What kind of hardware is necessary to run high graphics?

12 minutes ago, Chaos Ex Machina said:

I’m looking to get a feel of minimum specifications so from the sound of things...

Would 4th gen i5 3GHz 8GB and 1050 be right around the minimum?  Is that too little?

A 4th gen Intel (family name Haswell) processor with 8GB of RAM and

an NVIDIA GTX1050 should do fine (unless you are talking

about a 4k monitor @ 60fps). Don't forget an SSD!

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Thanks 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

Historically, the 32 bit version of the game always seemed to push the 1.5 Gb envelope (and crash), so machines with only 4 Gb of RAM (my first laptop when playing the game) are going to have a hard time. That said, I HAVE tested this game to function on a 1 Ghz  Intel ATOM convertible with an APU and 1 Gb of RAM (because I could). If I were to build a minimal PC now a days, then I'd be looking for semi-recent Gen CPU, 16 Gb RAM, Discrete GPU with 4 Gb vRAM. That should do most things one might need without going overboard, but that's the low end of what I'd Really want.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

5 minutes ago, Christopher Robin said:

A 4th gen Intel (family name Haswell) processor with 8GB of RAM and

an NVIDIA GTX1050 should do fine (unless you are talking

about a 4k monitor @ 60fps). Don't forget an SSD!

Honestly though, for longevity sake, I wouldn't waste money on something that isn't from the last 2-3 Gens so that you get the most out of it (because the board is likely brand new still).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

3 minutes ago, Christopher Robin said:

Ah the eternal "What I really want even though I cannot justify it at all" vs. "What I could get by with until that newer faster X comes out." bdD2kT31_o.gif

vs. what can I get the missus to let me buy. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Honestly though, for longevity sake, I wouldn't waste money on something that isn't from the last 2-3 Gens so that you get the most out of it (because the board is likely brand new still).

Chaos is asking for the minimum specs, not for longevity but honestly the game hasn't changed it's

requirements for a long time and most likely will not any time soon so unless he suddenly gets a new 4k

or 8k monitor anytime soon, what will play the game well now will play the game well many years from now.

5 minutes ago, Icanav said:

vs. what can I get the missus to let me buy. 

Unless a high IQ, copious tech knowledge and modest artistic ability suddenly

become desirable among "the ladies" I don't see that being a problem for me... yay? rs4wmRnk_o.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

41 minutes ago, Christopher Robin said:

Chaos is asking for the minimum specs, not for longevity but honestly the game hasn't changed it's

requirements for a long time and most likely will not any time soon

Oh no, I mean the life of the hardware itself. While some of us fair better with our tech, I almost always encourage new components if looking for a device that otherwise may not have a singular purpose. IE: Purchasing the PPC for the purposes of testing and running that platform natively.

2 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Oh no, I mean the life of the hardware itself. While some of us fair better with our tech, I almost always encourage new components......................................

Oh I get you. Like an older Motherboard blowing a capacitor or a Power Supply that gives up the ghost?

That's a fair point but it sounds like his most expensive item (the GTX1050) is only 2 generations old.

CPU's rarely fail unless you bend a pin during insertion or something. RAM can die on you but it's

very simple to replace. I would definitely look for a dependable motherboard (there are several

good ones from that series) & Power Supply as those can be costly and/or difficult to replace.

For storage I would absolutely buy a new Solid State Drive seeing as flash memory is

so cheap GBp$ right now and because that is where all your precious data resides.

Also @Chaos Ex Machina you did mean NVIDIA 1050 right? You didn't specify

and there's also an AMD Radeon 1050 videocard that is much older/slower.

• Thanks 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

I didn't intend to start a red v. blue debate... decades ago I had a decent card from the company I will no longer buy from, and I was quite disappointed by my last experience. When I am replacing video cards, I rarely go close to the cutting edge... if I had spent more time searching user experiences (and not tech reviews) I could have saved myself a LOT of grief.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

The thing to keep in mind is overall trends. No one company is always best or worst.

Sorry to be "that guy".  But AMD and ATI have GENERALLY been a situation of "good hardware, crap drivers".
That didn't change.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

4 hours ago, Chaos Ex Machina said:

I’m looking to get a feel of minimum specifications so from the sound of things...

Would 4th gen i5 3GHz 8GB and 1050 be right around the minimum?  Is that too little?

