is that my female characters almost always have the shortest possible legs, which helps them look human; the default is way too 1990s mannerism for me.  I would only use the default if I were rolling a Wisp or something.  (Now there's an idea.) 

Now I cannot unsee it.

• Haha 1

It depends on my view for the toon, and my mood at the moment.

I think about what what they would do in their day job and how they would look.  I also believe their powers and AT will affect their personality and looks.  I make a judgement on height from there.

More powerful types (Blasters, tanks, brutes) would probably have larger bodies than the rest of the AT types.

Step 1: drag the legs slider to minimum.

Step 2: set a reasonable height.

Step 3: adjust head size (usually somewhat smaller).

I know it's a cartoon world, but giraffe-leg toons with big heads (and breasts like moons) gets exasperating.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 hour ago, DZKFire said:

I noticed this too. I made my character ~5ft 10in which is average where I live for males. I noticed every single NPC towered over me

The entire city is latent super.

So, is it weird that you have these muscular "tall for the NBA" types running around, screaming like they're gonna die?

Meanwhile, this bastard child of a fireplug and the entire Lullaby League runs up and beheads criminals with axes and swords to "arrest" them.

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Most of my character are around 6' or just over as that feels about the right size to manage in game for most play (a super big or super small toon can be more of a hindrance sometimes for various reasons).  I do however run the spectrum as I do have some 'outliers'.  I have 2 toons max height for thematic reasons.  I have 2 minimum height for thematic reasons.  I have one male I made 5'5" because that is my height.  I also tend to make my female toons a bit shorter than the males however I do have a couple of tall females.  

Also, I am in total agreement about adjusting the 'leg' slider down on most toons.  Middle setting just looks to odd for me.  On that note, I tend to turn up the waist a bit (not all the way) and sometimes turn down the breasts a tiny bit on females as on some costumes even at mid setting looks like two big soup bowls on their chest.  I just can't picture some poor gal with double D's jumping around fighting.  Also, on males I tend to turn the hips slider all of the way down because to me they look odd running.  On females it looks fine to me but for some reason on males it looks weird.  (not being sexist here, I just my humble opinion).  As for the other sliders - all over the map.  Tankers and brutes tend to be bulkier, ranged tends to be slimmer. 

Hey here's an idea for the devs - AoC has an ability called Lumbering Hulk that is a toggle that buffs your toon (with a speed penalty).  What makes it unique is that your toon actually 'grows' in height and size.  It's not that noticeable in that game, but when Champions launched they had an ability (it was a rare drop that I somehow managed to get ahold of) that was bugged for a while but when you clicked it your toon would literally become Godzilla sized.  Some of us used to turn into giants and stand around in the main zone freaking out the new players! lol.  Anyhow, wouldn't it be fun if we could make a tiny little tank toon that grows BIG when he goes into battle!?!?  Just a thought - be gentle...  🙂

Edited by KauaiJim
typos

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Mixed heights.  It depends on the character's backstory.

Control Tower is maxed on the slider, but then it's in his name, Tower.

Most of my characters run between 5 foot 10 inches and 6 foot.

I've got a Central American character with a bit of a cool Don Johnson Miami Vice look going on.  I deliberately made him slightly shorter, trying to match the strikingly uniform height of the Central American neighbors around me.

And then there's the Flea Circus.  I've several characters reborn from the Flea Circus Super Group I was a part-time member of back in the original game.  I deliberately set them at the low end of the slider, as did everyone involved in the FCSG.  Seeing circus characters running around in miniature seems to make folks smile a lot.

• Like 1

Seriously though.
Hyper is basically as tall as you can get him.  But there are attempts to "skinny" him down so he doesn't look like he comes home with the crotch worn out of his suit from chafing...

Then there's my smallest brute Kathoom.  Little fireplug with Bull's Horns.

And my PB Eclipse Phase.  Tiny, and packs a wallop.

Hell!  Sometimes I don't even max the chest sliders on my female avatars!

Boob afficionadoes everywhere HATE that action...

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!