It should be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tidge said:

I didn't intend to start a red v. blue debate...

Technically, with NVIDIA in the mix, it's a Red, Blue, Green debate.

Enjoy the struggle to keep your sanity!

Just FYI for anyone using Nvidia cards and feeling technopotent, please check out NVSlimmer over on guru3d.com.

You'll be glad you did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

This thread was interesting for me to read. Back in the old days, before the snap, I played at being the ATI Guru and tried to help other ATI users as much as I could so that they could enjoy the game as much as I did.

Then a time came when Paragon Studios actually teamed up with AMD (or maybe this was before AMD bought ATI, my memory is failing) and all of the sudden all the little eccentricities and failures of ATI drivers in this game were suddenly fixed. ATI's superior graphics quality but unbelievably craptacular drivers just started working fine.

My role as the guru was no longer needed.

Flash forward 6+ years, and I don't use AMD cards anymore because the drivers just got worse and worse. I wouldn't buy an AMD vid card these days.

4 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

This thread was interesting for me to read. Back in the old days, before the snap, I played at being the ATI Guru and tried to help other ATI users as much as I could so that they could enjoy the game as much as I did.

Yes.  I gave you endless shit about it.  You're probably STILL getting daily shipments of it, a good 8-10 years later!  😜

4 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Flash forward 6+ years, and I don't use AMD cards anymore because the drivers just got worse and worse. I wouldn't buy an AMD vid card these days.

Pssst.  When I said Team Green had cookies?

I LIED!!!

😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ScarySai said:

Single core speed's going to get the most mileage, since the game can't properly use all of them for modern cpus.

The game?  No.  But the extra cores are nice for silly things like...y'know, keeping the OS running, etc.

21 hours ago, tidge said:

I didn't intend to start a red v. blue debate... decades ago I had a decent card from the company I will no longer buy from, and I was quite disappointed by my last experience. When I am replacing video cards, I rarely go close to the cutting edge... if I had spent more time searching user experiences (and not tech reviews) I could have saved myself a LOT of grief.

Yeah me either. It just looks like I'm in the minority because I have had only positive experiences with AMD cards. To be fair my wife had a Nvidia chip in her notebook and it never gave her any problems either. I've been lucky I guess. Like CR said just do your homework and learn what to avoid and what's good when you're ready to buy.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, Seen2BeGreen said:

Big brains are sexy!

I should introduce you to my pal Russell, good guy, heart of gold (or possibly copper).

He's got the biggest brain I've ever seen (seriously it fills like a third of the tank).

He's fiercely loyal and even though he has a bit of a wandering eye problem

it's mostly because they free float not because he is checking out other

women. His ex-girlfriend Penny can be a super headache though.

• Haha 3

07K1tHnz_o.png

kYftkbzZ_o.gif Thanks.

Heh, yeah, his name was Russell while he lived. It wasn't in a lot of the early clockwork stuff but

Penelope Yin calls him by name in part one of the Pandora's Box Signature Story Arc from Wavelength.

18 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

.......................................... Remember BillZ when I promised Team Green had cookies?
I LIED!!!

FTFY Hyper. HmWYqjbR_o.gif

If you're gonna reference Commando...

• Haha 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

40 minutes ago, Christopher Robin said:

kYftkbzZ_o.gif Thanks.

Heh, yeah, his name was Russell while he lived. It wasn't in a lot of the early clockwork stuff but

Penelope Yin calls him by name in part one of the Pandora's Box Signature Story Arc from Wavelength.

FTFY Hyper. HmWYqjbR_o.gif

If you're gonna reference Commando...

Yeah but Bill objected to being dangled over a cliff by his ankle.

He had this strange notion that I would, for some reason...drop him.

When *COUGH* nothing could be *COUGH* further from the *COUGH*COUGH* truth.  *COUGH*COUGH*COUGH*BS!!!*COUGH*

CrazyEvilSmiley.jpg.859f11e89f493ee59db46a421230bac4.jpg

• Haha 2

On 3/7/2021 at 12:12 PM, ScarySai said:

Single core speed's going to get the most mileage, since the game can't properly use all of them for modern cpus.

Edit: if I remember right, (I did!) it was -renderthread 1 to enable the use of dual or hyperthreaded cores. This was important to me VERY early on because I gamed on a supermassiveawesome server class dual P3 board. Which hangs on my wall to this day...

Edited by Bill Z Bubba